SEVEN

Tightrope

“Have fun, but not too much fun!”

Yoona laughed when she heard her baby sister’s message at the other end of the line.

“Seo Juhyun, what are you talking about?! Our daughter’s just turning three years old in a few months, we still want more time to enjoy with her before we look after another one,” Siwon explained to her sister-in-law because his wife’s phone was on speaker.

“Hey, I thought you were only talking to me? How come you’re two-timing me with her? Are you really my sibling, hyung, or did you decide to replace me with her already?” Kyuhyun’s voice boomed from his brother’s phone, as if he was a jealous toddler who didn’t want to share his sibling with another person.

“Why didn’t you tell me that someone else is eavesdropping?!” Seohyun screamed on her sister’s phone.

“Seriously, how old are you two really?! It wasn’t our fault that both of you called at the same time, but my dear husband’s driving, so I also had to get his phone for him and place it on speaker,” Yoona explained to each of their younger siblings.

“Oh yeah, I understand. Someone over there will probably throw a tantrum if his call was ignored and hold a grudge against Siwon oppa.”

Siwon and Yoona just looked at each other, laughing quietly because they knew exactly where this is going.

“Are you talking about me, Seo Juhyun?”

“Well, I wasn’t giving out any names, but if the shoe fits.”

“What an evil little—“ Kyuhyun wasn’t able to finish because of the sounds of laughter that was heard.

“You, two, really are something,” said Yoona as she held the two phones closer to her, thus the two other people on the separate lines were also able to hear each other clearly.

“I don’t know about you, two, but—“ Siwon just shook his head and laughed as he found their younger siblings’ constant bickering cute.

“Anyway, our service is unstable since Siwon is still driving, but we’ll let you guys know once we’ve arrived, alright? And don’t worry, we won’t be having too much fun, we’ve planned to spend more time with our daughter before we give her a sibling.”

“But if we won’t be given another one, then we’ll just spend our whole lifetime watching over that precious girl of ours.” He looked at his wife and smiled lovingly at her.

“We’ll call you or message you, maybe in a few hours? It’s already a bit late, but we’ll inform you as soon as we get there, alright?”

They all said their goodbyes, then ended the call. “Those two argue like a married couple,” Siwon said before chuckling.

“Who knows, they might actually make it work in the future.” She just laughed and imagined how chaotic it would be, if ever.

Yoona looked at Siwon, teary-eyed from what he said earlier. She was just touched with his words and she was so lucky to be married to him. From the corner of his eye, he saw her looking at him, thus he grabbed her hand and kissed it as he drove. The two were celebrating their 13th anniversary together as a couple, but this was only their second year celebrating it as husband and wife.

They started dating as soon as they graduated from high school, and Yoona was a bit hesitant at first, but in all their years of high school, all her husband did was court her. When she told her that she wants to be a doctor and that will take a long time, Siwon said that he will wait for her no matter how long it takes. In all those years of dating, they never once broke up, and though she would tell him at times that she wanted to break up with him because she was tired, he was still persistent and talk things through with her. She would often joke that he will be a good lawyer because he would always convince her, but he explained that she was always unreasonable and when asked for the reason for wanting to break up, she would just cry and say that she didn’t know. Still, he understood her and never left.

They were looking forward to spend the weekend together in a house that he rented for them because they needed this rest away from her patients and his cases. On the way there, with their hands still intertwined as he drove, they started talking about the ideas that they had for their daughter’s upcoming birthday even if it was still months away. Of course, they wanted it to be perfect.

“Siwon,” she called to him from her seat.

“Mhm?”

“Did you ever regret marrying me?”

He just gave a hearty laugh as he looked at her in disbelief. “Really? You’re seriously asking me that, and of all days, you really chose today?”

She glared at him and gave him a light whack on his head. “Just answer the question!”

“Yoong, come on! Do you really think I would chase you for three whole years if I didn’t wanna be with you? You even turned me down on my last shot, but did I give up? Hey, I think I should be the one to ask you that when you would just randomly think of breaking up for no reason.”

She started laughing and hit his arm lightly. “Shut up, I’m sorry, okay. You know, my hormones were on a haywire because I’m running on zero sleep most of the time.” She covered her face with her free hand as she remembered the embarrassing moments that her husband brought up. “How about we answer that together?”

“On three; one, two, three. No.”

“No.”

The two answered in unison and smiled at each other. “I’ve made the right decision, every bit of it.”

“You really don’t regret any of it?”

“None, Yoong. Wait— I do have a teeny tiny regret.”

Her smile immediately turned upside down. “I wanna hear it then.”

“I should’ve started courting you since we were in elementary, but I didn’t know you then.” He smiled cheekily, which earned a poke on his cheek from her.

“Me too, I don’t regret marrying you. My only regret was trying to break up with you when I lacked sleep, but trust me I always wanted to hit myself for that.”

“Don’t! I don’t like it when you get a bruise or hurt anywhere.”

“No, but really. I’m lucky that I’m married to you and we’ve been together this long, and now we have a little girl. Everything’s just in place.”

“We’re now in our dream profession, you as a doctor, me as a lawyer, then we had another dream of becoming parents and that’s been ticked off, too. I’m the luckiest man alive.” He brought her hand up and kissed it. “Everything’s in place because you’re in my life, you know.”

“You’re making me cry again!” Yoona wiped the tears that lined her eyes from her husband’s words. “The life I have right now wouldn’t be possible if you’re not with me. We make a great team.” She smiled at him.

“And we make a beautiful one, too.” He looked at her and smiled upon meeting his wife’s gaze.

A screech was heard a few meters away, but they didn’t care much about it since it was coming from the opposite direction and the lane was wide enough. As the couple were sharing funny stories in their vehicle, everything suddenly turned bright. They noticed that the truck from the other lane was heading toward their direction and though Siwon was trying to avoid it, but the speed of the other vehicle was too fast that an extremely loud thid was heard and everything just faded to black.

 

Seohyun was reviewing the patient’s cases on her clipboard, when suddenly her phone rang. “Yes this is she,” she said through her heart that was beating loud and fast. After hearing what was being narrated to her, her face slowly lost color and she could no longer comprehend what was being said to her.

An unknown number flashed on Kyuhyun’s screen, and he was hesitant to pick up at first, but something told him that he must take this one. How can a client call him at this hour, he thought, but when the person introduced himself to be from the police, he knew something was not right. “Yes, speaking,” he said to confirm his identity. He could feel his legs turning into jelly and he immediately fell on the floor, tears creeping up on his eyes, and the sound of his blood rushing blocked the voice of the police officer.

 

In the station, Kyuhyun arrived and saw a very distraught Seohyun. She was still in her scrubs and the only thing that kept her warm was her white coat that told people what her profession was. He approached her and the bickering and the arguments were pushed aside. He could only hug her, while she clung onto him tightly bawling her eyes out, releasing what she’s been holding back the whole time she was alone. He had tears of his own, but he silently let them out as he held onto her.

After they calmed down, the officer explained to them that they were able to check their last call history and saw their names, in addition to the fact that their names were listed on each of their older siblings’ IDs as their emergency contact. The officer explained that the truck from the opposite lane had a drunk driver who fell asleep, thus over speeding instead of hitting the breaks and hit 5 other cars, with Yoona and Siwon’s vehicle being the last of the casualties. When they saw the pictures from the scene, they couldn’t help the tears from creeping up on their eyes. The vehicle was flipped, and it was crushed by the other vehicles. They said that it looks like Siwon tried to shield his wife from the impact, but her head and neck was badly injured, but Siwon still tried his best.

Seohyun’s brain felt like it was able to function normally again. “They have a toddler, a two-year old. Was she… was she in the car with them?”

Kyuhyun held onto her shoulder in order to support her from any bad news that will be given to them. He was hoping and praying in his heart that his niece was safe if she was in that vehicle, though it seemed impossible.

“Thankfully, she wasn’t. She was actually dropped off at your parents’ home before they went off.”

Seohyun was still in the hospital, so she had no clue that her niece was dropped off at home. She had a huge relief in her heart that their little girl was okay.

The officer excused himself and Kyuhyun guided Seohyun as they made their way to the chairs. “I’m just thankful that we still have a piece of them with us.

 

After the funeral, they were at the Cho residence, with their parents and their niece present, with a lawyer to explain everything that was written on the will. Seohyun and Kyuhyun just looked at each other and neither of them said a word. They both gave the same answer that they needed time to think about it and talked through things on their own. After a few days, they were able to make an agreement, had another family meeting with the lawyer and everything was settled. The two found themselves moving in at the home that their siblings bought and worked hard for, leaving everything in their care, especially their niece.

The two families agreed that in just a month before the child’s birthday, the two would get married and they could only say that it was for the best for their niece. Since then, Seohyun and Kyuhyun lived as man and wife.

 

With his hands in his pockets, he took a deep breath. “But you know what, I’m just happy that we still have a piece of them left with us.” 

She could only nod before she tilted her head to the side as her eyes looked down at their graves. “Soojin’s just the perfect combination of these two.”

“And that house as a bonus. They really just handed everything to us.” Kyuhyun only chuckled to conceal to his sadness.

Seohyun heaved a sigh and bit her lower lip. “And their reason was because they wanted their daughter to keep her happy memories of her in her bedroom and not be stressed about moving early on, but— but everything in that house just reminded me of them.”

He could agree with her because the first time that they spent the night in that house, she stayed in the guest room, while he stayed in the office downstairs, but first decided to sleep in the living room until he found the couch too small. The only time that they moved into the master bedroom was when Soojin was four years old, when she would start asking a lot of questions. However, though they slept in one room after their daughter asked why the big room is empty and they came up with all the possible excuses, they agreed that Seohyun will be taking the bed, while he will be sleeping on the floor.

“Do you think they’re mad at us?”

“No. I can confidently say that they think we’re honestly doing a great job and nothing can make them happier than seeing their daughter in our care.”

“They entrusted her to us, every year I come here to promise them that I’ll protect that little girl with my whole life even if she’s not mine.”

Kyuhyun grabbed her shoulders and made her turn to face him upon hearing her words. “She may not have come from you or from me, but she’s now yours and she’s ours. Don’t ever say that again.”

Seohyun’s eyes became lined with tears, while she swallowed the lump in . As she nodded, the tears finally escaped and before she could wipe them, his hands supped her fave and he used his thumbs to wipe her tears.

He closed the gap between them by pulling her in for a hug. He placed a kiss on her hair to comfort the woman in his arms and heard her heave a sigh as she rested her head on his chest. “You know what, if there’s anything that they feel or want to say at us, I know that they feel proud because we were suddenly ed into parenthood, but we’ve managed to pull it off.”

She quickly wiped the tear that had just escaped again. “I really hope they are.” She let go of him, breaking the hug between them, and stood beside him once again looking at the grave. They stood in silence together, then she took a few steps forward and sat in order to meet the two graves in the level of her eyes. She gave a tap on each of their graves, then she was able to purse her lips together and smiled.

Her actions made him watch her and take his attention off of the graves that became the purpose of their visit. He felt his phone vibrate and pulled it our of his pocket to read a message from his secretary, informing him that a client just sent the documents that he needed for his case in his office, but she knew that the lawyer would be on leave and just kept him updated. Kyuhyun thanked her and noticed that there were a few water droplets on the screen and there would be more droplets, until they started appearing faster.

She would feel something falling on her head from time to time, but when she looked up there was nothing in view. However, shortly after, she felt something heavy being placed on her head. She looked up to see Kyuhyun placing his coat on her hair and before she could ask him why, the lawyer was already ready to state the reason.

“It started drizzling already, so here’s an easy fix.”

“Oh, tha— thank you,” she said quickly when the rain started falling from the sky. “I think we better go.” She quickly stood up and was about to remove his coat that covered her head.

He pushed it back in place when he saw her lifting it. “Leave it, I’ll be fine.”

“What? You’re already getting drenched and it’s cold.” Her arms were about to lift his coat again, but he just held it back in place.

“I’ll be fine. Besides, we’re leaving.” He swayed to the side and gave another look to his brother and sister-in-law’s graves, which was blocked by her figure. “We’ll see you some other time agin. I love you both, but please don’t come and visit me physically because I don’t know what will happen to me.”

She furrowed her brows and shook her head as she chuckled at his immaturity and turned around quickly to say her goodbye. “I’ll see you some other time, unnie and oppa, don’t forget to watch over us and I love you both forever.” She turned around to face Kyuhyun and tried to quickly remove his coat from her head to give it to him, but she was defeated.

As he held her arms to keep her coat in place on her head to protect her, he just smiled mischievously. “Let’s go,” he told her with his hand still on her arms and quickly let go of her arms to run to the car.

“CHO KYUHYUN!” Seohyun screamed at him in shock before she did the same thing and this time, she didn’t have a choice but to hold his coat over her head to keep her crown from being drenched. As soon as she got in the car, she glared at him before placing his coat over his shoulders. “You’re really gonna get yourself sick.”

He just smiled at her and shrugged. “I won’t have a problem if ever I do since you’re a doctor, right?”

“Yeah to kids, not to big immature adults like you. Let’s go home first to shower and get changed. We can’t come to work looking like this and we’re gonna get sick, especially you.”

“Alright, already on it.” As he drove he waited for the light to turn red and looked at her. “I’m actually on leave right now.”

She was surprised upon hearing this and made her turn to look at him. “Well, I guess that makes the two of us.” She chuckled as she slumped herself on her seat when a realization hit her. “Let me guess, do you also do this every year?”

He just nodded before chuckling as he grasped onto the wheel. They have been dealing with their grief separately for two years and they chatted on how they would usually spend the day in the previous years. Kyuhyun said that he would spend the day in their old school campus and just sit on their old spot, while she would be hiding at the public library and sit in the kids’ section, reminiscing the old days that he and his broter shared there since they were kids.

“Seems like we can slack off a bit today,” she told him.

“Yeah, so when we get home, we shower and get changed, then do you wanna grab lunch together?”

“Yeah sounds good.”

“Then what comes next?” He asked her without taking his eyes off the road.

“We pick our daughter up from school.”

Kyuhyun quickly looked at her, then turned his eyes back on the road.

She turned to look at him, confused with his action. “What, did I say anything? She’s our kid, remember?”

“Yeah, she’s ours.” Kyuhyun just smiled as he continued to drive.

 

 


 

 

Author's note: Sorry, had a teeny tiny bit of emergency, thus I wasn't able to post it as quickly as the previous chapters!