Chapter 1

Rapids

 

Kim Mingyu, at times like these, loved his life. He was reminded of this every time he felt the rush, the water against his skin, the movement of his tail and the flowers and seaweed stuck on his serenity blue hair. It was worth it. It was worth it escaping his father, the king. It was even worth it when he escaped the Kingdom. But the highlight of it all, was he was able to escape his responsibilities and duties.

 

Yes, if it isn’t obvious enough, Kim Mingyu is a Prince. A merman. With Undercut serenity blue hair, and ombre green to blue tail with specs of silver and gold, he was very popular among all kingdoms. Known to be good looking, smart, respectful and overall the perfect Prince. Yet he sometimes ditches his responsibilities.

 

Sure, as a Prince he knows he can’t avoid that all the time, he’s fine with it. Heck, he’s fine with being the Heir even, (but don’t tell his older brother that). He isn’t picky, nor is he a brat about it. But sometimes you just gotta enjoy life, y’know? And swimming rapidly and exploring the unknown parts of the ocean is his way to enjoying his.

 

He slowed down, observing his surroundings. The water felt different, the sand was clear of shells and other rocks, the seaweed was darker. Mingyu was thrilled, to say the least. He finally found a new place to investigate in the weeks of going to the same favorite places. He looked ahead of him and noticed the thick walls of seaweed towering over him, going for miles. The Merman’s smile dropped, internally groaning to himself because of the thought of having to push himself through all of that. Though he was not one to give up easily, so he dismissed any kinds of thought with the topic of giving up and braced himself. 

 

Mingyu kept pushing pass the thick fields of seaweed, determined to see what’s past all these plants. Sometimes he would accidentally startle some fishes but they wouldn’t mind and would follow him around after apologizing. After twenty minutes or so, Mingyu, funny enough, has already gathered enough fishes to call a school. 

 

“Phew! Okay, alright. That’s enough struggling for now,” He breathily laughed, the fishes looked disappointed and urged him to go on.

 

“Hey! Good for you, you only swam with me! I’m tired here, give your beloved Prince a break.” He pouted, and the other sea creatures looked at him and rolled their eyes playfully, which made the Prince pout even more.

 

 “Fine. Spoiled creatures. One final batch of seaweed and I’m resting.” 

 

He faced his back against his new friends and with his muscular arms, pushed past the thick seaweed. 

 

Huh, they were surprisingly light compared to the last ones.’ Mingyu thought, but in the process of talking to himself, he was unaware that there was nothing in front of him — not even another batch of those wicked thick seaweed — so he fell face first onto the sand. He heard bubbles going off behind him. great. the fishes were laughing at him.

 

“Go~! Laugh all you want, ha ha. very fu-“ 

 

The merman was unable to finish his sentence, captivated by the beauty that the cave in front of him held. There were huge, pretty shells with also huge pearls still resting inside them, crystals made of mostly blue, green and gold decorated the ceilings and the sand was as white and as soft as ever. 

 

Was this a dream? He couldn’t believe it. All the tiredness he felt disappeared before he could even complain about it again. 

 

“This is AWESOME!” He screamed as he twirled around, ascending upwards the water, creating a strong current that carried even the fishes he just made friends with. His laughter slowly died down and so did his distance from the seabed decreased. Laying down on the soft sand, he closed his eyes and put his hands through his hair. He felt the flowers and the bits of seaweed stuck in it. He didn’t mind, it won’t harm him anyway. The Prince then settled on putting his hands on the back of his head and rested on it, closing his eyes and sighing. The fishes followed and found their own resting spots around Mingyu. 

 

Mingyu’s sure he has to mark this place down secretly, just for him.