Solar Eclipse

Sun and Moon
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Lee Chaeyeon was always seen as the happy person to everyone. Her warm smile would always provide others comfort; everyone felt this way, specially Eunbi. Ever since she was young, she would be dubbed as the child whose smile was on par with the sun’s brightness. She was a ball of sunshine and because of this, people fail to recognize that she also has her dark days.


If it was the Chaeyeon from years ago, she would be laughing if she was told where present Chaeyeon is now. She would never imagine that she would be able to show her skills to a lot of people; and, of course, find love. Past Chaeyeon was just Chaeyeon—nothing special, just the plain failure that she is.


All of the rejections once took a toll on Chaeyeon. To top everything off, the news of Somi’s, her close friend, debut devastated her; however, she kept wearing her warm smile even though she is jealous deep inside. Another thing was her sister’s upcoming debut. She gave way for it to happen but she could not help but feel regret and sadness. Chaeyeon was down and nobody dared to pick her up—all because everyone was used to her cheerful self.


People forgot that the brightest places have the darkest shadows.


 “This time, Chaeyeon, let me be the one to save you,” Eunbi said as she caressed the younger girl’s hair. Chaeyeon felt her warm tears streaming down her face. 


Never in Chaeyeon’s life that someone told her that it was okay to cry. Breaking down at the sight of others was not in Chaeyeon’s vocabulary. She never heard the comforting words she used to say herself—not until Eunbi came into her life. 


Because of Eunbi, Chaeyeon felt human.


The two stood there feeling each other’s warmth. Chaeyeon buried her head on the crook of Eunbi’s neck. Her back was curved due to their height difference but the younger girl did not mind. She took in Eunbi’s scent and cried her eyes out. 


Eunbi pulled away a few moments later. She cupped Chaeyeon’s face while wiping the trail of  tears on the younger girl’s cheeks. She made Chaeyeon look at her, “Let’s talk somewhere else, okay?” Eunbi said and Chaeyeon nodded. Eunbi held Chaeyeon’s hand and pulled the younger girl out of that place. They went to a park a few blocks away and Eunbi made sure to message Goyu that Chaeyeon and her would be out.


They sat down on a bench and they watched the kids play. Eunbi cleared , “Tell me everything, Chaeyeon. What is on your heart right now?”


Chaeyeon closed her eyes, “I’m hurt,” she stopped as she was feeling the tears about to fall again but she continued anyway, “I hate myself because I feel like I’m selfish for feeling hurt,”


Eunbi reached for Chaeyeon’s hand, “You’re never selfish for feeling things,”


“I failed myself and I failed you, Eunbi,” Chaeyeon shot her eyes open, “We promised that we will never feel jealous because of the rankings but I felt disappointed,” Chaeyeon opened to continue talking but she bit her lower lip.


“Go on,” Eunbi knows what Chaeyeon wanted to say but she wants to hear them from the younger girl herself.


“Sorry,” Chaeyeon swallowed her words and just looked down. Eunbi squeezed the younger girl’s hand, “I’m listening, Chaeyeon. Let me do for you what you always do for me,”


Chaeyeon cleared , “I am never confident with myself but when I am dancing, everything seems to fall into place,” Chaeyeon looked into Eunbi’s eyes again, “It’s the only thing I am confident about. Seeing my name fall on third place when I expected first really got to me. I am happy for you, Eunbi; but I can’t help but be mad at myself,”


Eunbi returned Chaeyeon’s gaze, “I know how it feels to be put down at something you do best. Believe me, Chaeyeon, feeling that is inevitable,” Eunbi faced Chaeyeon properly and put her free hand on top of Chaeyeon’s, “When I was slowly consumed by my envy and hatred, you were there to save me. If not for you, I would’ve given up and accepted the negativities,”


“Eunbi, no. You’re my girlfriend and I should be happy whenever you achieve something,”


“Chaeyeon, you are my girlfriend and I don’t need to force you to be happy whenever I am; specially when you’re clearly hurt. I don’t want to be that kind of person,”


Chaeyeon started feeling her tears trickling down her cheeks again. Eunbi was really the person she was looking for. The older girl was there to show her that it is okay not to be okay. Eunbi understands her situation and lets her be herself. It was as if Eunbi could see right through her and, in turn, say the words she could not admit.


The younger girl wrapped her arms around the older girl’s waist and slid closer to close the gap between them. Chaeyeon buried her head on the crook of Eunbi’s neck again. There she let her tears fall once more. Eunbi felt Chaeyeon’s tears so she hugged the younger girl back.


Eunbi let Chaeyeon cry her eyes out. She knew that the younger girl rarely speaks her mind out. Just breaking down in front of Eunbi is a huge step for Chaeyeon. All this time, the sun gave light to everyone and they took it for granted—failing to see that the sun was alone and lonely.


A few more minutes passed and the two pulled away when Eunbi’s phone rang. The older girl answered it as Chaeyeon wiped the tears off of her face. Eunbi stood up to answer the call and Chaeyeon watched her. The younger girl started admiring Eunbi more. Every moment that passes, she just learns to love the older girl more. She was feeling better until a small voice slowly took over her mind. Chaeyeon closed her eyes and tried her best to ignore it. 


The voice was getting louder and Chaeyeon put her hands over her ears but to no avail. Chaeyeon could not hear anything but the said voice. It lasted for quite some time until Chaeyeon felt a familiar warmth wrap around her body. She slowly opened her eyes and saw Eunbi’s worried face. 


The older girl brought Chaeyeon’s head to her chest and hugged her tight. Eunbi’s heartbeat started overpowering the voice that bothered Chaeyeon a while ago. The younger girl calmed down and her heart started to race. She could hear the messy rhythm of Eunbi’s heart and that is the same rhythm that her heart follows right now. Chaeyeon closed her eyes and let their synchronized heartbeats bring her back to sanity.


Eunbi rubbed the younger girl’s back. She knew Chaeyeon needed her the most now. For most people, the rankings might be a small thing and crying about it is childish. They only think that way because they do not know how important this is for the participants. They fail to put themselves on the shoes of the participants; they don’t know how hard it is to feel like you aren’t doing enough on your own craft.


Despite Goyu’s reminder over phone for them to immediately come back as the announcements would commence soon, Eunbi made this a time for Chaeyeon and her. Eunbi kissed the crown of Chaeyeon’s head; instantly, Chaeyeon’s heartbeat was twice as fast.


Suddenly, their roles were reversed. It was usually Chaeyeon who comforts a crying Eunbi. Now, it is the knight that took of her armor. Chaeyeon has put up a façade but Eunbi came and destroyed it. The younger girl does not complain; instead, she is thankful.


Chaeyeon pulled away after some time but Eunbi did not remove her arm on the former’s shoulder. The younger girl looked at Eunbi, “Thank you,” she smiled and the older girl did the same, “I just did what I thought is right,” Eunbi told her.


“I didn’t know I have been keeping a lot in my heart. I guess my expectations for myself took a toll on me,” Chaeyeon started opening up and Eunbi listened carefully.


“I never had someone to tell my troubles to, you know,” the younger girl looked at Eunbi, “Seunghyeon and Youngin are just recent friends. They really don’t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter