Sunlight, Moonlight

Princess Charming
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
03 SUNLIGHT, MOONLIGHT  

“Miss, are yo— Nayeon-unnie?!“ A familiar voice broke my train of thoughts, “Oh my, are you okay?”

 

I wiped my tears and looked up to see a worried Dahyun holding an umbrella. It has been approximately 10 minutes since Jeongyeon left. I was still slumped on the sidewalk, not moving an inch since then. Partly because my emotions are still running high and partly because I couldn’t; my ankle hurts like hell.

 

Dahyun offered me her hand, “Here.” I took it. “Can you walk? Lean on me unnie.”

 

“What happened?”

 

“I sprained my foot.” I said as I shift my weight towards her side, “Thank God you came.”

 

“I was actually on my way home, but J—“ She stopped, “I mean, I was gonna buy something from Family Mart” She pointed to the nearby convenience store, “Then I saw you.”

 

“Thank you.” I said softly, “You can just leave me here. I’ll ask my room mate to fetch me.” I told her, gesturing to the bench on the nearby bus stop.

 

“What? Nonsense. I’m taking you home.”

 

“Are you sure?”

 

“Unnie, I’m not gonna leave you here.”

 

“Thanks Dahyunie. I really appreciate it.”

--__---__--

 

I was fumbling with my keys when the door of my apartment opened. It was Mina, a surprised expression on her face as she looked at me from head to foot. “Nayeonie! Omo, are you okay?” She opened the door widely so Dahyun and I can enter. “What happened?”

 

Momo appeared a few seconds later, of course she’s here. “Why are you wet?” She asked before turning her attention to Dahyun, “And who’s this cutie?” Momo beamed so brightly that it seemed like she just won the a thousand bucks. I made a face.

 

“Momo behave.” Sana appeared behind Momo. She looked at me for a millisecond then turned to Dahyun, “Nayeon-unnie are you okay? Hi. I’m Sana, a close friend of Nayeon.” She said in a soft flirty voice. The hell?

 

I’m so close to putting these two on a leash.

 

Dahyun seemed to be flabbergasted. “Minatozaki Sana? Aren’t you an actress?”

 

Oh yeah, I forgot. Sana is a daytime drama actress. She appears in television every once in a while. Recently, she starred in ‘BDZ’, a post apocalyptic web series where a girl’s love, together a with a CG, which looks like little heart stuffed toys saves the world from complete chaos. I haven’t watched the series to be honest, but Sana said it has a pretty good reception. Even in Japan. This why I don’t understand why they’re still munching off goodies from our apartment when she pretty much earns a lot more money than me.

 

Sana gasped, a bit too excited, “She knows me! Are you a fan? It’s always nice to meet a fan.”

 

Momo made a face and rolled her eyes, “Cough- show off –cough” She faked a cough which earned a glare from Sana, “I’m Momo, I taught her how to act.”

 

“No, you didn’t!” Sana protested, “She didn’t.”

 

“Oh my God, guys! Cut it out. Stop making Dahyun uncomfortable!” I yelled at them. Seriously, these two don’t know when to shut up. They’re making everyone in the room embarrassed without even realizing it. Especially Dahyun who just smiled shyly.

 

“Stop it, you two.” Mina told them as she took my arm away from Dahyun, “I’ll take it from here, Dahyun. Thank you so much.”

 

“No worries. Unnie take care next time.” She told me, waving a goodbye. “I’ll get going.”

 

“What? Nooooo. Have a coffee first.”

 

“Yes. Do you wanna eat something? You must be so tired. Bringing our beloved unnie all the way here must be really draining.”

 

Beloved unnie? I wanna smack both of their heads. They haven’t even offered to help me in the slightest way. I wanted to say something but both of them disappeared into the kitchen with an unwilling Dahyun in between.

 

At that moment, Momo and Sana looked like big bad wolves luring little red riding hood Dahyun into the kitchen. I shook my head as I clung to Mina as she lead me to a chair beside my bed. She left to get something and when she came back she was holding a towel. "What happened?"

 

Mina asked in such a gentle tone that I just completely broke down, "Mina, I'm a terrible person." My tears started falling uncontrollably.

 

I didn't have to say anything more, Mina pulled me into a tight hug. Sometimes, I wonder how I ended with such an angel room mate. She’s really an angel, in and out. Mina is the kindest, gentlest, calmest, serenest person I have ever met. I’m also convinced that God spent a little more time on her because her beauty is ethereal. Add to that, her killer figure (she also has abs for goodness sake) and her silky black shoulder length hair, she’s really out of this world.


"You're not." Mina gently the back of my head repeatedly. I feel secured. See what I mean? Mina is a human temple. "Do you wanna talk about it?" She asked.

 

"No. At least, not yet."

 

"Okay."

 

We enjoy the silence for a while.

 

And then I fell asleep, still thinking of Jeongyeon.

 

--__---__--

 


Have you ever read a story or watched a series where there's this likeable character at the beginning but then she turns out to be this super evil antagonist who secretly makes the protagonist's life miserable?

 

Because that's what exactly Yoo Jeongyeon is. I’m back to hating her again.
 


When I said my last boss was a certified, top of the line, class A , that is because I haven’t met Jeongyeon yet. She is way much worse.

If my last boss is an A+ , Jeongyeon is an A+++++++++++ .


A few weeks have passed since our awkward confrontation and Jeongyeon stayed true to her word, she didn't bother me with stories anymore. She started ignoring my presence all in all, as if I didn't exist.

I even contemplated whether to apologize or just let it be. Frankly, I felt guilty. Really guilty. She was just trying to be a friend, I know, but there's just this feeling I couldn't explain. It hurts just to look at her.
 


So I just let it be. We ignored each other in the office.
 


Until she started being the office . It started with simple commands, then favors, then she’d increased my workload and then she'd criticize my writing, in front of an audience.

“Jihyo, look at this. Tell me what you think.” She had said one day, when Jihyo dropped by our cubicle. I had just submitted an article regarding the trends of Korean Fashion.

Jihyo may have winced a little but said, “It's okay, I guess.” I would’ve felt vindicated back then if not for Jeongyeon’s next words.

“But we're not settling for okay. We want an excellent writing. Or good, at the very least.”

Jihyo pondered, then read the article again, “I think... it's too direct. You can explain how it turned out to be like that, you know, elaborate. What the readers want is to take them through a journey. Tell a story.”

I almost scoffed, “Making it direct to the point is better than beating around the bushes.”

“But honey this is too direct.” Jeongyeon interjected.

“You can’t just say this or that without an explanation. You know, just like in human relationships. You can’t just break up with someone without a reason. Well, actually you can but that's just childish. It wouldn't be right. Walk them through it or they'll just end up confused.”

Jeongyeon shot me a knowing look. “Exactly.”
 

, I knew she was trying to shade me.

 

If she's not embarassing me, she'd dump a pile of paperworks in my desk. Saying a quick, ‘Can you help me with this?’ She’d say help her but she doesn’t really do work. Of course, I’d nod so as to not prolong our conversation. She’d mutter a ‘Great, thanks.’ Then leave and would not show her face again until I get the work done. This would happen at least twice a day and has been going on everyday since 2 weeks ago.

Ughhh i hate her i hate her i hate her.

 

"Hate who?"

 

I was jolted back to reality by Jihyo’s voice. I realized I had been muttering my feelings outloud since Jihyo, Dahyun and Chaeyoung are looking at me weirdly. "Your assistant editor."

 

We were in a nearby café, the one where I first learned that Jeongyeon is Kyungwan. Actually scratch that, they’re not the same person. Yoo Kyungwan is a prince; Yoo Jeongyeon is a witch. I will choose to believe this until the day I die.

 

"Yoo Jeongyeon?"

 

"Who else? She's such a not to mention a bully."
 


"She's just playing around with you." Jihyo chuckled, "Jeongyeon is really nice."

 

"101% agreed." Dahyund seconded.

 

"She's nice to me too." Said Chayoung, as she took a bite of her cinnamon bun.

 

I rolled my eyes at them. "I get it. She's nice to everyone except me."

 

“Maybe you did something to piss her off?”

 

I avoided their look, “Nah.” I lied, “She’s just born evil.”

 

Jihyo shook her head, smiling. “You know what, you’re just stressed out. You need to unwind. Which reminds me, there’s gonna be a Hoesik tomorrow night. You should come.” Dahyun and Chaeyoung nodded. Chaeyoung in particular, looks excited. This made me smile, she doesn’t even look like she’s allowed to drink.

 

“Is the witch coming?”

 

Jihyo shrugged, “I don’t know.”

 

“Why don’t we ask her?” Dahyun interrupted, "She just came in.”

 

Before I could protest, they called in an oblivious Jeongyeon, who just entered the café. She was wearing a flannel over a white tank top, partnered with black jeans and a pair of specs. I would’ve been swooned by her looks if not for that ugly pair of shoes she was wearing.

 

“Jeongyeon-ah, are you coming to drink tomorrow?” Jihyo asked.

 

I panicked when I feel her nearing my back, “Why? Would Nayeon bail out on you if I go?” She said in a teasing tone; my panic intensified. “Kidding. No, I won’t. I’ve got something to do tomorrow.”

 

They talked some more as I sat there frozen, not saying a word. Jeongyeon bid goodbye after a few minutes and I let out a deep sigh.

 

Yeah,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter