Do Rainy Days Have To Be Gloomy?

Jitters

Rosé

The cold rain hits my new blouse, turning the vibrant green into a dull mossy color. The wind picks up and everyone around me quickens their pace while I just want to slow down. 

“If you can make it here, you can make it anywhere,” is what they say about New York City. Maybe the city doesn’t like girls with red hair named Rosè who aspire to be a writer, because I just failed another job interview. 

“Don’t worry, be happy...” sang my phone ringtone ironically, indicating that my mom was calling to see how the interview went. Although it hurt me to do it, I declined her calls, too overwhelmed with the bad news and everything that came with it.

How was I going to afford living here anymore?  The months of saving up for my big city move was running out and I couldn’t bear to ask my mom for money. 

“Achoo,”I almost yelled sneezing. I didn’t even realize it but I was shivering from the cold rain. The last thing I need right now is to get sick.

Seeing a sign that read “The Bean Coffee Shop” from across the street, I ran toward it, seeking a warm shelter and some caffeine that would probably do me some good. 

The smell of espresso and the warmth of the café cheered me up a bit and I chose the nearest empty couch so I could take a seat. 

“Ah,” I said in bliss thinking out loud. For now, all I want to do is unwind and forget about the future and the worries that come with it. I took a deep breath and closed my heavy eyes, emptying my mind of the day’s troubles. 

Joshua

Another day, another long shift. It was supposed to be summer vacation but it seems like the only trip I’ve been taking is going into the storage room and organizing the different types of coffee beans. I mean I shouldn’t be complaining, I am getting paid for it. 


Although there were some days I dreaded going to work, for the most part I loved it. The smell of coffee, getting to meet new faces, and making drinks that seemed to match the customers personalities were the pros that outweigh the cons. Everyday was its own interesting story.

After a morning and noon full of odd orders and people desperate to get their caffeine, I looked at my watch and happily saw the digits 4:00. It was the one hour where business slowed and I could finally take some time to read and set up the café playlist to my taste. 

I plopped myself into my comfy chair behind the counter and looked at the rain outside, deciding that some calming low-fi music would fit the mood of the weather. Just like the seasons have their own theme of colors, the weather should have its themed playlist. With only a few customers silently chatting, I grabbed my book and soared through its pages. Finally some peace and quiet. 

The ring of the bell from an opened door brought me back to reality. 
“Welcome to The Bean, can I help y-” I said while the red velvet haired girl completely ignored my greeting. And for good reason, she was absolutely soaked. She collapsed onto the small coach, giving an embarrassingly loud sigh of relief. I chuckled. 

In almost seconds, the girl fell asleep and snored ever so slightly. Rough day I guess. 

The hours flew by and the thunder and lightning continued to shake the stormy city. Customers ran to their homes with umbrellas in hand, and the weather advisory alerts from my phone beeps every so often. 


My signature ringtone exclaims,“Ka-chow!” from Lighting McQueen, with the text reading that my boss wanted me to close early and go home due to the weather. 

I looked at the redhead girl, who was still slouched on the coach, looking as if she was glued to it. I wasn’t one of the most smoothest guys when it came to girls so my mind raced of ways I could wake her up. Before I could even decide what to do, I ended up making a rosehip tea, my personal specialty, that would give her the energy and warmth she probably needed to go home. 

I set the cup on the table in front of her, still unsure of what to do next. Think smooth Josh, think smooth!

I came close to her chair, getting a glimpse of her face that peeked through her tousled hair. Her makeup looked a bit smudged but still utterly flawless, and her skin seemed to glow from the rest she was getting. She looked so familiar though.

Just before I was going to nudge her shoulder to wake her up, her head shot up.

“SIR I AM VERY QUALIFIED FOR THIS JOB!” she almost screamed with confidence.

I froze, both shocked and amused at this weird stranger. 

“Miss, The Bean will be closing due to the storm. I saw you falling asleep on the couch so I made some tea for you to warm up and head back,” I said still quivering from her waking up so spontaneously. It seemed like she was shaking her head in disbelief of how long she’d passed out. She looked at my face for a moment before putting her head down and getting up from the chair.“If you’re wondering, it’s close to seven o’clock.” 

She face palmed in embarrassment, which I found kinda adorable, and started heading toward the door. 

“Miss your purse and tea!” I said running toward the door. Maybe it was the storm or the long day at work but I realized this red headed stranger was from my hometown.

Rosé

Of all days, of all the places in the city, it had to be him.