Chapter 1

Circumspect

1. Love is selfish.


Sojung smiled taking a glance at the door at the end of the hall.

She took a brief moment to check herself, to see if there is nothing wrong with her dress before scanning the whole room, the setting, the design and the flower arrangement for her big day.

She smiled even wider when she took notice of how perfect everything seems.

The only thing missing is her wife to be, whom she assumed had taken her own time again to prepare herself. She had gotten used for the younger girl to be late on their dates. She would come to her house and wait for an hour or so before her girl finally shows up.

Love had taught Sojung to be patient especially with the situation she and Eunha had to face.

But she’s happy, she’d go through that again if it means having her, having Eunha by her side for eternity.

And yes, when the door opens, her happiness and forever will begin. The love of her life will be walking down the aisle looking like an angel who came down to earth only to get Sojung trapped by her enthralled beauty and kind heart.

Sojung had her smile on her face the whole time she was standing until the guest starting turning to each other and murmur.

She did not know but she had been waiting for almost an hour and so do the guests.

She looked at them still smiling, hoping they would stop looking at her with a frown and whisper words she would not want to hear. Her parents are casting a worried glance and so she looked at Eunha’s parents who are sitting with their head down.

Her friends’ faces looking at her with a frantic expression, while they seem to be dialing on their phones.

But Sojung remained waiting, she promised she will wait, she promised that to Eunha and she will be disappointed if she would find out Sojung doubted her.

So she stood there until her hopeful glance at the door became blank, her legs are starting to get numbed due to standing for almost 3 hours now. She could not understand what friends were saying or her parents who are pulling her out from her spot. But she stood her ground, she should not move, her Eunha will come. She believes in her.

The guests are slowly escorted outside the room but she remained there blankly staring. She did not know how she managed to speak.

“Could you also please leave?”

She asked her family and friends who had been talking to her non-stop and crying for her and Eunha’s family who had been apologizing and bowing to her again and again.

But Sojung wanted to be left alone.

Her legs gave out when the emptiness bounce on every corner of the room. There was no Eunha at the end of hall. There was no happiness or forever that had welcomed her today. She was all alone, empty and lost. The love of her life did not show at the very place she would promise the eternal happiness she desired for them.

Maybe she had read it wrongly, maybe Eunha wasn’t sure when she told Sojung she is beginning to learn how to love her. Maybe she misunderstood Eunha, maybe the girl did not really like her.

Maybe, Eunha still hates her.

Still angry for what she did.

After all, she brought this mess to herself in the first place.

She stole Eunha. She wanted her and she had used everything to her advantage. Eunha’s family business is on the edge of bankruptcy.

She remembered the day she learned that love is selfish.

“Sojung, are you sure? Are you really going to wish for that?”

“Appa, I will take over the company if you promised me that I am going to get married to Eunha, propose this plan to her family to save their business. In exchange of their daughter you will agree to pick and rebuild their company without taking away their rights over it.”

“What happened to my Sojung?”

“She fell in love, appa and I want Eunha to be mine.”

Sojung gulped down her own tears and the bitterness coming from jealousy as she watched Eunha crying while trapped by someone else’s embrace. Sana, Eunha’s longtime girlfriend, Sojung had her eyes on Eunha ever since the start of her college days and she is aware of the girl’s relationship. They are the perfect couple but she had loved Eunha longer and more than Sana had although of course Eunha had no idea of Sojung existence. Contrary to what might people think from a chaebol daughter, Sojung is timid, shy but intelligent, soft and kind, she was definitely not a selfish person. But her admiration for Eunha had grown into something else, into something too powerful to resist. She cried for the days she knew Eunha was an unattainable wish, a star too bright and too hard to reach.

When she heard Eunha’s parents were struggling to keep their company intact and Eunha being a mess because of it. She knew she needed to do something.

And maybe, she needs this. She needs to be selfish for once. She had to try to turn her wishful thinking of being with Eunha a reality.

She wanted to be that person who will hold Eunha to keep her together and strong.

She knew she had to take this fall because there is no way in hell, she’ll be able to stop her feelings from Eunha.

Sojung had her head down, kneeling to the floor like the world had crashed down on her. She knew it would happen. Eunha will be leaving her but she did not expect for it to happen this later, during their wedding. She pushed through this wedding since Eunha had told her that she likes her and she just had to be a fool to believe that.

She was a fool to hope for it to be true. Eunha was not hers and will never belong to her.

She knew it might happen but damn, she is still hurt.

She cried uncontrollably and her sobs are getting louder and louder, her pain echoes and engulfed the supposed to be vibrant room if only the ceremony continued.

Only if the love of her life opened that door at the end of the hall and walked down the aisle to meet her.

---

“We are really sorry, Sojung we didn’t know Eunha—“

Sojung had enough of their apology, also because she knew it might have been Eunha’s own decision and her parents had nothing do with it.

“Please, it’s fine. You should stop doing that auntie, uncle. I think we all need to rest.”

Sojung, whose eyes were red and had been wearing a pained expression, told them with her voice almost seem to break.

“please, let’s just all go home.”

“Sojung, come home with us”

“Appa, I can manage myself. You don’t have to worry about me, I’m fine.”

“You are clearly not unnie! Come with us!” Yewon her younger sister butted in.

Sojung looked up and saw her friends and family all looking at her.

“Please! Stop giving me those looks! I said I am fine and I want to be alone. Please understand!”

She sighed and proceeded to take the elevator and get to the parking lot.

She successful got into her car.

She would be lying if it took everything she has to stop herself from asking her parents and friends on Eunha’s whereabouts if they found out something about her. But she’s too disoriented, too sad, too empty and too broken to do that.

But of course, she’s worrying on where Eunha could be so she did another foolish thing. She wants to know if Eunha is okay despite of what happened today. Of course, she loves her; she worries for her safety even if her bride-to-be ran away from her and left a hole in her heart.

“Jihyo”

She spoke on her phone.

“Yes, Ma’am?”

She’s glad that her secretary did not have that pity nor depressing tone to welcome her since she was one of the guests earlier.

“Find Eunha, do everything to find her. I just want to make sure she’s fine.”

“Will do, Ms. Kim”

“Thank you”

“Rest well, Ms. Kim”

She dropped her phone and sped up so she could get to her home fast.

---

“I can’t believe Eunha unnie would have the guts to do it! She fcking left Sojung unnie at the altar!”

SinB growled and disappointment was all over her tone.

“What had gotten into Eunha to do this to someone who loves her?”

Yerin shook her head and sat beside SinB who had her hand cover her face but leaned her head to Yerin’s shoulder. She can’t bear to see her Sojung unnie like that.

All broken and hard to say when she’s going to get fixed.

“Did Eunha even say something odd to you Yuju?”

Yerin turned towards the girl who had been silent the whole time.

“No, unnie. I’m sure Eunha had been starting to catch feelings for Sojung unnie, so I don’t really get why she did this. Maybe, she had her reasons but I don’t know if that would be enough to justify what she did today. I can’t even look at Sojung unnie after what my best friend did to her.”

“Reasons? Catching feelings for unnie? I bet Eunha unnie had been spitting those lies to hurt my unnie even more!”

A voice suddenly interrupted their conversation; Yewon had found her way in to where they are.

“Yewon!”

“What?! It’s true, Yerin unnie. Eunha unnie is a liar!”

Yerin tried to calm her down. Yewon was glaring at Yuju and Yerin stood up and was there in between to stop what might happen but maybe, she is powerless to do so.

Yuju turned to Yerin and SinB asking them silently to leave Yewon and her alone.

“Okay, please talk but don’t fight. Yewon-ah, we are all upset okay? Please don’t let this disrupt whatever is in between you and Yuju."

But Yewon only looked away, she was too angry and hurt. Yeirn pulled SinB up from the sofa so Yuju and Yewon will be alone.

“Yewon please..”

Yuju called and tried to hold the younger girl’s hand. They were not official yet but they had been seeing each other for quite some time. To see Yewon hurt like this, of course, Yuju is angry at her best friend but she tries to understand why her best friend would do such thing.

“Yewon-ah, I know it might not be the right thing to say. But maybe, Eunha do have some reasons for leaving and no, not because she is lying about liking Sojung unnie.”

“For all I know, you could also be lying to me just like your best friend! You just wanted Sojung unnie to learn her lesson. Am I part of Eunha unnie’s revenge? Did she tell you to take me out and get to know me so I could also be hurt?”

“What?! Of course not, Yewon! I like you for real! There’s no revenge, Eunha would not do such thing.”

“Unnie we all know exactly how Sojung and Eunha unnie started, you also hated Sojung unnie at first, didn’t you? Both you and Eunha unnie might just be plotting all of this to make sure unnie pays for what she’d done; I can’t believe I didn’t see this coming. You both are liars! I hate –“

She could not finish her sentence because Yuju had slapped her in the face, Yuju’s eyes were b with tears. But the latter was surprised when she realized what she had done. She hurt Yewon.

She tried to check the girl but Yewon was moving away from her with her hands on her left cheek.

“I’m sorry, Yewon-ah. I did not mean to, please I’m sorry. You are not in the right state of mind to talk now, maybe we’ll do it some other time. I understand that your emotions are all over the place and you don’t mean what you are saying.”

Yuju tried to approach Yewon again but the girl looked straight at her and was not letting her get close.

“No, I mean those words I have been saying. I hate you and Eunha unnie for doing this. You might have an idea on where she could even be right now. I hate you unnie and I want you get out of my life too!”

Yewon walked out of the room and Yuju’s life.

Yuju sat on the floor, Yewon might have been right, she may have an idea where Eunha is now and she hates herself that she didn’t retaliate enough when Yewon had been accusing her that she was lying about her feelings.

Because the truth is, she is falling for Yewon and she had been delaying her confession because she’s not certain if the younger feels the same or maybe, Yewon’s just obliged by her Sojung unnie to go out with her to make sure she wins the best friend of the girl she’d been admiring for so long.

But she knew, Sojung was not that type of a person. She could not even believe that Sojung was the one who forced Eunha to that arrangement. Yuju had given her blessing to Sojung when she finally realized the girl might have just been too in love with her best friend to do such things and so, she had learned to befriend Sojung because it was not hard to do so. The girl was nice, down to earth and pretty, at some point she felt pity over her best friend because Sojung is that ‘one in a million’ a ‘one of a kind’ and to not even notice such person would really be a loss.

She’s definitely falling in love with Yewon but she knew her best friend and Sojung’s situation could do damage to her and Yewon. That is also one of her reasons for not confessing soon. She had actually planned it to do days after the wedding just to make sure her best friend will not screw her own love life but damn, Eunha was the real idiot for doing this mess.

I lost my chance, I thought you also want me to be happy Eunha-ya? Now that I found her, I lost her because of you.

---

Sojung went home to her unit.

Her home where Eunha most of the time stays, the two of them had been spending time together in Sojung’s penthouse since they are working under the same company with Sojung being the CEO and Eunha working as one of the models and designer for a subsidiary listed under their business.

Sojung suddenly wanted to cry, as she choked a little when she smelled a bit of Eunha’s scent inside.

Damn it!

For her to cry like a kid, this giant might have been wounded really badly.

She stood up and went to kitchen, opened the cabinet where she remembered Eunha likes to place her beloved alcohol. Yes, it was Eunha who loves to drink but Sojung was never fond of it.

Alcohol makes you a senseless person.

She really did not particularly like that Eunha drowned herself with it but she let her be because she knew the girl was having a hard time because of her.

True enough, Eunha hated her. Well, Sojung assumed now that Eunha still hates her.

Eunha broke up with Sana because she was sold to Sojung. That is what Eunha would like to think of the situation, Sojung found it out when the girl was too drunk to filter the words she’d been saying to her. Too angry to hold back, she felt like she was being sold to her in order to save her family’s business.

So Sojung promised to herself to not ever make Eunha think of herself that way, she’ll do everything to make Eunha happy. Even though she is well aware that she is the one who proposed the idea of having Eunha in exchange of helping her family’s business to rebuild. She remembered those days when Eunha was so guarded around her, always flinching every time she tries to do something for her. Sojung wanted to cry, it is as if Eunha hated her from the bottom of her heart and kept on being distant to her.

Sojung chuckled as she pours the alcohol to her glass. She wanted to forget what happened earlier.

Please let everything that happened today a dream.

She drinks until she was not sure whether the bitter taste was coming from the alcohol or her tears.

====