FOUR

Tightrope

Their next stop was the small family restaurant near their place to get Seohyun her soup. They opted to just have takeouts, thus Kyuhyun was the only one who would leave the car and enter the restaurants. Unfortunately, the restaurant was already cleaning up when he walked in and the couple was apologizing to him since it seemed like his timing was off.

“I understand.” He was only able to purse his lips together to form a small smile. “I was hoping we could get something for my wife—“

“What, why didn’t you say so?!” The middle-aged woman exclaimed in surprise, while her husband hurriedly went to the kitchen screaming to switch the burners on. “You wait right here and give us a few minutes.” She smiled sweetly at him before running to the kitchen herself.

Kyuhyun was confused, but he just sat, as he was instructed by a man who seemed to be around the same age as him to do so. “Oh, alright, thank you.”

They were all smiling warmly at him and just a few minutes later, the middle-aged couple went out of the kitchen with two bags on each of their hands that were filled to the brim. Their two kids got busy at the counter, while the another one still ran from the kitchen and cam out with another bag. They were all smiling brightly at him.

Kyuhyun was very much confused with what’s happening, but he was just happy that he was able to get food for Seohyun.

“Dear, I know you only ordered one serving of pumpkin soup, but we gave you an extra one and don’t worry, that’s on us. We also gave you two servings of seaweed soup and don’t worry they’re all for free, and we gave you a lot of our side dishes. You don’t have to pay for the extras, your total bill only consists of your original orders.”

He could only blink. “Ahjumma, this is a lot, I only ordered samgyetang and one—“

“Don’t worry about it, son.” The middle-aged man smiled at him. “Consider it a gift.” The older couple in front of him nodded and insisted him to take what they have prepared for him.

“You’re such a good husband, going out at this time in the cold just to buy her cravings.”

Now he totally gets it, they obviously misunderstood when he pulled that line earlier, but he wasn’t able to finish.

“Make sure she eats properly, these are all great for expectant mothers, but the samgyetang is off limits for her, got that?” The woman reminded him.

“Oh, and son, here’s a tip; if she does get moody or snappy, just try to avoid any arguments and understand her, alright?”

He only smiled awkwardly and nodded. “Thank you,” he said before giving them a sincere, but shy bow. He went to counter and paid for their food and grabbed all of the bags. He assured them that he didn’t need any help and shared that she was actually in the vehicle and they had just argued before they arrived there, thus she might still be in a bad mood. As soon as he got out of the restaurant, he opened the trunk of their SUV to place all of the food there.

“That was a lot of food,” Seohyun said to him as got back behind the wheel.

“Yeah, you have no idea.” He drove off and headed straight home so they can finally have their meal.

 

Seohyun helped Soojin to get herself cleaned up and dressed her into her pajamas, before she went to get herself ready for dinner. Kyuhyun was already in his pajamas and watching TV in the living room, finishing his bread that almost became a source of a huge argument earlier, when the little girl started to descend carefully from the stairs. She ran to the couch and sat beside her dad and made herself comfortable by leaning her head on his arm as the watched cartoons. As Seohyun made her way downstairs, the little girl ran to meet her at the bottom of the stairs.

“Mommy, let’s eat!”

The table was already set, since Kyuhyun had already fixed it as soon as he got downstairs. He pulled the chair for Soojin and helped the little girl up on the chair and he smiled upon seeing her excitement because of the fried chicken.

Seohyun was just stunned with the amount of food from the restaurant that became their last stop before going home. All she wanted was pumpkin soup since it was already late and she knew the repercussions of eating heavy at night. “That place that you last went to really gave us a lot! I think we should go there often— but, weren’t they about to close when we arrived?”

“Yeah they were actually cleaning up and the kitchen was already closed, they even apologized at first, but they were still able to accommodate us.”

Soojin was dancing in excitement because of the tasty fried chicken and she paired it with the vegetables that were given to them as a side dish that had a generous serving.

Seohyun, on the other hand, as much as she was enjoying her meal was confused with what Kyuhyun had just said. “Huh? How were you able to get all of these if their kitchen was already closed?”

“Oh, I told them that you were a doctor and you started your duty very early in the morning, even before the sun was up, and you just got out of the hospital and you haven’t had any food yet.” He rambled as he enjoyed his samgyetang while concealing the true events that occurred earlier.

“That was very nice of them.”

“Yeah, that’s the reason why they even doubled up on the servings.”

“We should really definitely visit their place more.”

At this point, he just remained quiet.

They divided the extra food amongst themselves, but since they were all full, it was kept would be eaten the next day. The adults asked how the little girl’s day went in school earlier and they knew that they weren’t given any academic activities on Fridays. Soojin narrated that she had fun as she and her classmates played a different kind of tag wherein they would assign characters and ran around a circle and taking their opponent’s spot in order to change the it.

Seohyun couldn’t help but apologize for what happened tonight, but they reassured her that it was fine and she narrated what happened in the ER and that things got out of hand, thus a need for a team of doctors in needed to be present and her areas specialty was the most required. They couldn’t blame her, they knew how good she was.

“My mommy is the best doctor in the whole wide world,” she exclaimed as she threw her arms around her mom and hugged her.

She could only cry at the younger girl’s remark. “Yeah, she is,” she looked up before closing her eyes.

He knew what was going through her mind and placed his hand on her arm, while his thumb her arm gently.

She knew this habit of him was his way of comforting people. She looked at him, tears lining her eyes wanting to spill, and she mouthed to him “she really was.”

Soojin pulled herself away from her mom and noticed that her eyes were glassy. “Mommy, why are you crying?”

“Nothing, I’m just touched.” She smiled at her and kissed her cheek before pulling her closer to her.

The little girl’s head was resting comfortably on her chest, but she was looking at her dad. Her position was just perfect for her ear to listen to the beat of her mom’s heart.

“I hope you can just stay this little forever, sweetie.” She sighed after voicing out her wish.

Soojin once again pulled her head back and looked at her mom. “But mommy, I can’t stay like this forever. I’m actually a big girl now. How can I stay a baby forever when I want to to be a big girl and learn a lot more things. That’s hard to do when you’re just this little, you know.”

They could only look at her in disbelief. She really was no longer a baby, and who could blame this kid? They know she’s already too smart for her age since her nose has always been stuck in a book. It has always been that way since she was in the womb, anyway because her mom would already read to her as her mom was a bookworm herself.

“You’re really smart, baby,” he told her as he brushed her hair with his hand before pinching her cheek.

“That’s because I’m the daughter of a lawyer and a doctor, right, daddy?” She playfully cupped her dad’s cheeks in her hands before pinching them. She went to her dad and hugged him “that’s what you told me earlier, daddy. All I know is I have the best mommy and daddy.”

He kept creating circles on the little girl’s back with his hand and gave her a kiss on her hair. “Yes, you really do.” He looked at Seohyun and they both nodded, both of their eyes were glassy and now lined with tears.

Now it was her turn to place her hand on his arm as he hugged the child. She pursed her lips together and formed a thin smile as she looked at him and gripped on his arm tightly.

He was also only able to form a small smile as their eyes met, and with his other hand, he quickly wiped the tears that were threatening to fall.

She broke the hug between her and her dad and saw that her mom’s hand was still on her dad’s arm. She smiled at the sight, but grabbed her mom’s hand and lifted it from its hold and took a seat between her parents without letting go of her mom’s hand. She then took her dad’s hand and held it in her other hand as well and she happily sat there as they watched cartoons, with each of her parents’ hands in hers.

 

Seohyun was holding the duvet on her daughter’s bed, making sure that it was lifted before the two other people went inside the room.

Kyuhyun gently placed the child on her bed, then placing her whale plushie beside her. He fixed her hair and gave her a kiss on the forehead before standing back to gaze at the sleeping child. Her parents features were clear even in her sleep, she got the upper half of her face from her mom, while the lower half was from her dad, and she most definitely inherit his smile.

She carefully tucked her in, not wanting to wake her and causing any disturbance to the young girl’s sleep. She already felt bad with how she ruined her day, though she was assured that it wasn’t the case. She placed a soft kiss on her forehead after tucking her in, and another one on her cheek. “Good night, sweetie.”

 

 



 

Author's note: Hi everyone! This chapter may have been short, but I assure you, all the other chapters will make up for it :) just give me time to upload them in about 3, 2...