Every Day Is Your First In Life

Jitters

Joshua’s POV

 

I purposefully got to the cafe way before opening, still rubbing my tired eyes to manage to wake up. I put on my apron and exhaled loudly, letting my worries come out with it. You would think that a barista would view coffee as sacred and drink only the best, but somehow or another, the only drink I can actually enjoy is a cup of chai tea. I filled up and started heating the huge kettle of boiling water, grabbed a tea bag, and soon took a soothing sip of my safe haven. As relaxed as I may sound, I was terrified to see Rosé. Not only did I let myself be vulnerable in front of the girl I liked throughout school, but I chose the most obvious song choice to sing in front of her, and then did the most cliche move a person could make, but I totally ruined froze when she let herself get vulnerable as well.

I grabbed my favorite book underneath the table and hit my head against it, hoping that I could somehow forget about how embarrassing I was. 

“You’re fine Josh, you’re fine. You were cool.” I said as if I was Dorthy wanting to go back home to Kansas. 

“Good morning!” I heard a voice yell way to loud this early in the morning. “Had a rough first date Josh with the newbie?” None other than Irene teased. 

Hold up, what did she just say? 

“Did you forget so easily that I’m a regular at the music cafe. If only I could record how drama-like you swooned her away from the crown after serenading her!” She laughed obnoxiously. 

I gave her an unamused expression, pushing her toward the kitchen. “Shouldn’t managers be responsible and care for their business. Help me restock.” 

She stuck her tongue out at me and listened to my suggestion, hulling ginormous bags of espresso beans and turmeric. 

“As an employee and my non-blood related younger brother, shouldn’t you be doing the dirty work. I’m feeling faint I’m going to sit on the couch for a bit before opening.” She laughed. 

Sometimes wish I wasn’t too nice. But she’s been the only family I have over here.

But no matter how much I mopped, restocked, and brewed, I still couldn’t stop replaying the whole scene. I retold the story to Irene, who surprisingly had a serious and concerned face the whole time. I started with telling her how big of a crush I had on her in middle school and how my feelings resurfaced senior year, also how obvious her feelings were as well. Then how much I just wanted to rekindle the friendship, but being so scared about the results. Despite my past feelings, I still had something with Joy out of guilt for my sick mom, who’s biggest wish is for her son to be with her best friend's daughter. There’s only a few times I’ve seen Irene be so serious, but this was definitely one of those moments. 

“This is what your going to do, forget about the past, and act as if you just met. The past is the past, including your feelings about her or anyone else. Everyday is the first time in your life, so keep going forward.” She said giving me a pat on the back. “I sound like an old fart but, you’ve only got one youth, don’t worry about your past mistakes, just continue being the best you.” 

Somehow those words struck a string in my heart. I guess this is how it feels having a sibling. 

 

We got up from our seats and did an air punch in the air to give us the motivation to actually start our day. I stood by the espresso bar and anticipating the door chimes awaiting me.

 

Rosé’s POV

 

Don’t be suspicious. Don’t be suspicious. Act normal. He’s just being nice to you and your taking it the wrong way. Taking in a deep breath, I entered the cafe with my diary in hand, ready to serve some drinks and get closer to my writing goals. 

“Good morning noobie!” Irene chimed. “I’m going to teach you how to prepare desserts so get those muscles ready.” 

She’s definitely the extrovert I need in my life to keep me energized. I went to the coffee bar and immediately clash into none other than Joshua Hong.

“I’m so sorry! I’m always zoning out in the morning.” I said turning into a tomato as usual.

“Your good,” he laughed, making his eyes look like glimmering crescents. “How’d your commute go?” He said casually.

I guess he wasn’t bothered by yesterday’s events or maybe I was just another weirdo that he’s trying to be friendly with out of the kindness of his heart. “I mean five blocks is such a hike so I’m pretty tired,” I joked just as casually. We both smiled for a moment, as if we froze in the warmth of the moment.

“It’s way too early to flirt, noobie we’ve got cakes to decorate.” 

“IRENE!” Josh and I exclaimed a little too symbiotically.