More clues

Smokey - Rude boys

I opened my eyes in confusion. The first thing I faced was the wall; a white fainted wall. I sat up, though my head was still spinning. It seemed the medication had kicked in and I zoned out. But, where was I? I looked around, there was nothing special. Few seats, desks and shelves. I was back to the room of the cold cases. I remembered being here this morning asking about the factory. I was lost, how did i end up here. My last memory was gazing those eyes of that detective. Eyes that see through you i would say. But then everything went black. 'What happened to the case files? Was i caught?' questions like that filled my spinning mind. And i can assure you things didn't get better, they became more confusing; as the door opened. Lala, Takeshi and Pi, suddenly stormed into the room. Those were the last ones I waited to see there.

Lala run towards me asking me "Are you alright? What happened?" and tried to check me if i had any injuries.

But I pulled back, still confused. "Guys why are you here?" I managed to ask before the door opened for a second time and Toka got inside the room holding some files. She gazed at me. I was sure in her mind she had punched me at least twice. She was really fired up. She sat at her desk and hit the files down, getting all the attention of the room. She really looked as a detective. Not that i have met any, but surly she looked like those detective from the manga i have read. She had the same fire at her eyes, the same scary aura surrounded her at the moment. It seemed I was in trouble. Not only because i was caught sneaking around the file room, but because if i remember correctly the detective around the other file case had the same name as her.

Though my thoughts were interrupted as she knocked her finger on her desk. "Are you feeling better?" she asked taking me really by surprise. I waited her to scold me.

"I am alright... I guess" i mumbled checking my self out. Everything seemed alright, only my fist was bandaged up. I have cut my hand when i punched the window to break.

She lean against her desk only to hit my head with her hand "Yamaoka-san, breaking into the file room is an offence. Don't think because you fainted that I will not charge you with these." she voiced up. I looked at her confused. Why would she call me with the name that was listed at the label. Though she was right if i was their son I guess i will have the same last name.

"Who is Yamaoka?" Takeshi asked out of the blue as he rubbed his head.

Lala trying to protect me she yelled at her "Keep you bloody hands off my brother." But I signed her to calm down. There wasn't the time to react but wait and see what had happened. The only one who remain calm as me and Pi. Maybe he was one of the few who could read threw the lines.

"Yamaoka?" I asked the detective. Getting me in trouble for by-passing the file room, didn't really scare me. But to find out what those boxes had inside. And what the connections were did.

Toka nodded at me "Hm Yamaoka Hiroshi. Was the name of the boy." she explained and took a picture of a family and showed it to me. I think it was the same picture i have seen in the article. Only it was colorful and looked more real. Indeed the boy looked like me. And his parents now, seemed that my brain recognized them. I became bit dizzy as i discovered few new memories. I grabbed at the picture really worried. I surely was that boy.

"That's me. I am sure about it. What happened?" I asked deadly serious. The guys stepped back and listened. It seemed the name and my reaction had already got my attention.

Toka looked around a bit worried and scared. She stood up and walked towards the door and closed it. Then she came back "If you get mixed in these I cannot ensure you it will be save. But know that if you take part it will be risky." she said.

Danger, Risk and dying, those things never scared me. After all i may will not live another day. But what did scared me was having the guys with me. " I am in." I replied.

"Alright. But here is not the place for that. Let's go for now!" she ordered us.

I was ready to follow her but i stopped and paused the guys. "These is a problem i have to find the answer. You guys should get back." I told them.

But i didn't get the response i wanted. No way they would leave me alone. We almost fought. But they didn't back off. I some how felt lucky, i had my family with me. But again we were the Rude Boys. It wasn't that easy to break us down. So I agreed to let them stay, until we find out what we were dealing with. And if things went then more dangerous than we could handle, i surely would send them back.

The detective didn't ask for anything else. She went down the stairs into the parking space and got her car. We were allowed to go with her. I followed her with my bike. The guys only got into her car. Few minutes later we arrived outside a house. It seemed really classy. She opened the door and welcomed us inside. Turn on the lights and closed the door behind her. We took out our shoes and went towards the living room. It was the first time we really felt a bit ashamed. The old clothes and the ripped shocks seemed not to match with the expensive decoration.

Toka caught as some tea and told us to take a seat. She was going through some files. I took the time to fill the guys in. What i have found out. About the factory, the house, the fire, and the rest of the details. I was sure she was listen at us. But she didn't say anything. When she found what she was looking for she sat next to me. She placed the files at the coffee table and started to explain. I sniffed the air around me. Something really had a nice smell. But Lala poked me, as she gave me the look 'you look like ert'. So i stopped sniffing.

The detective placed a picture of my family at the table. "These is the Yamaoka family. They have owned a factory close to the hill." she said and looked at me "Your parents, if we are correct." She paused for a second and sighed getting out another picture. In the picture was a male. "These one is Yu Enji. He was a detective and was my father. In 1988 you parents witnessed something. That's why the case '771-88' was opened. I haven't really find any clues. As you also found out. The files are missing. I think these case was opened for many years." she added.

I looked at her confused. I took a look at her father's picture. The man's face was some how familiar. But my mind was blocking those memories. The guys gazed each other. It was like the started to be part in a "Crime/mystery drama" and it was out of their ways. I could tell what they were thinking 'Can we not kicked the truth out of them.' But really 'who was them?'

Toka went on not waiting for our reaction, like she had more things to say. "Though your parents had seen something more. My fathers kill. That's the case file 885-94. A year before their death. What is missing from these file is their confessions. Then a year later, they have their house and factory burned. But i am sure they were blackmailed. An older officer said that they months after they case they were thinking not to back down. Also they had also few small attacks before the fire. Although their case was listed as a 'hit and run'. I still kept those files. But when i get deeper to each clue i get. I come to a dead end." she clarified.

I took the files once again and looked at them. Though what was bothering me, was my memory. It was like there were things hidden by me. Maybe I did it to protect me. Maybe they were too old memories. The problem was, there was no one there to tell me. That some memories is better to remain forgotten. "And what are your clues?" I asked her trying to avoid my dizzy mind.

She cracked a smile, and took out some cut newspapers articles. "In 1986 there was a new break out. That the factories west are chemicals that can kill nature and poison our water. These times new technologies were brought in day light. Filters that were really expensive to use. But no many factories agreed. It took time, it still does to have factories to agree above that laws. Though there was a factory back then that seemed to agree to use them. But a year later articles come out that they were faking it. The question was, were did all that chemicals go?" she asked me and gazed me like she wanted me to answer her.

"I don't know. They would have to ..." I murmured and paused "they buried them?"

"Exactly. It was said they brought those chemicals here in Sapporo." she said pointing at me few articles. "Those articles are the only clue i got. I think you parents maybe saw something. Or are somehow related to that. You see 1986 we had many changes here. Drugs, kills, and the chemicals. There are many things related. " she kept saying.

But I cut her off "What about the reporters?" I asked out of the blue.

"I never found the one that wrote those articles. The newspaper is long closed." she said.

I went on looking at the articles. They were singed with an alias. The reporter must be scared. But looking at these a name pumped into my mind. "Hashimoto Toru..." i mumbled getting Toka's attention.

"Wait.. he was a well known reporter back then. But i think he is in prison now." she said confused. "What about him?" she asked me.

"I can only think of that name. He is in prison?" I responded confused.

"Yes." she said as she looked through her notes. "Oddly. He was in for drugs possession ..." she said.

"What is odd in that?" I asked her back.

She showed me her notebook "These is my fathers notebook. See he has Hashimoto included inside."

"Maybe we should pay him a visit tomorrow." I suggested as i sat back and took a breath.

"That will not be a problem." she agreed and looked around. "But maybe you should rest first. Or you friends needed it."

I turned to notice all off the guys were already sleeping. I smiled and felt a bit awkward. They spend days with out sleeping at the nameless city. And today they all are resting and snoring. Toka didn't say anything more she brought few blankets and turned the lights off to let us rest. Then she gathered everything and brought it upstairs. I covered the guys. They seemed in peace. But my mind wasn't. It started remembering old memories and they some how made me unhappy. I took few more of the files that Toka forgot at the table and followed her.

I opened the door and walked inside the room she was. Sometimes i have no manners. I handled her the rest of the files and took a look at the room. She didn't say anything, though i could spot a odd feeling. Seconds later i knew why. It was her room. Clothes, bras and were laying around at her bed. I tried to look away and sat at her bed. She once again gave me that look, like i was punched more than twice.

"How did they guys found out about me?" I asked her suddenly as i was gazing at the ceiling.

She gazed at me and pause fixing the files "They called you. I answered. They were already in Sapporo. So they come over." she notified me.

I nodded, and showed her my hand. "Thank you for taking care of that." I thanked her as I showed her my bandaged hand.

"I couldn't just leave you bleed. But honestly did you faint because you lost few drops of blood." she mocked me " You seemed stronger than that."

I didn't response at that. I better had her believe i was a weak one, than tell her that i was ill. Or that maybe my days were few. I didn't like people pity me. I lay back at the bed thinking. Don't ask me what happened next. Because i zoned out. I only remember closing my eyes and then there was nothing there only darkness.

(( next chapter ))