Announcement

Bittersweet Romance (Minhyuk X Reader)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 1:

Announcement

“Have a nice day, guys!” One of your co-workers bid farewell as she walked out of the female locker-room. A few of the other girls that were still in the room, replied back to her with “goodbyes” and low hums. You on the other-hand, just sighed and locked your locker up tightly. One of the girls beside you, who was actually a friend of yours, looked at you with curiosity. “What’s with that sigh?” She asked. You slowly face your head to her and stare at her with eyes of envy and disappointment. She tilted her head in confusion at your actions. “What’s with that look?” She frowned.

 

You sighed once more and grabbed your bag on the nearby bench. Tossing it over your shoulder, you forced a small smile and shook your head. “It’s nothing. I’m just tired.” You fibbed. She stared at you, seeming to not have bought your lie, but just sighed and crossed her arms. “Today was busy. Rest when you get home,” she placed a gentle but firm hand on your shoulder and smiled, “You have a week off work don’t ya?” She grinned. You smiled and nodded. “Yeah, thank you, Mi-yeong.”

 

She smiled and pat your arm. “I’ll text you later?” She asked as she motioned her hands like she was texting on a phone. You nodded and began to step back and walk out of the locker-room. “Have a goodnight everyone.” You bid farewell.

 

 

As you stepped out of the large café that you worked for, you took a huge breath of air and exhaled out exaggeratedly. The sun was just about to set, and the town folk were hustling to get home. The sounds of cars driving by, people mumbling, and machinery slowly shutting down, signaled the ending of the day. Your surroundings were slowly relaxing for the next day as you began to walk toward the bus stop.

 

Today, was just another normal day for you. You woke up from sleep, got ready, ate, and headed out to work. You clocked in, changed into the café attire, served customers, took orders, and cleaned for about six hours. Then you clocked out, changed, and here you are now. Sitting at the bus stop, wondering how you will spend the nice break off work for the next week. Honestly, you didn’t expect that you would get a break this long. Your boss just asked you to come in the past Monday and told you: ‘Hey! Imma give you a week off next week, how’s that sound? You’ve worked hard for the past two years you’ve worked here and you’ve never taken a break. I am happy to give you the break!”

 

Obviously, you took it, knowing full well that this may be the only chance you could have such a nice vacation and that you were free for a whole week. No appointments, no work, and no trouble. You were free and was finally able to breathe a little. However, deep in your heart, you knew you weren’t safe from the stress yet. There was one thing that stressed you out the most. It would never let you sleep peacefully and never let you be happy. It was long-term issue that, since you were 16 years-old, haunted your heart.

 

The terrible: Arranged Marriage.

 

Yes, your parents, since the day you turned 16 years-old, had planned for you to be in an arranged marriage once you turned 24. They had constantly reminded you of this since and have been trying to look for a suitor. The reason for this was out of so-called “love” as they did not want you falling for some ruffian and getting hurt. It is what they said anyway. Truth is, they didn’t want you to end up like your older sister. Your sister, Yura. Yura was a young and beautiful girl. She was six years older than you and had a great reputation as the eldest of your family. Everyone loved her. However, things took a turn when she turned 18. Yura had fallen in love with a man who didn’t have the best reputation as a person. He was a sort of delinquent, bad-boy, and so-called “playboy”. Your parents heavily disapproved of their relationship, but, Yura didn’t obliged. She refused to break-up with him and was constantly fighting with your parents. It then ended up to them kicking her out of the house and “disowning” her. Yura, although heartbroken to leave you, left and went to live with her lover.

 

It was painful to see your sister that you loved so much just leave and become almost a nobody to your own parents. You didn’t know what to say or do. You merely watched on silently as the days went by and the memories of your happy family had gradually faded. And the day that you turned 16, your parents announced to you that: “You will never be like your sister. You will marry who we choose and be truly happy!”

 

And from that day on, you lived life knowing fully well that you’d never see the light of day as a female in love. Of course, it was hard as a teen to grasp the idea that you were not going to find true love. You felt a sense of resentment toward your parents and your sister. However, you never spoke of it aloud and at the same time, felt bad about the thoughts. It was by pure good intentions; your parents wanted the best for you… even if it wasn’t what you wanted.

 

You were going to marry someone you never met, someone you never loved, someone who would never love you. It was going to be a lonely and awkward “love-life”.

 

Yet, here you are, exactly 24 years-old and just waiting for the day that your parents will phone you and say: “Y/N, come meet your husband”. You sighed sadly at the thought and stared up into the sky. It was slightly cloudy, and the colors of orange and purple painted the sky as the sun set and the moon was to rise once more. You stared and awed at how lovely the sky was, how vibrant it was, how peaceful it was, how it was exactly the opposite of you.

 

Suddenly, the sound of the bus driving up to the stop interrupts your thoughts. The vehicle ceases in front of you with a loud wheeze and screech, notifying you that it had arrived. You shake out of your thoughts and huffed as you stood from your spot. “Let’s just go home and rest.” You tell yourself as you sighed and began to walk into the large vehicle. “I’ll worry about it when it comes.”

 

You hopped onto the bus and quickly sat down in an empty seat near the back of the bus. Luckily, the bus was almost empty, so there was no crowd. You lazily, plop down and stare aimlessly through the window. You didn’t want to think about it. About the nearing future of you having to marry a complete stranger. You dreaded it so much, but what could you do? You didn’t want to disappoint your family anymore. You didn’t want to be labeled the second mistake.

 

Your thoughts began to wander as the ride home trailed on. After about ten more minutes, you arrived at your destination and hopped off, walking into the large alleyway toward your apartment. It was a normal and modern apartment that kept you warm and comfy. It was your safe-haven since you moved out of your parent’s home after college. You quickly walk over to the entrance of the building and opened the door to the lobby. The sun had set already, and you didn’t want to linger outside for too long.

 

You then took the elevator up to your floor and walked out at floor 4. As usual, you approached your apartment door, put in the password key, opened the door, walked in, locked the door, and proceeded to head to your bedroom. It was a long day, so you were terribly tired. You also didn’t feel like eating, so you skipped out on dinner and headed straight to your bathroom to shower and get ready for bed. It was a relaxing but quick shower, afterwards, you changed into some comfortable PJ’s.

 

With a loud huff, you immediately plopped down onto your bed and let out a sigh of relief. “I missed you, bed” You cooed as you flipped over onto your stomach and caressed your bed. “We can finally be together, and I can finally rest for once.” You smiled as you snuggled your head into the sheets. Your conscious slowly began to fade as your body slowly shut down. The serenity and comfort of your bed was de-stressing you. You could feel the sleepiness overpower you.

 

However, before you could knock-out and fall into a peaceful dreamland, your phone suddenly rang and re-woke you up. You groaned into the sheets and sighed. Who would be calling you right now? You waited for a second to see if it was just going to stop, but it didn’t. So, you sat back up and leaned over to the bedside counter and took your phone. The ID read: “Mom”. This immediately perked you up and your heart sunk, a chill rode your spine. Goosebumps scattered your skin and you froze. “Mom? What is she calling for suddenly?” You questioned. “Was it for…?”

 

You gulped in and stared at the screen. You didn’t want to answer if the reason was for the marriage. But, she was your mother. You had to answer. So, slowly, you pressed the green answer button and answered the call; however still fearful of why your mother called. As soon as you picked up, the cheery and motherly voice of your mother greeted you.

 

“Y/N!” She happily greeted. You smile in slight grimace as you replied to her with a low hello. “Y/N? How are you?” She asked. You shift in your spot and let yourself lay comfortably against the head of your bed and the pillows. “I’m doing well.” You answer. You could tell that your mother seemed pleased, and she let out a small laugh. “That’s great, honey! Do you have any plans for this weekend?” She asked suddenly. You felt your gut churn and clenched the phone in fear. Was this the start of it? Was this the start of her getting you to come over and meet your new husband. Did they already have one for you? You could feel every cell in your body shrivel and sting as you thought of the possibilities. However, you refused to let your emotions overpower you. It had to happen eventually. So, you took a breath in and answered her. “No, I’m free this weekend.” You tell.

 

She let out an excited gasp and you could tell she was smiling by the way she spoke to you. “Y/N! That’s great!” She cheered. “Your father and I have missed you so much and want to see you! But, our car is going for maintenance tomorrow, so do you mind visiting?” She asked. You bend your knees up to your chest, hugging them to you, and think over what she said. “Tomorrow?” You questioned. She hummed in reply. “Yep.”

 

“Can’t you just wait until after and come here?’ You asked, wanting to avoid heading back home; since, you may eventually never come back because of what you may fear would happen.

 

“I am sorry, sweetie. But, your father and I have plans after tomorrow.” She explained. You grew suspicious of her once she had said that. They never set up plans on a Sunday. Never. But, you couldn’t really oppose them, so you just sighed and agreed to visit tomorrow. At your answer, your mother cheered in delight. “Ahh! Yes, great! Well then, I will see you tomorrow?” Your mother beamed. You unconsciously nod and sighed. “I’ll be over by noon.” Your mother agreed and the two of you hung up.

 

Once you placed your phone down, you groaned and shoved your face into the pillows. You had a good feeling why she wanted you to go over at such a random and urgent time. Just when you thought you would have some peace before then. It had already come. Your arranged marriage.

 

 

The next day…

 

You let out a sad sigh as you stared at the large mirror in front of you and fixed the collar of your denim jacket. You looked over your outfit and nodded in approval. You had on a light white tee, dark blue skinny leans, and the light blue denim jacket. You also had on knee-high brown boots to compliment the attire. A comfortable Autumn attire for the day. With another nod of approval, you turn around and grabbed your bag and phone. You turned off the light and head out the door of your apartment, locking it right after you closed it. You took a breath of air and stared at the metal door in sadness.

 

“I may not be able to see you again after today.” You mumble to your apartment. Clenching the door handle, you sighed and then released it. “Here we go.” You turn back around and began walking toward the elevators. Taking them down to the first floor, you watch as the numbers changed. A mini countdown to when you will leave this building and step outside, meeting the open world and facing reality. You then looked down at your phone and checked the time: 9:25 a.m. You then take out your headphones and plug them into the aux. “It’s gonna be a far ride, might as well listen to music to calm my nerves.” You tell yourself.

 

Once you tapped the shuffle button, the elevator doors opened, and you stepped out of them. You walked out and exited the building, immediately being exposed to the chilly fall breeze. You huffed and looked up at the sky, it was a gloomy grey with bits of sunlight sneaking out of the cracks of the clouds. Looking back forward, you stuffed your phone into your jacket pocket and continue to walk toward the bus station.

 

As you trailed down the alleyway and across the small streets, you admired every detail of the buildings and nature around you. The little convenience store at the corner, the flower stall near the laundry-mat, the fish-cake stall at the far end of the street, the playground in the middle of the neighborhood filled with energetic children, the retirement home near the grocery store, the little forest behind the park, and even the rustic homes that neighbored each other only inches away were all so peaceful and lovely. It was a serene and peaceful neighborhood. You loved it here. The people were nice, the rent was really good, the atmosphere was gentle, and it was not too

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter