Two

Doctor Byun
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Even after getting home, all my mind could focus on was Baekhyun. Baekhyun and his defined jawline, his soft eyes, the barely noticeable freckle above his pink lips and not to forget, his warm and welcoming smile.

I am thinking about Baekhyun, so much so, that when my mom notices me silently eating my food and not really paying attention to the conversation my parents are holding, she speaks up.

“What did I tell you?” She questions, a knowing smile on her face, as if she can read my continuous thoughts about the male.

“I don’t know, mom, what did you tell me?” I try to act as though I don’t know what, or who, she is talking about. Nonetheless, this is my mom, and it’s hard to trick her.

“About Baekhyun. I told you he was handsome, didn’t I? You didn’t believe me,” she complains, poking at her food with her chopsticks. My father, at this point, clears his throat, probably feeling awkward at the conversation happening at the table. He had always been against me dating during my studies, wanting me to focus on the university work he is spending his money on. “He’s a handsome boy, isn’t he, dear?” She directs to dad, and I can see him visibly shoot her a look as if to tell her to stop talking.

“We’ve only met him once,” He adds, as though to make her change her opinion on him. Yet mom is a strong-willed woman, and I know she won’t back down to get me admit my attraction to the older man.

“I’ve met him twice. He’s a nice boy. Cares a lot about his job, from what I can see.” As if trying to provoke him, knowing he doesn’t like to discuss these types of things.

“Mom, stop trying,” I laugh out, only to have her cluck her tongue and shake her head.

“Don’t listen to your father, sweetie. I’ll introduce you to him properly next time.” 

“Honey, I have a doctor’s appointment tomorrow,” mom says, walking into the living room as I lay on the sofa, my upper half angled so I can watch the TV. It is a Sunday and I have caught up on all of my university work, so I allow myself to take this time out from studying and relax.

“What about it?” I question softly, not taking my eyes away from the drama I am currently invested in. Feeling my mom lift up my legs to sit where they had previously been resting, she sits down beneath them and places mine on top of hers.

“You’re coming with me,” she adds, placing her hand on my calf. I quickly pull myself up to face her, knowing why she wants me to come.

“What about dad? Why isn’t he going with you?” I stutter out, feeling bashful at the thought of possibly seeing Baekhyun again.

I quickly realise that I should probably think about my mom’s health in this situation and maybe not Baekhyun. It had been almost a month since the day I had to take her to the hospital, and there had been no stints in her health since, the medication having worked and her returning to her normal self just a day after. I, of course, followed Baekhyun’s advice of taking care of her regardless, trying my best to do all the tiring housework when I have the time. My parents aren’t very pushy with me helping around the house, because they understand that I have important work to do with university and getting my degree.

“I can’t hook up your dad with Baekhyun, can I, my darling daughter?” She chuckles out, and I gape in surprise. She really was serious about me wanting to meet Baekhyun.

“Mom, what are you trying to do here? I can’t date your doctor, that’s – that’s weird! He knows everything about you!” I try to reason with her, not wanting to make my secret fondness over her doctor even more obvious than it was already.

“Shouldn’t you be happy that your mom has found someone she approves of for you to date? What’s the problem?”

“I don’t know, mom. He’s, like, handsome and he’s, maybe like, in his thirties already, so he’s probably happily married with a family and I’m… just me,” I drawl out, f

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter