Stable

Paper Airplane

The table settles down at Sungjin's voice and Brian's eyes focus on his chopsticks, refusing to look up at his best friend or Jae. Jae shoves one more spoonful of rice and pork belly into his mouth before setting his spoon down to listen to Sungjin.

The boy exhales and reaches under the table before revealing his fingers that are intertwined with Wonpil's.

"We're dating," he says with a nervous smile and Wonpil's blushing like crazy. 

Jae stops chewing for a moment and Brian can see that halt of movement in the corner of his eyes and he almost winces when he looks to his side to see Jae's surprised expression. 

It's quiet and Sungjin looks at Brian, as if prompting the appropriate response from his best friend and Brian can't back away from that role now, so he can't look at Jae when he says,

"Congratulations, guys!" with a huge smile.

Dowoon and Junhyeok congratulate the couple right after and Jae does too, glad his mouth is full so that he has an excuse for the mumble. Jae gives a small smile and just listens as he continues to eat while the group asks about how Sungjin and Wonpil got together.

"I think I started liking him first," Wonpil admits with a bashful smile, and Junhyeok laughs, looks at Dowoon and replies,

"I relate." 

"How would you know that, I'm the one who technically made the first move," Sungjin comments and Dowoon stares at Junhyeok,

"I relate." he echoes, and they go back and forth, talking about how they knew they liked each other, since when, and Jae just listens to the answers, laughing and smiling sometimes just out of courtesy. Brian, too, laughs and smiles at the conversation but he's more worried about the boy beside him who's been picking at the same piece of tofu for a couple of minutes. 

Their after school meal ends with some teasing over the new couple within their friend group, Dowoon and Junhyeok commenting that they're glad the attention is off them now. Jae parts first, saying goodbye with a smile and Brian watches him walk away and Sungjin notices. 

Brian ends up walking home with Sungjin and Wonpil, the two holding hands freely with excited smiles and Brian smiles because his best friend looks sincerely happy. 

"Bri, you okay?"

"Yeah, why?" 

"You look spaced out," 

"Oh sorry, just thinking about something," Brian replies,

"Thinking about how you should date someone?" Wonpil teases and Brian shakes his head,

"You two are ridiculous, I can't blieve I agreed to third wheel this whole walk home," Brian replies with a laugh,

"Don't feel left out, Bri," Sungjin comforts,

"If you want, we can all hold hands," he jokes, extending a hand to Brian and earns a laugh from both of them.

Brian says bye to them and has a sad smile as he watches them enter Sungjin's house before he goes inside his own.

 

Jae's laying on his bed, just staring at the ceiling. When Sungjin announced him and Wonpil were dating, Jae expected something more from himself. Expected a definitive sadness, an explicit unhappiness, something more concrete and coherent than this confusion he was experiencing.

The reality of the situation is, Jae isn't that sad. 

When he saw Sungjin and Wonpil holding hands, he went quiet because he didn't know why he didn't feel so much. When they were talking about how they liked each other since before Halloween, where Jae felt so happy when Sungjin held his hand, even before the day Jae went over to Sungjin's house and Jae thought maybe they had a moment, Jae only smiled because he was rather okay with it. Jae left the group first because he needed to figure out what was going on within himself, not necessarily because he didn't want to see Sungjin and Wonpil hold hands anymore.

burger kang: Jae

burger kang: are you okay??

Jae looks at his phone and wants to reply "yes. and idk why" but he decides he'd rather not talk to Brian at the moment. 

Even Brian is a huge question mark to him right now. Jae thinks he'd feel more upset, especially because at the beginning of the school year, Jae liked Sungjin so much that he befriended Brian to get close to Sungjin. And he succeeded, he got close to Sungjin, even closer to Brian.

Jae's sad, because he truly did like Sungjin - he catches himself thinking in past tense and wonders when exactly did he stop? When the end began is something Jae can't decipher but he shakes his head when he recalls the amount of times Brian's made his heart swell. 

He decides to do some reading, indulge in a fiction because his reality is too confusing right now. But in between the lines of the novel, Jae wonders if he was irrational to get excited when Sungjin held his hand and guided him in the Haunted House. Was he stupid for buying him a separate gift? Was he delusional for thinking maybe Sungjin was interested in him too? If Sungjin liked Wonpil this whole time, what did he see Jae as? All these questions just adding to the confusion and frustration.

Meanwhile, Brian shakes his leg as he thinks about what he should do. He concludes that Jae is probably so upset right now, so sad that he stopped talking at the restaurant and left as soon as they said goodbye. 

Regardless of Brian's feelings for Jae, and Jae's own for Sungjin, Brian concludes he's his best friend and with that thought, he grabs the truck keys, a couple of things and is off.

 

"Oh, hello Brian!" Jae's mom answers the door, surprise soon turning into a welcoming smile,

"Hi Mrs. Park," he says with a polite smile and bow,

"Is Jae home?"

"If he's not out with you guys, he is always home," she says, laughing,

"Do you want me to get him for you while you wait inside?" 

"Oh, it's okay, I can wait out here," he says and she asks him if he's sure before calling Jae from the bottom of the stairs. 

"Jaehyung-ah!" 

"What?" Brian hears the muffled reply and smiles, 

"Come down here!" she says, and they hear a door open and footsteps going down the stairs before slowing to a stop. 

They meet each other's eyes and Brian shows him a warm smile,

"Bri?" 

"Hey," he says, awkwardly scratching his nape,

"You weren't answering my texts," and with that Jae's mom looks at Jae with a knowing smile before walking away and Jae rolls his eyes, meeting Brian at the door,

"Yeah, sorry... I just didn't really wanna talk to anyone." he admits with a sorry smile,

"Understandable,"

The silence is tense,

"So, what are you doing here?" Jae asks with an amused chuckle,

"Could I borrow you for an hour or two?"

"Borrow me?"

"Yeah yeah, don't worry I'll return the goods undamaged and with a receipt for proof of transaction if that comforts you," Brian jokes and Jae laughs sincerely.

He missed joking like this with him.

Brian looks up at him with an expectant smile before Jae yells,

"Mom, Dad! I'll be back, just gonna hang out with Brian!" and upon hearing a unison,

"Okay, have fun, be safe!" they're out the door. 

Jae doesn't know where he expected to go with Brian, but it wasn't the airport.

"What're we doing here?" Jae says, getting out of the truck with Brian and Brian smiles at him before reaching in the back seat, grabbing some blankets and pillows and tossing them in the back.

"We're gonna watch airplanes land and take off," he replies, climbing into the back and offering Jae a helping hand up, 

"And we're gonna watch them until the sun sets and you can see the stars so that you don't think about anything but the thing you love," Brian says, settling into a position he deems comfortable.

Jae stares at him in awe, Brian focused on adjusting a pillow so that his head is propped up to watch the planes. When he catches Jae staring, he's surprised the latter doesn't look away because ever since New Years it's just been stolen glances and wary eye contact.

"Do you not want to?" Brian asks, and Jae admires his face for a bit longer before showing Brian a smile so wide and pure Brian blushes,

"I'd love to." he answers and lays down next to Brian. 

The sky is a burnt orange but it's clear as Jae names the models that come to a smooth landing, talking to Brian about the advantages, special features and setbacks that each model might have. Brian feels at peace with Jae talking about planes, he hasn't heard it in a while. 

Despite the warm blankets, Jae shivers and Brian thinks for a while before he slips off his hoodie,

"You can wear it," he says, handing it to Jae,

"Aren't you cold?"

"Nah, these blankets are warm enough," Brian replies but it wasn't the blankets that caused his face to heat up, it wasn't the polyester and cotton that made his cheeks red. 

When Jae puts the hoodie on, he smiles at how warm it is already from Brian's use, and the faint smell of his cologne. 

Jae wasn't that sad to begin with, but being here at the airport, watching the planes, Jae's never felt happier. 

The sun's setting when Jae's about to thank Brian but when he turns, Brian's sleeping peacefully, blanket up to his chin and his lips slightly parted to allow a soft snore. He smiles at him - not just because he looks cute and peaceful, but because Brian went out of his way to pick up Jae and take him to the airport. 

Jae's reflecting on the fact that Brian's method to cheer him up was to take him to watch what he loved most. He didn't even mention Sungjin, just swept him away to watch the sky, even brought pillows and blankets for comfort. 

Truth be told, it's rather romantic. Jae's always read about or watched movie scenes where the perfect date included watching the sun set, but it wasn't just the sun setting, Brian took him to the airport. They're not doing much, just laying beside each other and watching the sky darken as planes fly overhead, and despite the chill breeze Jae feels warm. Jae smiles before turning to face Brian as he feels his eyelids grow heavy, the sound of a plane engine soaring above them fading as he falls asleep. 

Brian wakes up to the sky already dark, the blurred blinking lights of the runway clearing as he gains awareness and sits up. Jae's still sleeping beside him and he lightly shakes him awake,

"Jae," he whispers, and Jae hums in response,

"Wake up, I gotta get you home," and Jae stretches with a yawn, eyes still not open,

"Oh, another one is landing," Brian's voice and the sound of an approaching engine is what causes Jae to sit up. 

They watch as it descends onto the runway and Brian shivers, the lack of the sun making the night colder and the blankets aren't warm enough. Jae notices and moves in closer, bringing a blanket with him, the lack of distance providing warmth.

"Can we watch a few more?" Jae asks, and Brian gives in with a smile,

"Just a few more, it's getting late," and Jae agrees.

They just watch the next few planes in comfortable silence,

"Hey Bri?" Jae breaks it,

"Hm?"

"Thank you." 

Brian smiles and nods, all the unsaid things Jae's thankful for he acknowledges with,

"Of course." 

They stay beside each other for a few more minutes before deciding to leave, both of them shivering at the cold when they leave the blankets and each other's presence. They put the blankets and pillows in the back seat and Brian begins the drive to Jae's home.

They don't get home too late, and Brian walks Jae to his doorstep despite parking in the driveway. 

"Oh right," Jae says, slipping off the hoodie and handing it back to Brian,

"Thank you for tonight, Bri. I mean it," and he's about to respond when Jae's dad sees them talking from the kitchen,

"Oh, is that Brian?" he asks,

"Yeah," Jae answers,

"Invite him in, why are you letting him stand outside!" Jae's mom joins and Jae rolls his eyes with a groan as his mom makes her way to her son's side.

"Come in, sweetie, have you two eaten yet?" 

And that's how they end up having a late dinner with Jae's parents, and it's not as awkward or tense as Brian or Jae anticipated. 

"So Brian, do you have a girlfriend?" 

"Mom," Jae's voice is stern. 

Brian chokes on his Coke, coughing before clearing his throat,

"You can't just ask that, Mom," Jae scolds, visibly upset,

"No I don't," Brian says with an awkward chuckle,

"Boyfriend?"

"Mom!" 

Brian shakes his head in response, looking at Jae with an awkward smile and nodding, as if telling him it's okay.

"Do you like-"

"Dad! Make her stop!" Jae interrupts, 

"Honey, I think that's enough," Jae's dad says, placing a hushing hand on her's.

"Sorry sorry, I'm just used to Jae being so open with me, that was rude of me," she says,

"It's fine," Brian assures with a small smile.

"So, how are the boys?" his dad switches the subject and Brian responds,

"They're good, nothing new,"

"Except Sungjin and Wonpil are dating now," Jae says, catching all of them off guard. Brian looks at him with lips slightly parted in surprise, Jae's eyes down on his plate,

"Oh," his mom says, recalling when Jae admitted he liked Sungjin.

"Oh, Dowoon and Junhyeok too," he adds, before putting a spoonful of food in his mouth and chewing.

The table is quiet and Brian doesn't know how to pick up conversation, and apparently no one does because they finish eating in silence, Brian offering to wash the dishes to which Jae's parents refuse.

"Sorry about my mom at dinner," Jae says, leaning against the doorway and Brian's outside,

"Don't worry about it," he replies with a smile.

"Jae, are you okay?" Brian asks, recalling the incident at dinner and Jae says,

"Yeah," so quickly and naturally that Brian wonders if he knows what he said.

"Okay." he decides not to push further,

"Good night, Bri, and thank you for tonight!"

Brian laughs lightly as he ruffles Jae's hair and the latter's eyes go wide,

He did it. 

"You already thanked me enough," he replies, with a sweet smile that makes Jae's heart race,

"Good night, Jae!" he adds before walking backwards to his truck, still smiling at Jae,

"Text me when you get home!" and Brian nods before turning around. 

Jae closes the door with a smile, immediately going up to his room, knowing his mom will probably come up later to talk about Sungjin, and Brian.

When Brian gets home, he returns the blankets and pillows to their original spot and heads to his room.

burger kang: I'm home

He smiles as he hits send because it's been a while since they've texted. 

jaepark: glad you got home safely!

burger kang: I'm a good driver, of course I did

jaepark: you're not the only one on the road, Bri Bri

burger kang: look at you, concerned for my safety

jaepark: meh, somewhat

burger kang: ouch. next time you can watch planes land by yourself

Jae laughs at his phone screen before sending the photo he took of Brian while he was sleeping. The picture is actually really nice, Brian looking peaceful and the setting sun allowing his skin to appear golden,

jaepark: I DID because someone fell asleep

Brian smiles at his screen, the photo Jae took of him was rather cute and had it been in other circumstances, romantic. 

burger kang: YOU FELL ASLEEP TOO

burger kang: I HAD TO WAKE YOU UP

jaepark: ok but I'm the airplane enthusiast, I'm allowed

burger kang: ???

burger kang: that's literally the reason you SHOULDN'T HAVE fallen asleep

jaepark: okay anyway! 

And they continue texting into the night, only saying good night because they have school tomorrow and then they're left alone with their thoughts.

Brian reflects on Jae looking sad at dinner when he mentioned Sungjin and sighs. When they were watching airplanes and Brian woke up before Jae, seeing the boy's peaceful face that looked just slightly troubled caused Brian to make a decision - that being, he'll back down. Brian decided that he'll stick to the role of Jae's best friend and won't push the boundaries of that. He'll try his best to see Jae like he sees Seungmin - someone precious, but nothing more than a close friend. So even when Jae moved in closer when Brian got cold, Brian didn't close the distance. When his parents invited him for dinner, he tried to think of it as nothing more than them taking care of their son's friend, sure they would've done the same for Sungjin, Wonpil, Dowoon or Junhyeok. When Jae thanked him with a radiant smile, instead of blushing, Brian did what he usually does with Seungmin and just ruffled his hair with a chuckle. He reminds himself for, what feels like, the hundredth time:

You cannot like Jae. You cannot date Jae. 

Brian resolves that he'll do what he can: be by his side as a friend. He won't make advances, and he won't think anything of Jae's actions - ruling them platonic.

Jae's still smiling even when their text conversation comes to an end and he thinks for a while. He was somewhat sad about the Sungjin and Wonpil news, but this night with Brian made him forget everything. Until his mom started being nosy, and even he doesn't know why he snapped at dinner but he did. He hates how indecisive he's being right now - how he went from being upset about Sungjin at dinner to smiling like crazy when Brian ruffled his hair for the first time. He also dislikes how he didn't admit the butterflies in his stomach, the way his heart would swell and cheeks would flush when Brian would do something. So, he finally accepts the reality that he's not all that sad about Sungjin because of Brian. Not just because he swept him away to the airport, but even before then - the little things like his smile, his singing voice, his kindness that he never takes credit for.

Jae resolves that he'll remain open to the possibility of him actually liking Brian, and to maybe try and pursue him romantically.

And like that, the two boys are seemingly set on their own resolves that couldn't be more dissonant for the harmony each of them wish to create.

 

 

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

hi hello mydays! Honestly, that cute airport scene was one of the major reasons I even wrote this story. For those that don't know how I write my stories, I essentially make it up as I go, usually having a few certain moments and the ending thought out, but everything in between just kind of happens. I have a friend who loves planes and in the spring and summer, loves to watch them at the airport and I thought that would be so cute to write out, did you guys like it? 

Just wanna promote my YT channel again because I'm doing an Every SunDay6 cover project, so please check that out! Just click the photo below, and subscribe if you want!

twitter/instagram: @zenkrcovers | kakao: zenaya

Feel free to reach out to me on either of those, I'm friendly and enjoy conversation! 

Please please please leave a comment on  your thoughts of this chapter, subscribe to keep updated and upvote if you're enjoying the story! I'll try and update soon, but until then peace! - Zen