Chapter 3: Sweet Bonding Time

The Worth of 100 Million Won
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Jinsol couldn’t exactly get anything done. Not when her eyes would drift towards her boss’ office every once and a while. She couldn’t help her mind from wondering about what is transpiring behind the closed door. She thought the surprises would calm down after receiving the ultimate one– her marriage. 

“Jinsol,” Yongsun whispers. 

She looks back and gives her coworker her attention. “Yeah?”

“Why are you so distracted?”

“I guess I’m still not feeling well,” she answers.

“Are you hungry? I’ll get you something from the vending machine.”

“No, I’m fine.” Dipping her head down, she tries her best to focus on her work. She didn’t want to have to stay overtime to complete assignments that she could normally finish in a few hours. 

Slowly, the people around her begin to get up for their break. Yongsun included. 

“Jinsol, you coming?” Yongsun asks once she stands up to grab her blazer off the back of her chair. 

“I’ll eat at my desk. I have a lot of work to catch up on.”

Her coworker doesn’t question her further and leaves for her break. Peeking up over the dividers, Jinsol sees that not many people stuck around. Maybe the emptiness will finally encourage her to get to work. 

That was until the door to her boss’ office opens and she easily gives into her desire to pry. She peeks over her shoulder to find Yongguk walking out after shaking Mr. Jung’s hand. Yongguk’s own secretary follows after him. Heading in her direction, their eyes meet for a moment. 

Thinking he would just walk by her, she’s surprised to find him stopping right at her desk.

“Ms. Yoo, go on ahead. I’ll be right there,” he says to his secretary.

She bows slightly before following his orders. 

With his hands in his pockets, he casually turns and looks down at Jinsol. “So, you work here?”

“I do,” she answers curtly.

Looking up at him, she can’t tell what his expression means.

“But, something tells me you already knew,” she adds. If her background was investigated, she’s certain her place of employment didn’t get missed. “Are you here for me?”

His lips form a small smile. “Just a coincidence.”

“I’m sure,” she responds before going back to work. 

He leans over, successfully stealing her attention once more. She turns her head faintly to see him. “Himchan will pick you up,” he reveals softly. 

“He told me as much.” But, why does Yongguk have to be kept updated about her whereabouts? 

He nods his head before resuming to his original intention of leaving. She watches him disappear around the corner and some movement from her right causes her to snap her head back. 

“Hey, Byulyi,” she calls out in a hushed voice and manages to grab the secretary’s attention. 

The girl in question slides closer to hear what Jinsol had to say. 

“Who was that just now?”

“Bang Yongguk of BJM Industrials.”

Should she know that name?

“One of the biggest companies in Seoul?” she adds, hoping that would ring a bell for Jinsol. When it seems like that doesn’t work, Byulyi explains, “They assist companies in developing processes that save money. Our company develops computer systems and there are talks to have them help us create a more efficient way in handling our research to conserve expenses.”

“Sure.”

Byulyi sighs. “How could a smart person be so slow?”

The secretary walks away and Jinsol ignores the harmless insult. Who cares? She’s more focused on the fact that the company is such a good cover-up for Yongguk’s family. 

***

Yawning, she blinks away the tears forming in her eyes as Himchan pulls up to the front entrance. She couldn’t really tell it was him in the dark of the night but, it definitely helped when he rolled down the window. Sliding into the passenger seat, she slips her seatbelt on and comfortably sinks into the cushion. 

“How was your day, miss?”

“Busy,” she responds. “How come you have to drop me off and pick me up to go back to the house?” 

“Boss insisted we do from now on.”

She leans forward as a realization comes over her. “Ah, are rival gangs out to get me? I’m considered Yongguk’s father’s weakness now, right? I thought that only happened in dramas,” she jokes.

Himchan pauses for a moment before recovering. “Your imagination is amazing, miss.”

She smiles at his comment. 

A little more into the drive, Jinsol realizes that this isn’t the way back to the house. “Himchan… where are we going?” Is it time? Is she meeting her new husband?

He takes a turn and she recognizes the next street. The sidewalks are crowded with people who are still out and about to enjoy the night activities. Her original assumption becomes unlike

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter