I Wrote A Song About You

I Wrote A Song About You

Yuju was working in the music industry. She was writing lyrics. Last week, she was demanded  to write a new song: a love song. The problem was that this time she was not very inspired since her life was boring as hell all the more because she broke up with her boyfriend. She was looking for inspiration. But she didn’t know how. She went to see some romance movie but she didn’t get inspired from it. It was too cliche. She wanted something new and unique. She was so hopeless that she decided to find love again only for that purpose. So she went to a blind date to see if one of the contestants will light up the flame within her. She needed that flame when it comes to writing love songs. Yet, no one was able to light it. A week passed and she only got now two others to write the song. 

One day, she had an idea. She thought about asking the artist in question. She will ask him or her about his or her love life. Yuju got the phone number through her company. She called the number and the manager responded. She made an appointment with the artist through the manager. She chose a cafe. The following day, Yuju put some nice clothes on her and makeup. She tried to look professional with some casual clothes. She didn’t recognize herself when she looked in the mirror, she was pretty though.  She arrived at the cafe but she didn’t know how the artist looked. All she knew was that she was a girl still unknown to the public and that her stage name was SinB. She entered the cafe and it was crowded. She regretted her choice as it was also very noisy. She thought that she will leave a bad first impression on the artist. But for the moment what was worrying  the most was that the latter was nowhere to be seen. Maybe was she late ? Suddenly Yuju bumped into someone: it was a girl. She excused herself but the moment she saw her face, her heart skipped a beat. Never had she seen someone this mesmerizing. All that lasted only a few seconds, but she was left  breathless. Screw the meeting with the artist ! She had now everything she was looking for. She came back home with no regrets. She knew what she had done with the artist was not cool. But she was too inspired for the moment so she didn’t want to waste the opportunity to write the song. She thought about the stranger who caught her eyes. She thought about her blonde hair, about her red lips, about her sparkling eyes … Yuju didn’t even wonder why a girl caught her eyes and not a boy. But it didn’t matter to her. Love was infinite: there were no limits nor borders. She spent the entire night writing the song. When she finished, she noticed how the lyrics were poetic but also sometimes too explicit. She felt embarrassed for having writing such things about a stranger. The lyrics show pretty well how she was hopeless to be with her, even to do unorthodox things with her or to her while staying strangers. It was almost midnight and she was still thinking about her. She couldn’t sleep. She received a message from her manager scolding her for having missed the meeting with SinB. But she ignored it as her mind was too occupied with the stranger.

The next day, she told her manager that she had finished the song. He was surprised but then he announced that he will transfer it to the singer. Yuju felt free and relieved. She decided to celebrate her success. So the night she went to the club. She decided to drink a lot in order to relieve the stress she stored. Some minutes later, she was completely drunk but she didn’t mind. She went to the dance floor. It was crowded, still the familiar blond-haired girl didn’t go unnoticed. Yuju’s body moved by itself as it approached the girl. The alcohol made her do something she would have never done sober. She grabbed the waist of the girl and danced behind her. The latter turned slowly her head towards Yuju and the latter was just so drunk in love. Yuju still managed to notice the red eyes of the girl which indicated that she was also drunk. The girl seemed semi-unconscious, as she let Yuju do whatever she wanted. Except that Yuju didn’t do anything because she didn’t want to. She was not the kind of person who takes advantage of drunk people. The other girl seemed desperate. Yuju didn’t notice it. That’s why the blonde girl took Yuju’s hands and guided them on her abs. Yuju was confused but she was too drunk to mind it. Especially when deep down she loved what the other girl was doing. So when the latter attacked her lips with hers. She let her do so. But she didn’t kiss back because she wasn’t sure whether the other girl was acting like that because she was drunk. However, she felt the other girl frustrated because of that. Indeed she was more and more aggressive: she pushed Yuju towards a wall while her lips were still ravishing hers. Yuju was just so tempted to touch her when the girl bit her lips while kissing her. But Yuju didn’t allow the girl’s tongue to enter . So suddenly the other girl broke the kiss and hit the wall with her knuckle: 

 

  • Let me !! she said and Yuju swore the scent of alcohol coming from the girl’s mouth was just too strong. 

 

  • You are drunk. You don’t know what you are doing. Yuju replied. 

 

  • No, I am not. The other girl was speaking as if she was on the verge of crying. Please, let me !

 

  • What is your name ? asked out of the blue Yuju as if she wanted to change the subject. But also because she really wanted to know. Her question kind of had the reaction she wanted as the other girl’s face softened. She looked shy. 

 

  • Oh … Eunbi. And you ? she asked softly. 

 

  • I am Yuju. said Yuju with a smile. She felt so lucky to have met the girl again and now she even get her name. 

 

  • Yuju …

 

  • Yeah ? 

 

  • Can I ask you a favor ? 

 

  • Sure, tell me ? Yuju swore that she would do anything for the twinkling eyes in front of her. 

 

  • Kiss me. 

 

Yuju was just so shocked. She didn’t expect that.

 

  • You shouldn’t kiss a stranger, Eunbi. 

 

The smile on Eunbi’s face faded. And her eyebrows frowned like before. 

 

  • Why ? Please, kiss me ! 

 

  • You don’t know me. 

 

  • I don’t care. Kiss me and it will feel like I know you. Yuju didn’t know why but this sentence remind her of some lyrics she had written but she couldn’t remember the song.

 

Yuju gave in. She landed her lips on Eunbi’s ones. She couldn’t describe what she felt: it was like fireworks were celebrating in her mind. So what she wrote in the song was right. Her lips tasted indeed like cherry. Suddenly she felt Eunbi crave for more. The latter tilted her head to capture in a better way her lips. She looked so desperate like this as if she feared Yuju’s lips were going to disappear from her view. Yuju didn’t want to kiss her like that. So she let Eunbi kissed her aggressively while she tried to do the contrary. However Eunbi was too stubborn to slow down the pace or to get rid of her aggressiveness. Yuju wondered how long the kiss really lasted but deep down she didn’t care. She nearly didn’t want it to stop. But she eventually did. If it was not for Eunbi’s alcohol scent, she wouldn’t have though. But the scent reminded her that their kiss was only due to alcohol. When Yuju broke the kiss, she noticed how their lips were swollen. She also noticed the confused look on Eunbi’s face. 

 

  • Why did you stop ? asked the latter. 

 

  • Because you are drunk. answered honestly Yuju. 

 

  • Was I bad ? You didn’t like it, did you ? 

 

  • No you weren’t and I did. I did like it. To tell you the truth I loved it.

 

  • Why, then ? Eunbi looked very revolted. 

 

  • Because what I didn’t like is that you are drunk. 

 

  • So what ! I am maybe drunk but I do know what I am doing.

 

  • Is that so ? Tell me then, why did you kiss me ? 

 

  • Because I wanted to. 

 

  • Why did you want it ? Yuju knew she was surely annoying with all the questions but she couldn’t let this chance. She wanted to know if she had a chance with the girl. 

 

Yet, Eunbi didn’t seem to know what to answer. Yuju felt disappoint. 

 

  • I see, you just wanted to have fun. said Yuju.

 

Suddenly, Eunbi took her hand and guided her outside the club. Yuju let her do so. They arrived in a park near the club. The atmosphere there was just so different. It was calm and it didn’t feel like suffocating, it was literally a breath of fresh air. Eunbi seemed different too: she seemed sober. 

 

  • Why did you bring me here ? Yuju asked.

 

  • Tell me about yourself. 

 

  • Why ? 

 

  • Because I want to know you. 

 

  • What’s the point of knowing me when you will never meet me again. 

 

  • Why ? Are you leaving ? Are you dying ? Eunbi seemed worried all of a sudden. 

 

  • No. 

 

  • Ok I see. Anyway you seem tired so do you want us to meet tomorrow at a cafe ? 

 

  • Oh … sure. Yuju wanted to know why but she felt like she had asked too much that question. 

 

  • Where do you want us to meet ? 

 

Yuju indicated the one where she should have meet the artist. She didn’t tell her why but she chose that cafe because it is where she saw Eunbi for the first time.
Eunbi looked surprised when she heard the location but then she nodded and went away.

The next day, Yuju felt like it was a deja-vu. As if she was searching for someone, but then again the blonde-haired girl surprised her by passing just in front of her without noticing her. Yuju thought about refrain of songs that repeat itself. However this time she went to her and tapped gently her shoulder. Eunbi turned towards her and she smiled at her. 

 

  • Oh you found me. she said and Yuju found her so cute.

 

  • Yeah 

 

They sat and ordered coffees. They both stayed quiet.

 

  • You know I really thought about it last night. began eventually Eunbi.

 

  • About what ? Yuju was confused and unknowingly afraid of what was Eunbi implying. 

 

  • I don’t want to know more about you. she responded with the same serious tone. 

 

  • Then why are we here, together ?

 

  • Because I want to be with you but I don’t want to know you. 

 

  • So it is again just for fun. sighed Yuju. 

 

  • No it is not. I want something serious but I don’t want something so clear. I want mystery. I want to know what it likes and how it feels to be with a stranger. 

 

Yuju found the explanation very poetic and also extremely familiar but she didn’t know why. 

 

  • So do you mind ? asked Eunbi. 

 

  • What ? 

 

  • Do you mind dating a stranger ? 

 

So Eunbi was literally asking her out. Yuju felt extremely happy knowing that. Still, it was just so weird and suspicious how Eunbi was willing to date a stranger. 

 

  • How can you date a stranger ? You don’t know me so you can’t love me. 

 

  • No, you are wrong. It is perfectly possible. One can love a stranger.  

 

Yuju wondered where did Eunbi got this idea. But deep down Yuju felt like a proof that is possible because she indeed really likes the girl. 

 

  • Ok I am willing to try. 

 

Eunbi smiled at her and Yuju felt butterflies in her stomach. Since that day, they started seeing each other often. They kissed, got intimate and even more but never do they talk about their professional nor personal lives. Of course they do know about some little information about each other like their favorite meal or coffee, their favorite clothes …

Months passed and Yuju kind of wanting to know more about her girlfriend, especially since she really feel like Eunbi was the one. The one she wanted to get married to. Eunbi was really enjoying all her times with Yuju. She really liked the feeling of being strangers but at the same time feeling like they knew each other well. One day, they went to the park near the club and Yuju confessed. 

 

  • Baby 

 

  • Yeah ?

 

  • I really want to know more about you. 

 

  • Why ? Is it necessary to be together ? 

 

  • Well, yeah if you want to go to the next level, you know. 

 

  • What do you mean by next level ? We have already done everything. teased Eunbi. 

 

  • No, not that ! You are such a ! I mean being in a serious relation. 

 

  • We are in a serious relation. We could even get married if you want. said Eunbi.

 

  • You say that as if it isn’t a big deal. 

 

  • Well it depends of you perception. It is not a big deal for me as I already feel like being married to you. I mean, I love you and I don’t need that engaged statut to love you. 

 

  • Oh … I see. Yuju was impressed by her girlfriend’s vision of love. Can I know just one thing ? 

 

  • Tell me.

 

  • Why did you want to date a stranger. Where did you get the idea from ? 

 

  • Oh… actually I got the idea from a song.

 

  • Oh yeah, which one ? 

 

  • I can’t tell you. It is too much information. 

 

  • At least give me the title please ? 

 

  • No, I can’t.

 

  • The producer then ?

 

  • Why do you care so much ? It is merely a song.

 

  • Oh … because to tell you the truth I am a songwriter. 

 

Eunbi seemed surprised. 

 

  • I know it is pretty uncommon but that’s my work and also my passion. So I know more than enough about music. 

 

  • Please Yuju. 

 

  • Please what ? 

 

  • You shouldn’t have released this information. 

 

  • Why ? Eunbi, I want you to know more about me. I don’t want us to be strangers anymore. 

 

Eunbi seemed pretty upset. 

 

  • Well if you don’t mind, I still need time. I mean, I am not ready to reveal personal information. 

 

  • Oh … ok. 

 

Yuju was sure, Eunbi hided something important about her life. And she didn’t know why but she felt like it was linked to music. 

 

The next day, Yuju decided to use the personal computer of the music company where she worked to do some research. She found the work she had previously done and something caught her eyes: the lovesong. She reread it because since the night she wrote it she had never reread it. And what strikes her the most was that the story reminds her too much of her love story with Eunbi. Could it be that Eunbi was referring to that same song ? Yuju had to ask her about that. Well, it is kind of weird because Yuju was told by her company that the song wasn’t released yet. The artist was still preparing the album especially since it will be her first one. Yuju was a songwriter but she didn’t really know the artist she was writing for. Her company kinda like this style of hers as she was not being influenced by any artist or whatsoever. 

She found the phone number of the artist and called her. Her manager replied and she manage to  settle down a meeting. She didn’t know why she asked for a meeting. She came up with the excuse that she wanted to meet the artist to apologize about last time. When she didn’t go to the meeting because of that blonde-haired stranger whose name is Eunbi. She also wanted to thank the artist because without the missed meeting she wouldn’t have met the love of her life. At last, she wanted the artist to know about what or rather who, were the lyrics. The meeting was planned three days after. After work, Yuju went back to the apartment she shared with Eunbi for a month. The latter was still at work. Yuju didn’t know what job was she doing but all that she knew was that it took her all her precious free time.

When she went home, Eunbi was always tired and sometimes she was dripping with sweat. That is why to Yuju’s mind, Eunbi was a soldier or something like that. This night she went home pretty early: at midnight. Yuju was already in the bed, waiting for her as always. 

 

  • Hey, said Eunbi. She looked clearly exhausted and her voice was rusky. 

 

  • Hey, did you catch a cold ? 

 

  • No, why do you say that ? 

 

  • Because of your voice.

 

  • Oh that, don’t worry it is nothing. Eunbi said as she jumped on the bed beside Yuju. 

 

Yuju smiled at her but deep down she was still worried. 

 

  • Bi, can I ask you something ? 

 

  • Yeah

 

  • Do you know any artist whose name is SinB ? 

 

Eunbi’s eyes widened at the sudden question.

  • Oh … why ?

 

  • Simply out of curiosity.

Eunbi didn’t answer the question but instead she said: 

 

  • Do you know her ?

 

  • No I don’t. But I did write a song for her. 

 

  • No way !!! 

 

Eunbi looked so surprised. Yuju had never seen Eunbi with that expression on her face. 

 

  • What the problem with that ? And you know what ? 

 

  • No please. I don’t want to hear more of it. I am tired, I want to sleep.

 

  • Oh … ok. 

 

Something was clearly fishy about Eunbi but Yuju chose to ignore it. 

The next day, Yuju was told by her manager that the meeting with SinB was canceled. She wanted to know the reason but he didn’t know either. She didn’t know why but she was sure Eunbi was responsible of this. 

In the evening, she went home and to her surprise Eunbi wasn’t there anymore. Yuju was just so confused. Where did she go ? Why wasn’t she coming back ? Yuju tried to call her in vain. Maybe was she in trouble somewhere? Maybe someone kidnapped her ? Yuju’s mind was going crazy. Yuju was too tired to do anything at the moment so she decided to wait till the next day. During the night she felt some movement in the room. She immediately woke up and she saw Eunbi looking for something in the cupboard. She stood up silently and caught her waist from behind. 

 

  • Where have you been ? she asked as Eunbi jumped because of the sudden touch.

 

  • I was at work. 

 

  • Still preparing, aren’t you ? 

 

  • Preparing what ? 

 

  • Your album. 

 

  • I don’t know what you are talking about. 

 

Yuju turned Eunbi toward her. 

 

  • I know you are lying. I am not a fool. I know that you are SinB. Why didn’t you want to tell me ? 


Eunbi looked down. 

  • Because we are still strangers. I like our relationship like this. I don’t want to be hurt now. I don’t want to know you are seeing another girl. 

 

  • I am not Eunbi. Why are you thinking that ? Yuju said while taking Eunbi's hands. 

 

  • Well, you remember the song I told you about ? Eunbi asked as she lifted her head to meet Yuju's eyes.

 

Yuju nodded. 

 

  • When I discovered that you were the writer of the song, I couldn’t help but get jealous knowing a girl made you feel this way.

 

Yuju frowned but stayed quiet. 

 

  • Don’t pretend you didn’t get inspired by a real girl when you wrote it ! There are too much details to be from your imagination. Eunbi said. 

 

  • You're right, I did draw inspiration from a real person. 

 

  • See ! And it was before we met, so I am sorry but I want us to stay strangers because I know that if I know too much I will get hurt. 

 

  • Eunbi, let me tell you something very personal about myself. This is something I must confess to you. 

 

  • Tell me. Eunbi seemed afraid of what was coming next. 

 

  • I have already met you before. It was at the meeting I canceled when I thought you were merely a stranger. I didn’t know you were the artist. You caught my eyes the moment I saw you. Yuju confessed while taking Eunbi's face in her hands and carressing it gently. 

 

  • Oh … really. I don't remember. But if that's the case that means that …

 

Yuju cut her to finish the sentence: 

 

  • I wrote a song about you. 

 

THE END