The veela's codex

Pound us the witch drums
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

V. The veela’s codex

(a/n: this chapter is abnormally long)

 

 

Sandara Park and Kwon Jiyong didn’t fall in love at the first sight, no.

Actually for the majority of time they had to share the school’s walls they were considered somewhat enemies. Or rather rivals.

 

Dara, the brightest witch of age and true Ravenclaw, pureblood with extended magical core.

Jiyong, the creative hothead and true Gryffindor, pureblood with extended magical core.

 

She was ambitious and he was competitive, so the possible algorithm spoke for itself.

 

And then something changed when they both finally hit puberty, but no one really knew the story behind their first date or kiss. Nonetheless once they entered the main hall hand-in-hand – that was something absolutely everyone remembered.

They stayed like that for almost three strong years, being the main, practically representative couple of Hogwarts.

But nothing was supposed to last forever, as time was an inevitable enemy.

When Dara firstly heard that Jiyong wanted to leave after the graduation to travel the world she wasn’t surprised. At some point he asked her to come along, but somehow it sounded more like a courtesy than the actual desire.

Were they falling out of love? Looked like it.

They were coming of age and slowly preparing themselves to leave the school behind after all, not to mention their views of future were suddenly too different. Additionally the traits they once found charming became nothing but an irritability.

 

He wanted the world.

She wanted a home.

 

And so he was gone, and after pretty emotionless hugs and goodbyes Dara went on with her life.

 

First weeks without Jiyong actually felt weird but eventually, they became normal.

Then few years passed and she heard that Jiyong got engaged - what also didn’t surprise her much, even when she recalled how he told her he never wanted to get married anyway. Dara knew people changed and she explained it to herself like the rationality is was, but her heart dropped a little anyway.

It was the way things just were.

At that time Dara was already working in the ministry as the ambassador of vampire affairs, successively fighting for the rights of the blood feeding kind in the magical world. Honestly, she wasn’t very devoted to the job title – even though the topic was close to her heart - or to the workplace itself, but it at least exposed her remarkable diplomatic and political skills.

Maybe her field of expertise was discussable; giving the fact that she was the brightest and the strongest witch of age - but Dara wanted to learn before entering the ministry with truly powerful experience and knowledge, in quiet plans to take over some truly important seat in the parliament later on.

Actually there was only one person really cheering for whatever Dara was doing after finishing Hogwarts, and that was Luhan – the fellow Ravenclaw, a vampire and her best friend.

Luhan was a born vampire, what meant he was aging until hitting eighteen years old and had a magical core. According to the inside hierarchy the born vampires were somewhat like pureblood families, but at that time, when Luhan was just a kid surrounded by wizards and not his own kind, no one really paid attention to that.

He was fragile, both scared and scary and thus isolated while Dara was simply curious.

 

“What’s your name?” the ten years old Dara asked, while sitting across Luhan in the Ravenclaw’s main room.

He gaped at her, truly in shock.

“L-Luhan”

“Luhan what?”

“Just Luhan…Or rather Lu Han”

“Ah…You’re Chinese?” Dara asked and he just nodded “What does your name mean?”

“Morning deer” he drifted his eyes away from her, the ghost of a smile gracing his features.

“Cool” she grinned “Well, I’m Dara…or rather Sandara, but never call me that. Dara Park”

With that she reached out to shake his hand. Luhan blinked at her opened palm for few seconds before squeezing it lightly, looking up in concern to see her reaction.

But Dara swallowed the gasp upon feeling the unbearable coldness of his skin and smiled instead, returning the grip.

 

Since then Dara and Luhan were practically inseparable during their Hogwarts years, minus the moment when Jiyong entered the scene of her life for good. But that had its little flops, too.

 

“I’m a little jealous of that cutie-vamp” Jiyong once pouted while rolling on Dara’s bed and observing her dressing up. They skipped classes again, fully enjoying the emptiness of Ravenclaw’s dorm.

“Not only he’s damn pretty but also he’s literally with you all the time” he continued, this time groaning.

Dara rolled her eyes playfully.

“And you tell me that now? After dating me for two years already?”

“Well, I saw your patronus today for the first time” his stare was serious “It’s a deer”

Dara gaped and then thought deeply, not fully realizing that ever before. Fortunately her surprised reaction was enough of a proof for Jiyong to never brought the topic in that manner again.

 

Her relationship with Jiyong didn’t cause any bigger fuss for Luhan himself, as two boys even grew to like each other. Not to mention that Luhan was already far from the shy, ostracized kid from the first year. He had a truly extravert and friendly personality.

As years went by Luhan happened to appreciate the fact of being a vampire; he was fast, could fly, walk on the walls, read minds and, just like veelas, lure people to do whatever he told them to.

Actually after graduating he went to travel the world too, but unlike Jiyong he always kept in touch just to finally announce that after few years he was on the way back home.

And so Dara felt glad, moving her eyes from the paperwork as she lastly had something to look forward to.

 

“Jiyong’s getting married in two weeks” Luhan stated at some point of their first meeting after his comeback.

“He is” Dara shrugged, coming back to her wine.

“Are you…sad?”

“I don’t…know” she answered solemnly, looking back at him.

“ Dee, we need to get you a guy” Luhan blinked his eyes, sipping on his AB positive drink while occupying the couch in her main room “You grew up too nicely to just sit in the ministry’s office”

“Are you hitting on me, Lu?” Dara winged her eyebrows teasingly and he scoffed.

“Yeah, you’re pretty but you know, mortal. Not my type”

They both laughed before she threw a cushion at his head.

 

No, vampires weren’t able to make their words come true or to charm the fate but somehow Luhan unconsciously did that, as the next day Dara met Donghae.

 

Lee Donghae worked at the ministry too, being Dara’s counterpart in the veelan affairs section. Half-veela himself, Lee Donghae was a hard-working, charming and very intelligent man, fairly new in town.

It happened that Donghae was very concerned about the usage of veelan hair in muggle medicine and here Dara could relate, as she had the same issues with vampire blood. They discussed it firstly over coffee and later that day over dinner.

And so Dara felt truly content – with Luhan back in her life and Donghae entering it she completely forgot about Jiyong’s ghost-like memories still haunting her from time to time.

The relationship with Donghae was very much different from what she knew about love so far. There weren’t any fireworks or rocky emotions but she was feeling secure and intellectually challenged. Donghae and her were more partners than sharp lovers and that was exactly what Dara was looking, or rather waiting for.

She attended the wedding with Donghae hand-in-hand and even though she knew she shouldn’t – it still felt good to see Jiyong’s shocked reaction.

A bit later Dara and Donghae decided to get married and quit their jobs to start their own political party, strongly believing that co-existing with muggles was possible but should be regulated. It was a good time for them to step the foot, as something like a haunt started again, the history be repeated.

Veelan hair, vampire blood, unicorn horns, dragon scales and more, all used by humans to expand their approach towards muggle science. Also that was the moment when both Dara and Donghae, but also Jiyong and Luhan, were crossing paths in the ministry every day.

Luhan was recruited as the first ever vampire-auror while Jiyong became the head of the Magical Spells Developing Department, what wasn’t surprising giving his natural talent for inventing charms.

Everything was pretty much ok, especially with Dara and Donghae’s party getting bigger support each day, finally serving them with the possible vision of winning the prime minister chair in the upcoming elections.

Then the attack happened.

The growing fuss between wizards and muggles, or even muggleborn wizards, was truly visible, creating riots and movements. The small group of muggleborn extremists set a bomb next to the ministry. Apparently they were targeting Donghae, being abnormally berserk about the fact that his party was successful in reducing the overall cooperation between two worlds.

There was an explosion, aiming successfully at him and some other ministers, together with Kwon Jiyong amongst them.

Fortunately Jiyong managed to act fast enough and trap the outcome in the protection shield, sending it to the cosmic infinity thanks to one of his newly invented charms.

Unfortunately, his charm not only the explosion, but Donghae too.

 

 

Sandara’s eyes shot open, her whole figure straightening from the chair as she touched her chest, panting slightly.

She really shouldn’t be taking naps now, especially since her dreams tended to be always her actual memories. With that she looked through the window, seeing the last remains of sunset.

Sandara knew what was coming so she counted to five, and then the doors flung open. She needed to focus on the future anyway, so those little reminders weren’t as bad.

“You won’t believe what I’ve found in Hogwarts!” Luhan, finally up from his sleep, laughed and even jumped in excitement “The ing werewolf found a mate!”

“Are you certain?” Sandara’s eyebrow perked “So it means he’s almost an adult now”

“Yes! And Min Yoongi! Listen carefully because this is gold!” now Luhan scooted to sit on her desk, his eyes sparkling with both insanity and anticipation as he started to clap his hands “He’s in love!”

“Oh, so we have a perfect way to activate his obscurus…Just use the lucky lady” Sandara couldn’t help but smirk at the news.

“So” Luhan grinned “Shall we start?”

 

 

MEANWHILE, HOGSMEADE

 

 

“Jennie, what the ?!” Jisoo exclaimed while her companion hid her face in hands, groaning loudly.

“I know, I know…”

Earlier that day Jennie urged her to have the lunch break together because she needed to talk. And yes, Jisoo predicted it was about Jimin but she wasn’t expecting this kind of bomb to be dropped.

So apparently Jimin was a werewolf and Jennie was his mate. What more – the bond was mutual.

Jisoo gave it a longer thought but finally decided to speak as yes, she had some experience in that exact field. Also that was what Jennie wanted to talk about since a few years ago it was a huge gossip in Hogwarts, not missing even a single tongue amongst students and probably even teachers.

Namely at some point Jisoo was involved in ‘the bond gossip’ with a year older Slytherin werewolf, Park Jinyoung.

“Jinyoung and I weren’t mates” finally Jisoo said “He only thought that for a moment”

“Really?” Jennie’s eyes suddenly shot wide with anticipation and Jisoo nodded, continuing the story.

“The Hufflepuff Quidditch team really wanted to try their new seeker but Slytherin had a training…The Hufflepuffs asked my dumb brother to cast a veela charm at the Slytherin team players so they would agree to withdraw the stadium schedule…I just happened to be around the stadium that time and I sensed what Jin was doing so I rushed to stop it…I literally jumped in the way of Jin’s lure with my own so they mingled and the outcome hit Jinyoung, who was standing the closest” Jisoo extinguished her cigarette in the ashtray “That’s why Park Jinyoung thought I’m his mate and that’s why I don’t do veelan spells…Thanks to me Jinyoung was pretty devastated over false emotions”

Jennie blinked her eyes at the news.

“But Jinyoung was so devoted to you” she retorted “I don’t think veelan lures can last so long”

“They last as long as we don’t put the end of it, unfortunately…And learning to reverse it is a pain in the ” Jisoo rolled her eyes “And besides Jinyoung wasn’t devoted to me - he was just being protective and nice, even though I obviously wasn’t returning his feelings…Then I learned how to reverse it so once I did I charmed him back and everything got back to normal”

Jennie nodded as it was true – at some point Park Jinyoung stopped interacting with Jisoo at all. So the-bond-gossip was really just the accidental veelan charm that had nothing to do with the werewolf nature.

The Slytherin recalled how veelan charms worked – firstly veelas were producing lures to make a target fully focused on them and later they were casting spells, telling targets what to do. Also that was why veelan lures were often mistakenly taken for romantic attraction.

And thus Jennie still knew nothing, the confusion filling her once again.

Jisoo smiled softly and reached for her coffee.

“Jennie, listen…Wolves are not dangerous or demanding and it’s not like Jimin will kidnap you to shut you in some cottage in the middle of nowhere, trust me. Werewolves lose control over their human side once a month - and even when they do they will never ever hurt their mates. Besides, isn’t your bond mutual?”

“It is but…ugh, I feel weird. It’s like having a crush out of the blue” the Slytherin crossed her arms “It’s odd, it’s sudden and I can’t shake off the feeling that it’s just…fake”

“Veelan and vampire lures are fake, not the werewolf bonds” Jisoo laughed “Not to mention Park Jimin isn’t the worst you could’ve get…You know – he’s nice, hot and not stupid”

At that Jennie blushed the dark shade of red and Jisoo laughed even louder, before the waiter approached them and put something on the table in front of the Ravenclaw.

It was a mint ice-cream in a waffle cup.

“But I didn’t order-“ Jisoo blinked her eyes in surprise.

“It’s from the gentleman over there” the waiter smiled and pointed at the main sidewalk “He said you’d know”

With that both Jisoo and Jennie turned around to see Namjoon, Yoongi, Hoseok and Seokjin ready to enter a shop across the street. They were busy with conversation and didn’t seem to notice the girls at all – minus Yoongi, who for a mare second caught Jisoo’s stare and smirked from behind his cigarette, before stepping on it and entering the store after the rest of the boys.

Jisoo grinned and turned back to the table, dipping her spoon in the dessert. It also looked like Jennie completely missed the small interaction.

“From your brother?” she asked, seeing it as the only rational choice from the dormmates they just saw.

“Of course” Jisoo surpassed a giggle, thanks to a mouthful of ice-cream and decided that mint was her new favorite fl

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter