Old friends

Unit S
Please log in to read the full chapter

Content warning: Death

 

Jisoo's legs grew heavier the further they walked. Soon, the bright lights of the station and the bustling streets were only a memory in the darkness behind him.

They had reached a park. Looming trees hid the inky sky and cast shadows in the lights of a few scattered street lamps. It had been a cool evening all along but Jisoo felt goosebumps rise on his skin when a surprisingly cold breeze hit him. The foliage around them whispered in the wind. Summer still seemed far away.

Finally, Shinji and Wonseok stopped, close enough to the lights to see but far enough to not be seen by anyone strolling past.

The monk swallowed thickly in anticipation. During the walk, he had contemplated whether to fight back - but he was outnumbered and fighting back would only anger them more. He wondered what they would do to him. Back in the days, they had beaten people up who had crossed them but by now - and especially after seeing Shinji's new tattoos – chances were that they had branched out into the forbidden realm of the Korean mafia. Or maybe they were Yakuza affiliated; Shinji was Japanese after all.

As if he had heard his thoughts, the elder smirked at Jisoo in a way that promised pain. The familiar sight was enough to stir up the accumulated anger of his middle and high school years. Somehow it went against his pride to simply accept whatever they had planned for him - even if that would make it worse.

Jisoo buried his fists in his pockets and defiantly stared at Wonseok's and Shinji's faces. He could feel Minghao and David standing behind him, although neither of them were touching him.

"Did you think it was a good idea to just leave like that, without a word? You broke our hearts, seriously, Josh," Shinji purred, fake sadness dripping from every word. "It's not nice to leave your friends behind like that, you know?"

Gritting his teeth, the monk forced himself not to lash out. He knew Shinji entirely too well and he knew that the tall male was just waiting for a reason to get started.

"What did you do after you ran off, hm? Did you join one of the other groups? Or did you live a righteous life?" Fake sadness had been replaced by contempt. "Just like mommy always wanted. She must be so proud." A snort followed.

Red hot anger rushed through Jisoo and his fists tightened at the derisive tone the other had used. "Don't talk about my mother like that," he hissed. It was one thing to attack him for his bad decisions but his family was entirely off-limits.

"Or what, Josh? Hm?" the tall male mocked. When the monk remained silent, Shinji snorted again. "."

Wonseok stepped forward and Jisoo gasped in pain and surprise when a hard kick from behind made him topple to the ground. Quickly, he got up again while the elder watched him, eyes shrouded in shadows. Ignoring the throb of the forming bruise across his calves, he straightened up. He had endured much worse in the monastery - and throughout the years before that.

"I think you deserve a punishment." Wonseok's voice was calm and Jisoo felt the hairs on his arms rise. Somehow the elder's coldness was a lot more threatening than Shinji's anger. At least the Japanese male was somewhat predictable in his actions.

Nonetheless, he tried to remain as calm as possible. "Four against one? Fair as always, hyung."

A lopsided smirk stretched Wonseok's lips while Shinji took an enraged step forward at Jisoo's flippant reply. "You little-"

"David should be enough," Wonseok cut his friend off, who shot him an annoyed look but remained silent.

Another kick immediately struck the monk, leaving him no time to react. For the second time this night, Jisoo's knees met gravel and he had to bite back a curse. He turned, trying to get up, but a harsh kick in his chest forced him back down. The pain took his breath away.

David's burly, leather-clad body was looming over him, a grin on his broad face.

One hand pressed to his chest, Jisoo coughed. He had expected them to fight dirty but attacking from behind was low even by their standards. "Bastard," he managed to mutter through clenched teeth before he winced at the feeling of David's hand in his hair.

If he was unlucky, this would be the end of the fight already.

At least he hadn't backed down.

"Come on, man. Give him a chance."

It surprised Jisoo to hear Minghao's voice. The Chinese male was usually quiet around his elders, although the monk knew that he could get quite talkative when he felt comfortable enough - usually in combination with several bottles of soju.

The good old days, filled with cigarette smoke, alcohol and violence.

David grinned at Minghao's words and took a step back - not without harshly yanking on Jisoo's hair.

The monk flinched when his neck cracked. His body hurt all over already but it was nothing he couldn't bear. Climbing to his feet, Jisoo glared at his opponent. "What the hell is your problem? Can't fight me fair and square? Afraid that I'll kick your again?" he spat and the grin slid from David's face at once.

They all knew that the monk had beaten David before. Although Jisoo was almost a full head shorter than the brawny American, he made up for it with speed and wit. Fighting dirty was his forte – or it had been, before he had entered the monastery where fighting just for the sake of it had been very much frowned upon. He had learned patience there, techniques, a code of honour. But that wouldn't help him against an opponent who was determined to inflict as much pain as possible.

Still, he was confident that he would be able to take David on in an at least somewhat fair fight.

"Come on, be a man" he taunted, already predicting the outcome. And his predictions didn't fail him.

" you!" David roared before he charged towards Jisoo like a bull.

It wasn't hard to sidestep him in his frenzy. The monk managed to grasp his opponent's leather jacket and with a single swipe of his leg, the male landed face-first on the dirty ground.

Jisoo had to suppress a smirk. Against Beings, he was completely powerless but Humans were a different matter. It felt good to have the upper hand again. The old excitement was burning in his veins - the hunger for a fight, the promise of blood, the high after winning. He was itching to attack the fallen male, to bash his head against the concrete until blood poured out of his nose, until he regretted attacking Jisoo - but he wouldn't do it.

The monk's hand closed around the prayer beads dangling from his neck.

It had taken almost three years to leave Joshua Hong behind. He wouldn't allow him to emerge now.

Taking a step back, Jisoo watched as David slowly got up. Bloody scratches adorned his chin from where the gravel had cut it open and his face was distorted in anger. With a shout of rage, he jumped towards Jisoo but instead of dodging, the monk grabbed one of his arms, turned, and threw the much heavier man over his shoulder.

The sound of David's body hitting the ground was extremely satisfying.

Jisoo knew how it felt. He had been on the receiving end of this particular throw one too many times.

"What the ?!" Shinji sounded more surprised than angry.

When the monk looked up, his eyes met Minghao's. Although the younger was trying to keep his nonchalant facade in place, he couldn't quite hide the admiration in his gaze.

It had been hard to leave him behind. The most painful out of all his losses. It would be natural for Minghao to hate him since Jisoo had been too much of a wuss to say goodbye back then.

The monk stumbled when a hand wrapped around his ankle.

David used the moment of surprise to pull him down. Scrambling to get up, Jisoo pushed himself off the ground but his opponent was already behind him and the monk had barely gotten back to his feet when a vice-like grip closed around his shoulders. Jisoo suppressed a shout; it felt as if his bones were getting crushed between David's fingers.

Struggling, Jisoo managed to land a strike with his elbow and the tall male growled in pain and frustration, a noise that sounded barely human. With a yell, the monk broke free - but as soon as he tried to turn to land another hit, a vicious punch to his face had him reeling back.

Jisoo stumbled, dazed.

Please log in to read the full chapter