Dreams Do Come True

Jitters

We hopped on the Q train to head toward the mystery destination where Josh promised to “show me his skills”. Oddly enough, the train was jam packed and filled, making me cling to the handle bar for dear life. Even Josh had a stressed look, which was a giveaway that he wasn’t a New York native.

“Still a car dependent LA boy at heart aren’t ya?” I teased. To my defeat, the subway jerked for its next stop and I lost grip on the handle bar, tripping to the death of my dignity. Thankfully, two hands held my shoulder before I hit the fall.

“Doesn’t seem like your completely adjusted either,” he whispered as all eyes sneered and chuckled at me. His eyes wrinkled into a smile and he hid his undeniable laugh behind his hand.

The weird thing was that I didn’t jitter and my anxiety melted into nothing. “Take a seat before you knock everyone off this subway like a bowling ball,” he motioned toward the now vacant row as the train emptied. I smacked his hand jokingly out the way before I sat down in the seat in front of him. He sat right beside me and again put a hand on his heart joking, “for your information, these hands saved you from humiliation.” I couldn’t help myself from laughing; I guess his charming skills were still up to par.

The sullen Josh who could barely teach me how to clean an espresso machine seemed more like himself again.

“I’m glad your feeling a bit better, you seemed a bit down about that date you talked about,” I said fiddling with my bracelet. He scratched his head and his expression gave away that I just reminded him of what he was upset about. Ugh I’m a jerk. “Forget about it, I’m sorry to bring it up it’s none of my business.”

He let out a deep breath. “Don’t worry, I don’t mind talking about it. It’s just my mom is super supportive of me chasing toward my dreams but I know a part of her is trying to convince me to come back to Cali to settle down. She set me up on a blind date, which I didn’t first reject out of respect for her. But guess who was there? Joy who apparently now lives in the city too.”

My heart tugged a little.

“My mom knows that I wouldn’t continue the blind date, but of course she had to choose someone who I know and plus it’s her best friend's daughter. I chickened out and told Joy I wasn’t feeling good because it’s just-,” he paused for a few seconds. “I don’t think I’m ready just yet.”

It was just a whole lot to take in. Joy is here? Just why is he here in the first place? So I used every brave bone in my body to just ask, “so, what is your dream?”

“That‘s what I have to show you. C’mon let’s get off of this stop.”



 

As we walked out of the station, the towering buildings seemed smaller and the streets less quiet.

“Welcome to the Village, a LA native’s safe haven.” Joshua said as if he was announcing he discovered buried treasure. He was such a kid sometimes.

But he was right. The sidewalks were lined with outdoor tables and string lights, filling the air with the sound of live music. People seemed more carefree and relaxed, as if they weren’t in one of the busiest cities in the country.

“So was your dream to be a travel agent?” I joked.

He looked unamused and said, “Just follow me Rosie.”

We walked a couple of blocks until he stops in front of a dimly lit place with bright blue lights that read “Cafe Tune”. He motioned for me to come inside, and quickly I was surrounded by small circular tables filled with people, listening intently and cheering toward a small stage where a band covered a Cold Play song so originally that it sounded like a new song. We reached a table but with only one empty seat.

“Hold on I’ll be right back.” He said quickly before disappearing into the dark ocean of people.

I found myself so immersed in the band’s performance and the artsy kid in me was finally enjoying herself. The lead guitarist strung each string delicately and the vocalist sang so sincerely that the crowd was astounded. The whole room seemed to groan as the announcer thanked the band for its last song. Why hasn’t Josh come back though?

“Next we’ll have Cafe Tune’s new favorite artist, Joshua do a surprise performance to end tonight’s showings.”

I noticed some girls screamed when none other than Joshua Hong stood on stage, and my jaw dropped. He held an auburn acoustic guitar and a stage presence that made him seem like a different person.

“This song goes out to my old friend from highschool. This is it Rosie.”

 

He did it. His dream was still to be a singer.