Chapter 6

Our Forever

Dong Soo frowned out of the curiosity as he stares at the 2 words which somehow had power unspoken to be able to block off an entire week of his young boss’ hectic work life.

“Medical examination.” He mouths silently then hums absently. On a whim he flips to last year’s calendar and saw the exact same words marking the exact same days. Curiouser and curiouser indeed.

The intercom on his desk beeped as a signal that he is being summoned. Eager as an enthusiastic puppy, Dong Soo left his desk and bounded excitedly into the young heir’s office.

“Yes boss?”

Seung Ho looked up from his tablet and stare evenly at his smiling assistant. A steady heart beat fluttered, tickling the wall of his chest. His hand went to the ticklish spot and presses down on it quickly to quell further disturbances.

“Beginning tomorrow , I will be away a week for my annual medical examination.” Seung Ho said with a deep sigh.

“I have taken note of that.” Dong Soo replied dutifully.

“I will remain contactable for urgent matters, except for the first day.”

“First…day?” Dong Soo is even more curious now. “Y-yes, I will take note of that too.”

“You can go back to your work now.” Seung Ho said dismissively. Dong Soo bowed slightly and turned to leave. Then just as quickly he turns around and eyes the petite figure infront of him.

“You are going to be okay, right?” Dong Soo asks nervously.

“Hmm?” Seung Ho’s head snaps up at the question and stares intensely at his blushing assistant. Then his stare softens and he replies, “Of course, I’m perfectly fine.”

Dong Soo smiles uncertainly before turning around again and leaving the room.

@

When he enters the office the next morning, Dong Soo could feel the emptiness in the air. There is also a wave of laxity in the air, workers appears less rigid as they went about their usual tasks. There is even a low hum of chit chattering and laughter.

Dong Soo could see the empty seat through the sliver of glass in the door every time he turns in his seat and his heart sinks a little more. Unconsciously he also sighs.

“Chang Wook sshi! Chang Wook sshi!” A hurried voice calls out ahead of its owner.

Dong Soo directs disinterested eyes and a sullen pout at the secretary of the Head of Business Expansion wheezing loudly to catch her breath before him.

“We need Seung Ho sshi to endorse this contract urgently!” she informs him excitedly.

“He’s away for his medical examination this week.” Dong Soo informs her gloomily.

“No can do! He must sign this by today!” She argues back.

“Tomorrow.” Dong Soo replies shortly.

“Today!” She disputes.

“He’s not reachable today.” Dong Soo informs her with sadistic glee.

“I happen to have Intel information that his examination doesn’t start till 10am!”

“So?” Dong Soo roll his eyes feeling irritated by the minute.

“So, you can still rush this to the hospital and get his signature!” The secretary replies smugly and shoves the document into Dong Soo’s arms before he could react. “Thank you for your hardwork!” She twitters happily and ran off faster than she came.

Dong Soo stares stupefied at the item hastily shoved into his arms then a smile slowly spreads on his narrow face. What a perfect chance to see Un today!

A quick glance at his watch told him he has 45 minutes left to get to the hospital so he hurries out.

 

Seung Ho is sitting in the plush armchair next to the huge glass window in his hospital suite. The morning sunshine filters through the thin drapes and fell on his face and shoulders giving him an ethereal glow. But his face is very grim and growing grimmer as he sneaks edgy glances at his wristwatch.

Footsteps enter the room and he raises his eyes to look at the man in doctor’s garb, standing behind him stood 2 nurses.

“It’s almost time.” The doctor announces grimly. Seung Ho grunts softly in reply. “Why don’t you return to bed?”

Seung Ho stood up from the cushy chair and marches to the side of his bed for the next 7 days. As he sinks into the firm mattress, the nurses came forward to adjust the covers around him. Then they wait in complete silence.

The moment the clock’s hand strikes the fatal number, the quiet in the room is shattered by rushed breathing which quickly escalated into shaky gasps and finally exploded into loud cries. Seung Ho’s body twists and turns uncontrollably as his fingers crawl frantically at his chest. His neck stretches grotesquely in unimaginable angles as he kicks weakly.

“Prepare to sedate the patient!” The doctor barks at his nurses.

Seung Ho howls aloud as his heart is seized again by another painful cramp. He couldn’t stop the helpless cries pouring out of his mouth because the shots of pain he is feeling is indescribable; like a knife repeatedly stabbing at his heart.

 

“UGHHH!!!” He screamed, his breathing came out in heavy shaky rasps as the edges of his sight darken rapidly.

Dong Soo stopped dead in his tracks at the doorway as he watched the commotion happening in the room. “Un ah!” He shouted as the tossing figure in bed is held down by nurses and injected in the arm by the doctor.

The loud wails slowly reduce to uneven wheezes then finally complete silence as Seung Ho fell into an induced coma. Dong Soo is still rooted at the doorway, his face ashen, eyes bulging and mouth agape.

The doctor made a last check before attempting to leave the room but Dong Soo blocked his exit.

“Doctor…the patient….” Dong Soo mutters unintelligibly.

“Who are you?” The doctor retorts suspiciously.

“I’m…I’m his personal assistant.”

Immediately the doctor’s stern facade softens and Dong Soo pounced on the opportunity to ask about his boss’ condition.

“It’s a yearly thing. He has heart seizure on the same day, right down to the same second, every year since the age of 5.”

“Heart seizure?” Dong Soo’s heart skipped a beat and his face went a shade paler.

“The patient describes the pain felt like a knife went through his heart.” The doctor replied absently. Dong Soo felt himself lose balance as his world spun. The doctor grabbed and steadied the wavering figure. “Hey, are you ok?”

Dong Soo could feel his body slowly freezing up. He can still recall vividly how Un died. On a whim, he checked the time. His heart nearly stopped; the time of Un’s passing……is right around…..now.

“Hey, are you ok?” The doctor is worried to see Dong Soo’s face turn a shade of green and he fears that he might faint too.

Dong Soo works his jaw several times but no words came out. He blinks a few times then pushes the doctor’s hands gently away to stagger into the room towards the high bed.

“Un ah, it’s really you! I finally found you!” Dong Soo wept gripping the cold limp fingers within his own. “Finally I can see you and…touch you….again….”

 

Seung Ho remained heavily sedated for the rest of the day and Dong Soo was right there beside him watching over his sleeping form. Whenever Seung Ho’s brows start to twitch uneasily, Dong Soo will reach out and gently crush his fingers into his palm. That slight act of comfort would quickly ease the pain forming on Seung Ho’s sleeping face.

Time slowly tick by. Dong Soo sat with his elbows on his knees, lean forward in a ready to pounce posture in case Un needs him. Something clicks in his mind and he reached out to gingerly pull Seung Ho’s pajamas collar aside. His eyes widen to the size of large grapes at the sight of the reddish mark above Seung Ho’s heart. It is a simple vertical line but the length and width of the line is the size of a sword’s blade. Somehow he knew that there will be a similar mark on Seung Ho’s back coinciding with the mark on the front; as if a sword had enter and exit the chest and impaling the heart in between.

Dong Soo’s hand shook violently at the distressing revelation and lost his grip on the tiny sliver of cloth.

Un may be reborn without the memory of his previous life but he bears the agony of all of his last living moments. Not knowing why is the biggest fear.

Teardrops rim Dong Soo’s eyes and fell quickly in succession as he weeps for his friend’s plight.