Story

To Reach You
Story.
 

    chapter FIVE (to reach you)

"Why aren't you eating?" Lucas asked before he gobbled the hamburger in front of him.

This sneaky guy. How dare he caught me off guard?

I pouted while opening the burger I ordered. Wait, can I actually eat a burger in front of this guy? What if he makes fun of my big mouth? What if there will be sauce in my face after biting the burger? God, I really overthink about the stupidest things. Instead of eating the burger with big bites like I usually do, I have to shyly eat my food. I'm not touching the fries for now because I'm still pissed off that I accidentally ordered a large one. 

Lucas grabbed a fry and said 'thank you' before grabbing more. I wonder why he's so chummy with me when he barely gives glances to other girls. Maybe it's because it looks like I won't stick to him like one of my annoying classmates? I was glaring at him the whole time and it took him a few minutes before he noticed. He mouthed 'what?' to me while opening the other burger he ordered. 

"Wanna hear a story?" 

"Yeah, sure." I answered. "Make sure it's a good one."

He chuckled before continuing. "Well, I'm not from this area. I was living in a small island before and I met this guy. He told me that he'll be travelling around the island for days. Actually, I don't know what it's for but everyone in the island knows him. He's homeless, you see. My friends and I ask for donations so when he drops by, I have something to give him. I never got to ask him why he does that everyday." 

I just nodded and listened to his story. "Well, there's some things that are better left unsaid."

"Like what?" Lucas asked with curiosity. 

"Like what? Uh, let's see." I wiped my mouth with the free tissue before answering. "Love. When you start to like someone, when do you think is the safest time to confess?" 

He scratched the back of his head. "When you know that person likes you back?" 

"Exactly." I said. "That guy you're helping probably has a sad backstory and he doesn't want to make people feel sad. That's the same as liking someone. When you're unsure about the feelings of the person you like, you don't want to suddenly confess to them because you know it'll make them feel awkward around you. Sure, there's people who can be chill and all but that's a rare case."

Lucas nodded. "You feel like a love guru for some reason."

"I hear that a lot," I said in a playful tone while I stuff my fries in my bag because I can't finish it by myself. 

"I'm curious about something though. Did you like someone who didn't like you back?"

See? He asks questions like we're really buddies. 

"No comment," I answered while laughing. "Why do you ask the most uncomfortable questions?"

"Because it's funny to see your reactions," he answered honestly.

Author's  Note: My back's hurting after the job interview I had yesterday omf.