Chapter 3

Our Forever

Seung Ho sat up in the high bed propped up effortlessly by a mountain of soft pillows behind him. His face is a look of dutiful obedience as his grandfather drones on about something or other. He had woken up in the morning thinking that it is no different from any other day only to feel lethargic and slightly dazed. His eyelids started to droop, his body sags ever so slightly into the pillows and his consciousness begins to wane……he is having an out of body experience at 9 in the morning!

Noticing how gaunt his grandson looks moved the elderly man a little and he stood up to leave. Seung Ho jerks awake at the sudden movement.

“Have a good rest then.” The grandfather tries to sound as concerning as he could.

“Thank you for coming, hal-abeoji.” Seung Ho managed a small nod at the retreating figure. As the door clicked shut, he fell back again the softness and snooze.

 

Some time later, Seung Ho’s consciousness begins to sharpen as he gradually regains lucidness again. Before he opens his eyes, he could feel a presence in the room with him. His heart leapt into his mouth when he saw the stranger sitting right next to him the moment he opens his eyes. Out of reflex he jumped away. “Wh-who?”

“Un-“ The stranger jumped onto his feet and into Seung Ho’s personal space, causing the youth to retreat in a hurry.

“Who are you?” Seung Ho demands brusquely, his eyes wide with alarm. The stranger sensing his distress moved back quickly.

“I’m….my name is Ji Chang Wook.” Dong Soo decides to introduce himself formally, using the pseudonym he had adopted for the last 50 years.

Despite his feeling of uncertainty, Seung Ho nodded a greeting in return.

Dong Soo observes gauntness, helplessness, extreme confusion appearing on the other’s face and decides that this is not the time to stress him further.

“I came to see if you are feeling better.” Dong Soo displays his signature dimple. “You really gave us a good scare by passing out like that yesterday.”

Seung Ho’s face relaxes visibly. His eyes crinkled and he smiled widely. Dong Soo’s heart leapt with joy at seeing that beautiful smile directed at him again after hundreds of years of waiting.

“Thank you for your concern, I’m feeling fine. I have no idea what happened to me yesterday but I am sorry to make you worry.”

Dong Soo cringe slightly at how formal Un is speaking to him and instead forces a smile in return. Seung Ho has no reason to relax in the presence of a stranger. Dong Soo is disappointed that Un doesn’t seem to remember their past but he is equally determined to make him remember.

“I’m glad to see that you’re well now. I’ll be going then.” Dong Soo said as he stood up from his seat. The relief on Seung Ho’s face stabbed his heart hard. With another forced smile, he bowed and made his exit.

@

Seung Ho baulked when he saw the person entering his office. His grandfather had informed him that morning that his new personal assistant has been chosen and he will be reporting for work the same day.

“Hi.” Dong Soo greeted cutely with a casual flick of his wrist.

“Yo-“ Seung Ho utters in disbelief.

“Good morning, SeungHo sshi. I’m your new personal assistant, Ji Chang Wook.” Dong Soo introduces himself mischievously. His playful smile died quickly when he saw Seung Ho’s facial muscles stiffen and the corners of his mouth droop. The wilting look in his eyes made Dong Soo swallow painfully. In a flash, Seung Ho resembles a very firm boss.

“There is no place for your cheekiness in my office, Chang Wook sshi.” Seung Ho chides. Dong Soo could not wipe the self-indulging smile off his face, the familiar deep voice chiding him is a vital part of his memories. Un spends a lot of their time together preventing or getting him out of trouble.

Seung Ho is mildly taken aback at the admiring look in his new assistant’s eyes. He knows it’s probably best for his own sake to fire the newcomer immediately but something familiar is tugging at his heart preventing him from considering further. Memory neurons are firing in his brain telling him that this won’t be the last time he will have to put his assistant in his place.

The young heir sighed inwardly. “You can start by planning my schedule for next week.” Seung Ho said as a way of dismissal but the person being dismissed doesn’t seem to understand the message. “You can go now.”

“Go? Oh! Yes! Yes, go.” Dong Soo laughs and hurries out of the plush office.

Outside, Dong Soo found his desk. From his seat he has the vantage point of seeing his young boss through the parts of glass in the wooden door.

“AISH, rude brat! I’m your hyung after all!” Dong Soo mutters under his breath but he could not suppress the light giggle from escaping him.