Expiration Date

Live!Man...

October 29, 2019

 

The sky was overcast with a 20% chance of rain and the autumn winds were cold, yet they were a nice change of pace after a summer that broke historic records in LA. To Sungkyu and Woohyun, it didn't matter if it would rain or not because they were undeterred in having a great day. After narrowly defeating and sealing the 41st angel around two weeks ago, they were naturally anxious at the prospect of fighting the last angel. 
They knew the final angel would be the most dangerous threat they would encounter...

Sungkyu was relatively calm on this day, the 29th, but Woohyun was struggling to maintain his composure. He was scared for Sungkyu's sake.

At any rate, The two traveled around town in Woohyun's motorcyle, taking in some fresh air to clear their minds and prepare themselves. They headed to Koreatown, where they ate a lunch that reminded them of their native home. Following lunch was some more traveling around random streets and highways. They loved the feeling of the wind blasting against them. At around 8 pm, they came back home and sat to have some small talk.

Woohyun had been entertaining his fears, "I love you man-"

Sungkyu interrupted, "I won't die, don't worry! I'll look at you with a smile on my face and give you a thumb's up with a beautiful sunrise as the backdrop. Don't worry!"

 Woohyun choked a little, "Oh man, I just don't want you to die!"

Sungkyu shook Woohyun's shoulder, "I promise, I won't die on you."

 The friendship that grew between the two of them was like a seed of barley which was small, almost insignificant, and grew to be even taller than man as it reached for the sunlight. The final angel was the sickle that threatened to cut them and the whole world off.

Woohyun wagged his head, "I'm sorry man, I just feel nervous."

 "I do, too. But I got to be strong." Sungkyu fiddled with a loose strand that hung down his scarf. He tugged it softly and it pulled off completely. He wrapped it around his finger like a ring and exhaled deeply, "I'll be fine."

 "Are you hungry?" Woohyun checked the time on his phone, "Its been what? 5, 6 hours since we last ate?"

 Sungkyu patted his belly, "hmm-"

 "- I think we got some left over pizza. Want to heat it up and eat?"

 "I'll eat it cold," Sungkyu replied with a subtle smile.

Woohyun heated up his two slices and gave Sungkyu his share of the pizza on a paper plate. 2 minutes in the microwave was enough to make the slices piping hot. Sungkyu drizzled some hot sauce on his and the two ate quietly. Woohyun wanted to talk, but the knot in his throat truncated his words. Sungkyu drank in some of his Pepsi and made a satisfied noise after the fizz made contact with his mouth. That sound was enough to quicken Woohyun, "I'm sure he'll make it out alive," he said quietly, under his breath.
 

Sungkyu smiled at Woohyun, "say, maybe I can use the motorcycle for myself tomorrow? I love being the one actually driving."

 "The dual-chaser? Yeah, sure- I hope you give me a hand in caring for it too, though."

 Sungkyu let out a short laugh in reply.

 

Around 11pm, the two settled down for sleep, at least that's what they feigned to do. Sungkyu had planned since some months ago that he would fight this last angel alone, not wanting to risk the chance of Woohyun dying. Woohyun, however, had the precognition that Sungkyu might try something like that, so he desperately tried his earnest to stay awake; he failed.

 

Sungkyu changed form at 2:07 am and headed for the destination he was pointed to in his dream.

 

Sungkyu leapt and climbed up atop a tall skyrise building. There was no sign of a mist or fog (the signs that indicate a fallen angel's presence) anywhere. The night would have been darker than usual because of the thick clouds that covered it, but it being LA, the lights from all the streetlights and buildings kept the sky illuminated.

That changed, however, when an abrupt blackout occured. Everything became pitch-black down below. Then, Sungkyu saw the clouds in the sky part, an intense ball of light descended from on high and soon enough, the whole sky was lit as though it was noon.

Sungkyu took a deep breath, wriggling the scarf in his hand, and told himself, "Be strong."

 From the ball of light emerged the final fallen angel. He was hovering in mid-air as he flicked his long hair behind his back and kept his eyes fixed on Sungkyu. He moved to stand atop the highest point of a building that was parallel to the one Sungkyu was standing atop of. The two stared at each other for several minutes: Sungkyu was bracing himself for battle.

 "It is written," the fallen angel declared with much pride, "the Kingdom of God is taken with violence! But! Know that my intentions are a kindness. I seek to replace humanity with my own seed, just as the Holy One sought to do with Moshe, and did in fact do, with Noach."

Sungkyu's hand trembled some. To shake off his nervousness, he clenched his fist after retracting his talons (an ability he gained several months ago). Sungkyu distinctly heard the chiming of a knell in his ears. For others, the sound might've rung as a haunting, even ominous, melody, but the knell rang as peace manifested for Sungkyu. "I have to stop him," he asserted.

 "I am like you," the angel spoke with a strong voice, "You see, I too, am a child of God. But you were born through uncleaness," the angel gestured with his hand, "but I, I was born through prophecy! You were born under the curse! I was born through blessing!"

 Sungkyu was sure the angel was playing mindtricks, he did his best to maintain his cool.

 "Of the failed Messiah, it is written that he came through a holy womb, I," he patted his chest, "I, too, came from a woman!"

 Sungkyu was puzzled.

 "Now, tell me!" the angel exhaled. He bore into Sungkyu's soul as they met eyes, "What of the sacrificed hearts? "

Sungkyu tensed his muscles, the gap between his breaths shortened, "Why did you all kill?!" he demanded to know.

 The angel smiled, "Have you knowledge of my identity? Do you know my name?"

 "No, but it doesn't matter!"

 "Do you have the wisdom of the sages? Of he who is said to have blessed  the sons of men with weapons of war? Am I he?"

 "What?"

 "Or am I a lie? Am I a mystery?"

 "What?"

 "You heathen despise the goads of the wise? Of course, they are fools! All are!" the angel replied upon hearing Sungkyu's confused voice.

Sungkyu was stumped, "I don't understand..."

 The angel laughed as though he was seeing triumph before his eyes, "The Mashiach of old failed! But I will save! I will save! A remnant for myself! I will be like Noach, like Avraham! A mighty people will descend from me! All I need is life! A new life eternal to herald the kingdom of the thousand years! I will be made like the Son! No, the Most High! My Pride will ascend, pierce the heavens!" He laughed maniacally as the locks of hair shrouded his face, "my name?! It is Mighty! Too Wonderful!"

 The angel cast what seemed to be a small seed to the streets below, he followed by uttering some words under his breath. Sungkyu was unsure what to do. The ground trembled greatly. Sungkyu nearly lost his balance as he witnessed the streets down below begin to break apart. The angel sprinkled a red liquid, blood, from a small flask onto the cracks of the floor. A tree appeared! He threw some of the blood over his head and a black haze appeared on his shoulders as he muttered some words; the haze took the form of giant wings with faces covering the entirety of it- they were the faces of those who were slain by all the angels.

Sungkyu gasped, "what is this?!"

 The angel laughed as some buildings began to collapse. Sungkyu was stuck in a standstill, "what do I do to stop this?"

 He heard a voice from down below, it was Woohyun screaming at the top of his lungs through a megaphone.

 "Stop him, Sungkyu! He's trying to cause another tree of life to grow! He's using black magic!"

 "What?!"

  The angel grew furious, "Alas, the way of B'ilam is a must!" he placed his palm over his eyes and spoke with a voice that carried a pitiful tone, "But, as the sons of Aaron sullied their holiness through uncleaness with the Red Heifer, so I, too, must embrace the unclean!"

 Sungkyu brought his arms in front of him and tensed his muscles in an attempt to prepare himself for battle. He took a giant leap in the angel's direction. But then the armored angel leapt downwards. He was heading for Woohyun!

Sungkyu used the building in front of him to ricochet himself off of it, causing countless windows to shatter. 

He crashed when he landed on the streets, but got up and ran to Woohyun. The angel was already holding Woohyun by the throat.

 "Let him go!" Sungkyu cried out.

 The angel sneered at him as he took out the dagger that was holstered on his hip.

 "Don't!"

 The angel laughed, Sungkyu dashed at him, but he was too late! Woohyun's arm was slashed and was bleeding profusely. The angel tossed Woohyun aside as he whispered to him, "I'll repay my debt by sparing you a moment's rest." and Sungkyu tackled him, causing him to be blown back some blocks away. Sungkyu took the opportunity to remove his scarf and tie it around Woohyun's arm, causing it to be dyed in his blood.

 "This is nothing! Stop him!" Woohyun exclaimed, shaking off all the pain suffered, and confusion caused by the angel's words

Sungkyu nodded, happy to see Woohyun in a state good enough to speak. He gripped the silver cross on his chest as he looked up. Helicopters began to surround the area. Sungkyu redirected his attention to Woohyun. He lifted his right arm and gave him a thumbs up, "I'm in control of my emotions now, don't worry. I'll be the answer for this problem. I'll come back alive."
 

Woohyun imagined, that if Sungkyu was in his human form, he would've smiled from ear to ear with a shine in his eye unlike no other as he said those last words.

He clutched his arm and let out a groan, angry at his impotence, as he saw Sungkyu run in the direction of the angel.

 

​​​​​