Chapter 5: Rule-Breaker

The Worth of 100 Million Won
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

This morning, she gets an e-mail from Byulyi notifying everyone to come to work. There was never any doubt in Jinsol’s mind that they would have to report for their shift. Fire damage is nothing to workaholic Mr. Jung. 

Really, how unfortunate that is. 

“Miss Jinsol! Breakfast is ready.”

She makes her way down the stairs and looks over the railing, expecting the same set up from the past week. Except this time, Yongguk is sitting there in one of the chairs after coming out of hiding now that the joke is ruined with her knowledge of it. He doesn’t look up at her but instead, sips on his cup of coffee casually.

And, she isn’t impressed. 

Walking by the table, she grabs a piece of toast off of it and heads to the door. “Okay, all done.”

“That’s it, Miss Jinsol?” Himchan asks. 

She nods. 

“Miss Jinsol, you normally eat more than that,” one of the men say.

“And, fast too,” Another adds.

“Well, not today, folks.” God, she expected them to be on Yongguk’s side but, they just blatantly threw her under the bus. 

Himchan looks to Yongguk but, when their precious boss says nothing, he follows after her. “I’ll go start the car then.”

***

“Do you plan on leaving, Miss Jinsol?” Himchan breaks his silence and asks. 

Himchan rarely starts conversations and that is the question he has when he does? “How can I leave?” She sighs. “I haven’t forgotten the threats.” She also didn’t have 100 million won to pay Yongguk back.

“Then, why did you not speak to boss this morning?” 

“I didn’t have anything to say.”

“He purposely went to work late this morning to have breakfast with you.”

Was she supposed to be touched? “What a brat. No one told him to.”

“Brat?”

“It’s been ten years and it feels as though he hasn’t matured at all.” She turns in Himchan’s direction. “You know, when he was itty bitty Yongguk, he never left me alone. He was always bullied and I had to step in to help him. Have you ever heard those stories?”

“I can’t imagine that…,” Himchan finds it hard to even consider the possibility. 

“He’s only putting on a cool front now,” she says to convince him. “He used to run to me in tears and I would have to go beat up the kids that picked on him.”

Chuckles suddenly slipped through Himchan’s lips. 

“You probably think I’m exaggerating but, I swear.” She places her hand up to demonstrate her honesty. “Every word I just said, none of it is a lie.”

***

“We lost a day of preparation.”

Was he really that devastated? Jinsol wonders to herself. “What do you suggest?” she asked but, she was completely unmotivated to get started. Ugh, the dread.

“We should work through lunch.”

Is he serious? She knows that she eats quickly but, sacrificing her break time would never be an option and especially not for Yoo Youngjae.

But, she didn’t have a choice and it’s probably not best to get into an argument with him. “Fine.”

When he walks away from her desk, she could see the look of pity on Yongsun’s face. 

“What can you do?” she sadly says.

Nothing, it seems.

Because, break time proved to not be enough for Mister Uptight and he insisted to meet after work hours. As much as she would like the overtime pay, she really didn’t want to spend it with him. 

“Hey, Himchan, can you pick me up later?” she says into her cellphone.

“Later?” 

“I actually have to work on a project until late tonight.”

“I see. How does 9 sound?”

“It sounds fine to me but, I don’t know how he’ll take it.”

“He?”

“Oh, whatever. I’ll see you then.” She decides Youngjae will live. 

Ending the phone call, Jinsol walks back towards the conference room and finds Youngjae at the table all by himself. Before she could gather herself, he was already spitting out orders. She finds it’s best to just stay silent and go along with it– whatever that will let her leave and finish this damn project. 

A few hours later, they managed to get nearly half of it done. Which was a surprise. Jinsol was notorious for her never-ending procrastination but, maybe pairing it up with someone extremely proactive canceled it out entirely. 

Staring down at the work, she had a hard time believing it. She sighs and Youngjae stands to his feet then. 

“Do you want anything to drink?”

She shakes her head and taking her answer, he walks away. 

With the moment of silence, Jinsol sets her head down on the desk once the fatigue catches up to her. She hadn’t eaten much of anything all day and that explains the lack of energy. Well, and the sleepless night she had. 

She didn’t realize she had closed her eyes and fallen asleep until a small gentle shake of her shoulders causes her eyes to snap open. Sitting up in a start, she looks up to find Himchan.

“Miss Jinsol, it’s time to leave,” he says.

“I answered your phone since none of the ten calls woke you up.”

Jinsol looks in front of her to see Youngjae still sitting across from her and with his arms crossed upon his chest. Still letting the situation settle in, Jinsol is slow to move. So, Himchan starts organizing her things for her.

“I can do it,” she says before taking over. “Sorry, Youngjae.” She didn’t actually think she would fall asleep. She only wanted to rest her eyes for a couple of seconds. 

He doesn’t respond but, it’s not hard to notice the look of judgment he’s shooting in her direction. 

“Are you ready, Miss Jinsol?”

“Yeah.” She walks away first with Himchan on her heels. “Hey, Himchan.”

“Yes, Miss Jinsol?”

“Today, it was my fault for falling asleep so you had to come up but, when we’re with other people,” she says while spinning around to meet him face to face, “let’s not address me as Miss Jinsol. Jinsol is fine.”

She didn’t want that going around, leading to questions that she didn’t want to answer.

“I understand.”

***

Himchan opens the front door and shows Jinsol her way in first. 

And, Yongguk is the first person to fall in her line of sight. He was sitting on the couch, still in his suit, his leg crossed over the other, and with a phone in his hand. He has been showing up more often now.

Without a word, she heads towards the stairs.

“Stay right there,” he orders from his seat. 

Like hell she would. So, she continues walking forward but, Himchan takes it upon himself to grab onto her jacket in order to forcibly stop her in her tracks. Yongguk gets up from the couch and walks over. Himchan sends a small bow before taking his leave so the two can have some privacy. 

“Even if you’re mad at me, you should eat,” he breaks the silence.

“I’m not mad,” she answers defiantly while looking up at him.

“Then, what do you call this?” 

“It doesn’t seem like you wanted to talk to me so, I’m giving you space.”

“I didn’t ask for space.” 

“Okay, then,” she answers with a shrug and spins around. Yet, she couldn’t take one step before Yongguk gently pulls her back in front of him.

“I’m not a fan of passive-aggressiveness.”

She couldn’t exactly deny his words so, she remains silent. 

“I’m sorry,” he says after a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter