Twelve

Doctor Byun
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Baekhyun pulls on my hand to tug me into his arms. Once I am leaning on his chest, crying, he gently leans towards to where the phone is laying on the bed. He wraps one arm around my shoulder, dropping a kiss to my head as he quickly pulls the phone to his ear with his other hand. I don’t listen to the conversation. Almost a minute later, Baekhyun ends the phone call with a sigh of relief and holds me closer to him, shushing me gently. I leave his grip expectantly, waiting for him to tell me what he has been told. I am aware I have tears dripping down my face, and probably snot running from my nose, but at this point in time, my focus is not on what I look like in front of him.

“Sehun says he doesn’t know much, but that we should go now. Do you want me to take you?”

“Baekhyun,” I sob into his chest. “I-i missed the call earlier. I missed it!” My sobs get louder and he sighs, brushing his hand through my hair. He settles with silence, knowing there’s nothing he could do that would calm me down right now. Gently, he pulls me away from him, taking my hand and helping me up from the bed.

“Come on, darling. I’ll drive you there,” he clenches on my hand and I nod in between my tears, feeling too sick with worry to even speak. It’s silence, save for my tears, until we get to his car. Baekhyun doesn’t let go of my hand once. Baekhyun opens the passenger door of his car for me, watching me put my seatbelt over myself. I attempt to put it into the buckle myself, but with my hands shaking so hard, I can’t get it to go into the clasp. Baekhyun reaches over me, pushing the belt into the buckle for me. Before he leaves to close the door, he leans down to press a kiss to my forehead, smiling sadly at me. I whimper when he leaves, feeling alone even if just for a few seconds. When he opens the drivers side, I immediately hold my hand out to his, and even though I know he wouldn’t usually do so in any other circumstance, he takes my hand and clenches. I am still crying, even though I have calmed down a little, I still let out the occasional hiccup.

The drive, for the most part, is silence, but I cannot help myself when I ask, “Was my mom sick when she last saw you?”

Baekhyun doesn’t answer for a few seconds. His lips purse and he lets out a slow, long exhale before he tells me, “Sweetheart, you know I can’t tell you that right now.”

“Why can’t you? You’re her doctor, are you not?” I demand, feeling hurt that he’s keeping it from me even though he knows how I feel right now. I feel my waterline hot with tears once again.

“I am, baby, but not right now. I’m not working. I can’t tell you.” Baekhyun keeps his eyes on the road of the head of him, but gives my hand a light squeeze.

“Baekhyun,” I cry hard again, “that’s my mom.”

“I know… but I have faith in my colleagues that they’ll do their best to help her get better.”

“I didn’t pick up the call and now she’s sick and I’m not there,” I wail, my voice broken and hoarse. I shake my head, taking my hand out of Baekhyun’s to rest my head on my hands as more tears fall from my eyes.

“Hey, now,” Baekhyun frowns. “Don’t blame yourself. It’s not your fault.”

“I shouldn’t of gone out, I should’ve - I should’ve stayed at home with her and helped her, I can’t believe I left her." The only thoughts running through my head right now are that I've failed my mom. I always did my best to help her, be with her and there for when she needed it but this time, I wasn't. And the guilt is running through me. I cry harder at the thought of my mom being sick and alone, suffering by herself. My heart feels the heaviest it's ever been. There have been times where my mom has been sick in hospital, more than I can count, but this time, I feel myself even more heartbroken; possibly because I was spending time with her own doctor. 

"Sweetheart," Baekhyun glances at me quicky, taking his eyes from the road. He places a hand upon my wrist, gently tugging my hand back down to my lap. I let him, placing my hand over his that is now resting on my thigh. I squeeze his hand as though it is a support for me. "What did your mom say when you left your house this morning?" 

"That... She said," I hiccup, brushing away a tear. "She said to have fun."

"See, baby? Your mom wants you to have fun. I don't think she'll blame you as much as you're blaming yourself, sweetheart." 

"But..." I begin, pausing to let in a deep breath as another stray tear falls. "This time I didn't answer when she needed me. I didn't answer, Baekhyun, I wasn't there." 

"I know, baby, but you weren't to know. You couldn't of known," he stresses, turning his hand so it fits through mine. He brings my hand to his lips, dropping a comforting kiss on the back of my palm. "But your mom is in the best place she can be. We have the best doctors for her condition in this country, and they're trying their best to help her get better now. Believe in them." 

Baekhyun leads me through the hospital, though t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter