Adamant Hearts

Live!Man...

Later that year on November 1...


Sungkyu placed the cold towel on Mina's forehead, "Where did you say the medicine was?"

 Mina delicately pointed to the drawer at the corner of the room, "it should be in there," she said with a weak voice.

 Sungkyu clicked his tongue, "I'm sorry you're doing the movie," he brushed her hair away from her eyes, "I didn't know it was this exhausting."

 Mina smiled, "it's alright."

 Sungkyu frowned at her pained face and went to retrieve the medicine. He sat her up against the bed frame and placed the round pill in . "Here," he said as he held the glass of water near her lips.

 "Thanks," she said after drinking a little. She laid back down and covered herself.

 Sungkyu sat on her bed and held her hand, "It's okay if you want to quit- I'm sure the director will understand."

 "I can't! There's only a week or two left for filming..."

Sungkyu rubbed her tender knuckles before kissing her forehead, "I love you."

 She had fallen asleep.

Sungkyu held her hand and rubbed his cheek against it, "it's too hot," he remarked with a frown. "When will it be the fever's end?"

 He did his best to not make a noise as he stood up. He noticed all the medicine had run out so he intended to buy some more from the pharmacy two blocks away, but he was stopped by Mina, whose delicate hand cleaved to the end of his sleeve.

 "Don't go!"

 Sungkyu gave a fond smile at her, "I'll be back quick, " he took a few steps toward the door,  "You think you'll be able to eat something later on? I could buy some stuffs at the store for you."

 She sat up again, "Don't go," she coughed, afterward patting the space beside her, "stay here."

  "But your medicine..."

 "All I need is you."

 Sungkyu tilted his head in adoration of her loveliness, "I'll be back real quick. Just go back to sleep."

 He took another step. "But you said you loved me!" Mina exclaimed.

 He stopped in his tracks and turned around, "I won't take long, I promise!"

 Mina laid herself back down. "Promise not to cheat!"

 "I promise," Sungkyu replied as he made his way out her room.

 

 The air was cold outside, Sungkyu reached his hand deep inside his pocket and waited for the light to change.

 "Maybe I should ask Woohyun for his bike if he's not using it," he mused, "I mean, I don't think it's baby-safe. Plus Sooyoung will kill him if he gets into an accident!"

 Sungkyu grinned from ear to ear and gazed heavenward, "I can't believe it all!" Then he laughed as he remembered he can't actually drive because of his missing hand.

He saw the person beside him walk forward, so he guessed the light had changed. His breath was stolen as he stared straight ahead. He couldn't move an inch although everyone else was moving.

He couldn't breathe.

From the other side of the street, in between a small crowd, stood a girl that looked exactly like Nayeon.

Sungkyu rubbed his eyes and looked again in the girl's direction. "No one's there..."

 Still, his eyes instinctively searched for her before he shook his head. "Is it that one girl again?"

Sungkyu coughed and rubbed his jaw. "What am I doing? It's just a coincidence..."

 Sungkyu had lost his chance to cross as the light had changed again. 

 "It's just a coincidence," he told himself, "but still," his curiosity to take another look at the girl caused a burning in his heart. 

Sungkyu looked again, but the girl was long gone. He felt his heart pounding harder and harder while a heat began to consume his face. He felt anxious, wanting to take another glimpse at the girl.

He rubbed the bridge of his nose, "Ahh! what am I doing? I told her I wouldn't cheat. Staring at other girls is cheating, right? What's wrong with me?!"

Sungkyu tapped his feet as he waited for the light to change.

When the light changed he took a left in direction of the pharmacy, yet he felt a tug of the heart to go right, in direction of where he thought the girl might've gone.

He groaned and clutched the cross that hung on his neck. 

On the way back to Mina's, Sungkyu stopped by the 7/11 to buy some instant ramen for the two of them, "I think she'll be okay with the spicy kind."

Once inside her apartment, Sungkyu was astounded to see Mina sitting in front of the T.V.

 "Were you faking it?" he said with a wide smile.

 "No, it's just that the medicine worked, I guess..."

 "The Tylenol?"

 "No, the kiss you gave me."

 "Pfft! I only did it because I thought you were asleep."

 "I'm a good actress, aren't I?"

 Sungkyu smirked as he walked over to her and ruffled her hair,  "You're quite mischievous, aren't you? I like that."

 She snickered, "Well, how about you? I know I'm not so innocent. But I wonder how many times you've looked at other girls?" she said the last part with a playful tone.

 Sungkyu felt his heart sink, he swallowed his spit and his face became sullen. "You think that low of me?"

 Mina noticed the change in his face, "I was just kidding-"

Sungkyu dropped to his knees and bowed with his head to the ground before she said another word, "Ok! I'm sorry! It won't happen again..."

 Mina's brows bunched up, "Sorry? What did you say?"

 Sungkyu looked up and apologized again, "It's just that," he spoke with a deep sigh, "this one girl I saw- she looked exactly like her, she really reminded me of Na-"

 "It's fine," she cut in with a sharp voice. Her brows relaxed and her face was laced with bewilderment, "...it's okay, I guess." She spoke with a low voice, "I don't blame you- I would've done the same. It's only natural." She turned her face away and spoke under her breath, "I wish it were some other girl and not one that looked like her..."

Sungkyu knew he slipped up. "I'm sorry," he said with much remorse as he put his hand on her shoulder, tugging at it with hopes of meeting her eyes.

 "It's okay." Mina replied as she scooted a little to the side.

Her fever had gone away, but now she felt a deep sickness of heart: one of envy, one that protested the unfairness of the situation- of how even after death, she still seems to be the one he loves the most. Or was it pure exaggeration of the moment? All Mina knew for sure was that she hated the fact that Sungkyu felt guilty. For she felt this shame of his as sign to mean that he felt something the moment his eyes laid hold on this supposed girl. She wanted him all to herself; she wanted no part in playing second fiddle to a ghost.

 "No, it's not. I'm sorry. Please?"

 Mina sighed and struggled at first, but she turned to meet him and smiled, "You better make it up!" 

 Sungkyu was relieved. It was as though a pleasant breeze with the scent of fresh spring roses had blown over him and taken away the heat of anger, the anger he felt at himself for his unfaithfulness.

 "Anything!" he exclaimed with much anticipation.

 "Really? Anything?"

He swallowed his spit again, sensing he had stepped on a landmine, "Well, mostly anything- I mean I can't fetch the stars for you, though I would if I could," he added while his head nodded up and down. 

Mina smiled at his comment, "I love you."

 Sungkyu's eyes became like the waning moon as he spoke with a giddiness, "Me too."

Sungkyu listened to her request and closed the curtain. They didn't notice the hours passing by as they stayed up all night watching DVD's. "Just you and me," Sungkyu whispered as he layed her head on his shoulder.

When the sun rose the two did not know because of the thick curtains that prevented any light from entering. Mina was the first to wake up, she quietly laid him on his side and covered him with a blanket. The sweet, gentle melody of serenity played in her heart of hearts as she observed the peaceful way in which he slept, it was a song that played softly, like the flute that begins with a quiet voice and ascends with the playing of strings. "This is the one," she said to herself.

 By the time Sungkyu had woken up, Mina had prepared a bounty of food (mostly ramen and some side dishes, since she had been too busy to buy groceries).

 "Thanks!" he scratched the back of his head, "I should be the one to cook for you though, since you're still recovering."

 "It's fine. I found someone I'd like to cook for."

 Sungkyu subtly grinned.

Mina was too modest, "I'm not very good at cooking- but I'm working on it!" she added with eyes as bright as a young fawn.

 "Not true! You're an excellent cook. You'll make an excellent wi-"

 Mina sneezed, "Ah-choo!"

Sungkyu grinned at her, thinking how even her sneezes are cute and lovely.

Mina smiled as a result of embarrassment, "quit staring~"

"If you say so." Sungkyu opened the lid of his ramen and began to eat.

 "Hey," Mina said, "are you not even remotely curious on what the movie's about?"

 "It's supposed to be an anniversary movie or something, no?" he sipped some of the soup stock, "I guess the more recent team joins forces with your heroes to fight a big villain or something, right?"

 "Yeah," she nodded, "but you want to hear a secret?"

 "What is it? A crossover with another super-hero show?"

 "Besides that- it's about the main enemy?"

 "Is he special or something?"

 "Well," she went on with an almost haughty air, "You know the one terrorist attack that happened in Los-"

 "Armageddon at Los Angeles?" Sungkyu asked with a solemn tone.

 "That one!" Mina said with the snap of her fingers. "Rumor says that the supposed terrorist group explanation was all a farce, an excuse for the U.S. to station troops along the Jordan. At least that's what some people say."

 "Yeah?" Sungkyu looked at his empty bowl of noodles, attempting to hide the innate desire to confess the truth.

 "BUT!" She continued, "They say the real cause was a battle between a blue-eyed hero and this one ugly monster-"

 "What?!" Sungkyu retorted, being offended by the error of her words. "It was a blue-eyed monster, not hero!" he mused with some anger.

 "Anyways, some supposed photographs were leaked around the time the script for the movie was penned, so that ugly monster is the inspiration behind the villain of this new movie we're doing."

 Sungkyu rubbed his face with his lone hand, feeling frustrated over being labeled as the cause behind so much death.

 "You think it's for real?" Mina asked, thinking Sungkyu considered everything a far-fetched fantasy or joke.

 "And does he have a name or something?" Sungkyu asked after a deep breath.

 "Oh! That'll cost you!"

 "What?" What do you mean?"

 "Promise to take me out to see my movie when it comes out next year!" Her cheeks sagged and her lip drooped a little as she asked in a low voice, "and don't stare at anyone but me?"

Sungkyu felt the pang of guilt lash at his heart, "But, you've become like the moon that has eclipsed everyone else."

 "Just the moon?"

 "because you're skin is beautiful, like the pale moonlight amidst the black sky. You shine in the darkness for me..."

 Mina playfully shoved Sungkyu, but he was taken off guard so he fell down as a result. "I love it when you say stuff like that, I remember you told me something like that in high school."

Sungkyu smirked and let out a scoff.

 "Stay down!" Mina exclaimed as Sungkyu began to sit back up.

 "Ok!"

 Mina crawled and laid next to him.

 "What are you doing?" Sungkyu felt a heat sweep over his face and the tingling sensation of sweat begin to form on his cheeks and forehead.

Mina laid her head on his chest and smiled before remarking, "I'm happy I'm able to make your heart pound so furiously."

Sungkyu was speechless. He could hear the beating of his heart in his ears growing louder and louder. He felt anxious.

 "You make feel like I'm 19 again... No matter what anyone says, it's only you." 

Sungkyu attempted to sit up, but Mina refused to move.

 "Stay like this for just a while longer. That's all I'm asking for..."