Epilogue

Doctor Byun
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

pure. fluff. prepare heart!

unedited, kinda time skippy but u can fill in the gaps. 

“I can’t do this. I absolutely cannot do this.”

“Babe, relax. You’ve studied, everything we’ve been through together has been correct, you’re going to be fine. You can do this, I promise.”

“Nope. When I fail university, then you’ll see. You’ll have a failure of a girlfriend, Baekhyun.”

“You are not going to fail. I know you won’t, babe,” he frowns, gently prying the flashcards out of my hand and replacing them by threading his fingers through my own. Squeezing gently, he picks up our connected hands and places a soft kiss to my knuckles, his free hand wrapping around the both of them. It’s comforting to me, and the stress inside me dissipates a little bit, but I still feel so anxious about it.

Baekhyun has been there for me through all of my studying for my final law exams. Having him there - someone who understands the pressure of such an intense course and the constant stress of revision. He’s stayed awake with me countless of nights even though he’s exhausted, even though he doesn’t know anything about law, to help me study. Honestly, if I didn’t have Baekhyun, I would’ve been under a lot more stress than I feel. Knowing that he’s by my side, cheering me on as my number one supporter, brings me more comfort than anything.

“You’re going to smash these exams, and then you’re gonna go into the legal practise course and smash that too and then, you’re gonna become my badass lawyer girlfriend and earn us lots of money,” he grins, adding humour to cheer me up and distract me a little bit. He scrunches his nose a little, and even though he’s kidding with the last bit, I know there’s sentiment behind it. My heart warms.

“Yeah, so if you accidentally up medically, your badass girlfriend can represent you in court,” I grin back and he snorts, letting go of my hand to pinch jokingly at the skin of my thigh. As he does so, however, he leans forward and presses a loud, obnoxious kiss to my cheek, making the muah as loud as he possibly can. I sigh fondly at him.

“That’s the spirit,” he laughs, both of his hands cupping my cheeks together so they pout like a fish, making him giggle and lean down to kiss there, too.


 

Baekhyun takes the morning of my first exam off to drive me to the hall. He’s quiet throughout the car drive, holding lightly onto my hand when he can. When he does so, he caresses the skin of my hand with his thumb comfortingly, calming me down the tiniest bit. When we pull up the exam hall, he turns to me with soft eyes and the corners of his mouth turned up slightly. Clasping my hand wholly, he makes direct eye contact with me. I know he can see and feel how nervous I am, making him look a little worried. I don’t say anything, because I know he’s trying to think of what to say. As he does so, he pouts his lips gently as he thinks.

“I know how nervous you must be, because I felt it too, so just… take your time, read the questions properly, remember what you studied, what we studied together and do your best. Nobody, especially me, couldn’t ask for anything more,” he lets out a deep breath, still keeping his eyes sincerely on me as he pads at my skin, “I believe in you, even if you’re not believing in yourself so much right now.”

I feel my eyes watering a little at his words. I don’t want to cry so I whine loudly and break eye contact, muttering, “Why do you have to be so ing sweet all the time?”

“That’s what you signed up for when you said yes to dating me a year ago,” he laughs loudly making me smile lightly at him too. He makes my nerves almost vanish. I know if I have him by my side, I know I can do anything. I can tell he doesn’t want me to cry, and I don’t want to cry, so he changes the topic to, “Quick, go or you’ll miss your test!”

I lean forward to meet him halfway, kissing him softly before I get out of the car. He rolls the window so he can watch me without the colour being tinted. Before I open the door to the venue, I turn back to face Baekhyun. He’s watching me with a proud, sweet smile. Jokingly, though not really, I blow a kiss at him and he smiles even harder, the wrinkles at his eyes pronouncing.

“Love you!” he shouts through the window, making me almost completely relax. I won’t ever get over him saying those words. Knowing I have the knowledge for the exam in my head and his love in my heart, I step into the building with a deep breath.

The day my results come out, almost two months after my final exams started, my family, Baekhyun and I all crowd around my kitchen table, nervously waiting for the results to appear on the university portal site.

“You do it, I can’t do it, oh my God.” I slide the computer to my dad's side of the table, leaning closer into Baekhyun’s chest. I know we’re being closer than usual around my parents, with me sitting on his lap and his arms wrapped around my waist, but I need his comfort right now. I can feel my heart beating out of its ribcage, and my whole body is disgustingly clammy with nerves. I feel sick. I hear my father typing in my log in details and I scrunch my eyes closed as tightly as I can. I don’t even want to think about it. My parents and Baekhyun are quiet as it loads. From under my leg, Baekhyun is lightly shaking his own, something he does when he’s nervous. He is nervous for me. He kisses the crook of my neck in reassurance.

After when feels like forever, I can tell my results are out because of the little gasp I hear from my mother's direction. I immediately grab onto Baekhyun’s forearm and scrunch my eyes even tighter.

“Open your eyes, honey,” Baekhyun says. His voice is relatively stable and for some reason, my mind instantaneously does not take that as a good sign and I panic. Slowly opening my eyes, my dad slides the computer so it faces away from him, and is right in front of me.

As I take in the results, I feel my eyes well up. “I did it, what the , I did it,” I chant, not believing what’s in front of me. My jaw is slacked open and I stare at my parents in shock. I can see a tear escape my mom as she grins, rapidly nodding her head. My dad has a proud, fatherly smile. Rereading to make sure I didn’t read it wrong when I see that I actually got a first in Law, I let out a squeal and jump up from Baekhyun’s lap. He stands up from the chair also. I can hear Baekhyun laugh behind me and I let out a cry, turning around to face him. I jump, wrapping my legs around his waist as he runs his hands along my spine. I cry into his shoulder in sheer happiness as he drops multiple kisses to the top of my head.

“You did so, so well, my daughter,” I hear my mom say and I can hear the emotion thick in her voice, then feel her press her hand against my spine. My dad joins too, and suddenly, we’re all just crying, hugging each other in happiness.

I did it, and I couldn’t have done it without the most important people in my life. Baekhyun and my parents.

Enrolling into a legal practise course is extremely time-consuming and tenfold more stressful than I ever thought it would be. I have so many workshops and so many things to prep and study for which is so, so much harder than university had been. Now, it's like I don't have enough hours in a day. Productivity is so exhausting, and it means even less time with my boyfriend. Which is why, when my dispute resolution workshop finishes at eleven pm and I've had an awful day, my first thought isn't to go home but to Baekhyun's hospital. I never usually do, but I'm so exhausted and am missing him so much, that because he's on the night shift, I need to go and see him. I know that he's probably busy with his patients, which is why I sneak into the room where he sleeps when he's on a night shift and on call. I know I'm not supposed too, but it'll only be for a few hours. It's bare, obviously, but I know he's planning on staying here because his supreme gym bag is in the corner and his personal phone on the small table. I know he has a hoodie of his somewhere in his bag that he won't mind me stealing. I root through it, making an aha noise of achievement when I see a yellow Buried Alive hoodie that he's been wearing a lot recently. I slip it over my head and even the smell of his cologne makes me unwind.

The bed is hard and very uncomfortable, and definitely way too small to fit both of us (if he does come back in here at all) in, but it'll do. Before I know it, however, I'm falling asleep, Baekhyun's hood over my head and the sleeves across my nose, feeling a little closer to him though not physically.

 

What wakes me up is the soft twirl of my hair. I don't know what time it is, but when I can finally open my eyes, Baekhyun is crouched down on the bed beside me, his face barely visible in the dark. What I can make out is his soft smile, though I can see the confusion in his eyes.

"What're you doing here, my love?" he whispers, running his hand through my hair gently. I bask in his touch, in his presence. 

"Bad day. Tired. Missed you." 

He doesn't say anything in response but cups my cheek with his hand that was running through my hair, kissing my forehead. I curl my hand around his hand and close my eyes again, feeling sleepy and comfortable under his touch. 

"I need to go again, but go back to sleep, okay? I'll come back in a few hours and drive us home." 

I whine a little - it's the sleepiness - and he sighs in what seems like sadness. He kisses me gently again and I frown, holding onto his wrist that almost left my skin.

"I love you," I tell him, for some reason feeling like I absolutely need to let him know right at that moment.

"I love you more," he smiles against my skin as he pushes another kiss to my forehead, then my cheek, then my lips. I let him go with another final kiss to his lips. I fall asleep again with a warm heart and a tingle in my veins.

 

When Baekhyun wakes me up again, it's to let me know that his shift is over, and he'll take us back to his apartment. The sun is just rising, so I assume it's probably around 5 am. I groan, getting up and rubbing my hoodie-clad hand over my eyes. 

"I'm tired, baby," I whine even though I know Baekhyun is probably a lot more tired than I am. He doesn't mind.

"Me too, don't worry. We can go to sleep soon, okay?"

"Can we take a bath when we get home?"

Baekhyun frowns down at me for a minute, scanning over my features to tell what's wrong and if I'm being serious. In all honesty, I'm perfectly fine, just sleepy and too lazy to stand up for a while in the shower. Once he realises that I am fine, he cracks a tiny smile and nods, threading his calloused fingers through mine.

 

"Lift your arms, sweetheart," Baekhyun tenderly instructs as he towers over me whilst I sit on the toilet seat. I do as he says and he pulls his hoodie, along with my t-shirt, over my head for me. Realising there isn't a bra underneath, he softly gestures for me to raise my legs so he can take the sweatpants and underwear off me too. He clucks his tongue when I groan in laziness, but there's happiness and love in his eyes, so I know he isn't truly annoyed. After he strips me, he strips down himself and reaches down to check the bath water. Deciding it's at the right temperature, he beckons me over and helps me step into the bath first, slotting down behind me so I rest between his spread legs with my back against his chest. His kneecaps rest just above the water, the bath a little too small to fit both of us, but it works - we make it work. Delicately, he sweeps my hair back for me, tying it in a low, messy ponytail with the band I had around my wrist so it doesn't get sticky or wet with the heat of the bath. Once it's done, he drops a kiss to my bare shoulder and snakes his arm around my waist, pulling me a little closer to him. The sun rises outside, the sheer curtains letting in the oranges and yellows of skies. It's tranquil, it's blissful and the fact I'm sharing it with Baekhyun makes it that much better.

We don't talk for a while. I don't mind it. The comfiness of being in his arms, feeling his bare skin against mine is enough to make me completely lax - at peace, even. He breaks the silence, however, when he calmly asks, "Want to talk about why your day was so bad?"

"Not really," I sigh. Not that I don't want to talk about it to him, or want him to know, it's just that there isn't a specific reason. It's a whole abundance of reasons. "I just missed you and I was getting cranky, I guess. No big deal." 

"Missed you more," he whispers against my skin. I think because he knows how much I missed him, or because he genuinely missed me too, he's being a lot more touchy than usual. He kisses the skin he can reach, smooths his thumb against my stomach comfortingly, hums softly by the shell of my ear to make me relax more. "I booked a week off in a few weeks."

"Should we do something? Maybe we could go on like, a weekend break. I should have a little bit of time, too."

"Where would you wanna go?" 

"We could always just go to J

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter