Cold Cases

Smokey - Rude boys

I woke up the next day, it was already noon. I had a deep sleep, and I was sure i dreamed. It had been so long a could remember a dream. I looked outside the window, it was still raining. I washed my faced, dressed up and drove off. The only thing bothering before i reached that address was that person in black. Who could it be? After some time, and with some help i found the address. But once again I was in a dead end. There was nothing there. Not a building, or a store. Just a parking load. I asked around, but no one really remembered if there was ever a house there. But as i thought i was running out of luck again, i come across a old tofu shop. Out side was sitting an old lady. I didn't waste any time and asked her. If she knew who lived there. If there was ever a home there. She smiled at me and looked lost. No way she would remember.

As I turned to take my leave, the old lady spoke "It's been years that anyone ever asked about this place. There was a home there. A family lived there. They had a factory down the hill. They were so kind people." I was taken by surprise. I sat next to the lady asking her if she could remember anything more. Or at least if she had any idea what happened to those people.

The lady smiled at me again and nodded. "I don't know all the story, young man. But there was a fire. It burned everything down. The factory and later the house. The couple and their son went missing. Months later they found the couple dead. But never found their son." the old lady told me. I thanked her and left.

It was the first time in my life i felt my head spinning. I couldn't do anything. There was nothing i could protect at that moment. If those people were my parents, I couldn't do anything to protect them. I was late. I wanted to find out more details. But how could i find out. I didn't know my real name. The only clue was an old jacket, a label on it, and a burned factory and a home. But maybe it was enough. I didn't waste any time at all.

I went to the nearest library and searched any articles around that time. I found few newspaper that wrote about the case. It said only that no one ever found out who started the fire. It was really odd that both the factory and the house burned the same night. And what was more strange was when the couple was found dead. There was a picture of the couple and the boy. The man was wearing a similar jacket as the one i was. I needed some time to adjust my mind to the new information i was finding out. And my memory wasn't helping either. The couple seemed more familiar now. I was more than sure that they were my parents. And it would make sense, if they were in danger leaving me in the nameless city. But what could i do now.

I didn't wait any longer. I wanted to find out the truth. I found myself soon entering the police station. If Lala would see me now she would really make fun of me. We never acknowledged the police. And there i was wanting to ask information about an old case. But really could i easily trust anyone. I by passed the information desk, like an odd power was pulling me. I took the stairs and soon i was at the second floor, were the crime division was. Why was i there. It was odd. It somehow seemed familiar. Like i was there before. Next to me was an old door it said 'Cold cases'. I pressed the door and opened it. Inside the room the were few desks. Few men were talking and a young lady was sitting at her desk.

At first I didn't say anything. It seemed that she was bossing everyone around, about some files. But it didn't took long until she noticed me. "How can we help you?" she asked with an serious tone. My mind dropped back to reality and I gazed her. She seemed around my age. She was wearing a black suit, and a black shirt. Her hair, her eyes, her clothes and shoes everything was black. Only her skin was pale white. What an odd lady.

"I want to find out some information about an old case." I said out clearly. But my dislike could be noticeable on my face. The lady signed me to take a seat. She gave me her business card. Her name was Yu Toka. I had not a card to give her. I simply nodded and sat down.

"So how can we help you -san?" she asked me. It was more of a hint to tell her my name. But what name. I was Smokey. She wanted a full name.

"Smokey!" I answered in a deep tone. Like I was really proud of my name. I waited a dump reaction, like most normal people would show.

But she took a pencil and a paper and gazed at me back serious. "Alright Smokey-san. Tell me your details?" she asked me.

I wasn't sure if i could trust her. But at that time i only wanted information. After all it was a really old case. I started explaining her. About the fire. About the names i had. And that i wanted to know what happened back then. Because i think, they are maybe my parents. I didn't know why i said that. But it was like that my mind had accepted that new reality.

"I see!" the detective told me and turned over to her computer. It seemed like she was searching for the case. "It's an old case, there is nothing here. We have to get down to the achieve. Follow me!"she said and stood up. She didn't wait for me and walked off. Of course i followed her. Each minute that was passing by was making more curious to find out about what had happened. We reached the basement. A police officer opened for us the door. She started looking around. There was so many boxes. Seemed that crimes were all over the cities, small or big.

Minutes later she came with a box. The number of it was 876-95. She opened the box and read the first file. Then she started taking off any info that could be important. "There was a fire indeed. The factory burned all down. It started from outside. The same way was the house burned." she said and kept reading. I looked at her. But Yu-san seemed to be cold and really over taken to read more about that case. Though there was a odd feeling. A detective that really was helping. In Tokyo it would be different. But I still didn't trust anyone with a uniform.

"The couple was found in hit and run accident. The culprit was never found indeed. And the son was missing.." she said as she went on reading.

I tried not say anything about the missing son. Maybe it was me. I looked away only to notice something oddly in the file. There was a note in the lower part of the file saying 'redirect case number 855-94'. I didn't let the detective to finish reading, or to ask anything more. I pointed at the note. "What is the meaning of that?" i asked really serious.

Toka sighed, but she responded "It's another case. Those cases are some how connected!" she answered me and closed the file. She soon placed everything inside the box. "There are no more information about this case. Do you know anything more?" she asked me as she closed the box.

"I come here to find out. If i knew you think i would be hear asking?" i answered her with an attitude, that made her some how angry.

"Then there is nothing else to that case. You can go!" she said and lifted the box and put it back.

"What about the other case? What was it about?" I asked her. Maybe there was a clue that could some how link both cases.

But she pushed me out of the room. "It has nothing to do with you! Go now!" she voiced.

I rolled my eyes in anger. That's why i didn't like police officers. They don't really help you. Like she did then. I moved back and tried to re-enter the room. But the door was closed. There was no way i could go in. Before Toka, grabbed and pulled me off the door. I noticed the back window. It some how seemed opened. I kept that info back in my mind. And then started yelling at her.

"Thank you for the help really. Is that how you help? But there was nothing more i would wait from a police officer." I went on yelling at her. But she simply grabbed my hand and pulled it on my back, and pressed it. Then she almost dragged me off the police station. I was surprised she was strong. Really strong. "You have my card. Call me and if I have anything new about the case i will tell you!"she simply said and walked off.

I shook my head in confusion. There was a way I could get few more information about these case. But she closed my way. But really was I one of those people who would just accept that. I was far from that. For the time being i left. i went to a shop and eat some noodles. Few hours later, there was dark. The police station wasn't that crowed any more. I drove around it with my bike.

I could imagine now where exactly that window was. It was at the back side of the building. I drove there and parked my bike few steps away. I climbed the fence and there I was standing. But how could I get access to the window. Were the window should be, was only a wall nothing more. Although the was a metal ladder. It seemed it was leading in the roof. I jumped and grabbed it. I climbed up to the roof. It was only a five floor building. There was nothing in the roof. I searched around. But nothing that could allow me to get inside the building. After all it was a police station. It wouldn't be that easy.

I turned to climb down the same ladder. But then i notice a low opening. It was like a small window. I could really easy pass through it. I tried to open it. But i couldn't. My body acted before me even thinking. My fist punched through the glass and broke it. Thankfully the glass didn't drop down to make extra noise. Only the sound of my pouncing breaking it was heard. And it was only noticeable if you were around the roof area. I looked down, there were shattered glasses and drops of blood. I had hurt my hand as i broke the window. But I didn't pay match attention. I got on my knees and cleaned the rest of the glasses. Then I went through it gazing down. There was nothing really. Only some water pipes, the wall and under it there was a space. If i jumped down, i didn't know how low the gap was. I grabbed the pipes and balanced my body. Took a step each time and slowly i climbed my way down. I could notmsee clearly. I slowly looked around and found what seemed like a window. Thankfully it was open and i went through it.

I took a deep breath and looked around. Where was I? And it seemed that my luck was with me. There I was inside the file room. The light wasn't much, but i could see and search if i wanted. But what was again the number case. 855-94... Not my parents case the other file case. That's what i wanted to find out. I started looking around. They were so many boxes. I felt really happy that i was in Japan. We keep everything so organized. Times like those its really helpful. I managed to file the box easily. I sat down close to small lighting area and opened the box. I looked at the file. It seemed it was a murder case. Seemed a year before my families case there was another case. A man was murdered. I read the details. It was such an awful kill. But how is that related with our case.

Reading few lines lower i found the answer. Why there was so many details, and how my family was connected. They witnessed the murder. They saw everything. Seemed that that person was a detective also. But the odd thing was. My parents weren't only there as witness about the murder, they were also there as witness for another case, an older one 771-88. I was really confused. What was happening there. So many dead people, so many information. I looked at the number and started looking for that case too. I needed answers. And now i needed more answers than ever.

Soon I came cross another case with the number 771-88. I pulled the box and opened it next to the other. But there was nothing there. The box was empty. Only few a note paper were left with some odd numbers. Nothing else. I went back and pulled again the files from the first box. I read it again. Then something else got my attention. The name of the detective. His last name was Yu. My mind stopped for a second. Was he some how related to detective from today. What was really happening. I gazed one more time at the file. But my luck ended there. Suddenly the door opened, and the dark room lighted up. I sat down trying to hide myself. But i could hear the steps coming closer where i was sitting. Tap- tap, step after step. I gazed up trying to think were i could hide myself. Only to have my gaze meet with Toka's eyes.

Time froze. My face had a lost expression like; i was caught. And she was really surprised to see me there. Few more drops of blood fell on the floor...

(( next chapter ))