Booked

Paper Airplane

Boeing 747

Cessna 172

Cirrus SR22

Airbus A380...

Jaehyung recited several models of airplanes in his mind as his slender, and slightly trembling fingers creased the white paper that was tattooed with the words of his confession. He folded the piece of paper into a simple airplane, something that he loved. Jae turned the plane around in his hands, making sure there were no unwanted creases, folds or smudges in his writing. The other students around him were currently talking to each other, enjoying their lunch break, while he was currently stressing about a confession that was about to take place.

Jae was looking at the clock, counting down the seconds he had to throw the plane in order for it to land on his desk just when he walked in, without it being completely obvious that Jae threw it.

Okay, just a few more seconds...

He thought as he prepared himself to throw the plane.

He knew exactly when to threw it, because the person he was confessing to came back to the classroom from lunch at the exact same time everyday.

With 6 seconds to the bell, Jae threw it, and soon as he released the plane from his fingertips, he immediately turned to face the front of the class just as a group of boys entered the class, their teacher trailing behind them.

"Okay, class!" the teacher's voice took over after the bell rang, but then trailed off as Jae drowned in the worries of confessing after school.

 

Jae was fiddling with his thumbs as he paced back and forth, waiting behind the doors of the school's gym. He was just hoping that the plane letter had worked, and that the boy knew where he wished to meet. Jae was mumbling to himself, when he heard the crunches of leaves, and footsteps that were drawing closer. His gaze was fixated on the grass below, and as soon as black and white classic Converse came into view, the words wouldn't stop.

"Uh, S-Sungjin, hi, my name is Jae- actually, my full name is Jaehyung. Um, I just wanted to tell you that I really like you, and I've liked you for a while, but I know we're not really friends, so I didn't exactly know how to tell you this, but I just wanted to tell you to get it off my chest, and maybe, hopefully, hear a response but it's okay if you don't want to reply, I totally get it because it's probably really awkward, and you probably get confessions all the time, but uh, yeah, I like you."

Jae rambled, rarely taking any breaths or pauses between all the words that just spewed out of his mouth. His gaze stayed at the Converse, refusing to look up but after a few seconds that felt like hours had passed, he decided to slowly look up.

Jae wanted to punch himself in the face when he finally looked up, and was greeted with a familiar face, but it wasn't Sungjin's.

Instead, before the tall senior, stood another student in his grade, slightly shorter but relatively tall himself. He was displaying a slightly awkward and uncomfortable smile, while he scratched the back of his neck.

Jae recognized him, though.

The boy currently in front of him, wasn't his unrequited crush of about 1 year, Park Sungjin, but instead was a boy named Kang Younghyun who, coincidentally, was Sungjin's best friend. Most people in their school knew him as Brian, for God knows why. But, the reason he was so well known was because out of the 3 years he has attended high-school, he has never once accepted a confession from anyone.

People didn't see him as a bad guy or anything, considering he always rejected them nicely and apologetically, but not once has he ever dated or accepted a confession. No matter how pretty or dashing the person was, or no matter how many people thought they made a good couple, Brian politely declined every single confession. No one knew the reason why, considering he was extremely friendly and social, but that's just how things were.

"Uh," Brian started,

"I'm guessing this landed on the wrong desk?" he asked as he held out an unfolded airplane, Jae's neat writing of a confession exposed.

Jae, at a loss for words, simply stared at the extended hand.

Brian awkwardly cleared his throat, as Jae took that as a signal to grab the plane.

"Y-Yeah, sorry about that..."

Awkward silence took over,

"Well.." Brian broke it,

"This is slightly awkward." he said with a laugh.

Jae sat down on the grass as he ruffled his hair in frustration,

"God, this is embarrassing~" he whined, causing Brian to laugh even more.

"I mean, your aim was pretty close, just 1 desk off." Brian comforted as he sat down beside Jae,

"Haha, thanks." Jae said sarcastically,

"If it makes you feel any better, I'm extremely happy that your confession wasn't for me." Jae looked at him, slightly surprised to which Brian replied with a relieved smile and,

"Atleast I didn't have to turn down another confession."

"Oh, aren't things going amazingly for you?" Jae replied, laughing mainly at himself for this completely failed plan.

Silence took over again, but this time it was comfortable.

"So, my best friend, huh?" Brian asked, and Jae just nodded.

"Yes, your best friend that sits beside you, at the desk where this" Jae held out the plane in Brian's face,

"stupid thing was supposed to land." he finished.

Brian opened his mouth to speak,

"And before you start bashing my aim, I will just say for the record that the window was open."

Brian held up his hands in surrender as an amused smile made its way to his face.

Jaehyung sighed and groaned,

"I can't believe this happened~"

"Maybe it was fate." Brian said,

"Oh, me confessing to you? Yeah, totally fate." Jae replied and Brian laughed lightly before explaining,

"No, I mean maybe life is giving you a second chance to confess to Sungjin. I mean, you said it yourself, you're not really close, so I honestly don't know how you would go from being almost strangers to being in a relationship." Brian nodded at his own advice before making eye contact with Jae,

"Use this chance to maybe get close to him first."

Jae thought for a while before concluding that Brian was right, and it would probably be easier to confess after he and Sungjin had developed a friendship of some sort.

"Then," Jae said with a sly smile to which Brian gave a slightly concerned yet curious face,

"Help me!"

Brian almost scoffed before saying,

"Excuse me, help you?"

"C'mon, you're his best friend! You're the one who suggested I get closer to him, so you should help me" Jae said

"What, no! Get close to him yourself-"

"Don't you feel bad for me?! I, a brave senior, just confessed all my feelings in a jumble of words only to look up and see someone that's not even my crush!"

"How is it my fault you have bad aim?!" Brian argued,

"I told you, the freakin' window was open!" Jae yelled back and hit Brian in the arm, as Brian just smiled at the whole situation.

"So, c'mon, dude just help me." the blonde asked sincerely this time, to which Brian caved in.

"Okay, fine."

Jae flashed Brian a bright, triumphant smile and threw his fist in the air in cheer.

The 2 settled back into comfortable silence, leaning on the school wall, looking up at the sky. It was a nice day, only within the first week of their senior year. The silence was cut off when Brian suddenly started laughing to himself,

"What, what's so funny?"

"I'm thinking about how Sungjin would've reacted to all of this." Brian said as his laughter increased,

"Hi, I was hoping that you could meet me after school, behind the gym. I have something I need to tell you-" Brian quoted Jae's words on the plane,

"Dude!" Jae yelled, and swung his arm to hit Brian in the arm, which Brian dodged and quickly got up.

"I was hoping the plane would find it's way to your heart~" Brian teased between his laughter, and began running once Jae had gotten up too.

"Shut up! No one else was supposed to read it!"

"I don't understand why you didn't put his name on it!"

Jae stopped running, and had a moment of realization.

"Oh my God, you're a genius."

Brian, who was now standing infront of the latter began laughing again.

"You laugh and smile a lot." Jae commented,

"Yeah, might as well enjoy the present. I don't like getting caught up in the trivial things, so I come off as carefree, which I honestly don't mind." Brian replied, once again with a smile.

It turns out to be contagious because Jae feels the corner of his lips tugging until a smile is on his own face.

"Okay, so Brian, can I assume you're helping me with Sungjin?" Jae asked as he extended his hand.

Brian looked at it for a while, before shaking it,

"Fine. But don't blame me if you get rejected." Brian joked.

And with a handshake, the two had suddenly become a duo whose mission was to set Jae up with Park Sungjin.

 

The next day at school, Jae was getting ready to eat lunch, when he heard someone call his name,

"Jae!"

He looked up from his homemade lunch to see Brian with a huge smile on his face, his arm extended and his hand waving,

"Come here!"

Jae's eyes widened when they strayed from Brian only to land on Sungjin, who was sitting beside Brian, a friendly smile on his face.

"U-Uh, it's okay, I'll just eat-"

"C'mon, don't be like that, come here!" Brian cut Jae off as he walked over, and took Jae by his arm and dragged him to the group.

"Dude, what the Hell, are we seriously starting this?" Jae whispered,

"The sooner we start, the better. Don't be awkward, and try not to stutter around him, just be cool. We haven't eaten lunch in here in a while, so you're welcome for coming up with a weird excuse." Brian replied just in time as they got to the group of boys who were getting ready to enjoy their lunch.

"Guys, this is my friend Jae. You guys wouldn't mind him joining us, right?"

Jae displayed a slightly awkward smile, which soon became natural as the boys nodded and welcomed him.

There was a seat between Brian and some other boy, which Jae was going to take, until Brian noticed, and then suddenly shifted over saying,

"Dowoon-ah, give me some of your cookies,"

which resulted in the only available seat being between Brian, and Sungjin.

Jae hesitantly took it, smiling awkwardly at Sungjin as Brian took a bite of a cookie, and smiled triumphantly at the situation beside him.

"So, Jae, these are the boys, Sungjin, Dowoon, Wonpil and Junhyeok." Brian introduced, pointing to each of them individually.

"Hi, I'm Jae," he said with a smile,

"How long have you known Brian?" Junhyeok asked, "Just a little bit curious, because I find it hard to believe he has any other friends than us," he concluded.

Brian threw a piece of food at Junhyeok, which he caught in his mouth

"I have other friends!" he said defensively, making the group laugh.

"We met this week, and we just clicked." Brian explained, and Jae was sincerely thankful that he was doing all of the talking.

"So, Jae, what do you like?" Jae stiffened at the familiar husky voice coming from his right. He quickly turned to face Sungjin, and Brian had to stiffle his laughter,

"U-Uh, I like planes." he replied,

"Planes?" Wonpil repeated,

"Yeah, just planes. I don't want to be a pilot or anything, but I'm just fascinated with them." Jae explained,

"Yeah, considering the flight of your paper airplane, I don't think you should be a pilot-" Brian commented, receiving a playful slap in the arm.

"Oh, that's really cool." Sungjin commented, and Jae couldn't help the size of his smile,

"How about you, Sungjin? What do you like?" Jae found himself asking, and Brian turned his attention to the conversation going on between Dowoon, Junhyeok and Wonpil.

"I like music a lot." he replied with a smile,

"Oh, do you sing?"

"Yeah, a bit. I play the guitar too,"

"You should sing for me some time!" Jae said before thinking, and he just awkwardly gaped at Sungjin.

They shared a few moments of eye contact, before Sungjin's eyes turned into happy crescents,

"Yeah sure, I wouldn't mind that."

Overhearing their conversation, Brian smiled and mentally gave himself a pat on the back for doing his job right.

The lunch proceeded to actually be quite comfortable, much to Jae's surprise. He ended up talking to everyone, even Dowoon who seemed really quiet and reserved, so Jae was proud of that.

"Jae!" Brian called out at the end of the day as they were exiting the school,

"Nice convo you had with Sungjin during lunch," he teased while he stuck out his tongue,

"Dude, why did you move? You literally made me sit right beside him, like couldn't you have been a little more subtle?" Jae argued, and Brian rolled his eyes,

"Oh, c'mon, shut up. You talked with him so naturally beside him, it would've been insanely awkward if you tried having a conversation with me in the middle," Brian said and Jae could feel himself blush,

"Well, I mean except for that stutter before you said planes."

"I hate you." Jae said,

"Okay, have fun trying to get Sungjin on your own," Brian said before walking away, only to be stopped by Jae's hand grabbing his wrist,

"No, I'm just kidding, you're my saviour." the latter said quickly, before laughing with Brian.

"Oh! Right, the reason I stopped you," Brian said before reaching into his pocket, pulling out his phone, and handing it to Jae

"Put your number in it, it'll be easier to plan things with you like this."

"Is the infamous rejector Brian Kang asking for my number?" Jae teased as he reached for the phone,

"Is the irritable Jae Park asking me to spill his secret to Sungjin?" Brian replied with an amused smile and Jae just kissed his teeth as he snatched Brian's phone,

"We met yesterday, and you're already mean to me."

"We met yesterday, and you're already using me to get to my bestfriend"

"Oh, c'mon. Am I ever going to win over you?" Jae asked, defeated as he handed Brian back his phone,

"You're supposed to win over Sungjin, not me." he replied, laughing. Jae gave him an unamused face,

"If you keep being so loud about it, he's gonna find out before we're even friends!"

"Okay, okay, sorry." Brian said and was about to say something else when they both heard a,

"Brian!" from up ahead.

The two looked towards the voice, even though Jae already went stiff just from the sound, and sure enough it was Sungjin, and the other boys.

"Yeah, I'm coming!" Brian yelled back before patting Jae on the arm,

"I'll text you later, and we'll plan something... Also, stop being so stiff around him" Brian said and Jae was going to reply but then suddenly crumbled when he saw Sungjin waving,

"Brian, you're so slow, hurry up. Bye Jae!" Sungjin said and Jae could only mutter what somewhat sounded like a "bye" to which Brian burst out laughing in reply.

"I'm coming!" Brian said through his laughter and he jogged to catch up to the boys.

Jae could only awkwardly wave and basically gape at Sungjin's radiant smile, and watch as Brian caught up, swinging his arm around the boy who Jae remembers as Junhyeok.

 


 

Jaehyung was sitting at his desk, doing some homework while listening to music. His music suddenly stopped, and he checked his phone to see a text message from an unknown number,

(647)-***-****: yo, boy who's in love with my best friend!

and Jae doesn't need to think twice before concluding it's Brian, and saves his number accordingly,

Jae: you're so annoying, i should've asked wonpil or dowoon.

Brian gets Jae's text and laughs as he types up a reply,

burger kang: as if you had the guts to talk to either of those guys... plus they'd probably reject you.

jaepark: no they wouldn't they're nice

burger kang: because i introduced you to them.

jaepark: you have nothing to do with them being nice, if anything you'd make them mean, like you

burger kang: let's see if they're as nice to you as i am when they find out you're only friends with us cause of sungjinnnn

Brian teases and Jae wants to punch him in the face, but knows he can't do that from a 5.5inch screen.

jaepark: you know, i can get you suspended for all this blackmail.

burger kang: LOL ok ok. i'll stop

Jae goes to type a, "thank you" but then another text rings in,

burger kang: for now.

jaepark: i will block your number, brian.

Brian doesn't text him back, but instead Jae's screen is occupied by the notification of an incoming call from 'burger king'. Jae answers and Brian starts talking first,

"I got tired of typing and I refuse to tire out my thumbs for you."

"You sound gross over the phone," Jae says and he hears Brian's laugh on the other line.

It's carefree, and relaxed, and Jae wonders if Brian has no worries in his life.

"Anyway~" Brian basically sings,

"So how was your talk with Sungjin?"

"You heard all of it!" Jae yells, and Brian laughs again,

"Yeah, I know. But I meant like, how do you feel about it? About him?"

"His voice sounds a lot more attractive up close" Jae says immediately and Brian lets out an

"Ooo~" before laughing along with Jae.

"Man, he's so cute- did you see his smile?!" Jae starts fangirling

"Yeah, his smile is nice but his laugh is so ugly, it's hilarious."

"Nothing about him is ugly" Jae retaliates and Brian says,

"Wait until you make him laugh. Okay, so what else?"

"He told me he loves music,"

"Oh, yeah he definitely does. He's an amazing singer and guitarist," Brian informs and Jae only gets more excited and somewhat brag,

"He said he wouldn't mind singing for me one day"

"Oh, I'm so jealous~ Jae gets a personal serenade~" Brian teases and Jae just kisses his teeth in annoyance

"Okay, so we should make a game plan." Brian says and Jae suddenly becomes scared

"Hold up," Jae interrupts.

"We gotta lay down some rules first"

"Rules?" Brian says through his laughter

"Yes, definitely. Especially since you're my partner in crime."

Jae has known Brian for maybe a good 72 hours. And that's maybe.

But they're already talking to comfortably that Jae sometimes feels like they've been friends for years. It's a nice, comforting feeling. But because they're so comfortable with each other, and Jae has already experiences much of Brian's teasing, he concludes that he needs to be careful that Brian doesn't make him do anything embarrassing.

"Number one," Jae starts and Brian cuts him off

"Hold on, why do you get to make the rules?"

"Because I'm the loser who might end up heartbroken by the end of this" Jae reasons

"At least you've accepted it" Brian says.

"Of course I've accepted it" Jae replies and continues on,

"I'm pretty realistic, and rational. I know there's a chance I won't get him, so I'm trying not to get my hopes up. Then again, I'm also a hormone driven teenage boy who's asking you to get me with your bestfriend"

Brian's quiet for a while and Jae concludes it's because his previous words were probably the most serious words they've shared.

"So, what's rule number one?" Brian changes the subject and Jae just goes along with it.

"Number one, no making me do things that aren't necessary" he states

"Elaborate"

"Basically, no making me look stupid in front of him, by telling me it'll help my cause just for your own benefit"

"Aw c'mon, you're taking the fun away from my part" Brian says,

"I mean, if you think about it, I don't get any benefits from helping you." he makes a point and Jae decides to say,

"You get to be my friend" and Brian just laughs,

"Geez, how beneficial."

"You're welcome in advance" Jae jokes around,

"Okay, so then number two is?"

"What I wanna do when I see your face" Jae says and hears Brian laugh himself before threatening,

"I will call Sungjin right now, and tell him everything." and Jae laughs too, because for some reason he's unaware of, he trusts Brian to not do it.

"Okay, so number two is-"

"What you look like" Brian cuts him off and Jae says,

"Can you just let me continue?"

"You're the one who insulted me first, it was simply revenge." Brian explains and Jae simply scoffs with a smile before continuing on,

"Rule number two should be pretty obvious; no exposing me. Even if I piss you off or something, I trust you enough to not expose me"

"You trust me?" Brian asks, surprise evident in his voice,

"Well yeah, kind of too late to not trust you." Jae says, laughing.

"All right, then I guess your secret's safe with me. Fair warning though, I'll probably tease you about it."

"Oh really? Never would have guessed!" Jae replies, his sarcasm making Brian laugh.

"Okay, hurry up with the rules so we can devise a plan"

"Third and final one, for now, is whatever happens don't tell him you were helping me."

"That's a weird rule,"

"I don't want our scheming to ruin your friendship, so if I get exposed then just pretend like you had nothing to do with it."

"Rather noble of you," Brian continues,

"But I don't think you'll be exposed unless you have other friends you're telling about this,"

"Friends? What are those?" and Brian snorts

"Fine, I agree to these 3 rules, can we get to actual scheming now?"

"You sound rather excited,"

"I like mischief," and his words are supported by an evil chuckle

"Gross,"

"Gross" Brian mocks and they both laugh.

They talk for almost 3 hours, not that the plan took that long but different topics of conversation kept coming up and neither of them offered to hang up. The call only ends because Brian forgot to eat dinner and Jae could hear his mom calling for him in the background.

Jae continues his homework, and is excited for the next day of school.

 

 

 

 

 

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

Hi MyDays, it's Zen! Hopefully this first chapter wasn't too disappointing. Honestly, I find the first chapter the hardest to write because I don't know where to end it to make you guys want to continue reading LOL

Anyway, please please comment anything! If you guys know me, you'd know that I love comments and interacting with readers. I obviously appreciate upvotes and subscribers but comments are my favourite because I can get feedback as well as encouragement!

I'm in a writing mood, so I'll probably update soon, subscribe to be notified when! Until then, peace! <3