Chapter 4: Omission is Still Lying

The Worth of 100 Million Won
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

For the seventh morning in a row since entering the new home, Jinsol is told once more that the meeting between her and their boss will be for another day. To cheer her up, she is greeted with a dining table full of hot and fresh breakfast food ready for her to devour before heading to work.

She takes her seat first as the rest follows without her pressing. 

“I was definitely looked into, huh?”

The various faces pause in their eating and offer her their attention. 

“All this food,” she glances over and motions at the plates, “they’re my favorites.” That couldn’t be mere coincidence, right? “Actually, the room I stay in, shampoo, lotion… everything is in my taste.”

She didn’t have a single complaint even if she tried to look for one.

“It’s to make you feel at home, Miss Jinsol,” someone answers. “Since, you’ll be living here from now on.”

She reaches for her glass of orange juice and brings it up to her lips. “Who said gang members are scary?”

***

Gang members aren’t scary… but, you know who is?

“Jinsol, he’s coming!” Yongsun hisses from the other side of the divider and Jinsol immediately ducks her head. She’s thankful for the warning but, nothing will save her at this point. Eventually, she’ll be forced to face him one way or another. 

But, she did hope that he wouldn’t look for her so soon. 

So, maybe if her face is firmly planted on the surface of her desk, the person she’s hiding from wouldn’t notice her–,

“I’m insulted.”

The voice appears from above her and she closes her eyes in resignation. How desperate was she to think that something like this would work? 

“Were you even trying?” he asks once more as Jinsol forces her head up to look at him.

“Of course, not,” she says with a chuckle. “Why would I hide from you, Youngjae?”

“I didn’t say anything about hiding.”

She presses her lips together and decides to switch the topic. “Are you here for the project?” 

She can’t believe the company’s moderate form of punishment is to be partnered up with Yoo Youngjae to complete a project. It’s certainly cruel and unusual. It probably explains why this floor’s productivity has been sky-high. Youngjae is a huge motivating factor when Mr. Jung uses him as a threat. The guy made his last partner cry because she didn’t use the right font for their presentation. Apparently, no one takes you seriously if you use Comic Sans and her response was she only wanted to make it fun. It obviously didn’t go over well with Mister Uptight as anyone would have guessed.

“Look, the project needs to be completed by next Friday. I think it’s better to get started now to finish it sooner.”

“Youngjae, do you even know what the project is?”

“Of course, I’ve looked into it. Mr. Jung wants us to analyze the new codes for system safety we’re developing.”

“So, how soon did you want to finish this?”

“By the end of this week.”

She gaped in disbelief. “You mean, a week early? That’s impossible.” Why else would Mr. Jung give them a whole two weeks?

“It’s possible. Meet me in the conference room after lunch to discuss how we’re going to divide the work up.”

With that, he walks away.

Jinsol clenches her hand into a fist. She wanted to hit him so bad. 

“Mr. Jung really wanted you to learn your lesson, didn’t he?” Yongsun asks. 

“It’s more than that.” He found the perfect scapegoat. 

***

During lunch, Jinsol prays the 30 minutes wouldn’t pass so quickly. As always, she finishes her lunch within five minutes and spends the rest of her time strolling alongside the large windows that face the streets down below. With a small container of banana milk in her hand and the straw between her teeth, she watches the happenings outside. 

The company is located in a busy district surrounded by high-end shopping stores and restaurants. She can admit that there were moments where she did envy the women who would visit the stores because they can afford it.

Giggling as they hand over wads of cash that she could only dream of having. She always comforted herself that it wouldn’t be this lifetime. Maybe the next if the higher being felt pity for her.

But, how wrong she was. 

Now that she is in such a situation, she’s going to milk this new husband of hers for everything that he has–,

A sudden alarm causes her to flinch, nearly dropping her banana milk. 

Looking around, she wonders if it’s just a drill. 

But, by the sound of footsteps rushing out of the break room, she can assume that it must be the real deal. Yongsun manages to capture her attention and waves for her.

“Jinsol, let’s go. Everyone is exiting the building.”

She hurries to walk alongside Yongsun with the banana milk still in the safety of her grips. Calmly following the other workers down the stairs and out through the front entrance of the company building, Jinsol finds the firetrucks arriving just in time with their loud sirens. 

“Maybe someone forgot a fork in the microwave,” Yongsun jokes quietly beside her. 

“No one is absentminded like you,” Jinsol comments, earning her a playful glare from the young woman.

Jinsol looks down at her watch, finding that this is dragging on much longer than she expected. It’s cutting into her meeting time with Youngjae. 

Perfect. 

“Alright, everyone,” Mr. Jung calls out from the front of the group. “Looks like there was actual fire damage. Everyone can head home and wait for an e-mail to discuss the plan for tomorrow.”

The others around her try to hush their cheers and Jinsol tries to hide the smile from breaking across her face. She was happy for another reason. This is even better. It seems God is on her side, after all. 

“Yes, sir!”

***

“Miss Jinsol, I was surprised by your call,” Himchan says when she slips into the car.

“Yeah, no one anticipated the fire.” Not like something like that could be.

“Are you okay?”

She chuckles. “Yes, I am. No

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter