The Beach

Suho's Puppy

 

“Aren't you scared?” Sehun asked him out of the blue as they walked down a small path from the house to the beach.

“Of what?” Suho said, having no idea to what he was referring.

“That I'll get excited and just run away, and not know the way back? It's dangerous to walk your dog without a leash.” he chuckled.

Suho shook his head at his silliness, but couldn't help but let out a small smile. He was taking this dog-thing a little too seriously. He thought he would get bored of the joke after a while, but Sehun was apparently totally in character. Then all the times came to mind, where Sehun had gotten distracted and wandered off without paying attention to his surroundings, so maybe he had a point. Just to be on the safe side, Suho snuck his hand into Sehun's, softly securing it by intertwining their fingers. Sehun gave him the biggest, most crooked grin of all and the moment the water came into view, he started running towards it, pulling him along.

 

“It's gona getcha!” Suho warned him, as they played dare with the waves, Sehun standing extra close, watching a new wave being born. As the wave got bigger and started heading right for them, Sehun screeched and chickened out, running for higher ground, dragging him along since he still hadn't let go of his hand. He couldn't help laughing too, but then he tripped and brought Sehun down with him, crashing down into the sand.

Shocked to be suddenly face down in the sand, he glanced at Sehun, who looked equally taken aback, but the moment their eyes met, Sehun grinned widely and playfully attacked him, tickling him. Laughing, they rolled around in the sand, each trying to get the upper hand, but neither managing to hold it for long.

 

Exhausted, they lay on their backs on the deserted beach, catching their breaths. The weather was a tiny bit chilly, but beautiful. The sky was almost clear blue, except for a tiny little cloud marshmallow that was leisurely making its way across it. Suho took a deep breath. The air tasted better than in the city, fresher. He could feel how muscles he didn't even know had been tight began to relax. Maybe it hadn't been such a bad idea to take a mini-vacation. He emptied his mind of the worries that kept him company every day, focusing on the sound of the waves. He had almost reached a perfect calm when he felt his hand start to sink. He jumped, thinking he had had the bad luck of laying down on a sinkhole, finding Sehun's beautiful eyes staring back at him, sparkling with childlike joy.

“What are you doing?” he asked when he realized it had all been Sehun's doing.

“Hyung... dogs like digging. Can I bury you in the sand?” Sehun chuckled.

“What? No!” he refused his ridiculous request.

“Hyuuuuuuuuung...” Sehun put his chin on his upper arm, pouting not only with his lips but with his eyes as well. He tried to not let it affect him, but he was too darn cute.

“I'll be all sandy... there'll be sand everywhere..” he tried to reason with him.

“You're already all sandy.” Sehun smiled.

“But...” he tried to think of another reason, but found himself just marveling at how handsome Sehun really was. He did forget it from time to time, when life got hectic and he just needed things to get done, but he had never really gotten used to it. It was like living with a Hollywood superstar, waking up every morning to Ryan Reynolds, Ryan Gosling or Zac Efron, or perhaps all three at once. Even without make up, he was drop dead gorgeous. There was no arguing with that. Still, he was responsible for him so it was his job to ignore it and treat him like just another normal person, pretending it didn't affect him at all.

“Hyuuuuung... pleeeeeeeease....” Sehun doubled up on the poutiness, hugging him tightly. Suho could feel his defenses breaking down. His options were either to give in now, or face a bigger, more complicated problem as his heart started melting.

“Fine, fine! Just not the head!” he sighed, shaking his head.

“Yay!” Sehun exclaimed, getting right to work, happy as a dog burying his big, delicious bone.

 

It was actually more comfortable than it sounded, Suho almost fell asleep.

“All done! Okay, bye hyung!” Sehun stood up and prepared to leave him there.

“Hey! Wait! What! Come here, you little!” Suho struggled under a ton of sand. Sehun burst into a laughing fit and ran away. That little... Suho started panicking when it proved harder than it sounded to break free from his sand prison. But he persevered and with a lot of wiggling he finally broke free and ran after that bratty traitor.

He chased him up and down the coastline, finally giving up when he ran out of breath. He collapsed on the sand, looking at the setting sun on the horizon. Sehun stayed away for a bit, but eventually came back with his tail between his legs, sitting down next to him and clumsily dusting the sand off his shirt as a sign of repent. His skin was tingly everywhere Sehun's hand had touched him. Maybe the sand had scratched the skin underneath.

The sky turned pink and Sehun crawled into his arms, snuggling up to him as they watched the sun disappear behind the sea line. Just as if Sehun was his oversized puppy, he ruffled his hair gently. Today had actually been a pretty good day. The best one in a long while. He had needed that.