Lie to me

Fallen
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The wedding lasts deep into the night, and there were no signs of it slowing down. All night, you were alternating between bites of food and small snippets of conversation, and occasionally, you found yourself balancing a child in your arm, trying to entertain them with cute sticker selfies. You were the next biggest highlight after the bride and groom – and you weren’t sure if you appreciated all the additional attention. Part of you was glad, for that meant that you were welcomed by the family. Yet the constant attention was taking a toll on your energy level, and you were desperately searching for a break.

It came as soon as you thought of it, Grandma waving you over to her seat. You make your way over quickly, grateful for the small respite because no one would come to you anymore once you were by her side. Sitting down beside her once more, you take in the grand sight in front of you, smiling when you found the person you were looking for. Younghyun was engaged in a dance battle with his other relatives, doing his utmost to bust his best dance moves on the floor. Colourful disco lights in shades of the rainbow were shooting lasers around the entire place, lighting up the entire hall like a retro disco.

Your attention on Younghyun was broken when Grandma let a comment slip past her lips, bringing your focus to her instead.

“You know, I was always so curious about you, Rachel.”

You fiddled with your fingers upon hearing her words, nervous laughter making it’s way past your lips. Having attention from someone is mostly flattering, especially from someone so respected. You gather your thoughts, and proceed to give an appropriate response.

“Yes, Brian has told me about it. He said that all of you wanted to see me the moment he mentioned me; said that the family requested to see me tonight.”

“Well, you aren’t wrong about the first part, but not so accurate for the latter.”

You raise your eyebrow at her words – but that was what he told me…

Grandma let out a light chortle looking at your confused expression, before proceeding to explain herself.

“Younghyun was the one that requested for your presence tonight; asked if he could bring you along to the wedding. He was going on and on about having met a wonderful girl – there was not a day that goes by where he doesn’t mention you, not a single moment where he’s not smiling when he talks about you. So, I wondered – what sort of girl could possibly make him so happy, so contented? – and asked if there was a day where I could finally see you.

You should have seen his reaction when I asked the question. His face immediately lit up, his eyebrows looking like they shot through his forehead. The corners of his lips were almost split apart by the wide grin he was wearing, and he really couldn’t will himself to stop smiling like a young man giddy with love.

In that moment, I realised that was exactly what he was – a young man giddy and intoxicated with love. In my entire time being his grandmother, never have I ever; not even once, see him so jubilant with joy. I was hoping that his affection would not be misplaced like the last time, but after meeting you tonight, I was glad that my worries were unfounded.

I’m so glad that it’s you Rachel.”

She takes your hand in her again, but this time you don’t return the affection with a smile or soft squeeze of her hands. They lie still in her palms, for you couldn’t bring yourself to do anything else. Your head

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter