Chapter 8: Trouble-Making Men

The Worth of 100 Million Won
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“Miss Jinsol, you don’t remember much of last night?”

Yongguk had left for the company a while ago and she was in the midst of finishing breakfast when Jongup decided to interrupt with a strange question…,

“Not really.” She hadn’t thought about it. 

Then, it was followed by more strange questions. At this point, she shouldn’t even be surprised but, she sure wished they weren’t asked. 

“Do you remember who picked you up after your night out with your co-workers?”

“Himchan.”

Jongup and the men shake their heads.

“Did you see the mess in your bathroom this morning?”

“There wasn’t a mess.”

“Do you remember who cleaned it up?”

What’s with all the questions? It’s hard to make sense of them. “It must have been me.”

They shake their heads.

“What–,”

“How did you get into bed, miss?” 

Well, how else? “I must have gotten myself there.”

They shake their heads once more.

She stares at them, silence filling the crowded dining hall. “Are you saying… Yongguk did it all?”

For the first time this whole morning, they nod their heads. 

Oh… bits and pieces of her memories come flooding back like a movie. 


***

“Hey, Jinsol.”

Hearing Yongsun, she peeks over the divider to see that the young woman is still wearing the effects of last night on her face. The morning hasn’t been treating her as kind. How is she planning to work in that state?

“I don’t know if I saw or remember correctly…,” she mutters with her fingers massaging the side of her head. “I think you introduced me to someone named Yongguk last night.”

Jinsol stiffens. She lets out a chuckle, filled with uncertainty. “Did I?”

“Are you dating someone?”

“No.” She’s technically not lying. 

Since Yongsun isn’t feeling so well, she decides to stop her questioning for the day to Jinsol’s relief. 

***

The following days, Jinsol realizes she hasn’t been able to see Yongguk much. In fact, he was gone before she woke up in the morning for work and came home when she had long gone to bed. They hadn’t met up for breakfast or dinner either. It was almost as if… it was done on purpose.

“Do you think boss is avoiding you?”

“What?” She looks up from her phone upon hearing the question from Jongup. What is up with him? She can’t decide if he’s a troublemaker or if he’s really just observant. 

A few of the men are scattered around the room. From the looks of it, they’re also interested to know. 

“Since you didn’t remember that night?” he points out. 

She scoffs but, can’t hide the fact that his question is only fueling her peculiar unease. “It’s not even a big deal. Why are you so concerned?”

They merely shrug. 

Though she says it, they’re not allowing her to believe it. 

Lost in thought, she no longer pays any attention to her phone. Instead, her eyes land on the TV and the channel that is currently playing on the screen. 

This is great. 

Let’s focus on the ongoing scandal. Yes, she’s definitely interested in… OHMW company and its antics. “Do you guys see this?”

“Really, Miss Jinsol?”

“No, look. They’re in the midst of recovering from a tax evasion incident from a few months back.”

“You’ve never even heard of the company,” Jongup accuses.

“Of course, I’ve heard of OMMW company.”

“It’s OHMW company, miss.”

“Why are there so many letters?” she mumbles to herself. “They still owe quite a bit–,”

“You’re just reading the headline on the TV.”

She whips her head around and scowls at Jongup. Must he continue this? Can’t he let her live?

The noise in the background completely disappears and along with the other men in the room, Jongup shoots straight up to bow. That reaction can only be spurred by…,

Looking up and next to her, she finds Yongguk setting the remote control back down on the couch once he shuts off the TV and ending any talk about OHMW company. When did he come in? She obviously wasn’t the only one who didn’t notice since Jongup would have actually gone to welcome Yongguk once he was home.

“Hey, Yongguk,” she greets him. 

“Are you tired?”

How strange. They haven’t seen each other for days and unlike what the men are saying, he didn’t appear to be acting differently. Unknowingly, her unease dissipates. 

“Not at all.”

“Get dressed.”

***

“The movies?”

It’s been so long since she’s been to the movies. 

“Do you not like it?”

A small smile breaks across her face. “I didn’t say that.”

Finding their seats, Yongguk settles the popcorn in between the two. Excited with the surprise, she forgets to ask what movie they’re watching. Upon seeing the title, a bad feeling appears at the pit of her stomach. 

“Oh no,” she breathes out. 

“What?” 

“This movie is going to make me cry.” The trailer brought her eyes watering, she can’t imagine what kind of damage the entire film would do. 

A soft chuckle leaves Yongguk. “Then… just, cry.”

***

Yongguk sneaks a peek in her direction as the credits begin to roll.

“That’s impressive. You held it in well,” he comments with a small quirk of his lips. 

“Why did you pick such a sad movie?”

“Did you not enjoy it?”

“I loved it.”

Her response brings him grinning. Standing to his feet first, he helps her up and they leave with the rest of the crowd. Entering the night air, Yongguk offers his hand, not quite expecting her to take it. But, she exceeds his expectations. 

She slips her hand into his willingly as they head towards the car. He takes the moment to have a look at the bandaged hand. 

“How is it now?”

“I don’t even need the bandage but, Himchan insists.” 

“I’ll ask him to pick up some creams–,”

“What for? I’m not going to use it,” she mutters before deciding to switch the topic. “Where have you been, Yongguk?”

His smile said more than his words did. “I’ve been trying to get ahead.”

Get ahead in work? “What for?”

Yongguk never gets flustered. He actually never hesitates and just then, he pauses before answering, “Do you want to go on a vacation?”

Surpri

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter