[9]

The Last of the Real Ones

×××××

You were too good to be true; gold plated.

×××××

 

The next day, Saturday, Jennie’s in the university cafeteria eating lunch with Chaeng and Joy.

 

“Jisoo didn’t drop you off today?” Joy asked.

 

“Nope, she said she has some errands to do.”

 

“Oh, so who dropped you off this time? Was it Taehyung?” Rosie asked.

 

“No one, I went here by myself.”

 

“Jisoo unnie let you?”

 

“Uhm no, we argued for like an hour. Until she finally admitted defeat.”

 

“How? How’d you shut Jisoo up?” Joy asked.

 

“Usually, we kiss and make up, but she still got that busted lip of hers so. You know, I just did what I had to do.” She says as she winks at Joy.

 

“Uh unnie, I do not need to know that dirty way of yours.” Chae with a fake disgusted look on her face. Jennie just rolled her eyes.

 

“You’re the one with a dirty mind, I cooked her chicken, okay? Totally not what you had in mind.” Now Jennie’s the one to tease.

 

“Oh haha, so you finally drove that Maserati of yours, unnie?”

 

“Yes, after months of just being useless in the garage.” The girls just chuckled at that. It’s true. Ever since Jennie and Jisoo met each other, Jennie hasn’t driven her car on her own. It’s either because Jisoo’s always driving for her, or if Jisoo’s busy, she asks any of her not-so-busy friends to drive for Jennie.

 

“Hey.” Lisa came to join them, with Mina and Momo following behind.

 

“Is it okay if we come join you?” Mina asked them.

 

“Of course, you didn’t have to ask.”

 

“Thanks, Jen.” Mina sat beside Joy and Momo, while the couple, Lisa and Chae, are seated across them, just beside Jennie.

 

“You look so stressed?” Jennie asked her.

 

“It’s the rehearsals. My partner’s ing up every move. Ugh! Why can’t either Momo or Lalisa just be my partner.” The two other dancers just laughed at her frustration.

 

“Don’t worry, Minari. After the practice, I don’t think you still have a partner.” Momo .

 

“What do you mean?” Joy asked.

 

“She made him walk out.” Lisa explained.

 

“Wha-? In my defense, he’s been stepping off my shoes since the beginning. He .”

 

“Well, he didn’t mean to. And what? That means you could stomp yours to his toe?”

 

“Still. He , okay?” Mina rolling her eyes, making the girls snicker.

 

The six of them enjoyed talking and bonding over their lunch when someone got the attention of Momo.

 

“Oh. My. God.” She said with her eyes wide, and mouth open in amusement. Her seatmates followed where she’s looking and have made the same reaction.

 

“What in the world?!” Mina, finally making Jen, Chae, and Lisa look behind their backs.

 

Who should walk in, but a purple haired girl. A purple haired Jisoo.

 

Jennie shook her head both in disbelief and amusement. Jisoo almost had the attention of all the students in the cafeteria.

 

“You dyed your hair? You hated coloring your hair.” Mina pointed out as soon as Jisoo reached their table.

 

“Well, I’m trying to prove a point.” She says as she bent down to her girlfriend and hug her from behind.

 

“What point is that exactly, Chu?” Momo asked.

 

“That blue’s not the warmest color.” Jennie chuckled at her answer, leaving their other friends clueless at what she’s talking about.

 

“You’re unbelievable.” Jennie as she turned her head to kiss Jisoo’s check.

 

“What?” Mina asked.

 

“Oh my god, is it about that movie?” Lisa.

 

“What movie?” Joy asked.

 

“That girl to girl movie with a cute blue haired lead.” Chaeyoung, with Jennie nodding her head in agreement.

 

“Cute?” Lisa with a frown on her face.

 

“She’s not cute!” Jisoo answered back, now she has Lisa nods to her in agreement.

 

“Oh, don’t tell me you’re joining Jisoo’s crazy protest too? Dying your hair with crazy color too? Pink perhaps?” Mina asked.

 

~~~~

 

December 9

 

“So, I met with the Parks last week, guess what I found out.” An old man told the whole table, not just any old man, but Jennie’s grandfather. It’s Sunday and her parents invited her for a family dinner. She has no problem whatsoever with it, she loves her family, she missed them too, what she hated about this mandatory household gathering was getting along with her grandfather. They used to be so close.

 

It’s just Jennie’s mom, dad, some uncles and aunts from his father’s side, and her favorite cousin, Mino. They’re all listening to the head of the Kim family as he’s trying to tell a story.

 

“You know that friend of yours, Jen?” He asked him

 

“Who? Chaeyoungie?” Yes, it was only two months after they met when they realized Rosé and Jennie’s families were good friends - business partners.

 

“Yes, her dad told me she’s dating someone, not just someone, a girl.” Her grandfather explained, almost making Jennie choke on the food she’s chewing. Mino laughed at her.

 

“You okay, Nini?” She just nodded at him.

 

“What’s with the world nowadays? Girls pretending to be guys, and guys pretending to be girls. Faggots.” This is just one of the million reasons why Jennie hated her grandfather, aside from being an ill-humored old mad, he’s a ing homophobe.

 

“I’m just thankful I don’t have someone like that in my family. I’ll never think twice about disowning one, if someone from my grandkids is gay. ing disappointment.” Jennie looked at him in disgust, he said those words as if being gay is as low as being treated like animals.

 

“Jennie, you told me on the phone you got something to say to us?” Her mom shifted the conversation before it gets outta hand.

 

“Uh, yes. It's more of a business proposal, really. But I'm not ready with my pitch yet.” Jennie smiled just as she remembered how she often talks about the whole designing thing with Jisoo. It excites her knowing she'll be doing something she's passionate about. It's not that her proposal's not ready, it's all finished up, but she wishes she could pitch that with Jisoo beside her, supporting her.

 

“What business proposal?” Her grandfather butted in.

 

“Ah, lately, I've been really interested in fashion designing and--”

 

“Fashion designing? That's what your proposal's gonna be? That's remotely different to our family business. Jennie, our family's legacy lies within Energy. Shifting from petroleum to wool is stupid. Just plain stupid.”

 

“But you didn't let me finish. You haven't even seen my work.” She protested.

 

“No, Jennie. I don’t need to hear your nonsense.”

 

“But sir, this is the first time I'm actually doing something I want to pursue, could you be more supportive? Let alone be enthused, for me?”

 

“Trust me, my dear. You're suited to running our business which is all about power. Not sketching some stupid designs for clothing. Are you not contented with your luxury brands? The conversation about this is over. I don't wanna hear anymore of it.” He shut down Jennie. She hated how he's in control of everything that involves their family, their business, and now even their interests. She felt sad knowing how hard she worked for all those ideas, and disappointed at how much effort Jisoo exerted in helping and supporting her all the way.

 

“Anyways, I happened to have a meeting with Hanbin’s parents, they told me he’s really giving his all in reviewing for the finals. Are you doing the same, Jennie? Don’t let your boyfriend beat you. I know those Kims, they would likely hire someone from abroad to teach Hanbin with your classes. Not just someone, probably known guys from Sloan, Harvard, or even Insead.”

 

“He won’t beat me. Also, we broke up.” The whole table somehow froze with her statement. They all root for them to last. Well, her granddad rooted for them to last.

 

“What?” He gave Jennie a disgruntled look.

 

“We broke up. I’m actually seeing someone new, sir.”

 

“Why? Hanbin’s a great guy. Sure, he’s always your number 2, but the guy has a great profile. He’s good for you.”

 

For me? Or for the business?

 

“No, he’s the total opposite of that. I found someone, nothing like Hanbin. I actually wanted for you to meet uhm Kim Ji--” Jennie took a leap at that, she felt strange being afraid of showing off her girlfriend to others, not just others, but her family. And well, her homophobe of a grandfather. Jennie looked at her grandfather who has a shocked look on his face, the same goes for the others. She hasn’t actually told about any of them, even with Mino, what happened with her and Hanbin. She didn’t have the chance.

 

“Who’s this new guy? Who’s his parents? From which Kims is he from?” A small hint of relief escaped in Jennie as her grandfather interrupted her. It’s because she dodged being disowned by her family right there, right now. But she feels guilty being ashamed of standing up for Jisoo, for correcting them that she is actually a girl, Jisoo’s a girl. That Jennie’s gay just like her friend, Chae.

 

“I-i’m actually thinking of bringing a date this christmas.”

 

“You can’t!” He firmly opposed to Jennie’s idea.

 

“Appa.” Jennie’s dad calming the old man down.

 

“No. Christmas is already planned months ago. I want you to fix things with Hanbin. Not bring this new guy at our exclusive celebration. That party is for elite families in business, inviting someone outside of our nonpareil circle is a shame.”

 

Jennie rolled her eyes at that. She remembered that it is a christmas vacation for all the huge families in business. The last update about the party Jennie knew was it will be in Jackson Hole this year.

 

“There’s nothing to fix with Hanbin. He’s the worst. If you won’t let my date come over for christmas, then forget about me being there at that stupid chilly mountain.” Her old man disliked what he heard, he slammed the table causing for some to be frightened.

 

“You never talked back at me like that before, until now. Until this conversation about this new boyfriend of yours. It’s clear that you’re with a wrong company nowadays, young lady, with those lesbian friends of yours and that ‘nothing’ person you just met.”

 

“You don’t get to talk about them like that! You don’t know what happened between me and Hanbin, but hell, I’m fine being with those lesbians you despise so much than be with that douche of a guy, Hanbin. So if you don’t want to meet my new uhm boyf- lover, then I guess this will be the last dinner I’ll be spending with you until after your ski party in Wyoming. Good bye.” Jennie stood up and was walking towards the door. She didn’t mind her parents asking for her to calm down. She’s not mad at them, just at her grandfather. If he's stubborn enough like this, Jennie's ten times better than him in that area.

 

You once told me I got that attitude from you, deal with it.

 

“Fine! You can bring that guy here only if you’re still the number one in your department after your finals. I know Hanbin’s preparing hard for this. Good luck with bringing that new boy of yours!” He’s never been this controlling to Jennie. He was always neutral about the rankings, but clearly, some things have changed. She still didn’t correct him about Jisoo being a guy. Heck, she hasn’t even confirmed her uality to her parents. Jennie will just do it some other time. She knows her parents are nothing like her old man, they’re understanding and accepting, unlike him. She just continued walking out and went home to her unit.

 

, I gotta review.


 

~~~~

 

Jennie hasn’t asked Jisoo yet about the trip, nor she even invited Jisoo properly to meet her parents. They haven’t talked about what happened at dinner at Jennie’s house. It’s a Saturday, just two days away from the week long finals. Jennie has no scheduled classes this day since they asked to be excused to have more time to review. She’s drowning herself from all her books when Jisoo visited her in her apartment.

 

“Baby? You here?” Jisoo shouted as she entered the unit.

 

“My room!” Jisoo opened the room and saw Jennie busy studying in her bed with all the books and papers scattered around her.

 

“Wow. Hi.” Jisoo as she went to sit beside her in the bed and gave her a kiss.

 

“Hello. Have you finished your review?”

 

“Yes, Jen.”

 

“Lucky you. I’m not even close to finishing these.”

 

“Hey, I brought a cake. Let’s eat.”

 

“I can’t, Jisoo. Maybe later? I really have to finish studying these stupid subjects before it even finish me.” Jennie while massaging the side of her head.

 

“C’mon, just for five minutes. Have some break. I missed you, Jenjen. You don’t even have to stand up, I’ll go get it for you.” She's trying to compromise while holding the hands of her girl, calming her stressed . It’s true, though. They haven’t seen each other the whole weekdays. Both of them are busy with classes.

 

“Maybe later? Okay? I just, I really need to ace all these.”

 

“I know you’ll do just fine, babe. Let me just hug you like this for five minutes.” Jisoo wrapped her arms around Jennie, who’s really not happy about being distracted.

 

“Jisoo, please.”

 

“What? I really missed you.” Jennie then untangled Jisoo’s arms around her.

 

“No! Jisoo, please!” She shouted as she arranged the papers in front of them. “I don’t have time for this. You’re lucky you’re done with yours. I don't need distractions right now.” Jennie didn’t mean to raise her voice at Jisoo who’s not really at fault for her stress. It’s just that Jennie really wanted Jisoo to come with her in christmas. It’s a surprise, and for her to do that, she has to be number one again. Just too much pressure for Jennie. She realized that she just yelled at her girlfriend who’s just tryna be sweet towards her.

 

“Baby, I’m sorry. I just- there’s so much I have to study and I only have a few days left. I didn’t mean to shout like that. I’m sorry.” She apologized as she reached out for Jisoo’s hand, despite giving Jennie a soft smile, she could still see sadness and hurt in her eyes. Jisoo kneeled on the bed and kissed her forehead after letting out a deep sigh. She stood away from the bed.

 

“I’m sorry for pushing you a break. I shouldn’t be the one adding worry over you. I’m just gonna go. I’m sorry, Jen.” She said as she head out to the door, and before she closed the door shut, she smiled at Jennie and “Good luck, Jennie.” Leaving her there.

 

“Wait, baby! Are we o-okay?” She shouted just before Jisoo totally close the door behind her. She gave her a hearty smile. “Of course.”

 

“I love you.”

 

“I love you more.”

 

Just wait for me Jisoo, this is all for you.

 

~~~

 

“Unnie?”

 

“Yes?!” Jennie shouted from her room.

 

“Have you eate-oh cake, can I have some?”

 

“Sure. Go ahead.”

 

“Wow. Jisoo unnie made this?” Jennie has no plan of getting up from all the review she’s doing, but upon hearing Lisa, she got up and went out to the kitchen fast.

 

“Let me see!” She saw the cake, and it just broke her heart. The cake says

 

I let u top on me, so y not top the exams 2 ;*

 

“Urgh, I threw Jisoo out of here because I’m so busy studying. My god, why does she has to be this sweet.” Jennie said as she the icing off from her finger.

 

“You threw her out? Really?” As Lisa cuts a piece, Jennie hit her hand.

 

“Don’t eat it all, it’s mine.”

 

“Geez mom, I just want a slice. So, why’d you threw unnie out?”

 

“I didn’t really throw her out. I just, I said I don’t wanna be disturbed. And I may have been shouting too. Ugh, okay. I’m such a terrible girlfriend.” Lisa just shook her head and enjoyed her small piece of cake while lurking on her social media accounts.

 

“Okay, you’re really a bad girlfriend, unnie. Look.” She said just before she hands Jennie her phone.

 

It’s a post from Mina with a picture of her and Jisoo baking with a caption that says “She asked for my help, but I ended up doing 95% of the work anyway. 😒

 

“And she went to all this trouble just to bake me some cake. Oh my god, Jisoo, why are you so perfect?!” Jennie as she slightly slammed her head on the table.

 

“Why are you so tensed up anyways? I mean, I haven’t seen you study like this. What’s with all the pressure?”

 

“It’s for christmas. I asked my grandfather if I could invite someone, well Jisoo.”

 

“And? What’s the problem?”

 

“He knew about me breaking up with Hanbin, so he got mad. The next thing I know I told him about Jisoo. So for me to be able to invite her, I have to top the exams again, you know?”

 

“So? That’s easy. I mean you’ve been doing that since the beginning. Unnie, you don’t have to stress over the exams. You’re doing really good. And I think the more you dwell on it and pressure yourself, the more you make it harder for you to concentrate.”

 

“Yeah, I guess so. It’s not only because of the whole invitation thing though, I’m bringing Jisoo whether they like it or not. It's Hanbin too, remember what happened between me and him before? I told him that he will never beat me. And that totally adds up to the pressure I’m feeling right now.”

 

“Oh. I say, stop worrying, unnie. You’ll do it just fine. You’re the best in your batch, I believe in you. So, you’re finally letting them meet Jisoo unnie?” Lisa asked.

 

“Yes, but that’s another problem. You see, my granddad knew about you and Chaeyoung. I can’t believe my grandfather’s homophobic.”

 

“Really? But didn't you just say you told them about Jisoo unnie? How about uncle and auntie?”

 

“Yeah, I told them about Jisoo, well, Kim Ji---” Jennie grunts as she remembers exactly how she almost blurted out Jisoo’s full name. “But I left the part about her being a girl. I got scared telling them right away so, when they assumed it’s a new guy, I didn’t correct them.” Jennie let out a sigh. “As for my parents, I don’t know yet. I haven’t even talked to them about my uality. I don’t know what to do, you know? I don’t want to cut ties with my family or I don’t want them disowning me. But I love Jisoo so much. I just want my family to know how much she makes me happy, how much she completes me.” Lisa went over Jennie to hug her.

 

“Aww unnie, have you talked about this to Jisoo unnie? What did she say? Does she really wanna meet your family right away?”

 

“No, not yet.”

 

Lisa broke off the hug and went over the fridge to get some water. “Why? If things will turn out to be that bad - we’re talking being forsaken by the family here - can’t you guys hide it for awhile? I mean, you’ve been together for like a month, it’s still early, and I’m sure she’ll understand if you’re scared to tell your parents yet.”

 

“This . I’m not afraid to tell the world how much I love her, okay? I love showing off Jisoo as my girlfriend. She’s the best girlfriend, but when I was there at that gathering with my family, I felt like there’s a lump in my throat. I couldn’t tell them about her.” Jennie as she massaged the pulse point in her head.

 

“You two should talk, Jen. She’ll understand. She loves you so much that I’m sure there’s nothing more important to her than making you happy, than making stuff for you easy.”

 

“You’re right. Ugh, if I knew I’d be this gay for someone, well, for Jisoo, I should’ve said yes when they asked us if we’re dating back then, remember that?” Lisa chuckled at the little trip down memory lane.

 

“Yeah, that was what? 4 years ago? Auntie thought we slept together just 'cause we’re both under the sheets. I still remember the shock look on her face.”

 

“I had to lift the covers to let her know you fell asleep in your own puke, god, you’re so gross back then. And so drunk.”

 

“You got me drunk!”

 

“Me? Didn’t your first girlfriend break up with you that time? That’s why we painted the town red, and got you so hammered.” Lisa smiled at that.

 

“Yeah. Anyways, Jen, whatever happens, I’ll always be here for you, you know? Just as you're always there for me, even during that grossest moment in my life. That was the moment I finally admitted to myself “my god, I have the best bestfriend ever.””

 

“Yeah, well, my room reeked of your barf for like a week that I had to change rooms.” Jen rolled her eyes at Lisa before she held her hand. “Thanks, Lees. Love ya.” Lisa smiled at her.

 

“So, best bestfriend, can I have another slice?”

 

“No!” Lisa scoffed at her.

 

“.”

 

~~~

 

All the studying makes Jennie dizzy. She's now over their living room, somewhere in the couch and the coffee table with her own study lamp on. It's all so stressful for her. It's in the middle of the night.

 

“Where the is that paper again? Ughh!” It's making her grumpy with how messed up her things are. Books on top of books, piles and piles of papers around, she's looking for a specific handout when a folder caught her attention. It was the supposedly proposal that she had worked on. She was just bragging about it to Chaeyoung and Lisa, asking for their insights about the whole thing. She flipped some pages and touched at some of the designs she happily and inspiringly created. It brought her some smile, remembering how ecstatic her friends became upon hearing her, and upon giving some comments to her designs. She remembers the sleepless nights she spent drawing all of those, the only jubilant all nighter she had to go through that doesn't involve Jisoo.

 

Fashion designing?...” Her grandfather's voice ringing in her head.

 

...That's what your proposal's gonna be? That's remotely different to our family business...” She doesn't know exactly, but somehow her smile's already replaced by a few tears.

 

...Jennie, our family's legacy lies within Energy. Shifting from petroleum to wool is stupid. Just plain stupid.

 

Just plain stupid

 

Just plain stupid

 

Just plain stupid

 

She grabbed the folder, tear her work into pieces and throw it all in her trash.

 

The world will never know.” She whispered to herself as she took one last glance to her dream that was torn to shreds.

 

And then she finally decided to continue studying.

 

~~~

 

December 21

 

It’s the last day of the finals.

 

“Time’s up.” Jennie’s professor stood up from his seat to accept all the papers. It’s the last exam for the whole semester, making the students excited to go home and celebrate the holidays.

 

“It was nice being able to handle you guys, I hope you’ll make it to spring semester. I’ll post your grades in our group. Have a happy holidays everyone.” He greeted as he arranged the papers in his hands. The students greeted him back. He’s a nice professor.

 

“I’m so glad this is all over.” Sana as she fixes her things.

 

“I know. I can’t wait to go home and sleep.” Yoongi as he’s waiting for the girls to finish securing their stuff.

 

“Me too. I can’t wait to smack your friend in the head.” Jennie as she put on her chanel backpack. The other two chuckled at her. It’s been a whole week of not being with Jisoo. Ever since she brought her a cake, Jisoo had cut off Jennie. No phone calls, no messages, and no seeing each other.

 

“I can’t believe she actually ignored you. Wow.” The three of them started walking out of their room, waving goodbyes and wishing a merry christmas to their classmates on the side.

 

“Wasn’t it your wish to not be disturbed? Jisoo just made that easy for you.” Yoongi defending his friend.

 

“Yeah, well, I didn’t mean for her to snub me like this. You know how hard it was to focus on reviewing when all I could think about is what she’s doing?” Jennie rolled her eyes at them.

 

“Don’t worry, Jen. Jisoo had a hard time herself. And us too, ya know? She’s been whining and whining about missing you so much, I think that’s all ever came from the whole week that she’s moping being away from you. It was annoying really. Now, be a good girl and collect your baby chu.” As if Yoongi knew Jisoo will be there, Jennie’s eyes lit up when she saw her girlfriend that’s been MIA to her for the whole week. She’s outside their room, waiting for her to come out.

 

“You!” Jennie as she threw herself into Jisoo’s arms. Jisoo smiled at how Jennie hugged her tight. Jen dug herself deeper in Jisoo’s embrace. She missed her so much. “You’re a jerk! You’re a ing jerk!” She cried in her arms.

 

“I’m sorry. You told me you needed to focus. I know I won’t be able to control myself and will end up disturbing you again, so I had to block you.”

 

“That was the longest week I had to endure, the hardest too. Oh my god, baby, I missed you so much! You’re a jerk! I hate you!” She cried again.

 

“I love you, Jennie.” Jennie took a step back and wipe her tears.

 

“I love you too, you jerk!” Jennie as she hit Jisoo’s arm before wrapping her arms around her girlfriend again. Jisoo kissed the side of her head. “I’ll make it up to you, baby. I promise.”

 

“Hey, Chu.”

 

“Oh hey, guys. How was the exam?” Jisoo as soon as she pulled away from the hug, but not taking off her arm to Jen’s waist.

 

“Nothing we couldn't handle.”

 

~~~

 

“Jennie, I'm sure you'll do just fine. You did your best. Relax.” Jisoo calmed her girlfriend as she's anxious in refreshing their class’ page to know about their final grades and batch rankings as well.

 

“You don't understand, I need to rank first again.”

 

“I know you will, babe. Chill a bit, aight?” Instead of loosening up, Jennie's distress grew a bit more when the page took time loading.

 

“You don't get it, Chu. I-” She's bit hesitant in telling her about christmas, about the whole meeting the family thing.

 

“What's the matter, Nini? You can tell me.”

 

“The reason I'm so worked up in the last exams is because I-- oh my god, it's here! The results are out! Babe, I'm scared.” Jennie as she buried herself in Jisoo's embrace. Jisoo chuckled at how cute she's being. She clicked the results and checked the rankings.

 

“Jennie, you got it! You're still number one. Congrats, love! I mean, told you so, right?” She told her while still in each other's arms.

 

“You're serious?? Baby, tell me you are not joking.”

 

“You know I won't kid about this stuff. Look at number 1, Jennie Kim. I could even spell it out for you. Jennie: M I N E.” Jennie let out a hearty laugh hearing her greasy girl.

 

“You're such a cheeseball.”

 

“But you love me.”

 

“So much.” They shared a kiss before Jennie finally let herself see the results.

 

“I'm still number one, oh thank god. How 'bout you?”

 

“Meh. I can go check on it later. Or maybe my archenemy will call me right up to say I'd beaten him ag-” She was interrupted by her phone ringing. She chuckled, just as she raised up her phone to Jennie to see the caller id. She answered the call and put it on the speakers.

 

“Hey, Jinyoung.”

 

This is not over, Ji. I promise you, I'll beat you next time!”

 

“I know this is your way of saying “congratulations”, you're just too shy to admit it. Hahaha. Well, thanks, Jinyoung.”

 

No! Don't laugh at me. I'll be the number one next sem! Just wait till I kick your in Aerostructures, or even in Gen. Physi-”

 

“Bye, Jinyoung.” They both laughed at him as Jisoo ended the call.

 

“Baby, congrats too! I'm so happy!” Jennie as she hug Jisoo again.

 

“Thank you, Nini. I guess we should go celebrate?”

 

“Of course! But wait, I have to tell you something.” Jisoo felt the need to be nervous, and Jennie saw the uneasiness in her, so she held her hand to keep her calm.

 

“The reason why I'm so worked up in the rankings is that my grandfather and I had an agreement that if I'm still at the top, I can invite you over to some party in Wyoming. Baby, I want you to meet my family.” Jisoo smiled upon hearing that.

 

“All that stress you went through is for me? Jen, if you told me this earlier, we could have worked together in reviewing.”

 

“I know I should have told you. But I wanted it to be a surprise. Chu, I'm sorry.”

 

“Well, don't be, babe. I mean, you did it! You proved to your grandfather you're still the best.” Jennie loved the compliment from Jisoo.

 

“So, about the meeting. You up for it?”

 

“Of course, Jen! I'll get to meet the family of my amazing girlfriend. When will it be?” Jen chuckled at that.

 

“This christmas, come spend it with me, with us.” Jisoo's smile vanished after that.

 

“Oh.”

 

“That's not a happy “oh””

 

“I'm sorry, Jen. I want to come, really. But remember appa? Tae's dad? Remember he invited me over for christmas? I already said yes. I could still cancel though, I'm a bit hesitant in going too. It's a party in some private mansion, not really my kind of jam.”

 

“Hey, babe. No need to be sad. And no need to ditch your appa. We'll just schedule some other time, 'kay?”

 

“It’s just, you worked hard for this. I'm sorry, Jen.”

 

“Don't be, babe, it doesn't mean my work is invalidated. It was worth it, you're worth it.” Jennie as she held Jisoo's face in her hand.

 

“And I'm the cheeseball?”

 

“Ugh, you ruined the moment. I hate you.”

 

Jisoo let out a laugh after that. “I love you more. So, I guess we'll be seeing after christmas?” Jennie rolled her eyes at that. She pouted at Jisoo.

 

“Another week without my chu? Can I handle that?”

 

“Baby, didn't we just had a week long practice of that?”

 

“It was the hardest week of my life, and I have to deal with that again? I'll miss you, Chichu.”

 

“Don’t worry, Jenjen, we'll celebrate christmas on our own. After your vacation, can I see you?”

 

“Of course! I'd love that!”

 

~~~

 

“You ! You could have told me this is where we'll be spending christmas!”

 

“Jis, I saved you the trouble. I knew you would react like this. I mean, it's been so long. Are you still not over it?”

 

“Really, Tae? You're ing asking me this? You know how much I hated this place. How much it reminded me of her.”

 

“Look, I'm sorry. It's just that mom got excited about you spending the holidays with us, and when she heard the news about this place, she got all sad thinking you'll bail on us. Jis, I did this for eomma. Please, please don't be mad at them for not telling you.”

 

“I'm not mad them, I'm mad at you. Tae, you know better than any other people why I don't like gatherings like this, let alone in this place. A head's up would've been nice. I hate this stupid estat-- oh my god, I can't deal with her right now. She's coming, they're coming. I'm still mad at you! But see you around.” Taehyung laughed at Jisoo who's almost bolting from him. “Love ya, Jis!” She turned around and gave him the middle finger. “ you, V!”

 

“What was that all about?” Seulgi asked as her hand tightened around Irene's waist.

 

“Oh, nothing. You know her, she gets a little over dramatic sometimes. Hi, noona!” Taehyung as he greet Irene, she smiled at him.

 

“Babe, could you grab me something to drink? I'm kinda thirsty.” Irene as she turned her attention to Seulgi.

 

“Sure, you want some too, Tae?” Tae shook his head. “Okay, I'll be back.” She said before kissing Irene's cheek and went on her way to get some drinks.

 

“She's still avoiding me, huh?”

 

“Noona, she's still hurting. I know it's all in the past, but give her some time. Seeing you here, in this house, with Seulgi, isn't really helping at all. Shouldn't I have not invited her? I mean, have I made it harder for her?”

 

“No, Tae. You're just being a good friend. And thanks for bringing her here. It means a lot.”

 

~~~

 

“I don't see that new boy of yours.” Jennie almost rolled her eyes at her grandfather.

 

“Oh don't be so disappointed, sir. We'll reschedule, don't worry.” The old man laughed at how persistent Jennie can be about her new lover.

 

“And sir, it's so nice of you to cancel out Jackson Hole as the venue.”

 

“That wasn't my plan in the first place. I have nothing to do with that. Let's just be grateful to the Kims of Kim Steel Group.”

 

“KSG? You mean Kim Seokjin oppa's family? This is their estate?”

 

“Oh right, he's your sunbae. Jennie, if that Kim is whom you'll be introducing to me as your boyfriend, then we shouldn't have argued in the first place. Those are the kind of guys that are perfect for you. And yes, this is their famous 63-acre property.” Jennie just kept shut at that, if not, they'll be having another pointless argument about who should Jennie be dating. She let her eyes wander around the whole ballroom. The property itself is as big as their own, but not the huge mansion.

 

“I'll leave you be. I'll go talk to some partners.” He excused himself from Jennie. She followed to where her grandfather's going and surprised to see a familiar figure in the distance. So, she went to check if her eyes are not messing with her.

 

“Taehyung? You're here?”

 

“Jennie? Ah, I should have known. I forgot your family is also a part of this circle. Hi!”

 

“So, you're here? That must mean Jisoo is here too? Oh my god.” She almost squealed in excitement.

 

“Yes, she's just wandering somewhere here. Oh hey, she told me you're supposed to tell your family about Jisoo. Now, you get to do that. I mean, she's here and you're family's here. It's a nice coincidence, right?” Excitement is evident in him as he's happy for Jisoo.

 

“Oh my god.” Her expression suddenly changed at that.

 

“Why? What's the problem.” Jennie's reluctant in telling him her problem, but then this is one of Jisoo's trusted friends.

 

“Okay, I'll tell you because you're like a brother to Jisoo. You see, I planned to let Jisoo meet my family this christmas, but it was cancelled since she's supposed to be celebrating the holidays with you. And silly me for not thinking we'll be seeing each other here because of this grand celebration. I mean, you've got your company, we've got ours.” Tae just nodded at her. “You see, I didn't prepare for this since I thought we'll reschedule. And now it's here, you have to help me, Tae. I don't know what to do.” Now Taehyung's all confused.

 

“Help you with what?”

 

“With him.” As Jennie pointed her grandfather in the distant.

 

“What about Mr. Kim?”

 

“I haven't came out to my family yet. And he hates gay people.”

 

“Oh . Does Jisoo knows?”

 

“Not yet since I never thought she'll be in the same room with my grandfather this early.”

 

“Jennie, I think what's best for you is to talk about this with Jisoo. She should know. I mean, sure she's excited to meet your family, but she'll understand if you're not as ready as her to tell the world about your relationship. And how much does your old man hates gay?”

 

“So much so that he'll be disowning one if one of his family turns out gay.”

 

“Ohh that bad? Sorry, Jen.”

 

“I just need to see Jisoo now.”

 

“Yeah. C'mon let's spread out. Talk to her first about this, 'kay? She'll understand, Jen. She'll hate herself if she'll be the reason why your family will hate you or even throw you out of your family. We'll all figure it out.” Taehyung smiled at her.

 

“Thanks, Tae.”

 

~~~


 

“Have you seen her?” Tae asked just as she bumped into Jennie.

 

“No, where the hell is she?”

 

“I tried calling, but it all went straight to voicemail.”

 

“I did too. My god, why is this place so big. And yet, I bumped into you thrice while looking for Jisoo.”

 

“Jennie? C'mere young lady. I'll introduce you to someone.” Jennie's grandfather is hanging by the mansion's patio, clearly talking to some man in a suit. The two got interrupted in their mini search party for Jisoo.

 

“Jennie? Oh dear lord, it's you. Wow.” Jennie looked over at the man who just made the comment, he's standing beside her grandfather.

 

“Appa?” Taehyung interjected.

 

“You know my granddaughter?”

 

“How could I not know my future daughter-in-law?” He exclaimed, pulling Jennie closer for a hug. Jennie shot Taehyung a look.

 

“Your daughter-in-law?” The old Kim asked in confusion.

 

“Yes, she's the girlfriend of my d--”

 

“My girlfriend, sir. Hi. Nice meeting you. I'm Kim Taehyung.” He intervened and gave the old Kim a bow. He gave his father a knowing look just as he straightened up after paying his respect to Jennie's grandfather.

 

“You're Jennie's boyfriend? Oh my dear Jennie. You could have told me earlier this young man is your new boyfriend. So, I see you're dating the future of Kim Aviateurs, huh? Nicely picked, Jennie.” Jennie just gave him a nervous smile.

 

Why did it turned out to be this uncomfortable.

 

“Ah, my son's not really into aircrafts just like his pops. But I have a daughter who's more than willing and capable of being the new face and the future of Aviateurs.” Taehyung's dad proudly boasted to Jen's grandfather, referring to Jisoo.

 

“But still, I'm assured that my Jennie is in good hands. Who's better to be his boyfriend than a guy from another Kim family. A trusted Kim family. Let's cheers to that.”  He raised his glass to Jisoo's appa. Jennie and Taehyung on the other hand cannot believe this is happening.

 

“You know what, you'll sit with us at dinner. I'll arrange for it. Excuse me.” The eldest Kim freed himself from the conversation and went on his way to arrange that dinner situation.

 

“What the hell was that, you two?”

 

“Appa, just go with it, yeah? We're gonna have to find Jisoo. Promise me you won't say anything at dinner? And tell eomma too. We'll fix this, okay? We gotta go, appa. Let's go, Jen.” Tae dragged Jennie inside. They have about an hour left to find Jisoo before that dinner.

 

~~~

 

“Wait. So you're telling me that you haven't come out to your family yet? Even to your parents?” Jisoo turned to Jennie who's looking down as she nodded at her. Jennie found Jisoo walking around the property. Jisoo got surprised when a beautiful girl came to hug her when she was having a little reflection somewhere in the garden of the estate.

 

“And that you might get disowned and thrown out by your grandpappy just because of having a girlfriend?” She nodded her head furiously again.

 

“And you,” she turned her attention to Taehyung who has the same look as Jennie, as if they got caught while trying to ditch a class “you pretended to be her boyfriend because appa almost blurted out our relationship?” Taehyung nodded at her. Jisoo just stayed silent after that, not knowing how to react to their whole situation. The two looked up to her to check if she's mad or anything. Jennie held Jisoo's hand.

 

“Baby, are you mad? It's not what you think. We didn't plan for this. If you want, we could go over to my family right now and tell them. Screw them, I love you so much, Jis.”

 

“Jisoo, please don't be mad at Jennie. At that moment, I really thought that would help the both of you, more importantly, Jennie. I'm so sorry for trying to ruin this whole christmas, Ji. I know I have done enough at that department.”

 

“Wait, why are you apologizing?” She let out a laugh, making Jen and Tae more confused.

 

“You're not mad?” Jennie asked.

 

“No, Jenjen. If anything, I'm kinda baffled to who am I to you now. I mean you're now dating my brother, does that mean I'm the mistress? Holy crap, this is some kind of drama people get hooked in.” Taehyung let out a sigh of relief.

 

“That’s what bemused you? Your role? Really, Jis? And here I am thinking you'll punch me in the face for what I did.”

 

“No. Haha. I'm not mad at that. I'm not mad at all. Tae could you give us a minute?”

 

“Sure. See you guys in a bit.” Jennie nodded at him before the couple watch him walked his way far from them.

 

“Jennie, why didn't you tell me about this?”

 

“I'm sorry, Jisoo. I'm not really sure how to explain all this to you. Baby, I'm not ashamed of being your girl. Heck, I'll tell the whole world how lucky I am that I have you. But when my granddad told me about the whole disowning stuff, I got scar--”

 

“Shhh, baby. To be honest, I don't really see a problem here. I love you, okay? If you're not at all ready to tell about us, let alone come out to your parents, that's fine by me. Take all the time you need, babe. I don't even want to be the reason why they'll throw you out of your family. Jennie, if you want to tell and accept all the consequence, I'm here for you. You can live with me, I mean I'd love that.” They both chuckled at that. “But if you want to keep us a secret first, that's fine too. I'm not here to pressure you into telling the whole world you love me, baby, the only thing that matters is that I know you love me. I don't even care if I'm the only one that knows. I love you and that's all that matters. You're all that matters.” Jennie doesn't know how to respond at that, but sure as hell her heart's leaping for joy on how lucky she feels that she got the sweetest and loving girlfriend ever. She just leaned in and locked their lips.

 

Jisoo looked around to see who's near them after breaking off that intense make out session. They're in the garden with all the lights hanging from the trees and vines. It's getting darker as dinner's about to start.

 

“Why are you looking around?”

 

“I’m checking just in case someone saw me kissing my brother's girlfriend you know.” Jisoo as she slowly runs her hands through Jennie's waist.

 

“Baby, you know I could tell my granddad that I'm not really dating Tae.”

 

“No, Jen. It's fine. If I'm being honest, that whole set up kinda turns me on.” She pulled Jennie closer to her. “The whole forbidden love affair, my god.” Jisoo whispered just as she placed a kiss in Jennie's neck, making the latter’s eyes closed as she takes in the sensation.

 

“Jisoo…”

 

“Hmm? I missed you, darling.” Jisoo was about to kiss her again when Jennie's phone started ringing.

 

“Ugh. It's my dad. C'mon, I think dinner's ready.”

 

~~~

 

“So, what are you majoring in?” Jen shot the supposedly twins a look as her grandfather ask her supposedly boyfriend a getting-to-know question. They're sharing the round table, Jennie, with her mom, dad, and grandfather, and Taehyung with Jisoo, and their parents.

 

“Taehyung?” He asked again. Jisoo slightly kicked his feet under the table as he didn't answer the first time.

 

“Uh, Fine Arts, I'm majoring in Designs, sir.” The old Kim nodded at him. Jennie glanced at Jisoo as she enjoyed her own plate of chicken, unlike the rest of them having a seafood feast. She smiled, remembering how Jisoo's not a fan of any shellfish. She almost got up to wipe some sauce off her girlfriend's face when a woman beside Jisoo wiped it off for her.

 

“Baby, careful with the sauce. It could ruin your dress.” The woman chuckled at Jisoo.

 

“Mom, it's chicken, the greasier, the better.”

 

“Can I have some, Jis?” Tae asked as his fork’s about to reach it when Jisoo pulled it away from him.

 

“You ordered that clam, Taetae. Stick with it.” They all enjoyed watching the exchange.

 

“I think it's nice that the two of you are really close, siblings and all. My little girl here..” Jen's mom started “..she always wanted someone to play with, all she got was her cousin, Mino. And trust me, that does not end well. Always fighting and shouting, it drove me crazy.”

 

“Oh you have no idea how lucky I am that I didn't die of headache because of these two.” They shared a laugh after that.

 

“So, tell me Taehyung, why designs? Why not somewhere in Aviation just like your dad?” The old Kim asked again.

 

“Uhm I guess growing up, aircrafts didn't really suit my interest unlike being able to create something up in my mind and then put it into a piece of paper, it may be a drawing, or painting, anything at all, really. And when I'm done, it's like sharing my thoughts in a visible form, you know? Expressing myself. And hey, my sister here, she's the one with a brain like our dad. I'm proud to say she’s more than deserving to inherit the family business.” Jennie likes how Taehyung tries to build up Jisoo to her family. It's nice having someone be proud of you like that, the more she spends time with the two, the more she loves their bond. Both Taehyung's parents smiled at how pleased they are with how he answered the question.

 

“I see, so how's that working out for you then, Jisoo, was it?”

 

“Yes, I'm Kim Jisoo, sir. And to answer your question, I'm certain I'm doing my best to live up to the expectation thrown at me. Sure, it's hard to fill in the shoes of one of the best in the industry…” Jisoo speaks as she glanced over at her dad “...but sure as hell, it’s motivating, learning from the best, and studying what you love most.”

 

“Wow. I love how your kids are passionate about their studies.” Jennie's dad complimented the other Kims.

 

“Yes. I've been getting calls from universities abroad wanting my daughter to be one of their own. Throwing lots of tempting offers here and there, but then she loves it here.” He told the group just as he looked at Jennie, hinting that she's probably the other reason why Jisoo wouldn't go. Jennie blushed at that which hasn't gone unnoticed by Jisoo's family.

 

“To have offers like that, you must be really, really good with your studies? The best at that even?” The old Kim asked again.

 

“I don't know about that, all I know is that I'm working hard, sir.”

 

“Oh, stop being modest, Chu. She's the top of her class. Her grades are even the highest record their department ever had.” Jennie boasted, proud of her girlfriend's achievements. The old Kim on the other hand, was a little surprised by the nickname.

 

“I didn't know you girls are close?”

 

“Uh, sure.”

 

“Jisoo, that's astounding. You're a beautiful young lady, and to have that kind of record in your profile, suitors must be lining up for you.” Jisoo just slightly shook her head at that as she looked at Jennie. They both know that's true, there are lots of guys that still take their chance on her. And having plenty of girls and guys as Jennie's competition sure as hell gives her doubt that one day Jisoo will get sick of her and leave her for them. But of course, Jisoo always assures Jennie that she will die first before that even happens.

 

“You know what, you should meet Jennie's cousin, Mino. He's a great guy. I'm sure you'll get along.” The tension started with that line. Jisoo and her family felt weird after that, especially Jennie. She didn't like the idea of her grandfather pushing another guy to her girlfriend, let alone her closest cousin.

 

“Oh. I don't think that'd be necessary, sir.” Jisoo politely declined as she knew where the conversation's heading.

 

“Why? I mea--”

 

“Johnny? Taewook?” A man interrupted Jennie's grandfather, she instantly recognized him, Chaeyoung's dad.

 

“Ya, Park Changho, how have you been?” Tae's dad, Taewook, asked him.

 

“Oh, I'm good. I just wanted to make sure I’m seeing this right, the two Kims dining together. Should I call Seokjun? To complete the trio?” They laughed at that.

 

“Don't bother, Changho. I'm sure he's busy, considering we're here in his mansion. Do you want to join us, though?”

 

“No need. I came here to say hi. See you later.” He excused himself again.

 

“I used to admire that man.” Johnny told them just as old Changho settled in his own table.

 

“Used to? We meet at least once a week to play poker, he's a good man.” Taewook defending Changho.

 

“It's nothing against him, really. I guess I was just thrown off by the fact that he let one of her daughters be gay. I mean, can you believe that?” Old Johnny said, disgust evident in his face. “Anyways, as I was saying earlier, Jisoo, why would you turn down an offer to meet a great guy? My grandson is a total package, I'm sure you'll click just fine.” He's busy slicing off the shrimp in his plate, so he didn't notice how irritated the other family became, especially Taewoo. Jennie wanted to strangle her grandfather after saying that, insulting her friend, insulting her even. She hated the fact that her own family member would be the one to offend her girlfriend.

 

“So, Jisoo, should I arrange your date with Mino?” He asked once again. A hint of discomfort is shown in Jisoo's face, all Jennie wanted to do now is to hold her hand and run away from that place together, just the two of them.

 

“No, sir. I'm not at all interested in that date. Can I ask you something, Mr. Kim?”

 

“Sure, what is it?”

 

“What do you have against gay people?” They were all stunned by her question, the situation just got more tense than ever. Johnny looked at Jisoo.

 

“They're disgusting, nauseating even. You're a smart girl, right? So you should know that the God above only created a man and a woman. No gay, no lesbians, neither the other meanings to that lgbtq , just a man and a woman. I can't even think how would a same relationship work. I just can't stand the sight of them. Too bad for Changho, his daughter, Chaeyoung, is really beautiful, but an icky lesbian. Such a waste. ” Jennie watched as Jisoo clenched her fist at that, even Taehyung looked like he's about to throw his plate of food towards Johnny.

 

“Let's not talk about the likes of those obnoxious embarrassments, they're ruining our evening. So, Jisoo, you dating anyone? I think that's the only acceptable reason why you would not meet my grandson.” Jennie could've swore that her grandfather's being oblivious because the other Kim family's ready to throw fists at him any moment now, but he's still busy with his shrimp.

 

“Sorry, sir. But the sole reason why I'm not interested at all is because I have a very beautiful and loving girlfriend. I'm part of those obnoxious embarrassment you despise so much.” Jennie's grandfather is dumbfounded by the news. It came as a bombshell to Jennie's family, but mostly to the eldest.

 

“What?” It's as if he got betrayed, he showed his contempt for the honesty of Jisoo. She was about to answer again when Taewook prevented her from doing so.

 

“Let me ask you, Johnny Kim, did you enjoy riding that private jet Aviateurs custom made for you?”

 

“What?”

 

“How does the ing aircraft worked for you? Because I could seem to recall you can't stop praising our work that you literally brought in three follow up job orders for your company.” Jennie's family remained silent at that, Jennie recalled that her grandfather really loves their private jet because he's been touring around ever since he got the aircraft.

 

“Mr. Kim, what I'm trying to say is that behind that work of art you commended a lot, was just a design pitched by my very own Jisoo. That's right, by my gay daughter. That ing first class, specially made jet plane is outlined, drafted, and planned by her. Her uality has nothing to do with how amazing of a person she is. My daughter is very talented. You have no right of insulting her, let alone gay people in general, because they're more human than you will ever be. I'm not going to stay here to let you slander anymore innocent people just to satisfy your homophobic .” He stood up and were followed by his family members. Before he left, he went to Jennie's side and whisper to her something. “Jennie, honey, I'm so sorry that he gets to be your family. I still love you, dear.” He gave her a kiss in the forehead. The couple, the real couple, shared a look after that. Their gazes are lingering as if they’re communicating through their eyes, as if they're both sorry for the whole meet the family fiasco. There's nothing Jennie could do, but only to watch as Jisoo and her family leave.

 

“I cannot believe you!” That's all she could say.

 

“Do not take that tone with me, young lady. Not in here.” He said just as he stood up and went to their assigned rooms. People are starting to stare and he couldn't risk a scandal like that. Once they're secluded from the rest, Jennie confronted her grandfather.

 

“What is the matter with you?! Why would you even insult Chaeyoung like that?!”

 

“It's not my problem they're lesbians.”

 

“No! It's not. You know what's funny? You're disgusted with the way gay people live, but here I am, disgusted that I'm even talking to you. You're horrible!”

 

“Now you're siding with those lesbians?”

 

“That's not the problem here, my friends are not the issue, you are! You just embarrassed yourself in front of Jisoo's family, no - you embarrassed me! For shame, sir, for shame!”

 

“Oh so now I embarrassed you? No, Jennie, you embarrassed me. I let it be that you're friends with that Park, even that Thai girl you're best friends with, and here you are now, friends with another lesbian? Is that university a shelter for gay people, huh? Or you’re so allergic to straight girls, that's why you’re stuck with those faggots?!”

 

“Wow, you're still not picturing it are you?” Jennie told him just as she put her hands to the side of her head.

 

“Jennie, baby, calm down.” Her parents trying to comfort her.

 

“No! He doesn't understand a thing. All words that came out of your mouth since you seen Uncle Changho are ing rude and offensive terms that are nothing like Chaeyoung. Haven't you figured out yet how humiliating it was for me that I had to listen to you denigrate over the third ? They didn't ing deserve that derogatory you have thrown at them. Jisoo didn't deserve that indirect barb, when in fact you really did enjoy that jet she made for you. Uncle Taewook's right, Jisoo having a girlfriend shouldn't be a problem, that has got nothing to do with her work. She's an amazing person, she's a ball of sunshine that gives warmth to everyone around her, and you bad mouthing gay people like that in front of her is absolute bull.”

 

“What did you just say?”

 

“I said, you're an absolute bull. I'm out of here.” Jennie went over to the door.

 

“Come back here!”

 

~~~

 

Jennie wasn't sure what to do, but she's certain she's gonna have to apologize to Jisoo and her family. She went on her way to their room, and there she is now, just outside their door. She was about to knock when the door swung open.

 

“Jennie?” Taehyung asked. Both of his parents peeped in just to see her.

 

“What are you doing here, honey? Jisoo went out.” Tae's mom told her before she grabbed Jen's arm and pulled her in. “Are you okay, sweetie?” Jennie let it all out, her frustrations, her disappointments, and her guilt. She burst into tears. Tae's mom guided her in sitting on the edge of the bed.

 

“I'm sorry, auntie. About everything, me and Tae, the dinner, and my grandfather. I'm so sorry, Jisoo shouldn't have heard all that. I'm so--”

 

“Jennie, you don't have to apologize for anything. You did nothing wrong, sweetheart. Now, it's christmas eve, let's forget about all that, okay? We still love you, and we're always here. I don't have any advice on how to deal with Johnny, but at the very least, I think your parents have the right to know about your feelings. I'm not pushing you into telling them about Jisoo, all I'm saying is that as parents, we would always like to know what's bothering our child, or we would always want to be the first one to know every little thing they're going through. They love you, Jennie. Coming out or not, accepted or not, we will be by your side, okay? All of us. Anything for you, and for Jisoo.” Taewook smiled at her as he comforts Jennie. Jennie felt lucky to have them as her support. She had only spent a couple of dinners out together with Jisoo's family, but here they are, caring for her like she's their own child too.

 

“Thank you, thank you so much, auntie and uncle.”

 

“No, no. We've discussed this already. We're mom and dad, right?” Tae's mom corrected. Jennie's lips finally curved up into a smile.

 

“Right.”

 

~~~

 

“Mom? Dad?” It happened a lot of times, but Jennie's still not used to bumping into someone else while searching for Jisoo in the damned huge property. They're now on the patio of the mansion, just beside the humongous fountain with its colorful dancing lights.

 

“Oh, there you are. We've been looking for you.” Her mom told her which almost made her roll her eyes.

 

“You have no idea how hard was that, mom.”

 

“Nini, do you have something to say to us?” Her dad told her.

 

“Okay. First off, I have to apologize. I think I've been fighting with grandpa lately, it's so messed up. He's so messed up. I'm sorry, mom, dad, for all the walkouts, the shouting, the drama - really. Sorry about dinner. I just, I couldn't stand him diss at my friends like that, when he doesn't know how much they mean to me, and how much they've done for me. I love my friends, they're all important to me.” Her mom held her hand.

 

“We understand that, baby. To be honest, he's been really off lately. I'm not tolerating him, though. What he did was beyond humiliating for our family. And I'll have to go apologize to Taewook after this.” Her dad told her. Jennie smiled at that. This is what she loves about her parents, they're totally nothing like their old man.

 

“I'm so sorry that this christmas isn't going well. Not at all what I had in mind.” Jennie admitted to them.

 

“What do you have in mind?” Her mom asked her, and if Jennie's not at all overwhelmed by their whole situation starting from the fake boyfriend thingy, she would have noted the hint of teasing in her mom's tone.

 

“Uh, nothing, just a nice meal together with Jisoo…” She eyed her mom again as she suspiciously smiled at her “...and Taehyung of course, their whole family. And then grandpa just had to ruin that. Worst christmas ever.”

 

“You know what baby, I'm kinda hurt that you didn't tell me about your date. I was surprised when you just brought it up at dinner, I was even more surprised that I didn't know about your breakup with Hanbin.” Her mom told her.

 

“I'm sorry, mom. After I broke up with Hanbin, I got busy with lots of uhm things. Yeah.” She lied to her mom...

 

Things? Or with Jisoo, perhaps?” ...and she can't believe she knew.

 

“W-what?”

 

“I'm hurt that you didn't tell me what's been happening to you these past months, but I'm more hurt that you felt the need to lie about Jisoo. Nini, I told you, you can tell me anything, you can tell us everything.” Jennie gave them a busted look just as her father nodded with what her mom just said.

 

“Wait, you knew?! You knew about me and Jisoo?!”

 

“Not until now, not until that reaction. So it's true then?” Her dad asked.

 

“Y-yes. She's my girlfriend.” She shyly admitted to her parents.

 

“You didn't have to hide that to us, sweetie. Though I kinda understand where the fear is coming from. Dad must've scared the hell out of you when he first brought up the disowning thing.” Jennie nodded at her dad. “Jennie, he could cut you off his life, but that's just him. We're never going to abandon you just because you're being true to yourself. We love you no matter what.” To even say that she's the happiest gay in the world is an understatement. Jennie rushed to wrap her arms around her parents, tears falling, and her little sobs were all her parents heard.

 

“You okay, baby?” Her mom, in the middle of the embrace.

 

“I'm just so grateful to have you both. I love you, guys.” It's nice to have other people accept you for who you are, but it's nothing compared to the feeling of coming out to your own parents. They both kissed her forehead.

 

“So, when do we get to have a real meet the girlfriend dinner with Jisoo?” Her dad asked just as they broke off the hug. They chuckled at that.

 

“Wait, how'd you knew about me and Jisoo? I mean, what gave it away?” She asked.

 

“Jennie, sweetie, you're both so obvious at dinner. I mean, the lingering glances? You haven't even looked at Taehyung except when he's talking. You're all heart eyes over Jisoo. I'm pretty sure you almost wanted to chop the chicken for her and feed her. At one point before the whole drama, I thought you're drooling just by looking at her.” Her parents shared a laugh just as Jennie nudge her mother. “I am not!”

 

“But there's one more thing you didn't tell us.” Her dad told her just as he opened the manila folder he's been holding the entire time, without being noticed by Jennie.

 

“What is that?”

 

“See for yourself.” He handed her the folder. Jennie was astonished to see her files just as she remembered how it looked before she tore and throw it down.

 

“Where'd you get these?” It's her business proposal. The one about her own clothing line.

 

“I think this was supposed to be a surprise christmas gift for you by Jisoo, but I don't think she'll mind.” Her dad smiled at her.

 

“Jisoo gave this to you? How? When?”

 

“Just last week. I think that's what really gave it away, her love for you, I mean. She told us how you're so passionate about this and that it broke her heart when Lisa told her that she found your proposal in the trash. She said she kinda knew something was up because you wouldn't throw it all away just like that. Baby, when someone goes this beyond just to make you happy, I guarantee you, you've got a real one.” Her dad explained and her heart just melted at that.

 

“Yeah. Jisoo's a real one.”

 

~~~

 

Jennie ditched the countdown christmas party. She went back to her room, took off her dress, and put on a more cozy and weather appropriate clothing -  a sweater, parka jacket with a fur hoodie, tights pants, and boots. She would have loved the christmas ball, getting all fancy and stuff, but it's nothing compared to being warm and homey with Jisoo. After her talk with her parents, she decided to text Jisoo to meet up and talk. To her surprise, she asked if they could just leave the formal celebration and just have one on their own. Now she's all pumped up waiting for her just outside the mansion, not minding the looks of some people, dressed to the nines, that she has no idea who. A couple of minutes later and a club cart pulled up, revealing a thick clothed Jisoo. Jennie thought she's gotten a lot more cute wearing a yellow beanie that matches the color of her long peacoat jacket, on top of her tracksuit.

 

“Need a lift, princess?” She says with her flirtatious tone.

 

“Sorry, I have a girlfriend whose super strict about me riding with a stranger.”

 

“Oh, too bad, I gotchu some warm milk and cookies” She shrugged. Jennie's eyes sparkling with excitement.

 

“You got me milk n’ cookies?!” Jennie eagerly hopped in the cart. “I don't think my girlfriend would mind.” She added. Jisoo let a laugh break out of her before finally letting her lips curved into a pout and ending their shenanigans. Jisoo started driving away from the mansion.

 

“Baby, seriously? You got persuaded over some milk? I thought you'd choose someone over me if it's Jensen Ackles or Ryan Gosling asking, but a glass of milk? Seriously?” Jennie chuckled at how cute Jisoo is being.

 

“Why not? Warm milk in this weather? Babe, I'd choose that over everything.”

 

“Jis, where are we going?” She asked just as Jisoo continues to drive them around the large estate, further from the main house.

 

“Don't worry, we're not going out of the property. I uhm, I found this place earlier. I thought we could sneak in.” Jennie looked back and she could still see the flashing lights fleeing as it hits the huge glass windows of the manor. She sits up and enjoyed the ride as they pass through perfectly lined trees on both sides of the driveway, covered with some snow and a bunch of very sparkly christmas lights.

 

“How’d you manage to get one of these?” Jennie as her eyes roam around the small vehicle.

 

“I used my charm.” Jisoo winked at Jennie, earning an eye roll from the younger.

 

Their ride came into a halt just as Jisoo got off the cart and made her way towards the bushes, end of the tracks.

 

“Where are you going?”

 

“Almost there. C'mon, babe, let's go.” She grabbed Jennie's cold hand and carried the basket out back on the other. Jennie didn't ask anymore questions, she just followed Jisoo as they move towards what seems like a forest.

 

“You found this earlier? No surprise Tae and I spent hours looking for you before dinner. You're such a wanderer, Jisoo.”

 

“Jenjen, If I knew you'd be here, I would have asked you to ride with us. I would've spent the whole day with you, I could've prepared in meeting your family.” She stopped walking and faced Jennie.

 

“I'm sorry for ruining dinner. You already told me about how much he hated gays, but that didn't stop me from keeping my mouth shut. I flipped out when he called Chaeyoung icky, and I just know how that's a total low blow and a ing inappropriate remark. Chaeyoungie is far from being icky.”

 

“I know, baby, I know. Don't say sorry, please. It wasn't your fault. If anything, it's mine. I should have told you about this earlier, starting from the dinner where my granddad and I reached an agreement about the whole bringing you over. I shouldn't have kept things from you, babe. Sorry that you had to listen to him all night with his disgusting mouth. Chae's nothing like what he said, you're both nothing even near a disappointment.” Jisoo smiled at that.

 

“I think that's enough drama for tonight, I mean it's christmas eve.” They both laughed at that, recalling the whole afternoon's stressful events. “Let's get us warmed up.” Jisoo continued walking, not letting go of Jennie's hand.

 

Soon they reached a small, lofted cabin. If it wasn't for Jisoo discovering the cottage before sun down, they could have not found it again because it's mostly covered in snow now.

 

“Lucky, it wasn't locked. Let's go.”

 

The cabin is pretty much the only thing that's not extravagant in the estate. Not with a fancy lighting, huge glass windows, just simple wooden cabin with a spacious living room with a fireplace in the middle. It has a short spiral stairs that lead to the bed which is pretty much the only room there. Jennie walked over to some cabinets which are mostly contained with books.

 

“Oh, jackpot.”

 

“What you got there, Chu?” Jennie walked over her.

 

“Just some fine bourbon.” Jisoo holds up the bottle and grabbed one of the glasses she brought from the basket. She opened the spirit and poured a little into her glass. She inhaled its aroma just before she lets the hard liquor sit in , eyes closed. “Oh my god, that's the stuff.” She exhaled, making Jennie chuckle. The younger continues to navigate through the shelf when she found a small brown paper covering something slender and short, it's size is from Jennie's thumb all the way to the tip of her middle finger.

 

“What's this?” Jisoo grabbed it from her hand and smelled the thing.

 

“It's probably a cigar.” She snipped again. “Ahh Montecristo No. 2” She breathed out. Jennie raised her eyebrow at her.

 

“What?”

 

“Baby, if you know it even when it's wrapped, you know it too well.” Jisoo chuckled at that.

 

“Sorry. I’ve had these back then, it was my favorite.” Jennie smiled at her, probably because of the word was.

 

“It's a shame, you could have been bestfriends with my grandfather. A glass of spirit and a cigar? You'll probably click just fine.” She joked.

 

“Well, his loss.”

 

“Yeah.” Jisoo left Jennie a bit to pick some woods to put on the fireplace. Jennie on the other hand, settled the couch all bundled up with the blankets they brought and prepared some foods Jisoo packed. Jisoo came back with scrap woods on her hand, she's putting some in the fireplace to warm them up while Jennie picks something to watch on the tv in front of them.

 

“I'm really glad that you're here with me.” Jisoo joined her under the blankets, Jennie felt safe and snug wrapped inside Jisoo's embrace.

 

“Same. I was really bummed when I thought I had to spend a week away from you.”

 

“A merry christmas indeed.” She looked at Jennie and they shared a soft kiss on the lips.

 

“Shoot, it's our first christmas together and I don't have your gift. I mean, of course I got you a gift, but it's back home.”Jennie pouted.

 

“It's fine, Jen. I don't have yours with me either. We can just exchange gifts when we get back.”

 

“That's no true. I already got mine.”

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“Baby, the proposal? Why didn't you tell me you've met my parents already?”

 

“Oh. Haha that? Jennie, if I overstep anything, I'm sorry. I know you probably wanted to present that by yourself, but when I saw your hard work torn to pieces, I know something's up. I should've asked you about that, Jen. So I went to your parents just to ask if they've got something to do with why you would just rip it apart. They told me you tried opening up to them, but got turned down by your granddad without even being fully heard. Jennie, your work's amazing. I know everyone in the world of fashion deserves to see tha--” Jennie jumped on top of Jisoo, forcing her lips towards her. It took Jisoo seconds to respond, but when she did, she made sure to go wild in pleasuring her girlfriend. What a way to celebrate their very first christmas eve.

 

/// Your lips, my lips… a p o c a l y p s e ///