Track #4 - Honesty (Write Me A List)

Records of Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"One by one, she wrote down what she wanted most from him:
Honesty, sincerity, tenderness and trust.
He fought back the tears as he looked in her eyes
And said, "I don't know where to start."
And she said, "Everything on that list in your hand,
Is hidden somewhere in your heart.""
— Honesty (Write Me A List), Rodney Atkins

+++

She was tired.

 

She didn't know she would be tired. Loving him was indeed difficult, but she never thought even for one second that loving him was tiring.

 

Until now.

 

She was tired of everything—of what was happening in their relationship, or lack thereof. She was tired of forgiving him, she was tired of crying, she was tired of hearing him say sorry for the same mistake all over again.

 

She thought she wasn't capable of crying anymore, she thought she had no more tears left to shed, but looking at his beautiful face, she remembered everything.

 

His eyes. His dark chocolate brown eyes. His eyes were the features that made her fall for him even more and she loved looking at it. But as they looked at each other, it was the thing she couldn't bear to look at right now. The very same eyes were pleading her to understand, to forgive, to forget. And she wasn't sure if she could do that.

 

She knew he didn't love her. He was sweet, he was nice, he took good care of her through the course of their relationship but he didn't love her. And she was a total fool for letting herself fall for a man like him.

 

He was the epitome of male beauty. He had a face which made women fall for him, a body sculpted to perfection and was made to be worshipped from head to toe. But she saw all past that.

 

She saw a man who was loving, a man who was considerate, a man who constantly tried not to bow down to the pressure of everyone because he was basketball captain and excellence was expected of him all the time, and a scared little boy hiding beneath the bravado he exudes.

 

He was not perfect, and she loved him.

 

She wasn't sure anymore.

 

Her friends warned her, repeatedly told her not to mingle with the likes of him. But she didn't listen. She honestly thought she meant more to him... but she was wrong. Look where it got her now—a part of her life wasted, all because of a man named Jung Yonghwa, and she could no longer get it back.

 

"I'm sorry,"

 

She heard that sentence multiple times. It was his favourite. But the thing is, she didn't believe it anymore.

 

She bitterly smiled, "You only accept the apology if the person is remorseful or truly sorry. Unfortunately, that's not the case with you,"

 

"Hyun-ah..." he tried to reach out but she stepped away.

 

She shook her head, "Let's stop this, Yonghwa-yah. I can't take it anymore," she stepped away three steps more. "I really thought you could change and it was stupid of me to even believe that. Old habits really die hard, huh?"

 

She didn't shout. She also had no strength left in her to be mad at him. It was her fault in the first place—for thinking the world of him, for being in so deep, for being such a fool for him. It was all her fault. There was no one to blame but herself.

 

"Joohyun, it's not like that,"

 

"No," her tears fall, "I am so in love with you, and you took advantage of that. You knew you had me wrapped under your finger. You knew I'd always take you back. You never thought of my feelings. But all of that ends here. I will not let you hurt me again,"

 

She brushed her tears away and took a deep breath. It's done. She did it. It's all for the best. She tried to smile at him, and for the last time, she leaned closer to kiss his lips. "Goodbye, Jung Yonghwa. I hope you find the person who's meant for you, and I hope by then, you'll learn to love her too. Sadly, it's not me,"

 

And in the blink of an eye, the distance between them lengthened and all he could see was her, the best thing that had ever happened to him, walking away from him.

 

And maybe for good.

 

✧・゚: *✧・゚:* ✧

 

She knew it was impossible to avoid him. They were, after all, studying in the same university, in the same department, and he knew the places she frequented. But after she ended things with him, she was thankful he didn't try to approach her.

 

She was wrong in her assumptions.

 

"What are you doing?"

 

She was walking towards her classroom for the next lecture when he held her wrist and dragged her to the end of the hallway. She was certain her friends saw what just transpired, judging from the frowns on their faces.

 

"Please, allow me to explain everything,"

 

She sighed. She yanked her wrist from his hold but he tightened his grip, "Yonghwa-ssi, we have nothing to talk about anymore. I'm done with you,"

 

"Isn't it unfair that you get to say what you feel and just walk away without hearing my response?"

 

"Because I'm tired of hearing the same thing all over again! What are you going to say? You're sorry? You won't do it again? You know what, forget it! I don't need it, and in fact, you don't have to be sorry. We don't have any relationship, you're allowed to do a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter