Is this...?

Fallen
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

And so, you do.

You become a regular visitor at the team’s training sessions and gradually, you’ve grown to love the team. You start to care for them like your younger siblings; and you have a particular soft spot for Dowoon because he takes Biology classes with you. All it took for you was a week to be able to match their names to their faces, positions and class levels. Now, after a month, you’re around the team so much that you’re able to match personal belongings to the person; you know whose shoes belong to whom, and whose gym bag belonged to whom. Very soon, you started helping captain Sungjin with his duties – both of you hollering at members after training sessions to bring home their basketball shoes and dirty jerseys. It was a clear indication that you were perhaps spending too much time with the boys, but that didn’t stop you from continuing to show up for trainings, sometimes with food in hand for the entire team. Brian watches all of this with pride from the side line, smiling when he saw how the boys readily accepted you into their tribe, treating you with respect like they would with their biological older sister.

Today, Brian is witness to another defining milestone of your journey in joining the team when Coach Nickhun walks up to talk to you, a sure sign that Coach was also beginning to accept you as part of this big family. Brian’s chest swells with happiness at the sight, letting out a small puff of laughter because his body can no longer physically contain his delight at the sight in front of him. Eyes never leaving your beautiful face, Brian carries on watching your interaction with Coach Nickhun, his smile growing wider by the second. He was completely oblivious to Sungjin’s presence beside him, until the older male decides to make himself known.

“Kang, you really like her, don’t you?”

“Of course I do, she’s my fake – ”

Brian pauses midsentence, unable to continue the rest of the sentence. Was he… really about to call you his fake girlfriend? It felt so wrong to label you as his fake girlfriend when it’s been so long since you’ve been acting like one. Ever since basketball finals, you have been genuine with him and the team, lending them support in any way that you can.

The star player turned to look at his captain, confusion written all over his face. Meanwhile, Sungjin directs a pointed gaze at Brain, almost as if he expected this outcome to his question.

“Not in that way Kang. I meant liking her as a woman, as a partner. It feels weird labelling her as a fake girlfriend, doesn’t it?”

For a split second, Brian stares at his captain with a dumbfounded look on his face, not wanting to believe the truth behind Sungjin’s words. He kicked the thought out of his head the moment it dawned upon him, not wanting to let himself immerse too much in this notion.

“Ay hyung~ what nonsense are you sprouting! I don’t see her that way, and I’m sure she does not too.”

Sungjin scoffs at his teammate, in disbelief of Brian’s stubbornness.

“Deny it all you want Kang, but your heart will eventually tell you to the truth.”

Sungjin runs off the moment he finishes the last word, going back on court where he is needed more. This gives Brian time to turn his attention back to you, whom was still talking to Coach Nickhun.

Do I… really like her… in that way? No, it’s rididculous. How can I be in love with her? There is no feelings involved in this, it’s all purely business.

Yet, the nagging feeling scratching away at his chest will not leave him alone, making him more uncomfortable by the second. Thankfully, he’s distracted by you waving him over. Jogging over leisurely, you pull Brian down to sit beside you when he’s within arm’s reach, your kneecaps now pressed against one another. You don’t give Brian a chance to greet you when you interject with your question, talking at quickly at full speed,

“I’ve got an idea, listen and tell me if it’s good. I was talking to Coach Nickhun just now, and he mentioned that he wanted to reward the entire team for winning the championships again, but he was getting sick of just bringing all of you out for a meal at some fancy restaurant. So, I suggested holding a party at my aunt’s café. We can close the place for the night just for the team; there’ll be homecooked food, you can stay as long as you want because no one is going to chase you out during closing. But then again, I’m not sure if this is a good idea, or if the celebration comes too late after your victory. Also, is it too corny or – ”

Brian’s face lights up with each proposition you make, grateful that you even thought of offering up your personal space and time to do something for the boys to appreciate their efforts. Without thinking, he slips his hands into yours, holding on tight before giving your hand a squeeze, affirming your efforts.

“I think it’s a fantastic idea. I’m sure the boys will enjoy it very much.”

Still holding on your hand, he turns back to face the court before hollering at them.

“YA KIDS! YOUR NOONA HERE WANTS TO HOLD A PARTY AT HER PLACE TO CELEBRATE OUR CHAMPIONSHIP WIN! IS EVERYONE GAME?”

The boys take some time to process his words that we

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter