Panic

Melancholia: The Act of Disappearing
Please log in to read the full chapter

Jin felt a euphoria fade when he found the sirens outside his house. Irene jumped to grasp him in her tight embrace. Cotton Joonmyun glared behind a worried expression while Namjoon sighed in relief. Lisa hugged him after Irene turned away.

    “What’s going on?” he asked, exasperated. Then he realised the darkness. He had stayed with Jisoo for so long, that he forgot to answer Joonmyun’s calls.

There was a heavy silence. Irene gazed at him, her face twisted in sorrow. Then, her lips curled into an ugly frown. Her hand pulled back, and the next thing he knew was his cheek stinging. He tasted blood, staggering a bit from the force. Irene continued her tirade, smacking her fists over him in a furore.

    “Where did you go, Seokjin? Where? Don’t you’ve any idea how worried we were?” she screamed. Joonmyun and Namjoon pulled her back. She collapsed on her knees, sobbing into her palms.

    “Irene…” Jin stared at the ground. “I’m sorry. It’s not what you think.”

Lisa knelt beside him, a protective arm thrown around his shoulder. “Look babe. That ain’t the way to treat your cousin. He’s old enough to have longer curfews.”

    Irene’s glare would have fried the girl to ashes. Her lips twisted again into that haughty frown. “Don’t interrupt us, girl. Don’t cross that line when you don’t know anything about him.”

    “Irene, stop shouting,” said Joonmyun. He rubbed the line between his brows. “It’s my fault. I overreacted.”

    “And you had every right to! Not when that idiot avoided your calls!” Irene barked at him.

The police officers scribbled into a notepad, as professional as ever. “I take it that he’s fine. Alright. We’re off.” They hopped back into the car. Lisa turned to Jin, helping him back on his feet.

    “You okay?” She touched the bruise on his cheek, her large eyes glimmering. “Oh man, that’s gonna stay for a week. Girl’s got power.” She shot Irene a scowl. “At least apologise!”

    Namjoon stuffed his hands into his trousers, gold chains around his neck glinting over his chest. He whistled. “Damn boy. You just had to go wanderin’ off with a nameless girl and get yerself in this mess.”

    “Girl?” Irene sniffed. “What girl?”

Jin flushed. “I-It’s nothing!”

    “Is this the same girl you chased down the motorway on my bike?” Lisa shook her head. “I told you it was a crush!”

    “Lisa!” “Jin?” “Irene!” “Shut up Joonmyun!” “Lisa…” “Jin, no!” “KIM SEOKJIN!”

“Namjoon!” cried Namjoon. He cleared his throat when he became the cynosure of all eyes. “I need to head to bed. Now that pretty boy’s fine, g’night.” He retreated back into the apartment.

    “I really need to know why you’re so hung up over Jin having a girlfriend.” Lisa crossed her arms.

    Irene pointed a rude finger at her. “You’re too young to be interrupting! Didn’t I tell you?”

    Jin hissed. “Lisa! She’s not my girlfriend.”

“But why’s Irene overreacting?”

    “It’s because he tried to kill himself!”

A silence hung in the air. Jin swallowed the knot in his throat. Lisa slowly turned to face him. Her eyebrows furrowed. opened but no words escaped. She reached for his hand but he pulled away. He knew it--she would only judge him too.

    He stared at the point of his shoes. “I’m sorry you had to drive over, Irene. I’m sorry you have a sorry excuse of a friend, Lisa. I’m sorry you’re the loser who has to watch over me, Joonmyun.” He sighed, rubbing the back of his neck. His eyes burned with tears. Why did Irene’s big mouth reveal the truth? Now Lisa would never acknowledge him again. “I’m going to bed.”

    Before the others could protest, Jin stomped his way into the house, and locked the door on them. The place was neat, unlike the morning. Joonmyun had a knack for keeping things meticulous. Jin leaned against the door, sliding till he hunkered. His sniffed. A teardop on his hand. Then two, and little by little the emotions swirled. He sobbed against his fist.     

    It’s not Irene’s fault. All you ever do is make people worry. This is no different to the time you bullied Jisoo. You’re not worth it, Seokjin. You don’t deserve them. You don’t deserve to be here.

    “Hey.” Namjoon appeared in the corridor. He had lied about going to bed, it seemed. “They were just worried, yo. You shouldn’t be so hard on them.”

    “I had them worried.” Jin rubbed his eyes vigorously. What a humiliating night. “Why do people have to care so much?”

    “I hope that’s a rheotorical question, ‘cause I’m not about to answer it.” Namjoon chuckled, but straightened himself when Jin glared. “But foo, there’s a reason why people care so much.

        It’s just love, man.”

 

An hour had passed before Jin let the others in. Lisa had to go home on account of her parents. She texted him goodnight, but that was it. It was over. Jin knew it. Lisa came from a strong Christian background. Her parents would not accept him if they knew what he tried to do. It took an hour, but Lisa sent him a comedy that she was currently watching. 

'I hope you're alright, Jino. You can talk to me if you want' she had texted. He never understood why she made him smile.

    Joonmyun opened the fridge. He looked over his shoulder, perhaps scrutinising the sodden faces. A warm smile crossed his face. “Someone told me you really like chicken, Seokjin.”

    Jin pursed his mouth. “I’m not hungry.”

When Joonmyun removed his pot of chicken stew, Jin’s stomach growled. Irene’s eyes went wide. Before he knew it, she crumpled into herself, laughing. Her laughter eventually became tears. He hesitated, but gathered her into his arms. Irene hugged him as if he would disappear if she let go.

    “Oh my dear Seokjin. I’m so sorry,” she whispered.

“I’m sorry.” He buried his face on her shoulder. Joonmyun’s footsteps grew distant. Irene tightened her embrace.

    “No, no. It’s not your fault. I panicked. But you promised me you wouldn’t ever consider it again. I should’ve trusted you.”

    His stomach twisted into knots. With a dry swallow, he said, “Yeah. Yeah, I did.”

She kissed his cheek. “I’m sorry for hitting you.”

    It’s because you care for me. And that’s because you love me.

Irene pulled back, rubbi

Please log in to read the full chapter