5-Acceptance

Purgatory

“Time of death: 4:30 pm.”

 

It rings in his ears, loud and clear.

 

Donghae stares at Hyukjae’s face, his stomach dropping. He felt betrayed.

 

“You left me!” Donghae accused. He’s blinking rapidly, and he touches his face, trying to stop himself from getting overwhelmed.

Hyukjae turns his head away, trying to stop the tears from coming out. He swallows, and looks Donghae straight in the eye. “You have to let me go. I can’t go anywhere Donghae. I’m stuck here, and I’m turning into something horrible!” He grabs his husband by the arm and squeezes it hard.

 

Donghae yelps and tries to break away.

 

Hyukjae leads him through a set of doors, and they are back at the bakery.

 

Donghae spots his old motorcycle parked at the curb, like it did a while ago after meeting Hyukjae. This Donghae is watching Hyukjae’s retreating form with his arms crossed, and his back leaning on the motorcycle’s seat. That Donghae fishes something from his pocket, and he realizes that it was the phone that Hyukjae bought for him after learning that he did not have a phone to contact him.

 

The younger Donghae types something in, and the other Hyukjae pauses to check his phone.

 

Donghae knew exactly what he typed in. Turn around if you meant to kiss me.

 

Hyukjae did turn around, and he sorta ran towards Donghae. They receive each other into their arms, and Hyukjae pulls Donghae into a sweet and long kiss.

 

Donghae remembers being breathless. All he could think about was Hyukjae, the way his body felt nice as it presses against him, the way his arms went around him perfectly…

 

“I would never leave you,” the Hyukjae beside him said. “You know that. If I had to leave you, then it has to be a greater force that I cannot-we cannot control.”

 

Donghae turns away from the scene and they were back in the dim hallways of the hospital. It was daft, and gloomy.

 

‘Till death do us part. That was their vow. Donghae thought at that time that he will follow him anywhere, maybe even in the after life.

 

Donghae bursts out crying. “It’s too soon!”

Hyukjae reaches for Donghae and embraces him. “I know, I know.”

“I love you so much,” Donghae cries. He buries his face into Hyukjae’s cold and hard neck. “I love you so, so much.”

Hyukjae places his hand on the back of Donghae’s neck, and kisses his temple. “I love you, ‘till death do us part.”

 

Hyukjae lets go of Donghae, and he steps back. A smile finally touches his features, and his appearance kindles warmth.

 

“Wake up, if you meant everything you’ve said,” Hyukjae teases. He chuckles in a carefree and childish way, like the sky had lifted from his shoulders. 

Donghae watches his retreating form, his eyes roving every inch of his taut body. He promised himself that he will live and do right by the man he loves.

Then he closes his eyes.