Four

Doctor Byun
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I am awake on Sehun’s bed, unable to sleep. The only thing running through my mind is Baekhyun. If seeing him would be awkward, how I should approach him, what if he suddenly thinks I’m ugly and walks straight back out the café? I am worrying, so much so, that I cannot stop tossing and turning. Sehun, who I thought was asleep, sits up to face me and glares. Even with the darkness in the room, I can see the irritation on his face.

“If you don’t stop tossing then I will personally cut off your legs so it is impossible for you to go anywhere tomorrow,” he seethes. I giggle at his anger, only to receive a hard kick in the shin from him. Just to piss Sehun off, I flip over once again and he groans. He rolls to his opposite side, so he is faced away from me, at the furthest distance away he could be. Not even five minutes later, the room was back to only being filled by his soft snores. Sometime during the night, I fall asleep, thinking of somebody who looks a lot like Doctor Byun.

There is about thirty minutes until the end of my lecture when Baekhyun texts me, telling me he is done with his shift and will make his way to the café around the corner from my university. My stomach feels fluttery and for the next thirty minutes, I do not take in a single thing the lecturer is talking about. I am far too nervous.

Usually, I am one of the last people out of a lecture hall, always taking up too much time in putting away my supplies. Today, however, I have everything packed up, ready to go and as soon as we are dismissed, I shoot up and walk out of the hall. I do not want to waste Baekhyun’s time, seeing as he already has limited amounts of it. The walk to the café is quick, but as I am nearing, I can feel my heartbeat fastening with each step.

When I turn the corner onto the road of the café, my eyes are immediately drawn to the man sat on one of the tables at the front of the shop. Although it is somewhat cold today, I don’t blame him for choosing an outdoor seat, seeing as he has been stuck inside all night with work. The table is little and round, meant for only two people to sit at. The small size of the table means I will be very close to Baekhyun. He is resting his hand on his chin, not particularly paying attention to anything, probably too tired to. I have only ever seen Baekhyun in his work attire; dark trousers, a shirt, tie and his lab coat, a red stethoscope around his neck. Today, however, I see he is wearing black sweatpants and a red Balenciaga sweatshirt. Balenciaga is an expensive brand, but seeing as the man is a doctor, it is no surprise to me that he can afford such nice clothing. Even though he is in his casual wear, I still think he looks incredibly handsome. Even better, perhaps. As I am nearing the entrance to the front of the café, Baekhyun notices me and his face lights up in a smile. Not wanting to keep him waiting any longer, I speed up my pace until I am right in front of him.

“Hello,” he grins, the tired look is completely wiped from his face and replaced with happiness. He stands up and I think he might want to shake my hand as a greeting, but to my surprise, he moves to pull out the chair next to me and gestures for me to sit. My cheeks redden as I do so, surprised at his courtesy. Nobody had ever done that for me before, not even on dates. Once he is sat back in front of me, he notices the blush on my cheeks and tenderly smiles.

“How was your lecture, darling?” He asks and by one pet name, my heart is back to thumping. His gaze just looks so attentive, like his attention is on nothing but me. I don't want to stutter whenever I am around him, so I try myself to compose myself before I talk. 

“Boring,” I frown, and he laughs. “I didn’t really listen. The lecturer doesn’t really make it interesting to listen to.” I don’t mention that I also didn’t listen because I was so distracted by the thought of him.

“Wait,” he pauses, “What are you even majoring in?” The doctor questions and it dawns on me the only thing we really know about each other is our names.

“Law. I want to be a lawyer,” I tell him and he beams. His head bobs his head up and down, impressed by what I just told him.

“Clever girl.” Laughing, he taps the side of his head, like he is pointing to his brain. My heart leaps at the compliment. From somebody from a profession that takes a lot more brains than I have, it is nice to know that he appreciates what I want to do.

“Do you want to order now? I’ll go and get it,” He points back to the front door of the small café with his thumb.

“Let’s look through the menu first. I’m craving something chocolatey today,” I tell him, pulling out the card from the holster at the side of the table. As there is only one, Baekhyun scoots his chair closer to mine so we can look at it together. Our thighs are almost touching, and I can feel his shoulder brushing mine. The close proximity of us both has my stomach doing flips and I have to look down at the menu to distract myself from how close he is to me. We scan through the sheet, although nothing is really catching my eye.

“They have a warm chocolate brownie. Do you want that?” Pointing to the picture on the menu, I decide to go with what he offers, since I had nothing else in mind anyway. I nod, glancing up to him to see him already looking down at me. His gaze is full of warmth. Unlike last time, where I was intimated by his stare, I feel comforted. After a few seconds of eye contact, he smiles softly. It makes his eyes crescent and crinkles appear at the outer corners. Our faces are very close and I can see every wrinkle that appears.

“What are you going to get?” I enquire, not wanting to sound rude when I realise we have only spoken about what I want so far.

“I’m just going to get a coffee. I need it,” he laughs and I instantly feel very guilty. He is spending his time on me when he could be sleeping. Before I can say anything in response, he asks “What drink would you like?”

“Just a tea. Please,” I request, not forgetting my manners. He nods in understanding, taking the menu and standing up to go and order. Baekhyun is not a very tall man, I realise, although I still am shorter than him, coming up to just his shoulders. Sehun is much taller in comparison to him. But I think his height is just right for him. Even still, his shoulders are very wide, even through his thick hoodie. I wonder what it would be like to rest my head on his shoulder.

I watch him go up to the counter to order, mesmerized by everything he does. His presence is so different compared to anybody else in the room. It is so different than it was to when he was at work. In the hospital, when he was talking, his appearance was stoic, expressionless, entirely focused on his job. Now, it is like he cannot stop smiling, everything done with an aura of joy. It is like he is glowing. Watching him converse with the waitress, who has taken the money, he nods and bows in appreciation, leaving to come back outside. I quickly look away, realising I was staring. 

As he walks through the door, he tells me “they’re going to bring out the order when it’s done. It won't take long.”

“How much should I pay you?” Reaching for my purse from my bag, I don’t want him to have to pay for me. I already feel like I am burdening him by being here, so I don't want to let him pay.

“No- no, it’s fine, I’ve got it,” he refuses, shaking his hands in a firm no. I frown, ready to protest, but give up when I see him look at me pointedly. He sits back down in his chair that is still very close to me, not bothering to move back to where it was. He is leaning sideways in his seat so he can look at me, resting his right elbow on the top of the chairs back, his other resting on the arm of the chair.

“I’ll pay next time then.” I demand. There may not even be a next time, but I still say it anyway.

“Whatever you w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter