4-Depression

Purgatory

“Your heart is already weakened,” the doctor informs. “I suggest that you get some rest, and not strain yourself.”

 

Donghae frowns into the empty space beside him. He thinks about what Hyukjae said, but it is not enough to be his lifeline. He needs him, and his heart can’t take it. He’s never been apart from him in such a long time. He always expects him to come swaggering inside his room. He’d give anything to see his smile.

 

Donghae blinks, and feels hot tears against his face. The lights flicker, and he blinks. Then it flickers again, and the tray by his bedside was thrown on the floor. Donghae slowly stood up, ignoring the protests of his body. He winces, his arms shaking by his side.

 

Suddenly, his air was knocked out of him, and he was slammed back down into his back. Donghae struggles to breathe, and he feels his pulse race. The sound of beeping and feet thudding on the ground fades into the background. Donghae’s eyes roll towards his head. He feels too cold. The last thing he remembers before closing his eyes was Hyukjae’s familiar grip on his hand.

 

~

“He’s too cold! Get more blankets!”

 

Voices fade into the back of his head. Donghae walks down a dim hallway, a soft breeze brushing his skin. The marble floor is cold and it makes his feet numb. Here, he doesn’t need a wheelchair to get around. Suddenly, he feels someone holding his hand.

 

Donghae looks to his right, and he finds Hyukjae, pale with deep dark circles under his eyes. His lips are white, and dry, and Donghae is afraid because his lips never looked like that. They were always so full and bright, sometimes swollen from kisses, but never barren, like he’s been dying of thirst.

 

His cheeks are sharper than normal, making him look angry even though his demeanor is calm. His eyes are dark, and there is no warmth in them. Donghae has no clue what is going on in his mind.

 

The hallway veers off, and the place comes alive. The lights suddenly snap on, almost blinding Donghae. People rushed about, pushing carts and stretchers. There are nurses and doctors yelling. Patients came and went, some of them bleeding on the table, or in pain. Donghae blinks, but nothing changes. He looks to Hyukjae for an explanation, but he is unnaturally still, with his eyes trained to the automatic doors of the emergency room.

 

“Male, in his 30s, heart rate and blood pressure are stabilized, there’s trauma to the head, but his pupils are responsive…”

 

Donghae watches with trepidation as the uniformed people rolled in two stretchers, one with his body, and the other containing Hyukjae’s. He lets out a strangled noise.

 

The Hyukjae that is holding his hand pulls him to follow the direction where the doctors rushed the Hyukjae on the stretcher. Donghae wants to pull away from this. He does not want to see this, but Hyukjae’s grip is like a clamp.

 

“Hyuk, you’re hurting me!” Donghae snapped. He immediately feels bad when he saw hurt flash across Hyukjae’s eyes.

Hyukjae frowns, and he lets go of Donghae like he touched something burning. “I’m...sorry. I didn’t mean-”

 

Donghae shakes his head. He turns his head towards the direction Hyukjae meant to take him, and they walk towards the bed. A medical team is pumping drugs and trying to keep Hyukjae’s body alive, but the monitor beside his bed says otherwise.

 

“Damn it!” One of the doctors cursed. He cut open Hyukjae’s shirt, and poured iodine all over his chest.

“Heechul-ssi!”

 

He stares at a smaller man with an intense gaze. The other met his eyes with the same intensity.

 

“I’ll take the ing responsibility. Now, scalpel!”

 

Donghae looks away as the small knife digs into Hyukjae’s side. Black blood pours out, and the monitor beeps rapidly. Donghae’s feet suddenly felt sticky.

 

“Jungsoo!” Heechul barks.

“I got you, just pump his heart!” The man named Jungsoo ordered. He places a metal contraption that allows the body to spread open.

“Sir, I need you to stand up,” a nurse’s voice catches Donghae’s ears.

 

Donghae stares at the scene in horror. He covers his mouth, trying to subdue the horrible gasps that he’s making.

 

“Call it,” Jungsoo gives up, and takes off his gloves.