Closer

Melancholia: The Act of Disappearing
Please log in to read the full chapter

The sunlight spilled over the empty ramen place. Jin watched the last leaves of autumn swivel to the door, and the frustrated owner, an old yet kindly man, sweep them outside. The wind howled against the glass. Those mornings, Joonmyun had forced Jin out of bed early, and made him run a few rounds before he could get breakfast. Jin began to hate him a little more over the next seven days.

    He had arrived yesterday to find a bicycle waiting for him, and Taehyung rode with him to meet Jisoo during the week. He thought his stepfather would not heed his wish, he never did in the past. But outside the chrysalis that was the ramen shop, outside in that cold, windy world, where the leaves and papers twisted in the air like snowflakes, his bicycle stood stout against the howling wind.

    Jin smiled.

The bells on the door chimed. Jisoo walked in. They paused for a moment, staring at one another. Her eyebrows angled, and he felt his skin bare his soul. She had that strange ability, that made his stomach churn.

    Jisoo settled opposite him, and they ordered their favourite ramens. She always took the spiciest one that the shop offered. He never thought someone as fragile as her would do that. But there were so many things he never knew about her.

    “Today’s the last day of autumn,” he said.

Jisoo nodded. She stared out the window. Her initial mask dissipated, and he saw that expression again. The same expression she wore on the day he first went to her practice.

    “There’s something so daunting about the winter,” she said.

He chuckled. “For real? I love the winter. Can’t wait till it snows.”

    “I hate the snow!” Jisoo scowled. He was slightly taken aback. That was also unexpected.

They vanished in a moment of silent, thoughts hovering over their heads. Like bubbles. Like the leaves that left their trees, and joined the wind.

    Jin cleared his throat. “Then what’s your favourite season?”

“Summer, of course. I like it when it’s warm, when there’s so many people. The world just seems like a friendlier place, you know?”

    The sun was the same as the fire he almost started. The fire that was meant for her thick, dark hair. The two braids were dishevelled, and he had ripped a generous amount of hair from her scalp.

Jin suddenly felt sick. Bile rose up his throat. His appetite fled him, even when the old man brought them their cartons of ramen.

    “Why summer? It’s full of sweaty and lazy people.” At least the winter was empty, empty enough for his thoughts to remind him what a jerk he was.

    You don’t deserve to live, Seokjin. You were meant to jump off that bridge a long time ago.

“I don’t like how lonely winter is,” she replied. She slurped her noodles, famished. “Sometimes…” She shook her head. “No, nevermind.”

    He wanted to pesture her further, curious about her inner thoughts. But he allowed them to bask in the silence. For once, it was a comfortable silence. Just the two of them, shielded from the chaotic world in a tiny, warm ramen shop.

    “I see you’ve a new bike?” Jisoo asked.

“Yeah. Just got it yesterday.” He twirled his chopsticks through the noodles. “It’s easier to carry Taehyung over.” Jin grimaced. “That boy looks like a stick, but he’s actually pretty heavy.”

    She giggled. “I never knew you to be the brotherly type.”

“Hey! I’m not a--” He found it difficult to emote himself. He never thought of Taehyung as a friend, but when he did reminicise their moments, and Lisa’s expectant questions, seeking his wis

Please log in to read the full chapter