Out of my mind

Fallen
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Playlist: Yellow; Coldplay

Author’s note: I’m very sorry that it took me so long to have this chapter out but if you’re still sticking around to see read this story, please know that my thanks come from the bottom of my heart. Updates won’t be regular still because I’ll be travelling but as before, I’ll continue working on it when I can. Once again, thank you for sticking around TT

------

Younghyun comes over regularly for study sessions with you and Dowoon and whilst you’re still awkward with your “boyfriend”, there was no reason for you to chase him out – can’t – chase him out. You have to settle for a tense atmosphere whenever he’s around but with time, it’s gotten better – at least you can breathe slightly easier now. You talk to him only when necessity requires it, an occasional small lift of the corners of your lips to show him the pretty smile that he misses so much. But it also hurts – because it’s just an inkling of what you used to give him – and his heart yearns for more. The solution to all your problems with him should have been simple – just talk to him. Clear the air. Trash things out. Do what normal couples do. Communicate.

But both of you were never a normal couple to begin with – the thought still pricks your heart sometimes when you think about it – and at times, it was hard to know when it’s alright to cross to line. Would it be weird to ask him about that traumatic night? Were you allowed to? Were you ready to hear the answer to the question? These thoughts ran at a million miles in your head and there was no way to silence them.

For Younghyun, the situation was excruciating for him as well. He had things that he wanted to say to you, and you knew it. Both of you were just sitting around for the other to break the silence and start the conversation but it was much easier said than done. It was only during the most fragile moments of vulnerability that the masks slipped, and the inhibitions melted away.

---

The sound of the wind chimes doesn’t catch your attention anymore, you're used to the door at this time on a Saturday morning. What you're not used to it the sound of one pair of footsteps only. You meet his eyes immediately when you turn around to face him, scalding your tongue on your hot tea accidentally when you realize that it's Younghyun instead of Dowoon.

"May I?" He gestures to the level above, and you nod your head. He walks away but you stop him before he gets too far away. You'd forgotten to ask the most important question.

"Do you need a drink?" He smiles softly at your statement.

"The usual."

You nod in understanding, hands going back to make the familiar drink that you knew so well. Making it was like second nature by now, you didn't even need to think. Your hand just moves on auto-pilot by themselves. Carrying both drinks up the stairs, you placed the cups down quietly before assuming your seat right next to him.

"Dowoonie?" You asked, with the softest voice Younghyun has ever heard.

"Hospital. He might have stretched his ligament a little too much yesterday. Capt and Pil are with him now to get it checked."

You hum in understanding, and decided to send Dowoon a get well soon text. Your phone pings just before you set your phone aside, containing a thumbs up gif from Dowoon. You close the message, missing Younghyun's side glance at you. Both of you work in relative silence, the clinking of cups against wood and the occasional question breaking the silence.

"Could you explain this equation to me?"

"I need help with the process of DNA replication, do you have any idea how it's supposed to work?"

Your Biology might not be the best, but it was at least way better than Younghyun's. In between sips of drinks and the conversation arising from the questions, Younghyun's eyelids grow heavy and he slumps his head down on the table, the loud thud catching your attention. You purse your lips and shake your head slightly at his behaviour – still the same Kang Younghyun. Still doing whatever he likes without really being aware of his surroundings. Looking at him sleep, it reminded you that perhaps you needed a break too. Lifting your face towards the ceiling, you're immediately assaulted by the cold blast of air from the air conditioning. You shiver when the icy cold fingers of the frigid air brush past your neck and you immediately lower your face to avoid the dry and cold wind.

He might be cold...

Standing up wordlessly, you trudge to the nearby cabinet to flip through your personal collection of blankets (you always had some of them at the cafe, ready for your usage whenever you were there to study) Walking over with the biggest one you had, you draped the blanket carefully over the sleeping boy, careful to not wake him. Immediately after, you shook your head at your silliness. You knew Kang Younghyun. Once he was out like a light, nothing could wake him up again. There was no need for you to worry about interrupting his sleep. With one last glance at him, you headed down the spiral staircase, leaving the sleeping boy alone.

---

Time must have passed but its meaning was lost on you. Between the pages of Fredrik Backman and his discussion of aging and forgiveness reflected through his compelling characters, your revision was forgotten.

As was the boy that lay peacefully sleeping a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter