NINE

Tightrope

Seohyun was trying to hit her chest, while Krystal’s hand automatically found its way on her unnie’s back. Minho was just alarmed as his girlfriend and his eyes widened and brought the glass of water by her lips to help her drink. Seohyun finished the while glass of water, while she was being fanned by Krystal with her hand. The man had his eyes widened as he watched the scene in front of him. He looked around and spotted the restaurant’s menu from an empty table nearby and quickly got it and used it to fan the woman to help her with her supply of air.

“Unnie, are you okay?” She had so much worry in her eyes, while her fingers wiped the few tears that formed in Seohyun’s eyes as she choked.

“Yeah, yeah. I’m all good. Thanks everyone for helping me out and I’m sorry for causing a scene and making all of you worried,” she chuckled lightly in embarrassment, while she wiped the moisture from her eyes. She sniffed a few times, then she was able to compose herself once more.

“Noona, how are you feeling?” Minho was looking at her with full of concern as well.

“I’m good, now. Thank you, dear.” She lovingly patted his cheek as if she was talking to one of her patients and this just made Krystal smile widely, but she was also holding in her laugh.

A waitress approached their table when she saw a bit of a commotion going on earlier and asked how they can help. Seohyun explained that she just clumsily choked on her food and thanked the waitress for her concern and explained that her companions reacted maybe a bit too much because they are doctors. The waitress understood and asked to be called anytime they needed anything before she the left the party.

“Oh, uh, guys; wait, or girls, sorry. I’d like you to meet my friend, Kyuhyun hyung. We used to spend every summer together at camp and we became close ever since. He’s also the best lawyer ever.” He walked over beside Krystal and put his arm around her. “And this is Krystal, the only lady in my life.”

“What about your mom,” his girlfriend asked him.

“Let me rephrase that— this is Krystal, the other most important lady in my life.”

The two people who had just been introduced gave each other a bow, then shook each other’s hands, since the girl grew up in a foreign country with a Western upbringing. “It’s nice to meet you, attorney. I’ve already heard great things about you from this one,” she smiled at the lawyer and pointed to her boyfriend as she addressed her source.

“Oh and hyung, this is Dr. Seo Juhyun, she’s Krystal’s— I’ll take it from here, honey, thank you.”

Seohyun could only chuckle at their cuteness still, but there was an obvious nervousness in the one that she gave off, but of course, only one person is able to observe that because she probably doesn’t need any introduction, especially not to him.

“Attorney, this is my Seohyun unnie. She’s the younger sister of my older sister’s close friend. She’s a pediatrician in the hospital that we’re currently residents at.”

Seohyun tried to conceal her anxiety by smiling and bowed to greet Kyuhyun, while he also gave her a bow as an initial greeting. “It’s nice to meet you, attorney. I’m sorry for what happened earlier, it was unfortunate that we had to meet in such way.”

“Yeah, it’s unexpected that I’d meet you in that situation, but don’t worry about it, doctor. Maybe we can even talk about it the next time, right,” he raised his eyebrows as he asked her and gave a smug smile.

She only nodded, understanding what he meant. “Have you had dinner, you should tale your seat now.”

“Yeah, hyung. You better grab something to eat now.” Minho put his arm around his shoulder and led him to the seat beside him.

They all took their seats and Seohyun was just happy that she only had a few bites of her food left because eating right now would really be awkward. They all chatted and asked the lawyer to get to know more about him, which was mostly done by Krystal. When the topic of being married finally came up and having a child, Minho asked how old was his child again and he said that the kids was already five. Krystal suddenly asked Seohyun about her niece’s age and she said that she was five years old as well. She was avoiding Kyuhyun’s gaze, but Krystal suddenly asked about what it’s like dealing with a five year old.

“Why don’t you start first, doc,” Kyuhyun remarked. “Since you have the most experience with them, too.” He playfully raised his eyebrows to annoy her even more.

She knew what he was doing and she kept her composure by just smiling and just explaining naturally. “Since we’re talking about my niece, she’s such a smart child and she’s not like she’s five because she understands that my work can be a lot demanding, she has her nose stuck in a book at all times, and I really enjoy the moments I spend with her, even if it was all of a sudden. Now, talking about five year olds in general, it depends. Some can be like my niece who is really just contented and can sit quietly for hours by reading, she’s also competitive but knows that most of the time being a team player is much better. There are also kids who you need to male extremely tired before you can have a serious conversation with them. That age is the crucial stage from officially leaving babyhood to being a kid, so it’s fun to see the changes of those kids.” She took a sip of her water after what she shared, then looked at the man who turned out to be the surprise gate. “What about you, Atty. Cho, what’s it like being a father to a five year old?”

“I agree with what Dr. Seo said and my daughter is very much like your niece. Maybe, they even share most qualities, based on your stories.”

“Yeah they share a lot of similarities because they’re just the same person,” she was screaming to herself in her head.

“Sometimes I feel like I’m talking to an adult, but at times she’s still really mostly just a kid. Like for example when she wanted to eat pizza and all the other restaurants were already closed, she didn’t throw a tantrum and said that she could eat it some other time. She’s neither a mommy’s girl or a daddy’s girl, but her heart’s really big. She’s like an adult, but I just want to protect her from the world, you know. Other kids would cry when they’re the only ones left at school, but she knows that when we pick her up late it means that we’re busy.” He just smiled proudly as he thought of his daughter. “That little girl has a heart that’s just so pure, but a brain that’s big.”

Everyone at the table laughed and was touched with how the two older people talked about the children in their lives. Krystal explained that she asked because she was considering to specialize in pediatrics with her chosen specialty, but she was having doubts whether or not she should push through. Minho, on the hand, just admired how the two talked about the little girls, especially with his hyung because he was all about mischief in his younger years and never thought that he’d be a serious family man.

“Hyung, I bet you’re one of those dads who just give into their daughter’s request especially when her mom says no.” He smiled at the thought of the hyung that he knew now that he’s a dad.

Krystal smiled widely, imagining how cute it would be, whe Seohyun’s eyes watched him intently after what Minho said. Kyuhyun’s eyes met hers and he swallowed before he chuckled nervously, while Minho hit his arm.

“You’re the ‘don’t tell mommy I fed you candies or ice cream for breakfast’ type of dad, right?” He just smiled at the man beside him before he continued. “You’re not Cho Kyuhyun if you’re not evil somehow.”

“Nope, I’m not that kind of dad.” He looked at Minho and ruffled his hair. “A lot has changed, you know.” He pursed his lips together and formed a thin smile.

Seohyun could see his honesty through his words and his eyes. Even when they’re together, she could tell that Kyuhyun wasn’t the type of dad that Minho assumed him to be.

“But I do give into her requests, which is always going to the library, reading more books, telling her a bedtime story, asking me to guard her from monsters, racing with her even if I’ve had a long day, and playing with her when she wants to.”

“That’s so sweet, Atty. Cho!” Krystal couldn’t help it as she found everything to be cute.

Seohyun was really touched with what Kyuhyun said and she couldn’t help but smile. She knew about their little races because her daughter would tell her stories if it and how she would win against her dad. She suddenly remembered one Saturday when she just woke up and saw that they were bonding while brushing the hair of her daughter’s dolls.

“They won’t stay that little forever, so we need to spend more time with them. I bet even Dr. Seo treats her niece just the same.” Kyuhyun smiled softly as he met her eyes that were already focused on him.

“Oh, yeah, yeah.” She was taken aback when the mic was suddenly passed onto her. She’ll admit that she was starting to lose focus as she remembers the priceless momentsnof Soojin with Kyuhyun. “Whenever I’d pick her up from school we’ll take a short walk in the park, but sometimes we’ll just sit there and start to ask about each other’s day. You really won’t expect a five year old to check up on an adult, but my niece does. Atty. Cho is right, they won’t stay that little forever. That’s why even if I’ve had a toxic day, we make sure that even crossing the street would be some sort of a little game for us, when I get her changed and cleaned up when we arrive from school, I always find time to watch cartoons or a movie with her during the window that I gave her for television use. She would sometimes stay in the kitchen while I’m cooking, but we’ll soon find ourselves chasing each other and waltzing around just to copy what she watched in a movie, or even some goofy dance that she learned. She would also ask me to sleep beside her and I couldn’t refuse because I will honestly lay down my life for that child.” She nodded slowly as she swallowed the lump that formed in . “She’s not gonna need me forever in a blink of an eye that sweet little girl might even be embarrassed to see me kissing her cheeks or holding her hands in public.” She chuckled lightly after her last statement.

“I hope she won’t,” Kyuhyun immediately reacted.

The younger couple just nodded and agreed.

“Hats of to you, noona. It must’ve been really hard to step up suddenly as a parent, but you’re doing a great job.”

“I second the motion, Dr. Seo. You’re doing a great job.” He raised his glass of water in the air for the doctor that was sitting in front of him before he drank what was remaining of the glass.

She bowed her head respectfully to show her gratitude. Her eyes were glassy, but she just knows in her heart that she’s happy that Soojin’s in her life. “At first I thought that I won’t be able to do it because she’s not mine. She’s no one else’s kid at that point, so I only did what ai thought I could give her, and that’s just love, but I sometimes feel like I’m not doing enough.”

“Unnie don’t say that, of course those who know can see your efforts. You are definitely someone to be admired.”

Minho eagerly nodded his head, while Kyuhyun slowly nodded his to avoid probing from the other two people present at their table.

“I shouldn’t be taking all the credit, you know. Of course I won’t be able to do all of those things alone.” She simply looked up to meet Kyuhyun’s eyes to avoid any suspicion from the two. “I’m really thankful for all the help I got.” She pursed her lips together to for a smile.

“I hope I meet your niece soon, unnie. I bet she’s a perfect piece of Yoong unnie.”

She looked at Krystal and patter her cheek gently. “She really is.”

Kyuhyun’s eyes were starting to water as he could feel something that tugged on his chest. However, he was brought back to reality with his friend’s question.

“Hyung, when will you introduce your wife? I haven’t met her and I’m still shocked that you already got married.”

“Well, you know, she’s always busy and her schedule’s always full, so she only really spends the rest of her available time with our kid.”

Seohyun got nervous with the question, but she was happy with how well he was able to handle it.

“Can we see a picture of her or all of you together,” Krystal asked cutely as if she was a child because she was so amazed to meet such family man. Her dad was also a lawyer, but she and her sister didn’t get to experience that from him.

Kyuhyun and Seohyun didn’t expect that and they were starting to panic in their minds because of what happened, but they were saved by the sound of her phone ringing. She quickly apologized before taking the call, then picked it up just at the second ring.

“Mommy, when will you be home,” Soojin asked from the other end of the line.

“Soon, sweetie. I’m sorry. I’ll be on my way,” she explained to the child.

“Alright, but I’m already getting sleepy. Just be careful and take care. Bye mommy!” Soojin still tried to sound cheerful despite the sleepiness.

“You heard that. Kyuhyun suddenly dropped her off here because he said that he also has an urgent meeting tonight,” Mrs. Seo asked her daughter through the phone.

“Yeah, umma. I know about it. Thank you for watching over her. I won’t be too long. Please let her sleep first.” She listened to a few reminders from her mother, then she finally ended the call.

Kyuhyun looked at his watch and as if like clockwork, his phone suddenly rang and before he could say hello, a little child’s voice started their conversation.

“Hi daddy! Are you almost done?”

“Hi, baby. Yes, yes, daddy’s almost done. Are you already sleepy?”

“Yes, but I want to wait for you or mommy.”

“It’s alright, dear. You can sleep while waiting, but I’ll let you know when I’m there.”

“Okay. Bye, daddy! See you in a bit,” the little girl said before handing the phone back to her grandmother.

“Sorry if we interrupted your meeting, Kyu, but this girl insisted to hear your voice and Seohyun’s voice first before she agreed to sleep.”

“No worries, thank you so much for the huge favor and I’ll be there soon.” He listened to a few reminders and would only reply yes before she apologized once more and ended the call. Kyuhyun smiled as he ended the call with his mother-in-law and looked around at the table. “Tonight’s been fun, but that was my wife and my kid. I gotta go home and something important came up that we need to discuss,” he quickly looked at Seohyun, then at the two residents before he stood up.

Seohyun knew exactly what he was talking about. “Me too, that was my niece and my mom and she’s already looking for me. Sorry we have to wrap this up now, but it was fun and it was nice to meet you, Minho. Oh, and you, too, Atty. Cho.” She almost forgot to address Minho’s older friend as a stranger, but she was still able to do it without them suspecting anything.

“Please don’t apologize. Thank you for adjusting your time for us even your schedule’s already packed unnie. If only we won’t be busier in the coming days, we wouldn’t have planned this tonight.”

“Yes, pleased don’t feel bad. We could’ve gotten to know each other longer and spent more time, and maybe even with your niece next time. And thanks so much hyung for coming despite the short notice.”

The two new doctors said their goodbyes to their older friends, and they still stayed a bit more in the restaurant. Seohyun and Kyuhyun, on the other hand, has quickly went out of the restaurant and rode in separate cars. As soon as they were inside, she gave the lawyer a call and said that he should go straight home and she’s going to fetch Soojin from their house.

“Drive safely.” That was his only reply and immediately pressed the red button.

The tone of his voice and the limited reply, she knew that he was upset. She started to pull from the driveway and left Kyuhyun’s car in the parking as she drove to her parents’ house.

He waited for her to leave, then he started to make his way home. With tonight’s events, all he wanted now was to just go straight to sleep.

 

 


 

 

Author's note: Almost done with posting the multiple updates!!