First Impression

Bittersweet Romance (Minhyuk X Reader)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Bittersweet Romance

Chapter 2

First Impressions

“Y/N”

“Y/N-ah!”

“Y/N-ah! Wake up!”

 

You groaned in annoyance as the person who was trying to wake you up continued to shake you awake. Sleepily, you turn to your side to face away from the person and hide under your blanket. The person continued to try to shake you up and the volume of her voice was getting louder. “Y/N-ah!!! Y/N-ah!!!” She nearly shouted as you continued to ignore her voice. You groan loudly in frustration and nuzzled deeper into the pillows and blankets. The person had enough of your nonsense however, and immediately pulled the blanket off of you with all of her force, leaving you bear to the chilly room air.

 

You shivered once the slightest of chilly wind hit you and whine in annoyance. You try to keep warm by snuggling into the pillows and bedsheets, but nothing was working. The person then begun shaking you up again. “Y/N-AH! FOR GOODNESS SAKE WAKE UP!” At the sound of the person’s booming voice, you immediately perk up and sit upwards, still droopy however. “O-Okay! I am up! I-I’m up!” You say in defense as you rub your face in exhaustion. The person was Lian the housemaid, and she immediately sighed in relief as you sat there droopily. Lian is a 43-year-old woman, who wasn’t too tall but neither too short, brown curly hair, sharp features, strong both mentally and physically, and was intelligent. Lian had worked for your family for a long time and was the head maid in the house. She was also in a way, your personal maid. She knew very well the situation and circumstances of the household. Clearly being present during the whole Yura incident and knew that this day would come. She also knew you well.

 

“Your parents told me that if you didn’t wake up, I had the authority to use force.” She explained. You sighed and rubbed your eyes in defeat, looking at her in annoyance as well. “Is that so…?” You say in a hoarse voice. She nodded and walked over to the balcony doors. The curtains were closed, however, with a simple fluid pull, Lian had opened up the curtains and allowed the bright morning sun to illuminate the room. You retract from the brightness and cover your eyes. The sun was pretty much shining right through your room and you groan. “I appreciate the light, Lian, but that’s a little too much.” You complained.

 

Lian chuckled and walked over to you with a smirk. “The light helps with energy. You are going to need lots of it for today.” She informed. Once she said that, you removed your hand from your face and look at her in realization. “Oh yeah…”

 

That’s right, today was the day. You had to meet your fiancée this afternoon. You had briefly forgotten the events from yesterday, letting them slip your mind. The event in which you were told that you were now getting married. You sighed at the thought and fall back onto the bed. You pretty much thought you had your emotions under control, but as time continues to shorten for you, the nerves and resentment began to strengthen. You literally are seeing your fiancée this afternoon. And you were told this not even more than 24 hours ago.

 

“Lian…” You called out to her. She was busy setting up the make-up on your work desk but replied to you with a hum. “Hmm?”

 

You placed your arm over your forehead and stared up the ceiling. “Is…” You paused, trying to organize your words into your head. You were just so conflicted in your heart that it was still kind of hard to process that you’re being wedded soon. “Lian, you’ve worked for my family for over 15 years…” You began. She nodded in agreement to your words, “Yes I have”.

 

You bite your lower lip and sighed. “Is… is this really necessary?” You asked. Lian froze, paused what she was doing, and turned to you. She stood there a little taken aback, however, her eyes also showed of pity and sadness.

 

Lian sighed and walked over to you, staring at you in concern. “Y/N, you know exactly why this has to be.” She told. You immediately sat up and stared her with a confused expression. “I know why, but is it necessary? Is it necessary that I have to marry someone? That I have to do this just because—” You paused and stared at her frustrated. You carefully think out your words and clenched the bedsheets. “Just cuz mom and dad hated Yura.” You finished.

 

Lian looked at you with a sad expression and sighed. “Y/N…” She paused and closed her eyes, trying to be careful with her words. She then reopened them and looked at you. “Hurry and shower. I need to get you ready for later.” She finally said. You stared at her, knowing fully well that this was going to happen, and just nodded. “Okay…” You stood from the bed and walked toward the bathroom, head low. However, when you reached the door, you paused and looked back at her. “Lian.” You called out to her. She looked at you in reply. You open your mouth to speak but pause, looking down to the floor sadly and sighed. “If you were Yura… would you have done the same? Would you… “You paused again. Looking back up at her, you stared at her hoping for an honest answer. “Would you have left for your lover too?”

 

Lian didn’t speak for a while. She merely looked at you with sad eyes and stood silent. You took it as a sign that maybe you shouldn’t have asked. So, you turned back around and begin to enter the bathroom, until she finally spoke. “Yes.” She answered. You froze and let her words sink in. “Yes. I would’ve left.”

 

You clenched the door knob tightly and winced at the thought. “Of course you would…” You mumbled as you stepped into the bathroom and closed the door behind you.

 

 

After taking a shower, you had head downstairs to eat breakfast. Oddly, your parents weren’t at breakfast. You were too tired and frustrated to ask about their whereabouts and ate breakfast alone. Afterwards, you were hurried back upstairs to your room and immediately dressed up.

 

It took almost an hour or more before you were all ready. Lian and the other maids were keen on making you look gorgeous and presentable to your new in-laws. It was a painstaking long hour as your had begun to ache from sitting in the seat too long for the makeup and your head ached from them tugging at your hair the entire time. You also got frustrated at the constant tugging and pulling of your body around as they dressed you. It was over eventually, and you sat down in your desk chair in relief.

 

You sighed as you hooked on your earrings and stared into the mirror in front of you. One of the maids came up behind you and looked at you through the mirror in awe. “Miss Y/N! You look absolutely gorgeous!” She smiled. You stared at yourself and grinned slightly. “I do, don’t I?” It had been so long since you ever dressed up so nicely like this. The lovely white blouse carefully complimented your torso, the silver waist skirt with large folds comfortably emphasized your waist, the tight but comforting black leggings that fit your legs, the delicate but expressive makeup was fitting to your complexion, and the gentle pearl jewelry that complement your entire outfit, they were all almost so perfect. The white heals however, were a bit of a pain, but you’d get used to it. You awed at how well it all suited you. Is this how they were going to see you for the first time as? As someone you many never return to look like? You looked down at your lap and picked at your nails that were just recently done. This was going to be all so new to you, all so fresh and new.

 

Sighing once more, you let out the nerves a little and stood up, looking at the clock on your bedside counter. “11:06 a.m.” You then looked at Lian who had just walked in. She had on a totally different attire than earlier. She had on a slick black suit and her hair was tied up into a tight pony-tail. You stared at her curiously, wondering why she was in such a professional attire. “What? You’re going to be my new security guard or something?” You joked. She smiled and crossed her arms. “In fact, yes I am.” She told you with a confident grin. Your smile fell, and you stared at her in shock. “What?”

 

“We should get going?” She points out the door. You stared at her for a few seconds in disbelief. Lian was now your bodyguard and maid? You couldn’t believe it. Everything was going by so fast! After letting the info sink in, you slowly walk out of the room and down the stairs to the living room quarters. Once you stepped into the room, Lian was already right behind you and tapped your shoulder. You turned to her curiously. “Yes?”

 

“Your parents had gone out for a business meeting and told me to tell you that they will meet you at the restaurant where you will meet the Lee family.” She informed. You nodded and turned back to your initial stance, facing the hallway that led to the front door exit. “It’s fine with me. I don’t think I need mother’s nagging about etiquettes and whatnot in my ear the whole ride to the place. It would only further irritate my nerves.” You said as you walked on toward the exit. Lian smiled in amusement and snickered. “Of course, my lady.”

 

 

It wasn’t a too long ride from your parent’s home to the restaurant. It was just about 20 minutes from their place and you were glad. However, the restaurant was a very fancy and basically filled with rich people. You were reluctant to step in, finding all this fancy and expensive lifestyle was way too much for you. But, you also felt a sense of sadness. Once you had stepped out of the car, you looked up at the building and stared at the logo banner. You had been here before. A lot actually when you were a kid. But, the building was a lot smaller and wasn’t too popular back then. They seemed to have added more stories and expanded the surrounding area. Your heart ached as you examined the place and the memories you had thought you had forgotten had returned.

 

This place. This place was the last place you had spent time with Yura. The day before she had left, she had brought you here to spend your last time together. You clenched your fists and stared at the building, fighting a tear. You could remember clearly. You were just 12. You knew your parents had been yelling at Yura and saying nonsense about kicking her out, but you were never sure they meant it. You had no idea she was actually going to leave you forever. No idea. You spent your last day with her in bliss, you smiled, you laughed, you felt so happy, and so did she. At least you thought she was. She did so well in hiding her pain, or you were just too naïve to notice. Whatever the case, that was the last time you saw her. She just up and left the next day with an apology letter to you. You were hurt, you felt betrayed. But, what could you have done? Nothing. You couldn’t do anything, because you were just a kid. A kid, who was helpless and useless. A kid, that couldn’t disobey her parents.

 

“Young lady?” Lian called out to you. You swallowed in your pain and painted a fake expression onto your face. Looking away from the building and toward Lian, who was beside you, you forced a smile, assuring her you were okay and began to walk into the restaurant. As you stepped in, you were hit with the familiar scent of food and other scented aromas. The nostalgia was painful and irritating but, you had to deal with it. Lian then walked ahead of you and spoke with the attendant man about the reservation. You stood behind her in silence and tried very hard to erase all the emotions that were igniting from this place. You breathed in and out and held your head high, telling yourself to calm down and get over it. There was no need to get so emotional about something of the past. It’s been almost 12 years since then, just forget about it. Forget it.

 

Once Lian was done, she had motioned you over and deeper into the restaurant, with the attendant leading you in to your tables. You had expected to just sit at a regular table, but, you were instead led to a private room on the fourth floor of the restaurant. The room was huge and extravagant. The walls were painted by the finest artists, depicting the ancient stories of the late kings and queens, the roof held a large and seemingly expensive chandelier decorated in crystals, and there was a large glass doorway that opened up to a balcony, viewing the magnificent city of Gangnam. The table was fairly large as well, seeming to fit about ten to twenty people. You gasped at the room and awed. It was so… fancy?!

 

Lian nudged you in the side and glared at you. “Young lady, you shouldn’t be gapping like that.” She scolded. You quickly shut your mouth and stiffened. Of course, you were going to be reminded about etiquettes by someone if it wasn’t your mother. You complained to yourself and pouted. Lian sighed and motioned the attendant away. “Young lady, please go over and sit. I will be standing right here.” She told you. You looked around and slowly walked over to a random seat. “Where is everyone else?” You asked. Lian sighed and checked her watch. “Your parents are to be here soon, as for the Lee family,” she paused and smiled, “They have run into a slight traffic jam and will be arriving a little late. But, it’s nothing to be concerned about.” She informed.

 

You nodded and set your purse that Lian had given you in the car, onto the seat that you chose. You didn’t want to just sit and wait, so you decided to look around the room and examine the place in detail. “Young lady?” Lian questioned you as you walked over to the wall and glided your fingers across the surface. “It’s really fancy and cool. I’ve never known that this room existed here. Did they add this when I was away?” you asked. Lian nodded. “Yes, they refined the building and added more things. The place has gotten more revenue since the expansion.” She explained. You nodded and examined the counter that had lovely vases of flowers assorted in it. “It’s really nice.” You commented. “Young lady?” She asked as you walked over to the balcony door. You turned to her and smiled. “I’m just gonna go get some fresh air, okay? I won’t go anywhere.”

 

Lian sighed and walked closer to you. She then stood firmly beside the door and smiled. “I will notify you when the guests have arrived.” She said. You smiled and opened the large glass door, walking out and into the chilly but refreshing air.

 

The air was filled with the cold crisp of autumn, however, the sunlight that was miraculously shining through the scattered clouds, was bright enough to give you a little warmth. You took a breath in as you walked over to the edge of the balcony and laid your aims atop the railing, leaning over it a little. You stared aimlessly into the distance and allowed the serenity of the world to calm you down. It was all so unreal. Just a day ago you were excited about break, yesterday you are told you’re getting married, today, you’re meeting your fiancée and his family. This… was all just coming at you at lightening speeds. Way too fast for you to really grasp it all.

 

You took another slow breath and exhaled loudly. Looking over the city, you fall deeper into thought. You begin to wonder to yourself, if this was really going to happen? If this event was real? You sighed and scrunched your face in annoyance. Clenching the railing, you closed your eyes and lowered your head. “This is really happening.” You then move your right hand over your heart and clenched t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter