Conflicting Feelings

Bittersweet Romance (Minhyuk X Reader)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Bittersweet Romance

Chapter 3:

Conflicting Feelings

 

The sun’s ray gently shone through your room’s window and the glass door, warming up the room and livening up the atmosphere. It was quiet and serene in the room, however, there was a small muffle of music coming from your bathroom. You were listening to music as you showered and was just now done. As you finished up your shower and quickly dressed, you open the door of your bathroom and ruffled your hair dry with a small towel. Walking into your warm room, you pause the music on your phone and sit down quietly on the bed. You sit there mindlessly drying your hair until you look over at your study desk and see the Rilakkuma bear you won yesterday sitting nice and dry on the table.

 

You sit there silently as you stared at the bear and remember the events of last night.

 

Flashback:

 

The rain was pouring down onto you as you trudged yourself off into the direction of your parents’ home. You were tired, cold, and depressed. After what you had witnessed and realized, you didn’t have the will to face Minhyuk anymore. Thankfully, it wasn’t raining too hard, just casually raining, so you could see at least five feet in front of yourself and knew where you were going. Even with that bit of safety relief, you were still out of it and didn’t want to meet anyone anymore. You also had to worry about how you were to explain to your parents about you coming home all wet and alone. Might as well think of an excuse as you walk home to get your mind off of things.

 

As you were about to turn into an alleyway that led to a shortcut to your parent’s home, you hear a car pull up behind you and stop with a small screech. You paused and turn around to the car. The headlights and fogginess of the rain made it hard to see who was in the car. You stared at it in suspicion and backed away. “Who…?” You were about to ignore it and return to your route, until someone quickly came out of the car and pulled out an umbrella. The person immediately rushed around the car and over to you, the person then quickly hovered the umbrella over you and you immediately recognize his face.

 

“Young Mistress, are you okay?” The man asked as he looked down at you worriedly. You stared at him shocked and confused as you nod your head. “Y-Yes. I am fine, Jun.” You replied to Minhyuk’s bodyguard. You had no idea why he was here and why he was helping you. At that thought, you realized he was here and that Minhyuk may potentially be here. You took a few steps back in fear, and almost trip. However, Jun managed to catch you and wrap his arm around your waist to support you. “Young Mistress, you must be careful!” He cautioned. You gasped at his touch and avoid eye-contact. “I-I am sorry…” You stuttered out as you try to compose yourself and motion him to let you go. When he does, you bow and continue to keep away eye-contact.

 

“Young Mistress, come, I will take you home.” He told as he motioned you toward the car. You stared at the vehicle fearful and didn’t budge. If Minhyuk was inside, you didn’t want to meet him. You wanted to avoid him at all costs. “Young Master Minhyuk isn’t with me, Young Mistress.” He said as though reading your mind. You looked up at him in shock and he gently smiled and nodded. “Please. We wouldn’t want you in this cold rain any longer.”

 

Slowly, you nod, and walk toward the car. Jun quickly followed and opened the door for you. You step in and is immediately engulfed in the warmth of the heat from the heater in the car. Jun closed the door as you comforted yourself into the vehicle, he then hurried around the car to the driver’s seat. Once he got inside, he had already closed the umbrella and set it aside. You huffed in slight relief as you set your purse and stuffed toy in the empty seat beside you. As you looked up, Jun had already had his arm out with a towel for you to dry off with. You nod to him in thanks and take it from him, then wiping your face and hair with it. Luckily, your make-up was water proof, so no smudges were to be found.

 

“I will be taking you home now.” Jun told as he started the engine and began to drive off. You kept quiet for the whole ride and just tried to dry yourself and avoid making a mess in the car. It was about ten more minutes until you reached your parent’s home, and when you did, you sat there a little hesitant and fearful.

 

“Young Mistress, if I may…” Jun suddenly spoke. You looked up and over to him curiously. Jun looked at you through the review mirror and sighed. “I’d like to apologize for my Young Master’s behavior. As well as…” He paused and sighed once more, looking stressed and disappointed. You looked at him and wondered, did he too know about Minhyuk’s lover? Jun then spoke again. “For what you had witnessed. I understand it may have been troubling and shocking.” He apologized. You stared at him wide-eyed. So, he did know. He was most likely secretly following Minhyuk in case of emergency and saw what happened. Of course, he would. He was Minhyuk’s personal bodyguard. He was like Lian. You had a feeling he had been with Minhyuk for a long time to be his personal bodyguard.

 

You were quiet for a while and wondered to yourself. So, Minhyuk’s situation was known to his own bodyguard, and from the conversation a while ago, by his own parents too. You sighed at the thought and clenched your hands on the now soaked towel in your lap. Jun then spoke up. “I will talk to Minhyuk about this issue. So please don’t worry.” He said. You shook your head and forced a small smile. “Don’t worry. I…” you paused and sighed, “I sorta know why and how he feels. It’s something that can’t be helped. The both of us, didn’t choose to do this.” You said with a sad tone in your voice. It was true. Minhyuk and you had no say in this situation, and you had no right to be mad at him for loving someone. Although this was a predicament you hadn’t expected, you knew that arranged marriage was not going to be easy. You sighed and swallowed in your emotions. “Minhyuk-ssi… has his reasons. I have no right to be mad.” You said as you take your purse and bear into your hands.

 

You were about to leave, until Jun had spoke up. “Minhyuk… is struggling a lot.” He spoke. You paused and take in his words. “I am thankful that Young Mistress Y/N is able to understand his situation.” He thanked as he bowed toward you. You smiled gently and bowed back. However, he spoke again but with a much more serious tone. “However, Minhyuk shouldn’t have left you alone. I will have to discipline him.” Your smile slowly fell as he said those words, however, you put back the smile and chuckled awkwardly. “It’s okay.” You reassured. He sighed and spoke once more. “If you’d like, I can explain to your parents—”

 

“I will make something up.” You interrupt, knowing well what he was going to say next. He looked at you confused. “I’ll just tell them the two of us had too much fun that we lost track of time and got caught in the rain. Minhyuk wanted to send me home but had to return home first for a personal matter and I agreed to go home alone. It was a mutual understanding.” You explained. Jun stared at you in guilt and shock. You just smiled and bowed. “I don’t want Minhyuk to get in trouble. It will be a secret from my parents. Don’t worry.” You told. It took a few minutes for Jun to accept and acknowledge the lie, but he did, and you bid him farewell.

 

“Thank you for sending me home, Jun.” You said as you unbuckle your seatbelt and walk out of the car. By this time, the rain had already stopped, and you were okay without an umbrella. As you walked away, Jun had drove off and you were alone at the front door of your parent’s home. As you stood at the door, you nervously clenched the bear in your arms and dialed in the home security code to get in. You luckily remembered it and your parents hadn’t changed it since you left.

 

With a beep and two clicks, the door unlocked, and you walked into the house, hoping to walk through safely and into the shower. However, the second you reached the living room, your parents were waiting there patiently with Lian by their side. Your mother had spotted you first and quickly rushed to you with worried eyes. “Oh my gosh?! What happened? You’re soaked?” She gasped as she examined you head to toe. You smiled meekly and shook your head. “I am fine mother.”

 

You proceeded to tell her the lie you made up earlier to her and managed to convince both your parents that everything went fine. With them convinced, you managed to slip away and head straight to your room to shower and change. After your shower, you walked out and changed into a warm pair of sleepwear that your mother had bought for you for your stay. You sighed as you sat down on the bed and looked over at the wet clothes and the wet bear you had on a towel on your study desk. You stared at them and replay the events of earlier in your head.

 

Minhyuk’s cold shoulder to you, his girlfriend, and everything, was so frustrating to think about, but you couldn’t do anything about it. You cupped your face into your hands as you sat there tired and confused. After a few minutes, someone had knocked on your door and walked in. It was Lian. You compose yourself and looked up at her as she entered and strolled over to your wet clothes and bear. She stared at them for a minute and then pointed to the bear. “Did you get this yourself? Or did Young Master Minhyuk get this for you?” She asked. You didn’t say anything for a minute but forced a smile and sighed. “I was trying to get it myself, but Minhyuk-ssi helped me.” You explained. She nodded and picked it up, examining it carefully and gently. She then looked at you and frowned.

 

“You can lie to your parents and to the world, even yourself, but you can’t lie to me, Young Lady.” She said as she stared you down in disappointment. You stared at her in shock as your smiled died down. You were caught. You pretty much knew Lian would find out, though. Sighing, you faced away from her and wrapped your arms around your waist. Lian walked up next to you, bear still in hand, and sighed.

 

“Your parents are asleep. Now tell me, what really happened?” She asked sternly. You were silent for a while, wondering whether to answer or not. But, it was Lian, she would eventually find out, or beat the truth out of you. So, you sighed in defeat and obliged to her. “Minhyuk-ssi…” You began. The feeling of guilt and displeasure returned inside of you as you remembered the event and you paused. Breathing out slowly, you talk again. “Minhyuk-ssi, doesn’t like me. And… he has a girlfriend.” You said. This absolutely shocked Lian and she stared at you in disbelief. “W-What?”

 

You proceed to explain to her the events of that evening and explained to her how you felt. At the end of it all, Lian looked less shocked and more sad.

 

“Young lady…” She said as she looked at you in pity. You saw the look in her eyes and scoffed. “Don’t look at me like that, Lian. It’ll only make me feel worse.” You said as you turn around and lay onto your bed tiredly. She continued to watch as you wrap the blanket around your body and sigh. “Please dry the bear for me. It must feel miserable being all wet and yucky.” You told her as you cuddled yourself into bed. Lian sighed and nodded as she took the bear and your wet clothing with her as she exited your room. But, before she left, she stopped at the door and looked back at you. “Young Mistress… will this be okay for you?” She asked. You didn’t answer as you thought over the situation.

 

This wasn’t the best situation to be in as someone who is in an arranged marriage, to be honest. You knew this was going to be tough and annoying. Maybe even painful, but you couldn’t do much about it. Minhyuk loved her. You could tell from the way he acted with her and by his words. She too was heavily in love with him. You had no right to interfere. You had to just go along and hope that you wouldn’t be involved too much. If worse comes to worse, you would have to change your partner and let Minhyuk go. Which for you, would be no problem.

 

“I can always change my partner. Minhyuk… is just one of the many suitors’ mother and father have for me, I am sure.” You answered. Lian looked stunned at your answer but didn’t say anything more. She bid you goodnight and turned off your light for you. You were left alone in the dark, pondering over your life and how this was going to be a rough start to a marriage. “It’s going to be okay…” You assure yourself. “Okay…”

 

End Flashback.

 

Back to the present, you walked over to the stuffed toy and stared at it sadly. “I don’t know how I feel about you anymore.” You frowned as you noogied the toy and placed it on your desk. Staring at it a little more, you sighed and walked off, out of your room, and into the hallway leading to the stairways down to the living room. You quietly strolled down the stairs and into the kitchen, clearly expecting your parents to not be there and began to search for food. “Breakfast is ready in the dining room, Young Lady.” Lian spoke as she walked out of the large pantry. You flinched at her sudden appearance and turn to her. “O-Oh. Okay.” You watched as she placed down a jar of cherries onto the kitchen counter and opened it with ease. “What are you making?” You asked as you watched her pour the cherries into a colander and wash the fruits. She smiled and just continued to clean them. “I will tell you later. Go on and eat.” She said. You frowned at her and pouted as you walked away and into the dining room.

 

Inside, there was only one spot of the table occupied with a plate and some food. You sighed at the sight and slowly walked over to the spot. “I guess I am eating alone… again.” You sat down and stared at the food. It was some warm blueberry pancakes, bacon, sausage, and eggs. The typical breakfast. You pouted and began to eat as you silently observed your surroundings. How long has it been since you ate here? Of course, you ate here yesterday by yourself, but you were too tired to process it. Now, you were awake and conscious. It has been a while. A long while.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter