For a while: endure!

Live!Man...

"Sungkyu! Sungkyu!"
 

Sungkyu was drowsy: he slowly raised his eyes to see who was calling his name. It was Woohyun. He had a seizure and was now wrapped in Woohyun's arms. Woohyun gingerly wiped away the remaining tears that trickled down Sungkyu's cheek and said in a hushed, comforting voice, "It's okay, Sungkyu. It's okay."

 Heavy rain had begun to fall. That's all Sungkyu could really hear, the cathartic sound of rain clashing against the roof and the window of their room.

Sungkyu slowly started to get up, white scarf in hand, and Woohyun noticed Sungkyu staring all over the place. He desperately hoped all those terrible visions and illusory phantoms had stopped troubling Sungkyu.

 "Im...I'm good!"

Sungkyu had no real recollection of what he had been through, of the hallucinations that attacked him during the last day. He just had a feeling that he had been through some type of pain.

 "You're really fine?"

 Sungkyu's narrow eyes almost disappeared as he smiled. He held up the scarf in his hand, "Thank you so much for this...I...this is the scarf Nayeon gave me for Christmas."

 Woohyun swallowed his spit, he knew he had to lie, "Yeah...seems like Jaejoong found it and dropped it off. He said you might need it..."

 Sungkyu maintained a smile full of bliss, "That Jaejoong is a good friend!" Sungkyu tied the scarf around his neck and lied on his cot: playing with a loose strand that dangled at the corner of it. He kept staring at it without stop.

Woohyun was now seating in his desk chair, entranced by the sight of Sungkyu fiddling with the scarf. "Hey, Sungkyu?"

 Sungkyu turned to look at him, "Yeah?"

He was curious about it, "Can I take a look at it?"

 Sungkyu smiled and removed it. He tossed it over, but then something unexpected happened. Sungkyu was filled with the visions of gore and carnage again; he saw his hands drenched in blood and heard malicious whispers say, "Die! Kill yourself!" He dropped to his knees, covering his ears with his hands, and yelled for help.

"Nayeon! God?! Save me!"

 Woohyun was stuck in a standstill. He looked at the scarf and questioned, "Could this be the only thing that keeps him sane?" He bit the inside of his lip, clenched the scarf in his hand, and began to ask "Why?" He then rushed to Sungkyu's side, unfurled his hand off his ear and placed the scarf in it.

Sungkyu became silent. He took deep breaths, gaining back his composure. "I'm...what happened?"

 Woohyun did his best to maintain his own composure, forcing a smile at Sungkyu, "It's okay. You're fine now."

Sungkyu wound the scarf around his neck again and asked with a whimsical voice, "Where's... breakfast? I'm hungry..." His stomach growled, prompting Woohyun to chuckle a little.

 "Hold on, I'll go buy some food," Woohyun pulled the curtain a smidge and stared outside, "It seems like the rain stopped just now. I'll be back then, but stay put," his gaze drifted to the scarf on Sungkyu's neck, he pointed at it, "make sure to keep that on. Don't want you to catch a cold!"

Woohyun slipped into a rather gaudy yellow raincoat and made his way outside. As he walked, all he could do was stare at the patches of blue sky that were poking out from the surrounding rain clouds. He was pensive. Then he nearly slipped, but caught himself by hanging onto a nearby street lamp. He chuckled a little at his own clumsiness. Before he knew it, he was at the Mexican market a few blocks away from the church, and there he bought half a dozen tamales. 

When he stepped back into the church, he was welcomed by Sungkyu who was anxiously  waiting for food, "I made some coffee already! Let's go!" He grasped Woohyun's wet hand and dragged him to their room, leaving a wet trail behind them.

 

After eating, the two watched a movie together and nightfall would arrive without hiccups. But Sunkyu transformed again that night... the scarf surprisingly stayed wound around his neck despite the change he went through.

Sungkyu took the lead and waited for Woohyun at the Los Angeles Zoo, quite a distance from Boyle Heights.

As Woohyun drove, thoughts ranging from "Will Sungkyu go berserk again?" , "What happens if I'm too late?" to "What happens if the scarf loosens off his neck and flies off in battle?" inundated his mind.

Woohyun pulled on the throttle and sped off for the zoo, ignoring all the speed limit signs that crossed his way.

Woohyun finally reached the zoo after what seemed like an eternity to him, and was surprised to see Sungkyu standing, waiting, outside the entrance. Woohyun got off his bike, removed his helmet, and ran to meet Sungkyu.

 "It's strange," he told Woohyun with an almost disturbed tone.

 "What do you mean?" Woohyun looked around and could clearly see a fog that enveloped the zoo. "The fallen angel's-"

 Sungkyu cut in, "Devilchildren."

 "What?" Woohyun squinted his eyes at Sungkyu.

 "I thought we were calling them Devilchildren. I like the term I came up with."

 Woohyun was taken aback by Sungkyu's insistence on the particular term he had coined, but was altogether relieved to see Sungkyu had been able to keep his emotions in check. Past Sungkyu, by this time, would've already tortured and decapitated the fallen angel.

Woohyun shook his head and asked, "What's strange?"

 Sungkyu pointed to a large tree that poked out of the zoo. Woohyun narrowed his eyes to see what Sungkyu pointed at. He took a step backwards as he quietly mouthed, "No..."

 It was a fallen angel that was seating atop the tree, he was resting his chin in his hand and seemed as though it was admiring whatever it was staring at down below.

 "He's been like that ever since I arrived. He just rolled his eyes at me when I came and gestured with his hand as if to say, 'Not now, I'm busy'"

 "Did you point the axe at him and try to seal him."

 Sungkyu scratched his scaly head, "That's what weird- it didn't work. My guess is that I have to weaken-"

Woohyun had been rubbing his chin the whole time, "like Pokemon!" he remarked.

 "Yeah..."

 Woohyun crossed his arms and tensed his brows, "How do you plan on attacking him?"

 A distinct grumble escaped Sungkyu, "I don't want to do it the way I've been doing it up till now." He had mulled over the thought of extreme violence being inexcusable, especially with the scarf, a precious memento on him. He dropped the axe that was strapped to his back, "I think Imma just use my hands and feet to attack."

Hearing Sungkyu's heartfelt confession to administer a more "peaceful" attack plan caused Woohyun to sigh a sigh of relief, as though those were the words he wanted to hear the most.

 "That's good!"

 "But hey, do you think this angel might have just come to look at the hippos and stuff?"

 Woohyun replied with a voice audibly mingled with concern and doubt, "I mean, I hope so...maybe this one might be peaceful."

 "I'll go talk to it!"

 Sungkyu took some steps forward and Woohyun followed him with much caution. Sungkyu picked up a small rock and threw it at the angel, accidentally striking him on the cheek.

 "You cur!" the angel shouted with much anger.

 "I'm sorry!" Sungkyu pleaded with his hands together in an apologetic gesture.

 "Are you for peace?" Woohyun asked with firm voice.

 The angel flicked his golden hair behind his shoulder. He spoke with an arrogant tone, "If so? If not? What is it you desire?"

"So...are...you-"

 "Are you going to kill anyone?" Sungkyu interrupted.

 "Kill? We judge; our business is not of your own." the angel cast his vision down in an almost sorrowful manner, "You men know not of truth."

 "What do you mean?"

 Woohyun turned to look at Sungkyu.

Sungkyu continued, "What truth?"
 

The angel signaled with his hand for Sungkyu and Woohyun to sit with him. Woohyun swallowed his spit and let Sungkyu carry him to sit by the angel.

 "You see there?" the angel pointed at a man (the zoo's guard) that was in the premise, "he is an idolater. He worships beasts, rather than the Almighty. These animals breathe and die, too, yet this one worships them?" The angel spoke with a wistful tone, "Hear, the learnt lesson in regards to man's fallen estate, the truth is toothless, mere babes, unable to chew meat. Two-faced, loving the yetzer ha-ra, scorning the yetzer ha-tov. Ruthless, in their thoughts, making themselves as gods. A crude taste: They were created and abode in an epic, lofty estate, yet they fell to the dung of cows. They are a moot case... "

 "What?"
 

"Men are evil, there is only evil continually in their hearts: from out of the womb, to the mouth of Sheol. Give me reasoning against this."

 The two could not answer a word at first, they tried to think of something but could not settle on an ideal response. The two knew of how evil mankind could be and sought to appeal to certain merits, but every time they spoke in favor of man, the angel retorted with a counter.

The angel jumped down, in front of the guard, "It's time for judgement!" he shot with his eyes directed at Sungkyu and Woohyun. 

Sungkyu grabbed Woohyun and jumped down with him. Sungkyu rushed to the guard, pulling him behind him and urging him to run.

The guard wouldn't move, however. The guard was too astonished at the sight before him. He fell to his bottom and simply gazed at the two beings before him, Sungkyu and the angel.

The angel yawned, and then spoke in an almost apathetic, bored tone "You know, I was not going to kill him-"

 Sungkyu was bewildered by the angel's words, but he still braced himself for the worst.

The angel directed his sight at the guard, "Do you, perhaps want to listen to the lion speak?"

 The guard was hesitant, questioning whether it was an actual angel speaking because of the way he looked like and because of a glow it carried.

 "Yes or no? Don't you love them to the point of leaving your family?"

 "Yes!" the guard replied as he clung onto the angel's legs, "My wife, my children don't understand the beauty of these creatures! " he scoffed, "they are too blind! They know nothing! That's why I had to leave them! Because they did not understand the love I have," he hugged himself and inhaled deeply, "for these lions. I've followed them their whole lives you see, from birth until now. Humans are dirty and ungrateful! But these...they're majestic and godly!"
 

Sungkyu was silent. Woohyun, standing a bit off in the distance, was unnerved by the guard's answer.

 "Take me to the lion's den," the angel told the guard.

 The guard pointed at Sungkyu, "Is he...an undiscovered animal? An evolutionary offshoot of man, but better?"

 The angel laughed a little, "Why? If you believe!"

 The guard threw himself at Sungkyu and began admiring his body. Sungkyu gently pulled himself away, puzzled by the guard's actions.

 "Oh, right! The lions!" The guard exclaimed as he scuttled along to show them the way to the lion exhibit.

 Now in front the exhibit, the angel waved his hand at the sleeping lions and commanded, "Speak to this man!"

 The guard pressed his face against the see-through barrier, hoping to hear the lions speak with much praise and endearment toward him. One by one the lions gathered in front of the barrier. 

A male lion with a great mane spoke, "I love you-"

 The guard shed tears of joy to know how his feelings had been reciprocated.

The angel touched the barrier, and for an instant the barrier disappeared, allowing the one lion to step out. The lion roared, frightening the guard. Sungkyu had a premonition the lion would devour the guard so he charged toward the lion.

 "Enough to eat you!" the lion spoke with a thunderous voice.

 Sungkyu  made it in time! He held the lion's great mouth open and yelled for the guard to leave. Sungkyu felt an evil, demonic air flow from the lion. He took a good look and saw its eyes turn a blood red, it's whole skin had turned black and it had grown twice it's size. "It's a demon, you have to kill it!" Woohyun shouted at Sungkyu. Sungkyu, in a great feat of strength, tore apart the demo-lion's jaw, decisively killing it. The other lions retreated to the back of the exhibit, while Woohyun ran to retrieve the axe of Moses that Sungkyu dropped outside the entrance.

 "I told you," the angel wickedly laughed, "I would not kill him. Let the idol fall upon it's worshiper!" the angel ran to the guard and held out a small dagger, "but, I guess I must kill now!" He scoffed, "Stupid demon I planted failed!"

 "No!" Sungkyu was frozen for a brief moment, but he snapped back to reality as the scarf made it into his field of view. Sungkyu dashed in the angel's direction.

The angel smiled and, up for the challenge, threw the guard aside and waited for Sungkyu's attack.

Woohyun, in the meanwhile, had come back with the axe of Moses in hand. He had gashed his knee while climbing down the tree to scale the zoo's entrance in order to retrieve the axe, but the sting of pain was not enough to distract him from seeing that Sungkyu had engaged in combat. He was hoping Sungkyu would not fall to anger.

The guard was cowering and whimpering under a bench that lay near the combat zone, Woohyun noticed and did his best to run to him without making himself a liability to Sungkyu.

Sungkyu saw Woohyun with the guard, "Go back to your home! To your family!" Sungkyu yelled as he evaded a strike.

The guard nodded and ran with Woohyun leading the way to the exit. "Thank you, I won't tell anyone about you!" he shouted as he ran.

The angel came and stopped him from leaving, "The man must die!"

But Sungkyu tackled the angel down, opening the way of escape for the guard and Woohyun. The angel got up, took out his dagger from his sash and aimed for Sungkyu. Sungkyu was scarcely getting up, he didn't have enough time to react to the dagger strike.

 Sungkyu shouted a swear word as the dagger grazed his leg.

 "Ooh, a man of unclean lips," the angel taunted. He scolded Sungkyu, "You fool! Don't you know that we are sons of God? Yet you bring unclean words into my ear!"

 Sungkyu distanced himself and spoke with a firm voice, "You are not! You are sons of the devil!"

 The angel spoke with a haughty, mocking tone, "You do know that one is a fallen angel too, correct? How could I be birthed from my own brother. Only humans commit such grave sin."

 Sungkyu began clenching his fists in anger, his talons pierced his skin allowing blood to run down and slowly drip to the ground with a wet sound. Sungkyu peered at the small pool of blood that had gathered, an act that caused him to notice the white scarf that was dangling from his neck. He took a deep breath, not wanting anger to devour him. He regained his focus and was resolute to stop his enemies.

Sungkyu charged at the angel and unleashed a barrage of punches. One of them caught the angel on the cheek.

The angel backed off and wiped the blood off with his finger, "I will kill you for this..."

 Sungkyu pressed on and continued to launch blow after blow at the angel. But the angel was not going down so easily. He noticed Woohyun come back from the corner of his eye. A smile emerged from the angel: he dashed over toward Woohyun. 

 "No!" Sungkyu cried out.

 The angel had Woohyun in his arms and began to smell him, "A well-pleasing aroma, you'll make a nice sacrifice."

 Woohyun was scared, he really thought he was going to die, but then remembered he was still holding the axe. He did his best and was successful: he swung backwards and managed to graze the angel's heel. 

The angel shoved Woohyun aside to carefully look at his wound, "I will definitely kill you both now!"

 Sungkyu shot an explosive running single-leg dropkick at the angel's face and rejoiced after seeing the angel was now immobile. He gestured for Woohyun to hand over the axe.

 "Why do you kill?"

The angel coughed up some blood, "It seems you broke my neck," he laughed.

Sungkyu quietly groaned, disappointed by the violent result.

 "Tell me now, holy warrior. If you had a loving father that cast off his marvelous family for the sake of mere bugs, cretins- what would you do? Seethe with rage? Accept the father's folly? Or rather, take back your standing? "

Sungkyu kneeled in front of the angel, "Are you-"

 "Or maybe, I- we just love to hate you filthy animals? Or better yet, our acts are an affront to the Holy One!"

Woohyun kept his distance, having a stupified look as a result of the angel's words.

 "It's such a tiring act, though! But, alas, we the few fallen will reclaim that which you humans stole away!"

 Sungkyu kept asking, curious to know more, "Who's your leader, Satan?"

 "No, that one awaits his own time! I said too much!"

 Sungkyu grasped the angel's neck, albeit loosely, "Who then!"

 "The real Mashiach."

 "What?!"

 The angel smirked, "You'll find out soon enough."

 Sungkyu kept asking questions, but the angel refused to answer, so Sungkyu finally decided to seal the angel after a short while.