Landing

Paper Airplane

"I know I hurt you. Like an idiot, by trying to lessen the hurt I knew I was gonna cause, I hurt you a Hell of a lot more than I meant to..." 

"Do you get why I was so hurt?" We're really talking, Brian thinks happily, hopefully. He nods slowly,

"Because I decided everything for us without even talking to you first,"

"Yeah. Which made me feel like you decided I wasn't worth trying for."

"That's not what I meant-"

"I know, but it really felt like it. I get it, we're gonna be in 2 completely different countries, opposite time zones and it's not like we can visit each other's uni campuses on our free time... But it would've been nice to be given the chance to decide that."

"I'm sorry." Brian acknowledges and Jae gives him a sad smile,

"I should've talked to you about, asked you or something... but that's why I'm trying to make it up to you now, if I even can. Or at least just try to make you hate me less before I go." and Jae laughs, or more accurately, blows air through his nose in slight amusement. 

"I'm really sorry about breaking up with you. I'm sorry I didn't talk to you about Toronto, I'm sorry I just dropped a bunch of things on you and I'm sorry I didn't talk. Honestly, looking back, I don't know how you didn't slap me in the face because I was being so annoying, sorry," and Jae giggles, just barely and that causes Brian to smile. 

"I really mean this, Jae." and he knows what he's going to say,

"I love you." and he tries really hard to suppress the smile that Brian can tell is creeping up,

"And I'm really sorry." and it goes quiet. They're just staring at each other, Brian not doing anything to prompt a response, and Jae just looking into eyes he's been avoiding for 2 weeks.

"That was better," Jae replies with a small smile, and Brian's confused.

"What?"

"When you broke up with me, you apologized... but you said you were sorry for dating me. I'm happy I didn't have to hear that again. You apologized for the right thing this time," he jokes, nudging Brian with his elbow playfully.

"I love you too." and Brian's eyes go wide with excitement, 

"But we're not done talking." Jae warns, laughing when Brian drops his shoulders to sulk. 

"I'm just happy we're talking, to be honest... I really missed you." 

"I'm gonna miss you." Jae says, his eyes on the airplane that's about to take off and Brian habitually grabs his chin, and pulls him in for a kiss. Jae doesn't resist, kissing him back immediately. When they pull away, Brian's eyes linger on Jae's lips and he whispers,

"So, are we back together?" 

"No, I'm still mad at you." Jae pouts and it's too cute to ignore so Brian gives him a quick peck, 

"Fair... But after you're done being mad at me, are we back together?" he asks, cutely resting his head on Jae's shoulder, looking up at him with pleading eyes. Jae shoves him off,

"You're so annoying," but he has the widest smile as he says that and Brian goes behind him to wrap his arms around him. He missed this, a lot. He nestles his face into the crook of Jae's neck, 

"I said I was mad at you," Jae warns with a smile,

"Oh c'mon, I know you missed this."

"Doesn't change the fact that I'm mad at you." and Brian goes to unwrap his arms when Jae places his hand on top of Brian's. 

"You're so cute," Brian says between laughter and places kisses on Jae's neck. They settle into comfortable silence, watching the planes and Jae gets sad again. A couple of minutes pass by when Brian starts,

"Hey Jae?" and Jae can feel the vibrations on Brian's chest that he's leaning on now.

"Hm?"

"I know you're still mad at me... But can I ask you to still be my boyfriend even when I leave?" and Jae doesn't respond just yet, letting Brian continue,

"I get it if you don't want to. It'll be hard, and you're going into university where you'll meet a ton of new people, people who would be able to be by your side daily... You could easily find someone else, someone who'd be able to hug you, kiss you, and hold your hand at school. Lucky," Brian whispers but Jae can hear it,

"So I'd get it if you said no... I just wanted to ask this time."

"Hell yeah, that's hard..." Jae starts, but smiles as he says,

"But we can try. People do it, so why can't we?" and Brian squeezes him tighter and just repeatedly whispers "thank you" as a plane lands.

They talk other things out, Brian telling Jae he's going to be majoring in Business Administration, the airline and flight details. He talks about how big the campus is, comparing it to Hogwarts in the heart of Toronto, to which Jae approves after Brian shows him some photos. They continue talking, making up for regretfully lost time from the short amount they have left together, watching planes and enjoying each other's presence until the sky is dark. 

"I gotta get you home," Brian says from the ground, arms crossed and elbows propped up on the back of the truck that Jae refuses to get out of. He's wearing a content smile,

"No~" Jae groans,

"C'mon, it's late," he points out and Jae sits up.

"Fine, but if we're going home, you're staying for dinner."

"Don't your parents hate me now?"

"My mom's literally a cheerleader for us, and my dad said he missed his billiards buddy."

"Really? When?" Brian asks with a happy smile,

"He let it slip like last week when we were in the basement." Jae answers and they laugh.

"Okay, stop distracting me, let's go." and he extends his hand. Jae tosses the pillow to the side and grabs Brian's hand, intertwining their fingers when he hops down. They get back in the truck, and drive home, Brian not letting go of Jae's hand as he steers with one hand - being extra careful to make up for it.

"Come in," Jae says, motioning with his hand for Brian to come inside as he stands outside,

"I-Is it okay?"

"Oh Brian! Did you guys talk things out?" Jae's mom asks from, popping her head into the foyer from the kitchen.

"Yes mom... thanks for lying about the time by the way,"

"You waited 19 minutes to go out anyway!" she says and hugs her son as Jae rolls his eyes.

"What're you doing outside, Bri? Come in, let's have dinner." she says with a welcoming smile, and Brian's reminded of where Jae gets his kindness from. 

"Are you sure?" he asks with a nervous smile. Jae walks over, grabs his hand and pulls him, 

"Yeah, c'mon, show my mom the photos of your campus," he says with a smile and Brian wants to cry. What a beautiful person to fall in love with. Brian reluctantly goes inside and greets Jae's dad with a polite shake of hands. They talk over dinner, Brian talking about the university he'll be attending, and the couple sharing their plan, or lack thereof, for their future. Brian's thankful he's able to sit at this table again, accepted and welcomed with forgiving arms, and he looks to his side to see the person he really wants to treat right.

 

Brian's leaving the day after graduation, which comes too quickly for either of them. It's weird, the 2 weeks they were apart felt like 2 months, but these 2 weeks felt like 2 minutes. 2 minutes of make-up dates, the group teasing them with "we knew you guys were gonna get back together", taking advantage of Jae's parents being out of town for a night. A night with kisses that escalated and involved Brian asking "are you sure?" before Jae's room was filled with gasps and moans. And as much as they hated their approaching goodbye, it still came. 

"Oh, flowers?" Jae asks when he opens the door, Brian already in his gown and cap.

"For my favourite graduate," he says with a dashing smile, and Jae accepts them.

"Lame!" Sungjin screams from the car,

"Why did I agree to give him a ride to the ceremony?" Brian thinks aloud and Jae laughs,

"Because graduates have to be there early, and Junhyeok took the usual,"

"Oh, the usual? Look at you, all natural in the group now." Brian teases, 

"Brian, you look so cute with your suit!"

"Thank you, Mrs. Park," he replies, smiling as Jae nods in agreement.

"Sweetie get over there, let me take photos of you two," and Jae doesn't protest, going to Brian's side with the flowers. Brian naturally places his arm around Jae's waist, pulling him just a bit closer and they smile as Jae's mom takes multiple photos.

"What's taking so long!" Sungjin yells, oblivious to the impromptu photoshoot and Brian laughs,

"Mrs. Park is taking photos of us, be patient!" he yells back and and he laughs even harder at Sungjin's response of,

"O-Oh! Sorry! I mean, it's not taking long at all!" and Mrs. Park says with light laughter,

"Sungjin-ah, come here for photos!" and he promptly does so, quickly exiting the car and joining for the photos, standing on the other side of Jae.

Jae smiles and thinks it's funny, the current trio taking photos. How 10 months ago, he randomly confessed to Brian thinking it was Sungjin, and in some twist of fate, Brian's initial words were right "maybe it was fate". He's thankful the window was open that day, that Sungjin didn't get the letter, and that Brian agreed to help him. Things may be very different if he confessed to Sungjin that day, instead it was just an early confession to his current boyfriend.

"Honey, stop taking photos, they'll be late," Jae's dad says, walking over and smiling at the boys.

"Oh right! Okay, you boys should get going. We'll see you soon, drive safe Brian!"

"Yes ma'am," he replies as they walk to the car, Jae kicking Sungjin out of passenger seat. 

When they get to the venue, they meet up with the rest of their group before having to fall in line according to their last name. The ceremony is long, and rather boring. Jae doesn't even know half of the people that go up on stage and receive their diploma, just claps respectfully and receives slight entertainment if the recepient's friends decide to yell something as they walk across stage. He wonders how time went by so quickly, he remembers the first day of highschool. He remembers being alone for 2 years, until he decided to randomly make a paper airplane which brought him to 5 other boys. 1 a little more special than the rest, he thinks with a smile. 

"Kang Younghyun," one of the school's staff announces, breaking Jae out of his trance as he watches his boyfriend who's wearing that classic dashing smile that's hard to resist. He shakes the principal's hand, the vice principals' and poses for the official photo with his diploma. Jae claps extra enthusiastically, and considering he's in the same row as Sungjin, he clearly hears,

"Kang Bri!" and Brian smiles wider as Jae screams,

"Woo! Love you!" with a smile. He faintly hears Dowoon and Junhyeok cheering, and can see Wonpil in line jumping in support despite the looks of distaste from his surrounding classmates. The group cheers for each other, and when Jae gets up on stage, he hears the screams of his friends - ones he never expected to have. He never thought that when he received his diploma, he'd have people other than his parents cheering for him, but he does. He has the friends he's come to love, and his boyfriend. His boyfriend that's leaving him tomorrow. 

After the ceremony, the boys meet in the lobby of the venue, their parents taking photos of the group. Jae holding the flowers Brian had gotten him, and they decide to huddle and throw their caps together. And just like that, they're high school graduates who begin university in just 2 months - Brian starting in a different country. The post graduation celebration is at Jae's house, where they order food, talk, play games, do everything they usually do because Brian doesn't want a farewell just yet, that's for tomorrow morning at the airport.

Brian sleeps over, and they're just cuddling in Jae's bed, Brian's arms wrapped around him, as if trying to pull him closer when there's no space left between them. He's buried his face in the crook of Jae's neck, breathing slowly and just trying to remember his scent,

"I love you," he mutters against Jae's skin, and he keeps on repeating it as Jae starts to tear up.

"I love you too." he suppresses the tears. Brian lifts up his face to kiss Jae - deep, slow and loving. Their kisses become desperate, Jae feels Brian smirk against his lips when he lets out a sound. 

"Boys!" accompanied by a rapid knock on the door, and they break apart, lips glossy.

"Yeah?" Jae replies

"Your dad and I will be back, church committee needs to meet up," 

"Okay, how long?" Jae asks and Brian smiles and resumes kissing Jae's neck,

"Not that long, maybe an hour or 2?" 

"So 2 or 3 rounds," Brian whispers in Jae's ear, and laughs when he gets a smack in the chest, 

"Okay! Drive safe," Jae says, 

"You guys be safe too," his mom says with her knowing tone and Jae groans,

"Oh my God."

"Love you, be back soon!" and hear her go down the stairs, the front door open and close.

"You should sleep, you have to go back home early tomorrow morning,"

"I am gonna sleep... with you." and Jae rolls his eyes with a smile and just pulls Brian down by his collar to kiss him as Brian begins moving. 

Jae wears Brian's sweater the next morning despite the heat, his hickeys hidden by the fabric that smells like Brian. Brian, too, has to hide a few markings, and he reasons that the plane will probably be cold anyway.

The group of boys are all at the airport, waiting for Brian's departure. His parents are close by, talking to Jae's parents who've also come to say goodbye. As the time for their flight approaches, they begin hugging and saying their see-you-soon's. He hugs Junhyeok who's already crying and Dowoon comforts him with a laugh before hugging Brian too. He gives Wonpil a tight squeeze, and does his handshake with Sungjin before pulling him into a long hug.

"Stay healthy, and we'll see you soon, okay, Kang Bri?" and Brian nods and Sungjin looks away when the pull apart,

"Oh! Is Sungjin crying?!" he asks, and Sungjin laughs,

"You're tearing up too!" and Brian wears a sad smile,

"Well yeah. I won't have you guys by my side for the first time." 

"We're only a text or phonecall away," Wonpil says, crying and Sungjin has to hold him,

"We're so lame, why're we crying," Dowoon comments and they laugh.

Then Brian turns to Jae whose breaths are shallow to avoid crying, but the tears are there. Brian reaches into his carry-on and pulls out a box, hands it to Jae.

"How come Jae gets a leaving present?" Sungjin jokes,

"You should've dated me then," 

"You had a strict no dating policy for this exact reason!" and the group laughs,

"It's not too late," Brian plays along and Sungjin turns to Wonpil,

"Okay, Wonpil, I hate to say it-" and he gets cut off with a smack.

A voice rings through the airport, announcing that their plane will be boarding soon. Jae doesn't care about what model it is. The boys give the couple their space,

"I love you," Brian says, with a bright smile despite the tears,

"I love you too." 

"We can make this work," 

"We can. We'll try, and we will." 

"Don't fall for anyone while I'm gone! No sidekicks that turn into lovers," he warns and Jae smiles,

"Don't be too charming over there, no being a sidekick for anyone regardless of who they like."

"Don't go plane watching without me." and Jae lets the tears fall, Brian starts to cry too as Jae slowly replies,

"Of course... I can't watch them without my favourite pillows, blankets, truck..." Brian smiles,

"And person."

"Brian," his parents urge, and he gives a nod. 

"I'll message you as soon as I arrive. Thank you for putting yourself through this. I love you, a lot." and he kisses Jae, one more time. Slow, desperate and a silent "I'll miss you." 

"See you soon," Jae says,

"See you. I'll miss you!" 

Brian says one last round of goodbyes to the group, and is about to go to his gate. They're watching him walk when he stops and ruffles in his bag,

"Jae!" 

It's a simple way of folding one, and its flight isn't that graceful, but it still gets to him.

"Read it later," he says and Jae holds the paper airplane close, nods with a smile as he tears up again. 

Brian's seated in the plane, looks at his phone lockscreen of a cute, lazy photo of him and Jae, watching planes. 

When Jae gets home, his parents leave him alone for a bit. He opens the gift, and he smiles. It's a calendar for the next year - but it's for plane lovers, because each day has a paper airplane model to build. He realizes it's been opened already, and decides to read the letter, unfolding it.

Hi JJ!

If you opened the gift before this letter, yes I opened it because this plane was part of the kit. Not gonna lie, the instructions weren't that clear so ignore the wrinkles please I struggled for like 10 minutes.

Jae snorts, visualizing Brian's determined and focused expression while trying to fold a simple plane.

364 planes until I see you again. Let's think of it this way, shall we? :) 

Jae, I love you a lot. This isn't a goodbye letter, because we'll see each other soon, but I figured I a see-you-soon letter was in order. 

You know, when I met you and you liked Sungjin, I was okay with that. When I started to like you and you still liked Sungjin, I was okay with that. Because I thought I couldn't have you. But you told me, showed me and taught me differently. I'm really thankful you're the person I fell in love with. That you're willing to take a chance on this distance, on me...

But hey, I know we're still really young. I know it won't be easy. And there might be misunderstandings and fights, and our time differences are wild but, I think we can do it. I wanna do it.

Sorry your boyfriend is selfish and is going to uni across the world, but I'll make it up to you every minute I'm back home. I'll text you, call you, video chat you. Everything! 

Jae smiles sadly, 

I'm sorry I couldn't even stay the summer, but next year I'll stay for 2 months. My parents can't stop that hehehe

Until then, I'll miss you! Your cute little face. So adorable, it angers me. I'll miss hugging you, holding your hand and kissing you. Can't wait to do that all when I'm back there. I won't get too sappy with this letter, because like we said, it's not goodbye. 

Send me pictures of the planes ( I wanna see how they look like when they're done properly because this one's all creased and ugly so sorry) and once I get 364 photos, I'll be on a plane back to you! 

I love you a lot, Park. I know you get weak when I call you by your last name hehe 

I'll see you soon, talk to you even sooner. Love you Jae. Love you, love you, love you! ♡♡

- Bri Bri ♡♡♡

Jae doesn't cry hard, just 2 tears slip down, but he's okay. He sets up the calendar on the side of his desk, and takes a photo of the one Brian gave him

364 more to go. He thinks, and then goes downstairs to tell his parents about the gift.

When Brian lands, he calls Jae and is going on about how it's funny how he left Korea in the morning and arrived in Canada in the morning. And thus begins the year without Brian.

University is good, Jae has acquaintances in his lectures, but mainly makes time for the boys. They hang out like usual, and at first it's hard. Brian and Jae call daily, usually one of them is sleeping due to their time differences, but it's nice to just see each other's faces. Brian talks about these 2 friends he made, Terry and Don, and Jae keeps him updated on the boys. But soon enough, their courses start to pile up and they don't mind the day or 2 between calls. When exam season hits, they don't talk often, but they send each other Christmas gifts and it's cute. Jae included a polaroid of him and the plane for the 25th of December, and Brian hangs it in his room. Soon, the once assumed unbearable days become casual weeks, then speeding months.

One day, when all of Jae's exams are done and he's officially completed his first year in university, he's on call with Brian.

"One more week!"

"Yes sir!" Brian says with a happy smile,

"Why are Toronto exams later than ours?"

"I don't know, but I'm on the earliest flight there after these exams."

"Did you even study?"

"No, I was too busy packing and booking my flight," he jokes. 

"Is that the plane from today?" 

"Mhm," Jae says, holding it up to the camera,

"Only 7 more to go!" he exclaims, a bright smile on his face and Brian smiles,

"7 more planes."

 

The next day, the group meets up to start their summer. Junhyeok is picking all of them up before they go out to eat and maybe paintballing or laser tag after. Jae's finished getting ready, so he sits at his desk.

"Mom!" he yells, and hears,

"Yes?" 

"Mom, have you seen the plane for today?" and she goes into the room,

"The what?"

"Today's plane, I had it ready on my desk,"

"Oh, shoot! I threw it out, sorry," 

"Wha- Mom! Why would you-" his phone goes off, 

"Hello?"

"Jae, we're outside!" Sungjin informs, and Jae looks out his window to see Junhyeok's car.

"Mom, please find it so I can fold it when I get back, okay?" 

"Yes, for sure. I'm sorry, sweetie,"

"It's okay," he assures with a smile and hugs his mom,

"I'll be back later tonight!" 

"Okay, be safe! Have fun," 

"Yup," he says before going down the stairs and saying a quick bye to his dad who was in the living room.

Jae enters the car and is greeted with familiar faces he's seen throughout the year. They say their hey's and how've you been's. 

"You excited for Bri to come home next week?" Wonpil asks,

"Hell yeah," he replies,

"So is this one," Wonpil replies, looking to Sungjin,

"I admit that proudly." he says, shamelessly and the group laughs.

They go out to eat somewhere Jae's never been before, and over their food, they catch up in depth, talking about their majors, people they've met in lectures, other trivial or big updates. After the restaurant, they begin walking as the weather allows it, and debate over the next activity. Jae's talking to Wonpil about music he's been listening to recently when something catches his eye.

Oh, no way. he thinks as his eyes follow the paper plane that he recognizes as the one for today. He desperately looks in the direction it flew in from, oblivious to the knowing smiles the rest of the boys are wearing. 

He looks a bit tired, understandable since it is a long haul flight. But his smile is as radiant as ever,

"Looks like I'm 6 planes early, huh?" and Jae doesn't respond, just runs to Brian and hugs him. 

He smells like the way the sweaters he left behind used to, and Jae loves it, loves him.

"I missed you," Jae says, smiling as Brian's grip gets tighter.

"I missed you too."

"My mom didn't throw it out, did she?"

"Nope. C'mon, you should know by now your mom is our biggest supporter," Brian says, happily.

"You know what, I don't get how you managed to miss Sungjin's desk. I've thrown you 2 planes now, and I haven't missed you."

"I told you the window was open,"

"We're in open space right now! Susceptible to all outdoor influences!" and Jae laughs.

"Guess our planes just land where they're meant to then." and Brian smiles.

Jae leans back to admire Brian's face, but Brian grabs his chin and kisses him, and God have they missed this. 

"We did it," Brian says,

"Thank you. Can't believe I survived a year without you," he continues and Jae smiles,

"That's my line. Do you know how lonely it was?"

"You had the guys!"

"And you had Terry and Don!"

"Terry and Don don't fulfill certain needs," Brian teases, eyes on Jae's lips and Jae says,

"Neither do the guys..." 

"Well, we'll have to do something about that now that I'm back home, won't we?" and Jae nods before smiling and kissing Brian again.

Sungjin audibly clears his throat,

"I was gone a year, give us a break!" Brian yells back,

"I know, but say hi to us too!" and Brian laughs before jogging to his best friend, doing their handshake,

"You act like you didn't know I was coming home today. You helped me plan this!"

"Helping you plan and seeing you in person are different things, Kang Bri," he points out and Brian admits he's missed that nickname. 

"So, are we going to chill or do you two wanna go a hotel?" Dowoon teases, and Brian walks in between Wonpil and Dowoon, swinging an arm around both of their necks,

"Let's hang. I miss you guys too... Plus I have Jae for the night,"

"Oh, gross," Sungjin says, his face jokingly yet clearly disgusted. 

They catch up with Brian before deciding to go to an arcade and karaoke. It's fun, being all together again, and Jae figures maybe it won't be too hard to endure the wait 3 more times, but who knows what the future holds. Brian drives him and Jae back home, just to pick up a few things at Jae house before getting back in the truck.

"You still have this?" Jae says when they get in the truck,

"We left it with my mom's family. It wouldn't be the same without it, no?" Brian says, and Jae nods before taking Brian's hand in his. They jam to the radio with the windows rolled down, and Jae doesn't let go of Brian's hand as he drives. He'll make the most of these 2 months, he swears.

They get to the airport and get in the comfortable spots, Jae snuggling up to Brian who wraps an arm around him. Their fingers are intertwined as Brian places soft kisses on top of Jae's head which is leaning on his chest.

"You're really here." he says, and smiles at the low vibrations of Brian's laugh,

"I am." he confirms,

"With you, thankfully... Sorry for making you wait,"

Jae shakes his head, barely,

"It was hard on you too..." he comforts,

"I love you, Brian." he says and Brian smiles,

"Love you too, Jae."

"Thank you,"

"Stop thanking me and just kiss me," he says, and Brian follows the order. 

Definitely not the easiest thing to do, but they got through a year. They watch the planes as they talk, Jae missing the low voice Brian told stories with, and Brian missing the way Jae animatedly recalled experiences. This is the start of their summer. 

"I love you," Brian repeats, just in case Jae didn't hear the first few times, in case he didn't know. He leans in and they kiss, slow, surprisingly not in a huge rush to make up for the months apart.

"Welcome home." Jae says when they pull away just as a plane lands safely on the runway.

THE END.