EIGHT

Tightrope

“SEOHYUN UNNIE!”

She turned around upon hearing a girl’s voice screaming for her. She looked for the source of the voice and immediately spotted the girl. Her face lit up in just a snap and she hurriedly approached her, while the other girl did the same by jogging to her. They gave each other a hug, paired with a squeal. “How are you?!”

“I’m doing great, well, you know, tired, but I made it here!”

She put her hand over and looked at the girl with so much pride and her eyes were starting to water. “I know, you’re finally here! I’m so proud!”

“I still got a bit more time, unnie and though I was nervous at first, I’m happy and because I have my safety blanket here with me.” She smiled brightly at the doctor in front of her and noticed that her eyes were glassy. “Hey, look at you being all emotional again.”

“Sorry,” she looked up at the ceiling, then closed here eyes before shaking it and looking at her. “I’m just so proud and emotional because I’ve known you since you were younger and now you’re finally here with me, and you know, it’s no secret that—“

“I know, unnie, I know.” Krystal already cut her off since they knew each other since they were still in high school. Her older sister were classmates with Seohyun’s older sister and the two were also really good friends and the similarity of having a younger sister just made the girls bond even more and the four of them would even hang out together. “That was the initial reason why my own sister became friends with Yoong unnie right?” The girl laughed sadly at the memory and looked down.

“I’m sorry,” Seohyun apologized. “I feel like ai just killed the whole vibe, but let me tell you something; she’s very proud of you, too.” She smiled sincerely at the girl and patted her head lovingly.

“Unnie!” She could no longer help it, but she could only throw herself on the older girl for a hug and let out tears of her own.

“Look at our this girl, you’re still our baby Jung,” she said before laughing as drew circles on her back with her hand to comfort her as she wrapped her in her hug. Her other hand quickly found its way to her eyes to wipe her tears that quickly fell.

Krystal broke the hug with a pout on her face and her brows furrowed. “Hey, I’m a big girl now, unnie.”

She laughed before pinching the girl’s cheek. “Yeah, sure, if you say so, Dr. Jung.” She smiled as she addressed her in that manner.

She blushed in an instant and her eyes formed crescents as she smiled, hiding the tears that formed upon hearing her dream title. “Yeah, uh—“

“Krystal!”

They looked at the source of the voice that called to the other lady doctor, who was in the process of her residency. The person jogged up to them and Seohyun just watched intently at the person who was fast approaching them. As soon as the person got to them, Seohyun’s presence was acknowledged after she was given a bow and she returned the gesture.

“Oh, unnie, this is Minho. He’s also a resident here and we’re dating,” she said the last part shyly, a tint of pink slowly forming on her cheeks, as she introduced the other person to her. 

Seohyun smiled as she looked at Krystal, wanting to giggle how shy the younger girl got, then looked at the male resident and gave him a warm smile. “I’m very happy to meet you Minho.”

Minho suddenly got shy himself and extended his hand this time. “It’s really an honor for me to meet you, Dr. Seo. I know that we will also learn a lot from you.”

She took his hand, but instead of shaking it, he pulled the tall resident closer to her for a man hug, which shocked him. “If you make our baby sister cry, I’ll make sure to break all of your bones in the most painful way possible. You got that,” she whispered in his ear.

Krystal watched the scene before him and she could only see her unnie’s hand patting her boyfriend’s back.

“Don’t worry, doc. I’m training to be a cardiologist, so I really don’t plan on breaking her heart,” he whispered back, but he was masking his fear from this woman.

She gave him final pats on the back, before finally pulling away from the hug. “I can tell Minho’s a good kid,” she smiled at Krystal before looking at Minho. “I can’t wait to catch up more and know more about your guy, but I need to do my rounds.”

“Doc, why don’t you have dinner with us?”

Seohyun’s eyes widened at the invitation, not because of the agenda, but because of who gave out the invite.

“Yeah, unnie! Let’s all have dinner, how does tonight sound?” She looked up at him and they nodded, agreeing on their schedule.

“I’m gonna have to check my schedule after my rounds, then I’ll let you know.”

“I really hope we can push thru later, unnie! We’ll see you around!” She gave her one last hug and she was hugged by the pediatrician tightly.

“I’ll see you around,” she said as she waved to them with a smile before walking away.

 

Kyuhyun was currently talking with his client, when he received a message from Seohyun to call her if when she’s free. He immediately excused himself, then immediately called the person who messaged him. “What happened, is everything okay?”

“Nothing’s wrong, Atty. Cho,” she said on the other end of the line.

He quietly relaxed his chest and released the tension without wanting to sigh loudly for her, also for his client in the room, to hear.

“I just wanted to ask if you could pick up Soojin from school today. There are new residents and they kinda needed an extra hand.”

“Oh.” He quickly opened his planner and checked to see his meetings for the day. Luckily, he didn’t have any documents that he’s scheduled to review later and this was actually his last meeting. “Yeah, that won’t be a problem. I could do that, yeah.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yeah, I have nothing scheduled later.”

“Thank you, thank you!”

“No worries, so I’ll see you at home?”

“Yeah, I’ll see you at home. Bye,” she said as she was the first one to end the call.

Kyuhyun quickly sent her a text that he was actually having his last meeting for the day, but didn’t say that out loudly because if the client will hear, they might have the meeting extended after knowing that it was his last work commitment for the day. “Sorry, that was my wife. She just asked me if I can fetch our daughter from school today because she has a work emergency.”

“Oh, no worries, attorney. It seems to me that you’re a good husband and a great family man.” The middle-aged woman smiled warmly at the lawyer who was good at his profession, but ultimately gave time to call his wife and talk about their child’s welfare even if he was in the middle of work.

He smiled before bowing at his client. “We’re a team, we’re just trying to make it work, since she’s a doctor. We need to know immediately if we’re going to be available for our kid.”

“Then you two are such great parents. Your daughter’s lucky to have you both.” She smiled warmly at Kyuhyun while nodding. “Okay, let’s continue, so we can quickly finish and you can leave on time for your daughter.”

 

Seohyun arrived at the restaurant and was greeted by a staff, but before she could answer that she had companions that arrived before her, they both raised their arms to wave at her and smiled at the lady to say that she was with them. She approached the table and apologized for being late.

“Unnie, you weren’t late, we understand.”

He nodded in agreement with his girlfriend. “We only arrived here two minutes before you did, doc.” He smiled at her.

“Oh, alright. I thought I was too late.” 

The couple shook their head simultaneously and she laughed as she watched them. These two seem like they’re really each other’s perfect fit, she thought, but she didn’t want to make that assumption early on because she’s about to find that out tonight.

“Where’s the menu, I’m already starving,” Krystal said before making them chuckle. Meanwhile, Minho raised his arm about the complaint of his girlfriend.

 

“Drop it already, will you?!”

“Sorry,” Minho apologized to the woman beside him.

Everything was going smoothly as the three of them caught up while they ate their dinner together, and she asked about when and how they met and when they started dating, and her early assumption seemed right, but she was shocked with Krystal’s annoyed tone all of a sudden.

He placed his phone on the table and it lit up along with a buzz from a notification. “I’m sorry, but I have a friend who wants to meet up with me soon and I told him that I’ll be busy in the coming days and he’s going to be busier as well, so he’s trying to ask me when our free schedules will meet.”

“Oh,” Krystal could only answer with a hint of guilt on her voice.

Seohyun found their interactions cute and would honestly want to if only she was seated beside her, but she was beside her boyfriend. She would hold in her laughter instead. “Then why don’t you invite your friend tonight?”

The couple looked at the doctor in front of them with a shocked expression.

“What, did I say something wrong?”

“Would that be okay with you, doc?”

“Well, I don’t see why not. What about you, Soojung?”

“Y-yeah, I don’t have a problem with it.”

“Just ask your friend if tonight would be okay, then if it’s free, ask your friend to join us.”

Minho had a shy expression on his face as Seohyun found a solution to his dilemma. He bowed his head and thanked her and smiled shyly again.

Krystal just looked at Seohyun with a smile on her face. “I’ll sit beside unnie.”

“Hey it’s still not confirmed if he’s coming,” he explained.

“Whether he’s coming or not, I wanna sit beside my unnie. I haven’t seen her for a long time, don’t miss me too much.”

Seohyun could no longer contain her laugh and just shifted her gaze between lovebirds. “You, two.” She could only shake her head as she laughed.

“What did your friend say?” Krystal asked her boyfriend as she sat across from him this time.

“He said he’s not going to make any promises, but he’ll try to see what he can do.”

“I hope he shows up so he can meet unnie and she finally start dating someone.” She had no idea that her older friend was already married as she got married in secret. She even proudly told him that she was so goal-oriented that she’s never had a boyfriend until she graduated and until now.

“You know I don’t have time for that, Soojin’s my top priority, and thankfully I was able to make arrangements earlier and that kid’s really mature for her age.”

“Just like Yoong unnie, and you. She definitely has great female genes running through her.” Krystal smiled at her as she placed her head on Seohyun’s shoulder.

When they were catching up earlier, she told them that her niece was now under her care since the accident happened and her life only revolves around that little girl outside of work. The only people who knows that she’s married are the people from Soojin’s school, this includes her teachers, her classmates, and her co-parents since most of her classmates are also her patients and they would see the lawyer and the doctor often.

“We can’t set them up, babe. He’s already a family man.”

“Oh, I’m sorry.”

Seohyun pinched Krystal’s side playfully. “You gotta be careful next time to avoid being stuck in awkward situations, alright? We’re not gonna be there at all times to look out for you and clean up your mess for you. You’re lucky Minho’s always looking out for you.”

He smiled as he heard the doctor say compliment him indirectly. “Excuse me,” he said before standing up go answer his phone. He returned quickly and the two women were staring at him.

“Was that him?”

He nodded at his girlfriend’s question. “He said he’ll make it tonight. Would it be alright to wait for him, doc?”

Seohyun nodded at the male resident and smiled warmly at him. “Noona would be fine,” she told him before she resumed with her meal.

He smiled brightly and he quietly let out a slow and deep breath to release the nerves that he’s been feeling since she was threatened by the overprotective doctor.

 

A man was walking around the restaurant and Minho was able to recognize him. “Hyung!” He stood up to acknowledge the person who was approaching their table and left the women.

The two women were still chatting, their backs were facing the entrance of the restaurant, thus not seeing who was coming in and out. They allowed Minho and his friend to say their pleasantries before they reached the table and his friend was introduced to the ladies.

“Sorry to keep you waiting, I didn’t mean to be late,” the man who just arrived said as he approached the table.

The women who were still chatting as they ate looked up after hearing the foreign voice that had just joined them, and as soon as Seohyun saw who it was, she immediately felt her food lodge on .

 

 


 

 

Author's note: Sorry for the slight delay again! I really don't have the time on my hands anymore 😅