Five

Doctor Byun
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I am sat on the floor of my living room, using the wooden coffee table as my desk. My laptop is out in front of me, but I have yet to have started on the essay that I have due later this week. My mom is sat on the sofa behind me, talking to my dad on the opposite sofa about his day at work. Not really paying attention to their conversation, nor my work, my mind drifts off elsewhere. It has only been a few hours since I got home from the café meeting with Baekhyun, yet I still cannot shake off the feeling of him being so close. Like I can still feel his presence lingering next to me, the feeling of his kneecap touching mine and our shoulders touching still there. His effect on me after a few innocent hours is bigger than I would like to admit.

I am broken out of my train of thought when I suddenly feel a foot kicking my back and my mother yelling my name to get my attention.

“What?” I turn around to face her, giving her a look for so rudely trying to get my attention.

“What? We’ve been trying to get your attention for minutes now and all you say is what?” She sneers and I realise that maybe I was too zoned out. I look over to my father, who is watching our interaction with an amused expression. My mom and I joke around like this often, her never wanting to get too serious about herself and not wanting me to worry about her. But my mom also knows how to have a serious conversation when she needs to have one. My dad never interfered, knowing he would get caught up in the middle, instead always choosing to simply observe our conversation.

“What can I do for you, my sweetest, dearest mother?” I muse, cocking my head to the side and staring at her with the fakest, sweetest expression I can muster. frowns with disgust, but her eyes display happiness. I know she is not actually mad at my lack of response. I laugh at her face, no longer being able to hold the fake smile.

“We asked how your day was,” my father asks now our bickering had subsided. I didn’t exactly tell them where I had been earlier, and for the moment, they didn’t need to know. It was just a friendly meeting.

“Alright,” I shrug, turning back to face my laptop and books. “Sehun asked about you both.” I tell them, wanting to get the conversation away from todays activities. They loved Sehun. Even my father, who was usually strict with who I hung around with, respected Sehun. Whenever he was at my house, they would talk about sports. Although I tried my best to entertain my dad when he spoke to me about football, he enjoyed speaking to Sehun about it more, as he actually knew what he was talking about.

“You should invite him round for dinner soon, honey. It’s been too long since we last saw him,” My mom tells me, leaning forward to grab the TV remote control from beside my stuff on the table.

As she does so, my phone lights up in a buzz. I don’t know who it could be, as I haven’t texted anybody today. Until I remember Baekhyun asked me to text him when I got home earlier. My eyes widen and my breath hitches in my throat. Quickly reaching for my phone, I see the name Doctor Byun on the screen. I grab the device before my mom can see what it says. Thinking she hasn’t seen the message, I let out a sigh of relief, grabbing the phone and placing it on my lap. Until I feel a hand clasping onto my shoulder. I turn to face her and she has a smile on her face, looking directly at me. One look tells me that she’s seen it but she does not say anything, especially not in front of my father. She shoots me a questioning glance, eyes fleeting from my phone back to my face. I exhale, subtly nodding my head to confirm her suspicions. Her face breaks out in a grin and her hand grips even tighter around my shoulder. I shoot her another glare, but this time because her grip hurts. She giggles and lets go, leaning back on the sofa, her smile not faltering.

My phone buzzes a second time and I tear my attention away from my mom to my phone. I frown, realising the time. Baekhyun was so tired earlier yet he is still not asleep. It is not so late in the day, only around 8pm. Even still, I thought he might have been sleeping, considering as he didn’t reply to my original text that told him I got home safe.

Fell asleep as soon as I got home. Glad to hear

I did what you asked

I frown at the second message. What did I ask him to do?

what i asked???

Dreamt of you

His response makes my body flush entirely. He is far too forward. I don’t know if I should take his response as a joke or seriously. Not wanting to make my squirming so obvious to both of my parents, I tuck my phone in the front pocket of my hoodie and grab my things, going up to my room. I can feel my mom’s eyes on me the whole time I make my way up the stairs but I avoid her gaze. I put all of my stuff to my desk and lay on my bed. Pulling my phone out again, I reread his text. Instead of replying, I do what any girl would do. I take a screenshot and send it to somebody. My somebody is the only one of my friends who knows. His response is almost instantaneous.

don’t know whether to throw up or cry tbh

not helpful!!!!!!!

Clicking back ont

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter