Chapter 2

Circumspect

2. Love is a boomeerang, it keeps on successfully finding its way back to you every time you try to throw it aside.

“Please honor my decision, Umma, Appa”

“If you are really sure then we have no choice but to let you go.”

Sojung talked to her parents about her plans of moving out of Korea to study and leave everything that has happened. She can hear the silent disagreement of her parents with her wishes. She knew they don’t want her to be away from them especially it’s only been a day after the depressing wedding day to ever occur. Of course, they would want to be with her always.

“I will make sure to update about my whereabouts, Umma and appa, you don’t have to worry about me. Yewon-ah, you take care, okay? Stop thinking about unnie, I will be alright. Plus you can visit me anytime you want.”

“But unnie, do you reall have to go? You canjust continue your studies here and we will make sure that girl will never have a chance to get near you!”

“Yewon! That girl has a name, respect your Eunha unnie!”

Sojung is disappointed with the way her sister was acting, she understand her younger sister being angry at Eunha but she could not let Yewon disrespect anyone.

“Sorry unnie”

“I will talk to Eunha’s parents about the arrangement I asked of you, Appa. I guess that is much better and fairer compared to my request.”

“Sojung, are you really sure? I know you love Eunha and even if I feel hurt, angy and disappointed towards her actions, I know how much she means to you. Can you really do this?”

“I can, appa. I should have done this in the first place, right Umma? I should have listened to you.”

“Shhh, Sojung-ah, what is important is you have learned your lesson and you are ready to correct them. Eunha is such a sweet girl but she hurt you so you can’t blame me for being angry a little. Just like what you Appa said, we couldn’t hate her totally because I know that is not what you want.”

“Thank you, umma, appa and Yewon-ah for understanding me although I have been so selfish, I promise I’ll come back as a better Sojung for you.”

“I will make your secretary arrange your papers and get you a ticket immediately. Please see us before you go to the airport, okay?”

Sojung only nodded and smiled sadly. She needed to be away. She needed this to forget and let go.

---

Earlier before Sojung went to her family’s house, even if she hasn’t seen herself on the mirror she knew she looks messy. From her eyes, all red and heavy and feels so dry after drinking past her limits. Her always neat unit now covered with glass and bottles of beer scattered on the floor. Sojung can only sigh, it was a confirmation that everything was real.

She wasn’t dreaming. It is not a nightmare but a reality. A reality she tries so hard to reject.

She took a deep breath and started crying again, she only woke up but she feels hurt again. Too wounded that maybe if she cries the pain she feels would hurt less.

Sojung did not know how long she had been crying when she stopped and leaned her head to rest suddenly, a dull feeling crept up on her. She was all alone, with no one to hold and no one to help her. Sojung has always been alone, anyway, except when Yerin and SinB found her.

Sojung kept her ordinary look because she never wanted attention avoided things that will make her stand out. She was happy she found true friends with Yerin and Sinb but she also did not want to burden them with problems especially about Eunha.

The truth was, Sojung owed her life to Eunha but the other girl does not know that. But that’s not the reason why she loves Eunha. Although that is where everything started, she was curious about the girl who saved her only to find she had crossed the line between admiration and love.

Students are all focused on each activity assigned to them during their trip but Sojung who was barely sixteen at that time wandered around the pool. Even she came from a rich family she never had an interest with swimming and she is actually scared of water but she could not help but go nearer and nearer to the water because her favorite bracelet was thrown by a bully named, Dongyuk. But the bully did not stop there and push her. She thought she would be drowning but a delicate but firm hands held onto her waist and pull her away from death.

There she met her savior, who kissed her I mean who performed CPR for her to survive. She breathed life to her again. That day, also marked Sowon’s heart to beat for someone else’s, not for her own but for Eunha.

She forgot that they were with some juniors and freshmen in this trip. The girl cared for her like she was a fragile glass, never left her side until she was okay.

But since, Sojung does not want attention she hides away from Eunha, only conveying her sincere gratitude over small notes and things she poured inside her locker. She made sure she never forgets to bring Eunha a supply of her favorite chocolate. Of course, she remained anonymous until she graduated from high school and went to the university.

She knew Eunha was a bit curious about her since she found out the other girl was looking for her but eventually gave up. Good thing because Sojung is too weird for Eunha to be understood, so she was afraid of getting too close to Eunha, especially when she became aware of her feelings for her.

She thought after having gone to college would eventually help her forget Eunha but the distance did not help. She only keeps on yearning for her more and more, yearning to see her again even if observing her from afar only.

Pulling her back to reality was the sound of her phone ringing.

“Hello”

Sojung knows it was Jihyo

“Ms. Kim, we found Ms. Jung”

It took Sojung a minute before responding back. Is she ready to know where Eunha go? Is she ready to get hurt again?

“Where is she?”

---

Sojung took a deep breathe; she is in front of Eunha’s parents house after office hours. They will talk about the new arrangement she had plan. Even if it means, she has to let the love of life go.

Yes, Sojung will cancel the engagement.

After knowing Eunha’s whereabouts, she had finally woken up from the daydream she’d been deluding herself with. Eunha will never be hers no matter how and what she does, Eunha wasn’t just meant to belong to her.

She loves the girl so much but Eunha wanted someone else. How pathetic could she be for pretending she can replace that person in Eunha’s heart.

The pictures sent to her earlier were already enough for Sojung to finally give up. To stop the illusion she’d been trying to get herself into. Happiness with Eunha is too impossible.

She knew where Eunha went. Of ocurse, where else the girl could be, Sojung can’t help but smack herself for being a fool.

Eunha is with Sana.

Sojung clenched her fist, every time she remembers seeing those photos. The girl was clearly Sana and Eunha went to the Japanese woman’s home.

Eunha left Sojung at the altar to be with the girl she loves.

Sojung need not to wait long because Eunha’s parents immediately ushered her in.

No one dared to speak; Eunha’s parents can’t even look at her. Sojung gulped, she does not know how to start but she knows she has to.

She has to begin, to move forward even if it seems difficult, to live her life not next to Eunha. But she had to finally accept defeat to end the mess she created.

“Sir, I would like to apologize for bringing your family into the prior arrangement.”

The man looked surprised when he heard the way Sojung addressed him.

“I am cancelling the engagement also, the KS Corporation will not withdraw its proposal of rebuilding your company instead of handing your eldest daughter for marriage, the KS will be having 50% of you stocks and most of our stockholders will be part of the BOD. I hope you consider our new proposal. This is the contract, we will give you time to think Sir. Don’t worry, it will go the way just like how I described it you, Sir. Even if you are going to sign across my father and sister, the KS does not back out from its promise.”

“What do you mean cancelling the engagement?”

“KS will no longer seek for your daughter’s hand in marriage, Sir. our dughter does not need to marry me anymore. We just wanted to make sure we will take control of your company while you retain the half of it. It is not bad for a deal, isn’t it?”

“But Sojung, Eunha needs to—“

Sojung did not let Eunha’s father to finish, even just hearing her name makes Sojung light headed and breathless.

“She does need to know about the new arrangement, Sir. She has no role to play anymore and I don’t need her approval for the cancellation. It is my own terms and condition.”

“Sojung, why are you addressing me formally instead of calling me uncle?”

“Is there a need to be, Sir?”

“Sojung, we are really sorry for what Eunha did.”

“No, sir it is my fault in the first place. I apologized for the mess I have caused. I hope this does not affect the relation between KS and your company.”

“We are truly grateful, Sojung”

Sojung only nodded. She wanted to leave as quickly as possible.

“Sojung, I know it would be too much to ask for. But please forgive Eunha.”

This time it was Eunha’s mom who talked to her. But she only averted her gaze and bowed. The couple can’t do anything but let Sojung go.

---

While she was inside the car, she lifted the envelope again, she looked into it and saw Eunha in front of Sana’s house.

She and Sana are talking, hugging and staying close.

Her knuckles had turned white as she gripped into it tightly.

She drove to where she was unusually seen. She wanted to forget everything for a moment.

She thought the drinks and noise would help her escape and forget to the thing that happened to hurt, to forget who made her feel this way.

Maybe, I'll never be the one she wanted. Who would want someone like me anyway? A shy, unsociable and awkward girl who only has two friends in college.

She shook her head as she realized how pathetic she is. Kim Sojung is such a fool, stupid and miserable being. She has always been careful to whom she associate with especially she was not a fan of gathering attetntion, she hated it more so when it is because of her family background. Coming from a rich and powerful family, can sometimes be a disadvantage. But due to how influential they are, that is what made it possible for her preference to be hidden, her marriage and arrangement with Eunha was kept between her family, closest friends, trustworthy employees or directors and relatives. Although, having such an enormous riches, her family was kind and good to people and no one had ever dared to betray them.

So certainly, no one will ever leak the engagement between her and Eunha. Of course Sojung is worried for Eunha's safety; majority will never be in favor of such thing called homouality within a conservative country like Korea. Sojung had known when she finally admitted that she is falling for Eunha, it will be a very difficult situation. Not just because she knew Eunha might not feel the same but also the reception of the general public to their businesses, it might affect people or other companies who consumed products from them. She had seen how it was with Sana and Eunha, although when they are inside the campus everything seems okay, more than fine even, young generation especially the ones within their community (most of them are students who got to be exchanged to foreign countries and has seen people love without boundaries and had been aware through social media about one’s uality thus, seems to be more accepting) but once they go out of the premise some people looked at them with frown or dirty looks.

Sojung was damn afraid to tell her family about her feelings but she was glad that when she was so desperate for Eunha her family accepted her whole, loves her just the same. She was happy to feel that a forbidden love is not something that degrades you as a person and her parents seemed to understand it, she is Sojung, no matter who she loves, and she is still Sojung.

But the only sad thing is here she was, going inside a bar, her ears were not used to blasting sounds but she insisted and endured to stay. She needed this. She needed to drown the voices and thought playing inside her head; she wants to think no one at the moment.

She doesn't want Eunha in her mind.

She wanted to be filled with unrelated noises to her problem. She wanted nothing to make her remember her. She wanted to be away from every memory she had with her.

She wanted to find a way out.

To forget how painful a love that will never be returned hurts, she ing wished to forget.

Eunha, was like a part of her, it is hard to not think of her. So Sojung had come to a decision, if Eunha is everything to Sojung then, she'd lose herself tonight.

She'd lose herself, she'll forget how to be Sojung.

Because I, as Kim Sojung was no good, not enough for that someone she loved dearly.

She started to intake another set of alcohol, maybe it will help her do something she's not used to.

Do something that is not Sojung-like.

"Hi, umm is it your first time here?"

And when a stranger approached her, she took a gulp from her alcohol to answer her the way that's so not her because she usually don't show any sign of interest to engage in a conversation.

"Yeah, would you happen to know how to help a beginner like me?"

Sojung is not really on her right mind because when the girl chuckled before answering her and leaned up so close to her. (A first time for someone aside from yerin and sinb to be that close to her, heck no one had ever been this close to her because she'd be jumping away far from them because she is that afraid or nervous of intimate contact, even with Eunha because her heart might be thrown out of her chest for constantly beating quickly)

"Well then cutie, you chose the right person to ask."

Sojung let herself be pulled by a girl to that crowded place at the center.

A place where Sojung can never be at.

She felt the hand on her wrist gently pulling her so she looked up, she maybe wanted to thank the stranger for saving her.

She stopped and turned her to glance at her clearly. The image of the girl was blurry, damn the alcohol but nonetheless Sojung wanted to thank her.

"Thank you umm"

"What are you thanking me for? Nayeon's the name by the way, it's actually sad looking at you moping at that corner. You should be enjoying yourself here cutiee but now that I see you are actually tall, cutie may be a bit not suited for you."

Is she asking for my name?

Sojung knew the girl had noticed the change in her expression.

Her goal was to forget she was Sojung and she does not want to be reminded she is Kim Sojung.

"Don't stress yourself about your name, cutie... I'll just stick to that I am only kidding when I said it does not suit you. Height does not deduced ones' cuteness"

She felt her cheeks being patted.

"Thank you Nayeon"

The girl smiled widely that Sojung thought how adorable Nayeon looked even in a blurry state and being illuminated by colorful lgihts above.

"Come on, stop thanking me, cutiee! you deserve to enjoy! but enjoy moderately though."

Sojung can't be sure if she had seen Nayeon winked at her but she laughed seeing the girl hyping her up, holding her hand while jumping.

"Okay okay"

Sure, Nayeon did not pull her out from a deep-level pool, nor save her from a near-death experience such as drowning. But she was sincerely grateful that the girl pushed her mind out of silly thoughts.

Thoughts like maybe dying is so much better than living a life without Eunha.

Nayeon rescued her. Sojung cannot think of anything to make sure the girl get something in return for helping her

But it must be the alcohol that made Sojung leaned in and tried to close the gap between her and Nayeon.

There's no way in hell or any universe that Kim Sojung will be brave enough to kiss someone moreover someone whom she met for the first time.

Maybe, her mission was accomplished.

But, was she really starting to lose herself?

Is it that easy?

Not when she stopped midway as she closed her eyes only to see someone who is not the blurry Nayeon in front of her but a vivid image of Eunha.

Damn it!

Damn it you fool, Kim Sojung!

===