Stripped Warrior

Sun and Moon
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was quiet and Eunbi could only hear the breeze whisper in her ears. The person beside her did not talk since they stopped by the Han River bridge. They just stood there; staring down at the blue water with the bright reflection of the moon—creating an illusion that it is floating on the surface. Eunbi breathed—she needed that. Her saviour held her hand, “Who was that?” she asked and Eunbi turned to look at her, “Someone not important,” she answered but the younger girl was not satisfied.


“I know he’s not just anyone. Who is he?” 


“I told you, it was just no one,” Eunbi looked at her; hoping that it would make the younger girl stop—but she was wrong, “Could you stop trying to hide your pain like you’re all strong and mighty again? I know you cried as soon as I took your hand,” she said and Eunbi let out a deep breath. The younger girl was right—she always pretends to make herself look fine. She is going through something but she fails to recognize it herself. She knows that this person will not judge her no matter what but she suddenly kept her guard up. Maybe it was to protect her fragile heart?


Chaeyeon leaned on the railings of the bridge, her back facing the waters. “I could see the sadness in your eyes,” the younger girl paused and looked at the older girl, “You can smile but the stars started getting dim,” Chaeyeon said with a soft expression. Eunbi warmed up at the younger girl’s metaphor. She was not used to it. Chaeyeon had a different effect on her every time. Her words would always make Eunbi’s heart flutter; and in turn, making the older girl fall deeper.


Eunbi took in another breath; slowly letting it out to calm herself down. “I’ve been hearing them again, Chaeyeon,” she confessed and with her peripheral vision, she saw how the younger girl become tense. “Don’t worry. You saved me there,” Eunbi continued and Chaeyeon turned to look into the river. 


Chaeyeon looked away because she knows if she meets with Eunbi’s eyes, it will be the end of it. She does not want to risk making her feelings grow—it has already grown out of proportion. All that she could hear is the cars passing by and the loud beating of her heart as she stands next to the girl she loves. She wants to hug Eunbi right now; assure her that everything will be okay. Chaeyeon wants to be the one to guide her amidst the whispers in Eunbi’s mind. This is all that she asked for the moon—but the moon might not have heard her.


Eunbi leaned on the railings. It reminded her of when she wanted to end everything after realizing that her journey has been too long. She got tired and she thought eternal rest would be the solution. Right when she was about to jump, Chaewon, Suyoon, and Sohee called out to her. When she looked at the three, she was suddenly given a reason to live. She did not want to leave the kids alone. She still wants to reach her dreams with them. It was at that moment that Eunbi decided on her purpose of living: to enjoy life to the fullest and spending a lot of time with the people that matter.


The cold metal of the railings brought chills on Eunbi’s skin but it did not bother her. Chaeyeon looked at her again and reached out her hand in front of her; trying to block the older girl from leaning further. Eunbi got down and chuckled, “I won’t be jumping, silly,” she said and Chaeyeon clicked her tongue, “Don’t you know how dangerous that is? You might not want to jump but these railings can be slippery at times,” Chaeyeon raised her voice but concern was more evident in her face. Eunbi smiled, “I know nothing bad will happen to me because you’re there,” she said and Chaeyeon felt her cheeks burning.


The younger girl did not say anything in return; instead, she leaned on the metal bars again, Eunbi did the same. Chaeyeon turned to her, “Don’t lean too much, you might fall,” she stopped and looked down on the calm water beneath them, “And it might hurt,” Chaeyeon uttered and Eunbi thought to herself that it was an ironic statement. If only the younger girl knew that it was already too late. Without warning, she has fallen—and it did not just hurt, it was also comforting.


A few moments of silence passed and Eunbi decided to break the ice, “Should we go back? The others might be looking for us,” Eunbi said as she started fixing herself, “They know you’re with me,” Chaeyeon answered,


“You still want to stay?”


“Yes,”


“Why? It’s getting late and you look tired,”


“Let’s just stay for a couple of minutes,” Chaeyeon said and she looked at the older girl’s eyes. Again, they were drawn to each other. Their eyes were always like deep oceans that the other wants to explore. From the surface of their body to the depths of their thoughts—they want to know everything. Selfish as it may sound but it is the truth. Ever since they met, they could only think about the other person. They may not have noticed it but it happened. 


“Listen, Chaeyeon,” Eunbi said and Chaeyeon hummed to let the other girl know she is listening, “You never fail to make me feel secure. For some reason, when I saw you drag me out of that place, my tears fell down immediately. It was as if with the touch of your hand my armour got stripped off,” Eunbi admits and Chaeyeon does not know what to say. Not expecting a reply, the older girl continued, “My pride just got stepped on earlier but your presence made me feel better. I felt worthless. With a few words, I suddenly forgot every good thing that has ever happened to me. I am very sorry,” Eunbi apologized and she felt the warmth of Chaeyeon’s hand on her face again.


The younger girl wiped the tears streaming down the older girl’s face, “You are not worthless and I will never get tired of reminding you that. Besides, Sian is also there for you. Chaewon, Suyoon, and Sohee are also willing to lend an ear. We are always here for you, Eunbi. Don’t ever forget that,” Chaeyeon put her hand on Eunbi’s back, “I know that but I just can’t control myself sometimes,” Eunbi said as she put her head down. 


Not knowing what to say, Chaeyeon just stood there while slowly patting the older girl’s back. Silence enveloped the two again. They would always feel this way whenever they hang out. There was never a dull moment when they were together but that does not mean they always have something to talk about. They would enjoy the occasional break from getting to know each other better. They both know it was what they needed to calm their hearts. They both felt the same for each other but they are just too scared to admit it and confess.


After a few more moments, Eunbi’s phone rang and she immediately answered it, “Hm?” she said, “I’m still with Chaeyeon. We just went somewhere and will be back soon. Yes, we will. Thanks. Bye,” Eunbi ended the call. Chaeyeon looked at Eunbi and the latter knew what the former wanted to say, “It was Sian. She said the kids are getting worried,” and Chaeyeon just nodded as she stood up straight and turned her back on Eunbi to walk away. The older girl smiled as she followed suit. Observing Chaeyeon’s back just made Eunbi happy. Just seeing the younger girl instantly brightens up her world—she really is her sun.


Eunbi’s body acted against her will. She ran to Chaeyeon and as she got close, she hugged the younger girl from behind. Chaeyeon was taken aback but she let the older girl keep her in place. Eunbi tightened her hug and Chaeyeon felt it so she put her hand on top of Eunbi’s. “Thank you for existing, Chaeyeon,” Eunbi whispered softly and Chaeyeon’s lips curved into a small smile, “Thank you for not giving up, Eunbi,” Chaeyeon said in return and Eunbi could feel the tears forming on the edge of her eyes. 


Eunbi was about to pull away to wipe those tears away when Chaeyeon turned to face the older girl and closed the gap between the two of them. Eunbi closed her eyes as she felt home in Chaeyeon’s arms. Her tears fell down again—the warrior has removed her armour once more. Eunbi wrapped her arms around Chaeyeon in return. The moon constantly needed the warmth of the sun. 


The older girl silently cried while hugging the younger girl. Eunbi’s sobs were muffled by Chaeyeon’s clothes. Chaeyeon caressed Eunbi’s back to give her comfort. Eunbi knew she needed this; it has been long since she last cried. In a snap, she became so fragile; fortunately, Chaeyeon was here—she happens to always be there for her. Eunbi feels bad for Sian because she is the best friend but Eunbi has unconsciously built this wall between them so that the younger girl could move on. She knew it would be torture but it is not like she had another choice. They did not grow distant; Eunbi just wanted to believe that if she tries to restrain herself from being to clingy with Sian, the latter would learn to forget her feelings. Eunbi does not know when to stop but she wants it to be sooner because she is growing tired of this pretence. 


The two stayed on their grounds until Eunbi has finished crying her heart out. They began walking; their steps were slower and closer to each other. This was their lame attempt into spending more time with each other. Chaeyeon felt her hand brush against Eunbi’s and both of them got startled. Chaeyeon felt her cheeks burning while Eunbi’s eyes darted everywhere. Eunbi wanted to hold Chaeyeon’s hand; it was the only thing she wants to do in her life—but she reminded herself that she cannot get everything she wants.


They just walked and nobody talked. As

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter