Better left unsaid

Fallen
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Taking Biology was a mistake. You at it. And it was now causing you immense stress. Seized with the fear that you'll fail the module unless you do something about it this instant, you enlisted the help of Dowoon to tutor you on it. Despite being a freshman, it was clear that he knew his content better than you could ever hope to achieve. Thankfully, Dowoon was a sweetheart, and agreed to tutor you without hesitation.

So here you were, at 9am on a Saturday morning at the family cafe, making two cups of beverages behind the counter as you waited for Dowoon to arrive. The soft ring of the wind chimes travelled in a beautiful melody to reach your ears and you lifted your head from the puppy latte art that you managed to complete on time, a smile gracing your lips with a greeting pressed at the tip of your tongue.

Only for the smile to falter, and your greeting to come out as a meek stutter instead of a confident exclamation.

"Hi Dowoon...and...”

The older male, whose hair was now long enough to cover his eyes in the time that you had not seen him, was staring back at you as you did with him. Dowoon catches on to the fishy behaviour, eyes darting back and forth between the both of you. Yet, the younger male isn't deciphering, but merely observing.

Younghyun decides to save the awkward atmosphere himself by greeting you first.

"Hi."

"Hi."

Your words come out too curt – you were reacting instinctively like a gun's recoil. Desperate to be away from his penetrating gaze, you try to busy yourself with making beverages again, asking Dowoon to lead the way upstairs.

"Both of you can just head up first... Right... Thanks Dowoon."

He takes the 2 cups from the counter as you busy yourself with making a next cup of beverage, diverting your attention quickly from Kang Younghyun. Now clearly affected by his presence, your minds and hands work on auto-pilot, grabbing ingredients and mixing them without being 100% sure on what you're making.

When you see the end product, you groan in annoyance. An iced Americano now sat right in front of you, the light clinking of the ice against the glass cup seeming to mock you rather than sound like a cheerful ring. How did you even manage to make his favourite drink without even being fully conscious of this choice?

Once again, it was very clear to you now, that your body was absolutely used to his presence, and that no matter. how hard you try to shake it off, you won't ever be able to do it. Swallowing your sigh of frustration, you grab the drink and headed up the spiral staircase.

When you reached the top of the landing, both boys turned to look at you simultaneously, and you decided to focus on Dowoon. Dowoon's eyes were safe, there was no risk of losing your cool even if you were to look into them. You took the seat right beside Dowoon, even though there was an empty seat right in front of the two boys – a seat that was clearly meant for you. You could feel Younghyun's eyes on you the entire time, and you had to resist the urge to squirm under his gaze. Taking a deep breath, you turned to Dowoon and said, "Let's start, shall we?"

The younger male nodded his head and when your eyes shifted to the textbook in front of you, Younghyun knew that his time with you was over, and that his attempts to catch your attention had failed. He was about to let out a barely concealed sigh until his eyes landed on the iced Americano in front of him.

You still remember.

---

You wish you could say that the rest of the day would be smooth sailing, but obviously, life never worked out the way you wanted to. You could constantly feel like your every move and gesture was being watched, and you were dead sure that you weren't mistaken – you had an acute sense, you always knew when you were being watched. The feeling intensified whenever you got too close to Dowoon, even when it was just a friendly shove on his shoulder. Tension slowly built up in your body the entire time – your shoulders were tense, your grip on your pen much too tight. By the time the study session ended because the boys had to leave for basketball training, your hands were red from the pressure and sticky with perspiration, and you've torn through at least three sheets of paper with your rough writing.

The mild anger that was radiating of Kang Younghyun and projecting onto you was too much for you to bear, and you couldn't be happier to usher them both out of the cafe door; perhaps you might have shut the door too eagerly in their faces. You felt a twinge of guilt for doing so – mostly at Dowoon – but you were glad for the reprieve. Finally, you could be away f

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter